REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:16 AM   #26
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,751 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
So has anyone found anything in this that shows any of these people have done anything illegal? Or is it all just "they used a service that has the potential to be used for illegal purposes"?
Fonseca is actually a very transparent firm when it comes to its services. It's just people perception of the elites "cheating"... actually... taking advantage of their resources ($$$) and our complex tax system to optimize their tax efficiency, demands a fair or equal treatment among all taxpayers.

Of course there would be people who use such system for illegal activities, but what Mossack Fonseca is doing (the procedure itself) is totally legit.

It charges about u$1200 to register an offshore company. With some more money, it finds an associate to represent your company... pay even more, you get to hide pretty much all the information of shareholders. This is actually done in pretty much every single legal firm that specializes in offshore and no, it's not illegal to remain anonymous.

The part where it gets tricky is what they do with these companies... and of course it costs more money. But it usually involves insurance, trust, or some form of gifting to achieve the tax-free status.

Think it this way... let's say you want to buy an income property somewhere outside of Canada. You gift the money to your dad (or someone outside of CDN tax system) and your dad creates offshore entity in his name to own the property and get all the money. The company also invest the rent in whatever you feel like investing, and finally, it uses a gift clause (cash gift is tax free in Canada... unlimited, while both entities are alive) to give cash gift from dad to son.
Advertisement
Old 04-05-2016, 02:41 AM   #27
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
So has anyone found anything in this that shows any of these people have done anything illegal? Or is it all just "they used a service that has the potential to be used for illegal purposes"?
Yup, the PM of Iceland is one:

Panama Papers: Iceland PM's investments questioned - BBC News

TLDR: He hid a bunch of money in a company there, transferred it to his wife before entering office, rather than declaring it, then used it to profit from the banking crisis.

Here's Iceland's reaction:

24,000 people in a country with a population of 323,000 show up at his front door wanting him out.

There will be plenty more to come I'm sure
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2016, 05:33 AM   #28
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Let's burn him, and the rest of them, at the stake... because you know, tax evasion is a new concept.
Reeyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:16 AM   #29
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
And just in case we forgot about a former PM and trudeau supporter/adviser...Prime Minister Paul Martin’s ship empire was based in Barbados, beyond taxation in Canada, and only a few of us dared to raise a fuss.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2016, 08:34 AM   #30
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
And just in case we forgot about a former PM and trudeau supporter/adviser...Prime Minister Paul Martin’s ship empire was based in Barbados, beyond taxation in Canada, and only a few of us dared to raise a fuss.
We didn't have access to information back then like we do now. The internet has changed a lot of things, and this is one of them. While in the 90's we knew that PM's company was based offshore, not too many of us knew what that meant. I was guilty myself when the Panama papers came out. But spend an hour online reading and watching, and my knowledge base has grown immensely.

I wish that Canadians were as angry as the Icelanders. But frankly, I'm too busy chasing the dream to protest. Welcome to North America in 2016. We know we're being shafted, but no one really has the energy to care. Modern slavery wins again.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-05-2016, 08:42 AM   #31
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Spoiler!

looks like he resigned
Icelandic PM Sigmundur David Gunnlaugsson offers resignation amid offshore tax questions | CTV News
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:49 AM   #32

Democracy fucking rules
Old 04-05-2016, 08:54 AM   #33
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Democracy fucking rules
Wtf? How?

He was able to hide his assets and was elected.

He profited from the position of power he was in.

He resigns without any penalty.

Probably still entitled to benefits of being in office.
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:03 AM   #34
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Tax evasion scheme is vast. Most people who make serious coins does it, in different levels of course. Wouldnt be suprised if the company you work for does it. Its unethical but for some part, not illegal as it targets loopholes.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:03 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
Wtf? How?

He was able to hide his assets and was elected.

He profited from the position of power he was in.

He resigns without any penalty.

Probably still entitled to benefits of being in office.
Because he got booted out the day after people found out all that

And you can be sure charges will follow

Compare that to shitty countries where he would still be in power, even more corrupt, and probably arresting anyone who spoke out against him.

That's "wtf" how
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2016, 09:15 AM   #36
I don't get it

Here is some more education for you about Iceland that was never publicized for obvious reasons.
Instead of signing up their offspring/future generations to the debt of the current generation they refused to kick the can down the road. The average Icelander is much more politically involved/aware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
We didn't have access to information back then like we do now. The internet has changed a lot of things, and this is one of them. While in the 90's we knew that PM's company was based offshore, not too many of us knew what that meant. I was guilty myself when the Panama papers came out. But spend an hour online reading and watching, and my knowledge base has grown immensely.

I wish that Canadians were as angry as the Icelanders. But frankly, I'm too busy chasing the dream to protest. Welcome to North America in 2016. We know we're being shafted, but no one really has the energy to care. Modern slavery wins again.
Digitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2016, 09:24 AM   #37
I am Hook'd on RS

Revenue Canada and the IRS are going to be busy squeezing every ounce of blood they can get from Canadians and US Citizens/Residents with Panamanian off-shore accounts.

For those who are interested, here is the complete (global) list of individuals and companies with off-shore accounts in Panama.

Edit: The list, I just realized, contains all created in 10 off-shore jurisditions including the BVI, Cook Islands, and Singapore. Panama list is not yet in that database.

Last edited by plat27265; 04-05-2016 at 09:43 AM.
plat27265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:45 AM   #38
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post

As long as the economy is doing relatively well, and people are living relatively good lives, you are not going to see any kind of major protests or social unrest, regardless of how corrupt the government / leadership is. For the most part, most people just want to live a decently happy life of their own, and it would take too much time, energy, and effort for them to pursue justice -- pursuing that would dramatically reduce their own quality of life.

Case in point -- China has one of the world's most corrupt government + political leaders, but mass protests pretty much only happen when the poor are pushed to the brink of their existence.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:05 AM   #39
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
As long as the economy is doing relatively well, and people are living relatively good lives, you are not going to see any kind of major protests or social unrest, regardless of how corrupt the government / leadership is. For the most part, most people just want to live a decently happy life of their own, and it would take too much time, energy, and effort for them to pursue justice -- pursuing that would dramatically reduce their own quality of life.

Case in point -- China has one of the world's most corrupt government + political leaders, but mass protests pretty much only happen when the poor are pushed to the brink of their existence.
unless youre a billionaire or part of a politically connected family your political power/influence is almost nil.

you can start a protest/uprising but in the end of the day you still have to elect a leader, and whos to say that leader will fulfill their promises?

we're lucky we live in Canada where most of our leaders are fairly reasonable and less corrupt than other place.
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:20 AM   #40
I don't get it

America will be awesome if only they'd vote in Bernie.
The guy who said white people dont like what it's like to be poor.
The guy who was not employed until age 40 living off the tax payers.
The guy who thinks social justice is taxing the rich and giving to the poor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Bernie brought this up years ago when the trade agreement was going through

https://youtu.be/LrsI0Sw2hq8

Naturally, it still went through because the people in power are the ones involved in this shit

Panama Papers: Obama, Clinton Pushed Trade Deal Amid Warnings It Would Make Money Laundering, Tax Evasion Worse

Please America, elect this man!

Here's Hilary's take on the agreement:

"Taken together, these initiatives are the leading edge of a job-creating trade agenda that will open markets, level the playing field for our businesses and workers, and champion America's working families in an age of tough global competition. They deserve the historic and widespread support they received in Congress tonight. We will continue our work to rebuild an American consensus on trade."

Blah blah blah, what bullshit
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-05-2016, 03:24 PM   #41
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by plat27265 View Post
Revenue Canada and the IRS are going to be busy squeezing every ounce of blood they can get from Canadians and US Citizens/Residents with Panamanian off-shore accounts.

For those who are interested, here is the complete (global) list of individuals and companies with off-shore accounts in Panama.

Edit: The list, I just realized, contains all created in 10 off-shore jurisditions including the BVI, Cook Islands, and Singapore. Panama list is not yet in that database.
CRA is too weak/not enough resources to go after rich people represented by the Big 4 accounting firms.
They'll rather go after 10 small business owners than 1 rich person.

IRS on the other hand makes anybody bend over like UBS.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:49 PM   #42
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
oh wow, what a surprise... people wanna keep their money and not pay taxes cuz... they can? so they do?

LOL.

Hmmm i just sold my used rims... i better report that as income... like all of you guys do.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-06-2016, 06:44 AM   #43
they call me the snowman

Ulic's, you are just so fucking stupid sometimes.....
This post thanked by:
Old 04-06-2016, 07:22 AM   #44
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
I think Ulic is schizophrenic.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-06-2016, 10:02 AM   #45
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagella View Post
I think Ulic is schizophrenic.
With a dash of psychopathy?

lol, I'm sorry for going there Ulic. But sometimes your replies are just so asinine, that I can't help myself.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:53 AM   #46
I don't get it

According to some people blackmail is the strongest form of currency.
Just ask Hillary Clinton
So do you think theres a chance the reason why the US citizens involved is because they might be delegates or superdelegates?
Old 04-06-2016, 02:25 PM   #47
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
I'm confused, what's the big deal? If it's legal, it's legal. Change the laws, but I don't really see a big deal in someone having an offshore company.

http://www.e38registry.org/
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 03:03 PM   #48
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
I'm confused, what's the big deal? If it's legal, it's legal. Change the laws, but I don't really see a big deal in someone having an offshore company.
You are correct. No big deal for a company to have off-shore accounts for legit business purposes. However, it is a very well known fact that a lot of off-shore accounts in tax haven countries are meant to skirt around the tax laws of the country where the individual resides. A lot of these off-shore accounts are used to stash ill-gotten wealth that would otherwise be easily traceable if hidden in bank accounts in the country where the owner resides.

For example, a government official that steals money from his/her government can open an off-shore bank account to keep the money in a jurisdiction that is out of reach of his/her country. No one was supposed to know until all these off-shore bank accounts got leaked to the press. Now, these people are in hot water and need to explain where they got their wealth since they did not declare it in their tax declarations or returns.
plat27265 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-06-2016, 03:09 PM   #49
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
i wonder if anyone tried black mailing panama first before leaking the information...send me 1 billion dollars and no one knows...no?..okay heres the information of you clients.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:19 PM   #50
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
You know some people are probably already dead because of these. Fucking dirty business but c'est la vie.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote