REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Earls swiches to American beef (https://www.revscene.net/forums/708649-earls-swiches-american-beef.html)

Manic! 04-28-2016 10:50 PM

Earls swiches to American beef

Earls has switched from Alberta beef to beef from the US because it could not find enough humane beef in Canada. The new beef is also Halal so I will never eat at Earls again.

Earls restaurants' move to drop Alberta beef provokes backlash - Calgary - CBC News

320icar 04-28-2016 10:53 PM

So.... They want to serve humanely treated beef, so they sourced it from a place that can actually supply their demand?

What heartless bastards

Manic! 04-28-2016 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320icar (Post 8751099)
So.... They want to serve humanely treated beef, so they sourced it from a place that can actually supply their demand?

What heartless bastards

I don't know how an using a serrated blade on an animal to saw the neck open and let it bleed out to death could be considered humane.

nabs 04-28-2016 11:11 PM

YESSSS HALAL BEEF!!!!! can't wait!!

nabs 04-28-2016 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8751101)
I don't know how an using a serrated blade on an animal to saw the neck open and let it bleed out to death could be considered humane.

Ummm for Halal you're not supposed to use a serrated blade... blade has to be clean, straight and non serrated, and one cut into the jugular.

adambomb 04-28-2016 11:17 PM

...then serve it with your choice of rice or vegetables like God intended. :nicethread:

SoNaRWaVe 04-28-2016 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nabs (Post 8751105)
Ummm for Halal you're not supposed to use a serrated blade... blade has to be clean, straight and non serrated, and one cut into the jugular.

so it still bleeds to death. doesn't sound like a fast death.

320icar 04-28-2016 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8751097)
Earls has switched from Alberta beef to beef from the US because it could not find enough humane beef in Canada. The new beef is also Halal so I will never eat at Earls again.

Earls restaurants' move to drop Alberta beef provokes backlash - Calgary - CBC News

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8751101)

Manic! 04-28-2016 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320icar (Post 8751114)

They claim it's Humane.

CRS 04-28-2016 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8751116)
They claim it's Humane.

And you claim it isn't?

If that's the case, you should present your argument and source!

Razor Ramon HG 04-29-2016 12:15 AM

Cows killed using the Halal method is probably the most inhumane method ever.

Manic! 04-29-2016 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 8751117)
And you claim it isn't?

If that's the case, you should present your argument and source!

Think about it if you where going to be killed how would you like to go? A swift chop on the back of your neck guillotine style cutting threw your spine and all your pain sensors or a knife across your throat.

Traum 04-29-2016 12:28 AM

From my reading of the news from other outlets, it seems to me that the Canadian cattle ranchers were primarily lacking in:

1) the volume, and
2) the necessary documentation to prove that their cattle raising practices were humane, no unnecessary antibiotics, etc.

IMO, Earls is pretty stupid here because they just didn't see what was coming at them. The only reason Earls wants to do this "Certified Humane" meat stuff is because they want to use it as a promotional tool to gain some competitive advantage over their competitors. But clearly, given Alberta beef's long standing reputation here in Canada, ditching them outright is just going to be disastrous. You really don't need a marketing degree to see the backlash that will come from such a move, and now it has happened.

Dumb... just dumb. It never fails to amaze me how businesses can be so dumb to commit their blatantly obvious business blunders.

geeknerd 04-29-2016 12:50 AM

The certified humane is only one aspect. It's more about the antibiotic and hormone free part they are trying to promote. The demographics in vancouver and probably T.dot will love that part.

flagella 04-29-2016 05:01 AM

Never ceases to amaze me how much people care about useless shit like this. Well, humans are just never satisfied. Once you feed them and save them from starvation, they will start worry about the animals.

Hondaracer 04-29-2016 05:35 AM

I doubt any cows coming from these meat factories died a pleasant death regardless of the blade used.

StylinRed 04-29-2016 06:41 AM

My primary concerns would be if the meat is antibiotic and hormone free.

I would then be concerned with the source of the meat, American beef? Eeeew, did Harper make it easier for companies to buy from the states? am not a fan.

I've no problem with Halal/Kosher Meats... Meats meat, treating the animals with respect before their death and a pain free culling would be appreciated. If you have an issue with how that's conducted, that's another issue..

I imagine there are nicer/quicker ways of killing an animal than what was available hundreds of years ago, but are those methods even employed by non-halal/kosher butchers?

melloman 04-29-2016 07:06 AM

Good thing I only eat the cajun chicken sandwich at Earls. :lawl:

unit 04-29-2016 07:09 AM

i'm all for supporting local but what's with these types of stories making the news lately and becoming the talk of the town? people supporting french's over heinz ketchup because they use canadian tomatoes was a pretty bizzare form of patriotism considering we send so many of our dollars to multinational companies, and then suddenly a $3 bottle of ketchup you might buy one or two of per year matters so much

pastarocket 04-29-2016 07:20 AM

-definitely not gonna eat burgers from Earl's. :lawl:

I'll ask a friend, who works as a chef at Earl's Test Kitchen, how the Kansas beef tastes compared to the Alberta beef. :troll:

StylinRed 04-29-2016 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unit (Post 8751156)
i'm all for supporting local but what's with these types of stories making the news lately and becoming the talk of the town? people supporting french's over heinz ketchup because they use canadian tomatoes was a pretty bizzare form of patriotism considering we send so many of our dollars to multinational companies, and then suddenly a $3 bottle of ketchup you might buy one or two of per year matters so much

there's a long answer, a CiC style answer, or a suggestion, take some sociology, and history classes, even economics courses, they will really open your eyes up to things, and answer your questions regarding that

its a mix of economy, media, and how ppl tick, which results in reactions like this :D

6o4__boi 04-29-2016 07:25 AM

people still eat at earl's?

i'd be angrier if they started replacing their canadian servers and waitresses with american ones
:ifyouknow:

Digitalis 04-29-2016 07:34 AM

U gotta be kidding, just drive north or east 3 hours from here and look at how many cows there are.

jasonturbo 04-29-2016 07:36 AM

I don't know what's so complicated about this, there are a number of standard organizations for Beef, Earls told all the Canadian ranchers 2-3 years ago they were looking to move to this Certified Humane standard, the Canadian ranchers were not interested in obtaining the certification and now Earls won't buy their beef.

Regarding the slaughter issue, they still use the bolt to render them insensible prior to cutting the throat... pretty much standard issue.

Quote:

S 1: Slaughter systems
All slaughter systems must be designed and managed to ensure livestock are not caused
unnecessary distress or discomfort.
a. The slaughter plant must meet the American Meat Institute (AMI) Guidelines (as
written by Dr. Temple Grandin). AMI Guidelines can be found at
Certified Humane - A Project of Humane Farm Animal Care under the Standards section.
b. The slaughter plant must be inspected by Humane Farm Animal Care’s inspectors to
verify compliance with the AMI Guidelines.
c. HFAC will also audit the slaughter plant for traceability to ensure that all the product
that is labeled with the Certified Humane® logo originates from Certified Humane®
farms
http://certifiedhumane.org/wp-conten...Guidelines.pdf

Quote:

When evaluating the effectiveness of captive bolt stunning, the auditor monitors whether or not an animal is
rendered insensible with a single shot.
Score a minimum of 100 animals in large plants and 50 in plants that process 50 to 99 per hour. In very small
plants, which process less than 50 animals per hour, score one hour of production. For a more accurate
assessment in small plants, data collected over a period of time should be averaged. These criteria apply to
all species.
Excellent – 99 percent or more instantly rendered insensible with one shot
Acceptable – 95 percent or more instantly rendered insensible with one shot
Not Acceptable – less than 95 percent instantly rendered insensible with one shot
Serious Problem – less than 90 percent instantly rendered insensible with one shot
If one-shot efficacy falls below 95 percent, immediate action must be taken to improve the percentage. Note
that shots in the air where the animal is not touched do not count as missed shots. If the stunner bolt makes
any visible mark or injury on the animal, a missed shot is counted. Touching with the outer housing that
surrounds the bolt does not count as a missed shot. Some plants routinely shoot animals twice to insure
insensibility. In this situation, the auditor must examine the animal for return to sensibility before the second
shot is applied. This is necessary to insure that the stunner is capable of rendering 95 percent or more of the
animals insensible with a single shot.

GLOW 04-29-2016 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melloman (Post 8751155)
Good thing I only eat the cajun chicken sandwich at Earls. :lawl:

good thing i don't eat at earls :fuckthatshit: