REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-11-2016, 11:51 AM   #1626
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
yup...another stroke of genius
another prospect potentially ruined by misdevelopment

Opening Night looks to be

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson
Granlund-Sutter-Hansen
Bae-Bo-Skille/Horvat
Dorsett-Gaunce-Burrows

Tanev-Edler
Hut-Gud
Sbisa-Larsen
Tryamkin-Biega

Miller-Markstrom

lmfao that Sbisa-Larsen all-tank combo
Virtanen figures to be the extra foward...meaning he'll get odd games in and play 8-12 minutes depending on Willie's mood.
Advertisement
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:56 AM   #1627
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
It wasn't until the Cooke on Savard and Richards on Booth blindside hits that the NHL finally decided to start cracking down on headshots (and neither of those resulted in supplemental discipline).

Go back and watch the 2009 Canucks-Blackhawks series and you'll see a bunch of plays in every game that would result in suspensions today. Back then, most of them weren't even penalties.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:08 PM   #1628
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
Stevens took out both Lindros and Kariya but but both of those hits were fully clean. He was one of the best Dmen to play the game in my eyes.
Makes you wonder if either of those hits happened today how many games would he be suspended for?
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-11-2016, 12:48 PM   #1629
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Even at the time, I hated those hits from Stevens. Not just because I was Lindros/Kariya fan. I was and still am in favour of fighting and hitting remaining in the game. What I disliked was that he knew that he had the power to end a career or a life with those hits. Sure, he was playing within the rules, but players should have some respect for the well-being of each other.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:25 PM   #1630
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Pukkinen cannot skate
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:31 PM   #1631

he has bad skating but is at least nhl ready iq wise, which would make him a decent stop gap. on the other hand virtanen just isnt nhl ready

also willie.. yikes.. what does he do while coaching to be able to say this?

Old 10-11-2016, 01:47 PM   #1632
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
It wasn't until the Cooke on Savard and Richards on Booth blindside hits that the NHL finally decided to start cracking down on headshots (and neither of those resulted in supplemental discipline).

Go back and watch the 2009 Canucks-Blackhawks series and you'll see a bunch of plays in every game that would result in suspensions today. Back then, most of them weren't even penalties.
Wonder where David Booth would be had that Richards hit never happened
spideyv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:55 PM   #1633
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post

We lose a lot of talent to head injuries in hockey.
  • Eric Lindros was never the same after that douchecanoe Scott Stevens took his head off. Then Stevens career was cut short by his own head injuries.
  • Paul Kariya was one of my favorites until some nickel store goon took him out.
  • Pat Lafontaine was going to bring the Islanders back to glory until head injuries put him off his skates
That is what I hate about the NHL Front Office, they do not do much to protect their superstars. And you wonder why the NHL isn't even considered a top 4 Pro League in North American in many circles. These stars should be untouchables.

Also for the NHLPA, they should set guidelines and "gentlemen's agreements" about these things. Why? Because they are dealing with each other's careers. Especially for a notoriously physical sport like ice hockey. In the NBA, where the athletes are more imposing, and grew up with much rougher backgrounds, you barely see career ending flagrant fouls or all out slug fests. The NBA has done a great job to protect its money makers. And the Players Association of the NBA has done a good job of protecting the players from each other as well.

I started noticing this when Bure tore his ACL vs. Chicago back in 96 and when Lemieux was being hacked like crazy by some nobody back in 98 or 99. I mean c'mon, Mario Lemieux, top 2 GOAT. You don't fucking do that to Mario Lemieux.

Anyways, back on the head trauma talk. This reminded me of this pod case with JRE and Dr. Mark Gordon regarding multiple head trauma and its effects with military men.

Which leads me to Rick Rypien (RIP). Bare knuckle brawler with severe head trauma from fighting. With the hormone imbalances to his brain, probably lead to severe depression and suicide.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:51 PM   #1634
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,257 Times in 1,621 Posts
glad they finally made the right decision on etem
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:34 PM   #1635

Quote:
Originally Posted by will068 View Post
That is what I hate about the NHL Front Office, they do not do much to protect their superstars. And you wonder why the NHL isn't even considered a top 4 Pro League in North American in many circles. These stars should be untouchables.

Also for the NHLPA, they should set guidelines and "gentlemen's agreements" about these things. Why? Because they are dealing with each other's careers. Especially for a notoriously physical sport like ice hockey. In the NBA, where the athletes are more imposing, and grew up with much rougher backgrounds, you barely see career ending flagrant fouls or all out slug fests. The NBA has done a great job to protect its money makers. And the Players Association of the NBA has done a good job of protecting the players from each other as well.

I started noticing this when Bure tore his ACL vs. Chicago back in 96 and when Lemieux was being hacked like crazy by some nobody back in 98 or 99. I mean c'mon, Mario Lemieux, top 2 GOAT. You don't fucking do that to Mario Lemieux.
why the fuck should they be untouchable? then you get stars throwing bad hits and getting away with it. the fact they deal with that shit and go on makes it all that more impressive. allstars in other leagues get hurt too, that isnt the reason its not top4.
this isnt a non contact sport like the nba, mlb, or soccer. your panties are in a knot.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:42 PM   #1636
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by will068 View Post
The NHL was the first of the top 4 pro leagues to institute a concussion protocol back in 1997.
The NHL was 10 years later while the NBA still doesn't have anything in place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:08 PM   #1637
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
I don't get how the Canucks are projected last for this season?

We basically lost tank master Bartowski, Hamhuis, McCann, and Vrbata.

We replace them with Gudbranson, Eriksson, Rodin.

But we're adding back Sutter and half our d core (injuries).

As much as we need to tank and get top pick, I don't think we will unless we run into injury troubles.
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:33 PM   #1638

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
I don't get how the Canucks are projected last for this season?

We basically lost tank master Bartowski, Hamhuis, McCann, and Vrbata.

We replace them with Gudbranson, Eriksson, Rodin.

But we're adding back Sutter and half our d core (injuries).

As much as we need to tank and get top pick, I don't think we will unless we run into injury troubles.
Well, look at our season last year ...

Record: 31-38-13, 75 points (28th)

Goals For: 186 (29th)
Goals Against: 239 (23rd)
Goal Differential: -53 (30th)

PP Opp For: 247 (21st)
PP Goals For: 39 (28th)
PP%: 15.8% (27th)
SH Goals Against: 8 (22nd)

PP Opp Against: 249 (11th)
PP Goals Against: 47 (16th)
PK%: 81.1% (17th)
SH Goals For: 4 (21st)

Shots For: 28.2/GP (28th)
Shots Against: 32.5/GP (29th)

FO%: 45.4% (30th)

We were bottom half of the league in basically every category

Assume our lines, when healthy, look like:
D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Eriksson
Baertschi - Horvat - Rodin
Granlund - Sutter - Hansen
Burrows - Gaunce - Dorsett

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Gudbranson
Sbisa - Larsen

Miller
Markstrom

The 2nd line, whether you consider that to be Horvat's line or Sutter's line, is well below average on paper.

Take a look at the 13-18 ranked teams from last year, for example.

Philadelphia (Raffl-Couturier-Voracek)
Nashville (Forsberg-Johansen-Smith)
Detroit (Helm-Datsyuk-Richards)
Boston (Eriksson-Krejci-Pastrnak)
Minnesota (Zucker-Koivu-Niederreiter)
Carolina (Nordstrom-J. Staal-Nestrasil)

All of those 2nd lines have star players on them (maybe not so much Jordan Staal anymore). And that's just the bubble teams, let alone the top 12, which featured players like Toews, Malkin, etc. on their 2nd lines.

Our Faceoff % will hopefully be better with a healthy Sutter and a healthy Henrik, but I wouldn't expect us to be any better than average.

Our top 4 defensemen look okay, likely underrated by the eastern media. Sbisa is an okay #5 and Biega is a steady #7/#8, but there are a whole lot of question marks after that. Given our history of injuries on defense, I'm not particularly confident.

Our goaltending is average.

For the record, I don't think we'll finish last, but with our lack of proven scoring depth, it's a volatile roster. A couple of key long-term injuries could mean the difference between competing for the playoffs and competing for Nolan Patrick.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-11-2016, 11:28 PM   #1639
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaz View Post
why the fuck should they be untouchable? then you get stars throwing bad hits and getting away with it. the fact they deal with that shit and go on makes it all that more impressive. allstars in other leagues get hurt too, that isnt the reason its not top4.
this isnt a non contact sport like the nba, mlb, or soccer. your panties are in a knot.
Simple..You protect your money makers. You protect the the stars that fill the seats. You don't get the crowd, you don't get the revenue/popularity. If the stars are going to get hurt, sure. But if it was flagrantly caused by some nobody on the other team. Eff that.

What kind of art student buffonery logic do you have ? Untouchables meaning the stars are protected from being targets. That doesn't excuse the stars from being goons and flagrantly injuring others.

The NFL understands this. Look what happenned with the Saints and the bounty scandal. It was addressed by their front office right away.

Bottom line, you make your superstars look good, you make more money.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:45 AM   #1640

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post

Here's a good example 22 years ago where a star player (one we all know) got fed up of being abused. What would this elbow get you now a days in regards to suspension?

Fast forward 30 seconds in.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-12-2016, 09:36 AM   #1641
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Here's a good example 22 years ago where a star player (one we all know) got fed up of being abused. What would this elbow get you now a days in regards to suspension?

Fast forward 30 seconds in.
Cool fact:
Shane Churla, the recipient of the Bure elbow had a cousin named Rick Rypien. Churla born in Fernie, while Rick was born just over the BC/Alberta border. They grew up a generation apart, but both ended up in the NHL.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-12-2016, 09:37 AM   #1642
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Watch: Sabres' Eichel leaves practice with ankle injury after awkward fall | theScore.com

Ouch

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:12 AM   #1643
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Wayne Gretzky officially returns to Edmonton Oilers - Sportsnet.ca

The Great One returns to Edmonton as partner and vice chairman of Oilers Entertainment Group.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:19 AM   #1644
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stRider View Post
Ouch
That could be a very bad injury.
5 years ago I tore 5 of the 7 ankle ligaments in an industrial accident. WCB had me going to physio twice a week, and cryo therapy once a week. Even doing everything right, from drinking lots of water and eating right, it still took 3 months before I could get back on the ice. Then another month for me to be able to really push it.

This could put him out until Xmas.

Old 10-12-2016, 01:02 PM   #1645

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Quote:
That could be a very bad injury.
5 years ago I tore 5 of the 7 ankle ligaments in an industrial accident. WCB had me going to physio twice a week, and cryo therapy once a week. Even doing everything right, from drinking lots of water and eating right, it still took 3 months before I could get back on the ice. Then another month for me to be able to really push it.

This could put him out until Xmas.

But you're not a professional athlete. Look how quickly people like Stamkos and Kane recovered from their injuries!
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-12-2016, 01:40 PM   #1646
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
But you're not a professional athlete. Look how quickly people like Stamkos and Kane recovered from their injuries!
Not to mention, professional athletes have access to the best doctors and treatment money can buy.
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:40 PM   #1647
フルコンボ

Thanked 3,931 Times in 583 Posts
Cant wait for tonight's game
RCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:58 PM   #1648
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
My physiotherapist is flying to Pittsburgh this week to help put Crosby together again. He is one of the top docs in North America when it comes to sports concussions, and the reason why Crosby was able to get back out there the last time he banged his head. I may not be a pro, but I do go to the same doctors that they do.

He has this, along with a bunch of other pro jerseys in his waiting area.

When I was in there back in June, Milan Lucic was in the waiting room next to me. He has a massive head.

I'm no spring chicken, but I'm not some lump of lard either. That said, Stammer is a beast. That guy is inhuman to say the least.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-12-2016, 03:38 PM   #1649

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Quote:
I may not be a pro, but I do go to the same doctors that they do.

If only you had minions to take care of stuff around the house too, your recovery times would be even shorter.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-12-2016, 04:02 PM   #1650

Matthews with 2 goals in his first NHL period.