REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-01-2017, 05:47 PM   #1
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
ICBC CRS Q - different discounts for different cars??

hey guys. got a (possibly dumb?) question, hoping somebody here can shed some light. bit of a rundown first,

back about 8 years ago, I was in my first and only at fault accident. wrote the car off, was only at a -1 on the CRS scale at the time, so moved up 6 steps to a 55% (yikes, i know) surcharge. during that time while I was at a surcharge, I purchased and insured my genesis coupe. no at fault claims since, full stop. over time this surcharge obviously went down, and eventually went back to a discount. if you calculate it out, having passed 8 years, this would put me at -3 this year. makes sense so far. however, i also remember having a conversation with an ICBC rep shortly after my accident, where I recall her saying that despite being 6 steps up the surcharge ladder, after 3 years i'd be back at neutral - 0 discount and 0 surcharge in other words. so that would put me at -5 instead of -3, as 8 years total have elapsed, 3 of which count toward the surcharge, and 5 of which go towards the discount

i've recently purchased and insured a second car, an old beater that I was originally planning to drive only for the winter, but have since decided to hang onto long term. I renewed the insurance on it today, it's at a -35% discount (-7 in other words). I was inquiring on the genesis at the same time, as I will be putting insurance back on it in a month or two, and was told that the genesis insurance would be at -3 only.

here's where I'm confused - how is it that my 2 cars, both under my name as both the registered owner and principle operator, can have differing discounts? i'm asking for obvious reasons, as the genesis is obviously much more expensive to insure than my 93 civic, so with my CRS discount on the civic being at -7 / -35%, should the genesis not be the same?

my broker seemed to be under the impression that this was due to the genesis having an at fault claim on it (which it doesn't, however I did insure the genesis while my insurance premiums were at surcharge), but that doesn't make any sense to me. does this make sense to anyone else, and could anybody shed some light as to why my discounts are different on my two vehicles? is this an error on ICBC's end that I need to have rectified, or is there something i'm simply missing?

any help or guidance is much appreciated! thanks in advance revscene fam

**CRS scale for reference - http://www.icbc.com/autoplan/costs/Documents/crs.pdf **
Advertisement
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:07 PM   #2
【=◈︿◈=】

i just did a claim history, and alongside my at fault accident back in 2010, i also found this from 4 years ago..

would this have anything to do with it? this is making less sense the more I look. the only claims I have on the genesis are from dec 2012 (rear ended not at fault) and october 2014 (comp claim, therefore also not at fault)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (12.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-01-2017, 06:11 PM   #3
I am Hook'd on RS

so to make this simple..... the surcharge for the accident only applies to one policy.

your second policy will follow a discount on how many years you have driven.

i was in a similar situation, theres a slight loop hole if your smart about it.

say you get in a car accident and go up to 55% surcharge..

you have a $500 car handy insure that so the 55% surcharge will be placed on that policy.

then you go get your fancy car and insure that, at the discount of years driven.

cancel $500 policy.

upon renewal of fancy car policy the surchaged will be put on that policy. Cancel it.

insure $500 car to move the surcharge to the policy, then insure fancy car, then cancel insurance on $500 car.
cooke24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:21 PM   #4
I am Hook'd on RS

now if you call icbc and find out how much money you owe for the at fault claim 8 years ago you can pay that off to elimnate any surcharge to bring your account back to normal.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:26 PM   #5
I'm invisible

From what I heard.. like the previous person said, claims only attached to one vehicle/policy at a time.

The CRS discount is technically laid out like a timeline.

In your scenario, I'll make assumptions:
1. Assume you have your DL for at least 8 years
2. Both your cars would be insured at the same time.

1. By looking at the second vehicle, if there were no at fault claims, and if you have vehicle #1 still insured, then the second/third/fourth vehicles would be entitled to your full DL history.
2. If you only have the one vehicle/policy, then you will always be a few years behind until you reach CRS level -20(43%). It is possible to have different vehicles/policies with different CRS levels.
3. If you cancel the plate which has the claim affecting, the claim will move to either 1. a new plate you take out or 2. if its a more recent claim, it can move and affect on the renewal policy.

There are ways to avoid/trick the system, however ICBC can simply track what your doing and possibly do something about it.

Last edited by Edison_Chen; 03-01-2017 at 08:56 PM.
Edison_Chen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:27 PM   #6
【=◈︿◈=】

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooke24 View Post
so to make this simple..... the surcharge for the accident only applies to one policy.

you have a $500 car handy insure that so the 55% surcharge will be placed on that policy.

then you go get your fancy car and insure that, at the discount of years driven.

cancel $500 policy.

upon renewal of fancy car policy the surchaged will be put on that policy. Cancel it.

insure $500 car to move the surcharge to the policy, then insure fancy car, then cancel insurance on $500 car.
that in itself is hugely helpful, i was unaware that a surcharge only falls onto one policy. i've never quite grasped that loophole, i've heard of it before, but never really grasped the concept. can you break that down for me into what i should be doing with my civic and genesis?

currently my genesis is insured for a storage policy only (so it's not plated), and my civic has basic + TP liability on it, at a -7 discount (shouldn't this already move the surcharge to the civic, as the genesis is now "uninsured", or is it because there's a storage policy on it?). when i go to insure the genesis again, it will be at -3 discount only (from what my broker said). so then what i should be doing is.. cancelling the insurance on the civic (so i have no insurance whatsoever on any car), and reinsuring the civic first (to place the surcharge onto the civic) and when i go to insure the genesis say the following day, the full DL history will apply on the genesis?
Old 03-01-2017, 06:34 PM   #7
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:

cancel $500 policy.

Would you need to get full comprehensive and collision, or is basic enough?
BrokenEuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:35 PM   #8
【=◈︿◈=】

let me throw a wrench into this a bit more then, as it seems there's more than a handful of people here who know what they're talking about. the storage policy on the genesis is effective until march 5th. I reinsured my civic today for an additional 6 months, and did nothing with the policy on the genesis - so effective march 5th it is fully uninsured. does this mean the surcharge will automatically move to the civic on march 5th, and as long as I insure the genesis after march 5th, I will receive full DL history discount on the genesis instead of the civic?

second question alongside that would be - would the amount I paid for the 6 months on the civic then not be enough, as the discount would lessen? do I actually have to uninsure and reinsure the civic for this to take full effect?

I appreciate the help hugely guys, thanks again
Old 03-01-2017, 06:40 PM   #9
I'm invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by - kT View Post
let me throw a wrench into this a bit more then, as it seems there's more than a handful of people here who know what they're talking about. the storage policy on the genesis is effective until march 5th. I reinsured my civic today for an additional 6 months, and did nothing with the policy on the genesis - so effective march 5th it is fully uninsured. does this mean the surcharge will automatically move to the civic on march 5th, and as long as I insure the genesis after march 5th, I will receive full DL history discount on the genesis instead of the civic?

second question alongside that would be - would the amount I paid for the 6 months on the civic then not be enough, as the discount would lessen? do I actually have to uninsure and reinsure the civic for this to take full effect?

I appreciate the help hugely guys, thanks again

If you renewed your Civic today and the CRS on it is -7(35%), even if you wait until your storage expires, if you new plate the Genesis, the Genesis will pick up the at-fault claim. The reason is that the claim is 'dangling' and is waiting to get picked up on a new plate.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:45 PM   #10
【=◈︿◈=】

//

Last edited by - kT; 03-01-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:03 PM   #11
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
now if you call icbc and find out how much money you owe for the at fault claim 8 years ago you can pay that off to elimnate any surcharge to bring your account back to normal.
hmmm I never knew that, I was under the impression that you needed to either choose one or the other during the time of the claim.
JShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2017, 07:37 PM   #12
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
your question has me thinking.. lol i was at an at fault in 2011 which brought me to a +55% surcharge as well, eventuall the years passed now and im currently sitting at -25%, but i was told that they made a mistake when i got new plates for my new car, and next year theyre going to actually bring me back to either 15 or 20% lol

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:55 PM   #13
【=◈︿◈=】

my at fault accident was in 2010, and i'm only back at -15% now, so if your at fault accident was a year after, you should only be at -10% this year. not a surcharge, but not -25% either. probably some overlap with having multiple cars insured?? in any case, you shouldn't be at +15%
Old 03-01-2017, 08:15 PM   #14
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
Quote:
my at fault accident was in 2010, and i'm only back at -15% now, so if your at fault accident was a year after, you should only be at -10% this year. not a surcharge, but not -25% either. probably some overlap with having multiple cars insured?? in any case, you shouldn't be at +15%
thing is i never had more than 1 car, they prob messed up in the plate changes (switch a lot and had custom as well) and i meant i would be at minus 15-20% oh well i got to have cheaper insurance for one year right ?? lol

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:37 PM   #15
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Ok wait hold on guys. I'm so confused. I was in the same spot as you, went from -5% to +55% or something like that since I had an at fault accident.

BUT, after 3 years you go back to what you were. So sure for 3 years I was paying out the ass but then it went back down. Not only that, but I believe you still accumulate the % discount every year when you're on surcharge.

Why after 8 years are you still paying for that accident
Old 03-01-2017, 10:20 PM   #16
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

did not read other than first... so if it hasn't already been talked about, from my understanding the 3 years back to 0 discount only applies if you are off the road for those 3 years... so no cars insured under your name. Otherwise you just go back down 5 percent a year from highest surcharge
Port Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:40 PM   #17
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Just taking a look in your situation. It sounds like you should be eligible for either -20% or 25% for your Genesis. I have a feeling its something to do with ICBC's internal CRS system being unable to pick up extra discount that you're suppose to have.

When you insured for your Civic for the -7/-35%, (which should not have affected by previous claims as you have been paying of the claims via the Genesis' insurance) did your broker call in ICBC to check for your double check your record for the the proper discount?
'98 EJ8 Civic Si 'DatSi' - (Sold)
'11 MKVI Golf 'Dana' - (Sold)

Active:

'18 F22 230iX' (DD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
Don’t you guys dare bid on my gay car. I’ll stab you
vyrospec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Man View Post
did not read other than first... so if it hasn't already been talked about, from my understanding the 3 years back to 0 discount only applies if you are off the road for those 3 years... so no cars insured under your name. Otherwise you just go back down 5 percent a year from highest surcharge
I always has 1 or 2 cars insured for the three years, and it went back to what it was prior to accidents.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:36 AM   #19
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JShifter View Post
hmmm I never knew that, I was under the impression that you needed to either choose one or the other during the time of the claim.
I think you (usually) have to do it within 1 year of the claim date / accident.
Kayci is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-02-2017, 05:42 AM   #20
【=◈︿◈=】

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyrospec View Post
Just taking a look in your situation. It sounds like you should be eligible for either -20% or 25% for your Genesis. I have a feeling its something to do with ICBC's internal CRS system being unable to pick up extra discount that you're suppose to have.

When you insured for your Civic for the -7/-35%, (which should not have affected by previous claims as you have been paying of the claims via the Genesis' insurance) did your broker call in ICBC to check for your double check your record for the the proper discount?
that's what I thought as well. regardless of surcharge amount I was told that after 3 years it'd reset back to 0. meaning I should be at least -4 on the Genesis now. is it worth calling customer service myself and inquiring? will I get anywhere, or is it better done through a broker?
Old 03-02-2017, 07:28 AM   #21

Brokers are useless. Call icbc yourself and discuss with them (tgen go to a broker to adjust the insurance)
Old 03-02-2017, 07:40 AM   #22
I am Hook'd on RS

You can only be in surcharge for 3 years. It then resets to 0.

It's tricky and possible

Remove all policy's , then start with the civic then the Genesis
Old 03-02-2017, 07:55 AM   #23
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,307 Posts
Waiting for CRS to chime in.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:29 AM   #24
I am Hook'd on RS

And sometimes this doesn't work at all and they send you a correction in the mail instructing you to go back to auto plan to
Fix it.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:34 AM   #25
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
that's what I thought as well. regardless of surcharge amount I was told that after 3 years it'd reset back to 0. meaning I should be at least -4 on the Genesis now. is it worth calling customer service myself and inquiring? will I get anywhere, or is it better done through a broker?

Ahh I know about this too.

Everybody has a special date where the new year for discount applies. (Typically your birthday) if you insure a car before this special date you won't get the extra 5 percent, unless you go back after the date and do a 1 time only policy date change.

Icbc needs all the money they can get especially right now. The broker must know what he's doing, but with my recent experience a lot of the best brokers have moved on and now the new ones have no idea what your talking about. Most just sea with renewals or new plates.

Try importing cars from Japan or seized us customs cars they stare at you like your doing something shady
This post thanked by: