REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:31 AM   #51
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
Having just got back from the US, I was shocked as to how expensive food is there too. My average lunch cost for a family of 5 was at least $50, and the two nights we ate "fancy dinners" were over $150. This is in USD too, so add $1.35 to those numbers. It hurts when you think about it.
I seem to remember that for certain food (poultry, eggs, milk, etc.?), Canadian safety standards are higher. Something to do with usage of hormones, arsenic, source and/or processing of the meat. In particular, USDA has allowed China-processed chicken to be sold to US for consumption. Let's just say I am not particularly fond of China's food processing, eh?

Quote:
I don't want to ride a scooter like some uneducated villager in Pakistan. I want the white picket fence, I want land, and I want to drive a big truck. I didn't choose to open the immigrant floodgates. I didn't choose to export our oil and grain to the US and Asia. Someone else did, and they're reaping the benefits. Is it fair that the billionaires are getting richer, while many of us are getting poorer and being forced to change our lifestyles? Not at all.

Yet so many folks such as yourself are willing to accept that. And that my friend, is sad. The erosion of North America is our generations greatest loss.
While I may have a slightly different take than you do on some of the issues you mentioned, I get where you are coming from, and I mostly agree with you on how the wealth gap is widening and forcing us to alter our lifestyle for the worse. In particular, I totally agree on the point where the N.American dream and lifestyle are getting replaced with the Asia-like packed sardines living, and people are just rolling over without a fight to accept it. To me, that does not make sense at all. Had I wanted to stay living in a tiny suite in a highrise instead of living in a single detached house, had I wanted to ride a bus or take a train instead of driving to work, I would have move to some major city in Asia.

Maybe I am talking through a pair of rose tinted glasses, but I honestly think life in the 70's up to around the turn of the millennium was a far better time to life in Vancouver, regardless of the economic ups and downs. There was an awesome race track right there in Coquitlam. Single income families can still afford a mortgage on a single detached home with a 2 car garage, a car payment, and still have $$$ leftover to raise a family. The sky was bigger, closer, and wider with far fewer highrises (just look at Burnaby Metrotown and Brentwood area now?). You can still choose to live in close quarters if you want, but the key difference is choice. Now we barely even have that choice to live in tiny tight spaces while keeping ourselves fed.

Gosh... I'm turning into a grumpy old man like MG1...
Advertisement
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2017, 11:47 AM   #52
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Honestly Timpo, fuck the rest of the world.
I don't care if some asshole is eating bugs in Nigeria, or some Thai national can't afford shoes. All I care about is maintaining my North American lifestyle.

I don't want to ride a scooter like some uneducated villager in Pakistan. I want the white picket fence, I want land, and I want to drive a big truck. I didn't choose to open the immigrant floodgates. I didn't choose to export our oil and grain to the US and Asia. Someone else did, and they're reaping the benefits. Is it fair that the billionaires are getting richer, while many of us are getting poorer and being forced to change our lifestyles? Not at all.

Yet so many folks such as yourself are willing to accept that. And that my friend, is sad. The erosion of North America is our generations greatest loss.
yeah but the reality is, American dream is over. We're not in 1960s or 1970s.

As Kevin O'Leary said, China is taking over. Not just China, but if you look at Japan, Korea, Vietnam, etc...Asians work hard, they don't just do 9-5 shifts. It's typical to see them sleeping over at work.

If you drive around in Tokyo for example, you will immediately notice that how many nice cars like Ferrari and Mercedes driving around, all the buildings are much cleaner and nicer, public transits are far more sophisticated, etc.

Yet in Canada we expect someone to hire us as long as we graduate college/university.
Getting a 4,000 sq-ft house + 2 car garage, maybe with a pool...those days are long gone.

Everybody says this "University degree is new high school diploma"
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:07 PM   #53
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

LOL at anyone driving a car that needs 91-94 and bitching.

I am sitting at 25-30L / 100km

Ain't complaining
RickyTan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:21 PM   #54
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Who's asking for a 4000sq ft house with a pool? I'd be perfectly happy with what my dad was able to afford with one salary back in the 80s/90s. Being middle class used to offer such luxuries as a car to drive to work and a modest place to live. Now people say you're​ entitled and should think about a scooter and rent for life.

I'm glad I was born in the 80s and not now, at least I still have a chance at owning property. I can tell my grandkids how once upon a time even the common folk had a pot to piss in.

Also, by the time I'm 80 global warming will be in full swing and I'll be sitting on my porch in 45C weather wearing a sweater being comfortable as fuck.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:29 PM   #55
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,066 Times in 1,252 Posts
Mg1 stole all our money

Also another reason to get an E car... Nothing like hanging out at Ikea for free fill ups

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:44 PM   #56
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
my u-pass.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:53 PM   #57
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyTan3 View Post

Ain't complaining
wtf are u driving holy
[08-12, 00:25] Iceman-19 the owner was someone i knew. trusted him. that blew up in my face like i was a 19 year old jap girl at a bukkake party.
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-06-2017, 08:54 AM   #58
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Wife just texted me as she works in Abbotsford.
$1.199/L there, $1.419 in Langley and probably more the closer to Vancouver you get.

It's fuking highway robbery.....
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:58 AM   #59
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,191 Times in 481 Posts
price in vancouver is 1.419
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:27 AM   #60
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
After selling the Chevron in downtown Van for $72 million, you would think they could give us a bit of a break on gas prices...
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:41 AM   #61

Thanked 4,568 Times in 1,715 Posts
Can someone answer that scooter question. You can ride them in bike lanes?
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:05 AM   #62
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
Can someone answer that scooter question. You can ride them in bike lanes?
By "bike lanes", if you mean the ones used by human-powered bicycles that our stupid mayor is infatuated with, then I'd say I don't think you can ride a 50cc scooter in there.

In HOV lanes where motorcycles are allowed, I still don't think 50cc scooters would be allowed there unless traffic is <70 km/h. By law, LSMC cannot exceed 70 km/h on level ground. So if you are going faster than that, you are breaking the law.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:17 AM   #63
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Gas prices across Metro Vancouver to drop by 7 cents: expert - BC | Globalnews.ca

Quote:
Gasbuddy.com analyst Dan McTeague says prices are set to fall from a high of $1.42.9/litre — the highest prices have been in Vancouver in almost three years –beginning Thursday night.

Prices should fall two cents beginning Thursday at midnight and a further five cents by Saturday.

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2017, 11:18 AM   #64
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:54 PM   #65
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

So prices go up by 10cents because of US refinery issues; but drops 7cents when things are back to normal.

Totally makes sense....
tonyzoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2017, 06:09 PM   #66

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Gonna go up again as we head into summer with summer blend.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:12 PM   #67
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
i thought gas was going up because of the air strikes on Saudi-backed Syria (even if our crude isn't coming from ME)
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:45 PM   #68
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

you mean Russia.. and Syria doesn't pump out enough oil to affect the markets.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:16 PM   #69
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
Any option to fuck over Consumers they will take it to us as a CUCK cause we'll never complain enough to cause action...the Canadian Way...START A RIOT in this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyTan3 View Post

Ain't complaining
Hummer H2 with 6.0L?
Old 04-08-2017, 12:10 PM   #70
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post
Any option to fuck over Consumers they will take it to us as a CUCK cause we'll never complain enough to cause action...the Canadian Way...START A RIOT in this!

Hummer H2 with 6.0L?
x6m all city driving
RickyTan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-08-2017, 01:14 PM   #71
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
I was at shell and I got a promo prompt at the gas pump to save 0.04/liter... not sure if its a shell thing or a Airmiles thing... first time for me...
Old 04-08-2017, 04:32 PM   #72
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
I was at shell and I got a promo prompt at the gas pump to save 0.04/liter... not sure if its a shell thing or a Airmiles thing... first time for me...
They're currently running the same promotion at the Ladysmith Shell station (-$0.03/L) on my commute.

I Googled it and it seems like they do these promotions (-$0.03/L to -$0.05/L) at random Shell stations on occassion throughout the country.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:15 PM   #73
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Well prices have normalised by 3 - 4 cents this week already.

For city driving a BEV is good enough.. it is actually kinda fun in the rain and those low resistance tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyzoomzoom View Post
So prices go up by 10cents because of US refinery issues; but drops 7cents when things are back to normal.

Totally makes sense....
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:18 PM   #74
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Ikeas and most municipal facilities (community centres, libraries etc).. Most malls I see are starting to charge $1 / hour, $4 max.. which is not bad. Tesla does offer $1000 of free charge every year. Say $5 for 200km (maybe I am just lead footed).. that's 40k km worth of mileage a year.. all in first gear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
Mg1 stole all our money

Also another reason to get an E car... Nothing like hanging out at Ikea for free fill ups
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote