REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:19 AM   #1
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
WTF happen to the gas price?

Seems like it jump over the weekends to 1.41/L. Likely to stay this way for the next few weeks (or will it ever come down.).

What happen?
Advertisement
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:27 AM   #2
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Refinery maintenance and whatever else they wanna call it to raise prices. Who cares we're all rich anyways what's an extra 10 bucks at the pump when we're buying million dollar shoeboxes.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:59 AM   #3
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
Refinery maintenance and whatever else they wanna call it to raise prices. Who cares we're all rich anyways what's an extra 10 bucks at the pump when we're buying million dollar shoeboxes.
lol, ain't that the truth.
ICBC is raising prices along with Hydro and Terasen gas. Cost of food is going up, cost of gas has going up, and everyone is way over a responsible debt level.

When will the shit hit the fan?

originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2017, 12:05 PM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
ICBC is raising prices along with Hydro and Terasen gas. Cost of food is going up, cost of gas has going up, and everyone is way over a responsible debt level.

i've been travelling recently and i'm always a little surprised at how expensive food is in canada. and i'm not talking about places with lower costs of living, but food in europe seems way cheaper and better quality as well.

combined that with high telecom costs, i figure it's getting shittier and shittier to be a middle class canadian as time goes on

Last edited by Sid Vicious; 04-03-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2017, 12:07 PM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:

I seriously don't understand how an average young couple with children makes do anymore in this city.

91 gas is killing me right now... $1.60 a liter
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2017, 12:15 PM   #6
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Quote:

When the Canucks lose the next game 7 in the Stanley Cup Final?

Pretty much the only time anyone gives a fuck.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:18 PM   #7

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
#bikelanes
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:24 PM   #8
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
I've lived outside of Vancouver, and I actually like it better out there. Less crowded, less stress, lower cost of living (for the most part) and more recreational opportunities that aren't overrun by hordes of people on the weekend.

Girlfriend is stuck in the "must stay in Vancouver to be close to parents" mindset and it's really starting to bug me. Vancouver isn't affordable if you're not making a six-figure income, and even with a six-figure income, it's incredibly soul-sucking.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2017, 12:28 PM   #9
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
I seriously don't understand how an average young couple with children makes do anymore in this city.

Mom and Dad. And if it's not mom and dad, it's not giving a fuck about debt knowing the inheritance of mom and dad will bail them out eventually.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2017, 12:42 PM   #10

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
I've lived outside of Vancouver, and I actually like it better out there. Less crowded, less stress, lower cost of living (for the most part) and more recreational opportunities that aren't overrun by hordes of people on the weekend.

Girlfriend is stuck in the "must stay in Vancouver to be close to parents" mindset and it's really starting to bug me. Vancouver isn't affordable if you're not making a six-figure income, and even with a six-figure income, it's incredibly soul-sucking.
For me, it breaks down to the work commute. If I can't get to work under an hour by car or public transit, it's too fucking far. Too bad, decent jobs are hard to come by outside of Vancouver. I'd take a pay cut if both my wife and I can work close to home.

Being close to parents/in-laws is a huge plus if you plan on having kids and having them be their caretaker. Childcare costs will cost you way more than gas.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2017, 12:53 PM   #11
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Prices have been low for a few years. What have people been doing with the gas savings all these years? Should've been saved for when prices go back up... or even better, used to buy shares in energy companies. The quarterly payouts should at least subsidize your fuel costs.

But most people didn't.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:54 PM   #12

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
For me, it breaks down to the work commute. If I can't get to work under an hour by car or public transit, it's too fucking far. Too bad, decent jobs are hard to come by outside of Vancouver. I'd take a pay cut if both my wife and I can work close to home.

Being close to parents/in-laws is a huge plus if you plan on having kids and having them be their caretaker. Childcare costs will cost you way more than gas.
Oh, I had a great job up north near Prince George. Loved the community there, liked working in the area. 5 minute walk to work. 1200sqft house for $900/month.

Girlfriend didn't want to leave Vancouver. Parents wanted me to move back down. So here I am paying $800/month for a tiny room in Pemberton working a job that's more stressful. Yeah there was a pay increase (20% roughly) but that's eaten up by the higher cost of living.

I get it that childcare costs a lot, but that's mostly true of Vancouver. In the community that I was living in before, daycare was $400/month for kids, and I had a steady 9-5 job that rarely had overtime. Lots of people did flex hours as well so that they could care for the kids.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:00 PM   #13
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
Prices have been low for a few years. What have people been doing with the gas savings all these years? Should've been saved for when prices go back up... or even better, used to buy shares in energy companies. The quarterly payouts should at least subsidize your fuel costs.

But most people didn't.
Are you telling me that you had the wherewithal to save every extra dime from when gas was $1.10 just in case it went up?

I think I speak for everyone here when I say "were you always this full of shit?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
i've been travelling recently and i'm always a little surprised at how expensive food is in canada. and i'm not talking about places with lower costs of living, but food in europe seems way cheaper and better quality as well.

combined that with high telecom costs, i figure it's getting shittier and shittier to be a middle class canadian as time goes on
agreed.
Having just got back from the US, I was shocked as to how expensive food is there too. My average lunch cost for a family of 5 was at least $50, and the two nights we ate "fancy dinners" were over $150. This is in USD too, so add $1.35 to those numbers. It hurts when you think about it.

Quote:

We have friends who basically think that as long as they keep working, it will all be okay. Their head's are deep in the sand hoping that the 649 numbers come in and they can retire early. Life sucks, so let's go lease a G37! It's crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
When the Canucks lose the next game 7 in the Stanley Cup Final?

Pretty much the only time anyone gives a fuck.

It's so sad just how true this statement is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
Girlfriend is stuck in the "must stay in Vancouver to be close to parents" mindset and it's really starting to bug me.
Maybe it's time to find a new girlfriend with a sense of adventure?
The best times we had were when I was transferred to Montreal and my girlfriend (now wife) came with me. It sucked having to learn a new language while attempting to build a career, but it was so worth it in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
I'd take a pay cut if both my wife and I can work close to home.
That's what I did.
I left my 6 figure job an hour away for a 5 figure one with a 10 minute commute.

Now I have less money and more time. It's a good trade-off as long as your hobbies aren't expensive. Unfortunately mine are.....
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2017, 01:13 PM   #14
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,461 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:

Look who's having kids these days:
- couples who have at least one high income earning parent (most likely the father)
- parents who work in the public sector with generous maternity top up provisions and flexible work schedules
- ethnic families where the burden of childcare is shared among family members (big savings here)

Unless you're Asian, most families are not driving cars that require 91 octane.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2017, 01:21 PM   #15
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
for me, i feel like every time when summer gets near, the gas prices would go up
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:25 PM   #16
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
eating out isn't cheap in most cities

but we have so many options here...the level of competition means you can still find fresh and delicious stuff at affordable levels.

and I get that gas has skyrocketed compared to what it was 15 years ago...but it's still one kinda in your ability to control (run multiple errands in one go, carpool, transit, get on a bike), whereas insurance to me does a bigger dent and you're stuck with an all-or-none option if you own a car.

glad I have a nexus card and family just stone throw away south of the border...we need Costco gas in Vancouver, prooonto.

Last edited by twitchyzero; 04-03-2017 at 01:35 PM.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:39 PM   #17
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
Mom and Dad. And if it's not mom and dad, it's not giving a fuck about debt knowing the inheritance of mom and dad will bail them out eventually.
Not my reality and I'm a parent. Live within your means, pack a lunch for work and don't eat out that often for dinners. If you want something new and shiny save your money instead of taking the easy route and financing it.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:40 PM   #18
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
whereas insurance to me does a bigger dent and you're stuck with an all-or-none option if you own a car.
Car insurance is a joke.
I get it, cars are dangerous, people are idiots, and when all you have seperating you and the other guy is a painted line, shit is going to happen.

But why is it that I have to pay 10% of the value of my vehicle per year?
My Tundra is worth about $25k right now. Yet I'm paying over $2600/year for insurance on it. Every year!
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2017, 01:44 PM   #19
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,461 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Car insurance is a joke.
I get it, cars are dangerous, people are idiots, and when all you have seperating you and the other guy is a painted line, shit is going to happen.

But why is it that I have to pay 10% of the value of my vehicle per year?
My Tundra is worth about $25k right now. Yet I'm paying over $2600/year for insurance on it. Every year!
You know what's​ costing us all?

Litigation courtesy of the personal injury law industry. With that said, I now carry $3 million liability on my daily driver.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2017, 01:59 PM   #20

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
Quote:
eating out isn't cheap in most cities

but we have so many options here...the level of competition means you can still find fresh and delicious stuff at affordable levels.

and I get that gas has skyrocketed compared to what it was 15 years ago...but it's still one kinda in your ability to control (run multiple errands in one go, carpool, transit, get on a bike), whereas insurance to me does a bigger dent and you're stuck with an all-or-none option if you own a car.

glad I have a nexus card and family just stone throw away south of the border...we need Costco gas in Vancouver, prooonto.
Get a scooter, I just paid $300 for insurance and $5 for gas on the 50cc.. My 125 is only $600 for the year and $6/ tank.. Cheaper than bus fare..

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2017, 02:02 PM   #21
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
do you not insure your car during the months you're riding?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:22 PM   #22
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon-88 View Post
Get a scooter, I just paid $300 for insurance and $5 for gas on the 50cc.. My 125 is only $600 for the year and $6/ tank.. Cheaper than bus fare..
Agree 100% from a financial perspective but have to consider other things like weather and shitty drivers as well when it comes to 2 wheels lol
jjson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:29 PM   #23

Quote:
do you not insure your car during the months you're riding?
Yeah I do, but i'm not here to compare cars to bikes.. I'm more or less just laying out how cheap it could be to commute around on a scoot vs. the other options(Bus,cars).

Current:

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2001 Honda S2000
Old 04-03-2017, 02:32 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjson View Post
Agree 100% from a financial perspective but have to consider other things like weather and shitty drivers as well when it comes to 2 wheels lol
Weather, I just wear proper gear. I dont ride winter, but those who do have heated grips, jacket and pants. So there's no issues with the conditions. Want to avoid shitty drivers. Ride in the bike lanes, they're typically faster than main roads and have direct routes. I can get from Hastings and Willingdon to DT in 10-15mins on my scoot, in rush hour.

Current:

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2001 Honda S2000
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2017, 02:36 PM   #25