REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:37 PM   #26
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Gas in Aldergrove/Abbotsford has always been 9-11 cents cheaper than Langley and the LM. Everything: gas, insurance, etc. go way up once you cross west of 264th. Except for the past few months, they have been gouging and only keeping the price 4 cents cheaper.
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2017, 02:46 PM   #27
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Thank god it's summer. I can ride to work again and not have to take transit or worry too much about gas.

Vancouver has become more and more automobile unfriendly which is ironic since the number of super cars on the streets grow every day.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 03:43 PM   #28
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Not my reality and I'm a parent. Live within your means, pack a lunch for work and don't eat out that often for dinners. If you want something new and shiny save your money instead of taking the easy route and financing it.
Not my reality either. I have always followed this logic when it comes to financial management. It's so logical to do this but people struggle with self control and things like leasing, financing, and credit cards are far too common and rather easily obtained. Hell, I know of people who took out 25k loans to modify cars (for the instant efame lol) and another with 50k in credit card debt (super )

Then you also have people who have zero class/loyalty/morals and take advantage of their own families or suck their significant others' savings dry just to achieve their selfish goals. Respect and self-respect are foreign concepts to many and the current young generation seems to be the absolute worst at it.

There will always be impatient people who are willing to put themselves deep in the red and companies who are more than willing to take advantage of their lack of patience and stupidity.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2017, 08:22 AM   #29
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

i make good money (not lawyer/doctor, but I'm not hurting), my wife makes decent money and has a government job (great benefits and vacation), my mortgage is less than most of your rent for a house in coquitlam and i still want out of this fucking city

we get fucked on everything and I've had enough. unfortunately i have the same issue where my wife wants to stay close to her family and loves her job (lucky her)

i'll sell hot dogs in thailand or the carribean just to get away.

sure i love our clear water and air, skiing in whistler, golfing and just the amazing beauty of our city but there is SO MUCH MORE out there to experience
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:29 AM   #30
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
i make good money (not lawyer/doctor, but I'm not hurting), my wife makes decent money and has a government job (great benefits and vacation), my mortgage is less than most of your rent for a house in coquitlam and i still want out of this fucking city

we get fucked on everything and I've had enough. unfortunately i have the same issue where my wife wants to stay close to her family and loves her job (lucky her)

i'll sell hot dogs in thailand or the carribean just to get away.

sure i love our clear water and air, skiing in whistler, golfing and just the amazing beauty of our city but there is SO MUCH MORE out there to experience
Reminds me of my co-worker who was an Estimator and Project Manager like myself. 5 years ago next week he and his girlfriend sold everything they owned and moved to the Caribbean to work on a private resort. He's a Bartender/guest entertainer takes them finishing or water skiing or whatever the fuck they want to do all day long hanging out in the sun.

His girlfriend manages the restaurant, they get accommodations provided so even though they don't make that much they don't need that much to survive. On their days off they travel the Caribbean and have seen quite a bit out down there.

They didn't have any kids, I honestly thought he'd be back in a year but 5 years later he's still there living it up.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2017, 08:58 AM   #31
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
94 octane

Been driving my parents car since they are out of town. Thinking of bringing my civic out of retirement and using it as my commuter car.

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:20 AM   #32
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
everything is expensive in BC

car insurance, cell phone service, internet service, hydro, gasoline, housing, food, everything.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2017, 09:23 AM   #33

As for gas prices,
You gotta pay to play. It's a hobby.

If you're looking at cars as transportation(or essential living tool), I'm sure you'd be driving Prius.

Why aren't we driving Prius? Because it's boring to drive and it doesn't qualify as a hobby.

People complain about gas prices, and what do they drive? V8 muscle car? European sportscar? Japanese tuner cars?
Like, stop complaining about gas prices as if was giving you a financial hardship.
You made the choice to buy cars and drive them as a hobby. If you truly needed a car for transportation because of your work/family and whatnot, there are options like Prius or econobox like Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris, etc. No, I'm not talking about performance oriented 4cyl cars like Civic Si/Type-R or Focus ST/SVT

*edit* I do agree about food prices and everything else. When gas price goes up, EVERYTHING ELSE goes up.

Last edited by Timpo; 04-04-2017 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:24 AM   #34
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
^
The Prius is just so ghey. It's like the automotive equivalent of a nerd.
I'd rather ride a bicycle.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stRider View Post
94 octane

Been driving my parents car since they are out of town. Thinking of bringing my civic out of retirement and using it as my commuter car.

Your car is so cool. But it sure is thirsty when you put your foot into it.
I remember seeing you on highway one last summer when my son and I were on route to Whistler. The car looked great! Problem was, the boy was still choked that I sold it, and didn't talk to me again until I enticed him with a stop at the Squamish McD's.

Probably a good idea to break out the civic as a commuter and save the STi for the sunny days.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:33 AM   #35
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Thank god I moved to Mission last year

and the more money the major oils make the more they buy from me which makes me even happier
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:12 AM   #36

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
I find eating out in Vancouver is less expensive than eating out in the states/Australia/most of Europe.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2017, 05:09 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
^
The Prius is just so ghey. It's like the automotive equivalent of a nerd.
I'd rather ride a bicycle.....
I totally agree.

But we have this first world problem where people think they're entitled for a nice car and still complain about gas prices.
If you look around the world, most people do not own a car. Even in Canada, it's not hard to find people without cars.

Yes we need to make our living so we need some kind of transportation, but there are cars that are made for that. (they tend to be boring to drive).

There are options like public transit, if not, scooters as well.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:24 PM   #38
HELP ME PLS!!!

I don't think scooters or public transit was feasible during this year's winter.

The other months it would be great.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:46 PM   #39
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
Prices have been low for a few years. What have people been doing with the gas savings all these years? Should've been saved for when prices go back up... or even better, used to buy shares in energy companies. The quarterly payouts should at least subsidize your fuel costs.

But most people didn't.

Quote:
Are you telling me that you had the wherewithal to save every extra dime from when gas was $1.10 just in case it went up?

I think I speak for everyone here when I say "were you always this full of shit?"
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2017, 08:56 PM   #40
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Quote:
Your car is so cool. But it sure is thirsty when you put your foot into it.
I remember seeing you on highway one last summer when my son and I were on route to Whistler. The car looked great! Problem was, the boy was still choked that I sold it, and didn't talk to me again until I enticed him with a stop at the Squamish McD's.

Probably a good idea to break out the civic as a commuter and save the STi for the sunny days.
Let your son know that the STi is in good hands and I'm keeping it forever

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:02 PM   #41
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Went from 120.9 here to 123.9 to 125.9 and now back down to 121.9 within the last week or so.

Nothing really to freak out about ... Shell's 20X Air Miles on V-Power expired though, so that sucks.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:34 PM   #42
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Cars are a waste of money (no offense revscene car forums). My 2003 accord is paid off and will last me forever. ICBC rate dont affect me much cause I only have one way insurance and only need to worry about gas. Of course im tempted to to lease a new german car but Im more concerned about paying down my mortgage fast.

Stay ahead of the game by getting your priorities and finances in order.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2017, 09:38 PM   #43
My homepage has been set to RS

live with it
deal with it
danned is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-05-2017, 03:44 AM   #44

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
EV your car!

asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:40 AM   #45

Thanked 4,736 Times in 813 Posts
nobody likes paying more, but an increase in fuel is fuck all to your monthly budget. my Shaw bundle is twice my fuel bill.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:40 AM   #46
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
It's 1.71-1.80 CAD A litre for 91 octane (regular) out here in New Zealand where everything's more expensive... yet petrol seems to be on par with Canada -_-
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:09 AM   #47
I subscribe to Revscene

As mayor I would;
Sell the Canucks to New Hampshire... and replace them with the Grizzlies for an end profit. Then we sell the B.C. Lions to Edmonton and build a refinery at the Stadium!

Alberta is loaded, why wouldnt they want another football team?
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2017, 07:05 AM   #48
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Not my reality and I'm a parent. Live within your means, pack a lunch for work and don't eat out that often for dinners. If you want something new and shiny save your money instead of taking the easy route and financing it.

Isn't that the norm ? Saving up and living within your means ?
Old 04-05-2017, 07:32 AM   #49
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by will068 View Post
Isn't that the norm ? Saving up and living within your means ?
That's how it should be. Unfortunately unless you're living at home rent free or you and your partner are pulling in 6 figures each you most likely aren't saving up 20% for a down payment.

That's the different between now and 10-15 years ago.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2017, 08:35 AM   #50
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.V.M. View Post
nobody likes paying more, but an increase in fuel is fuck all to your monthly budget. my Shaw bundle is twice my fuel bill.
Maybe in your world it's not a big hit to your budget.
But what about parents? What about those who commute long distances? What about people who have kids in sports?

I pay an average of $100 for a tank of gas in my truck, and I go through 6 tanks a month. Add $20 to each tank, and I'm out $120/month.That's equal to a nice dinner out with the wife. But most of all it's another $120 that they're taking from me. Add to that the increased cost of everything in the silly province and who has anything left over at the end of the month?

So forgive me when I roll my eyes at your reply. It must be nice to be able to piss away an extra $100+ a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stRider View Post
Let your son know that the STi is in good hands and I'm keeping it forever
Will do brother!
I knew you and her were meant to be together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
I totally agree.

But we have this first world problem where people think they're entitled for a nice car and still complain about gas prices.
If you look around the world, most people do not own a car. Even in Canada, it's not hard to find people without cars.

Yes we need to make our living so we need some kind of transportation, but there are cars that are made for that. (they tend to be boring to drive).

There are options like public transit, if not, scooters as well.
Honestly Timpo, fuck the rest of the world.
I don't care if some asshole is eating bugs in Nigeria, or some Thai national can't afford shoes. All I care about is maintaining my North American lifestyle.

I don't want to ride a scooter like some uneducated villager in Pakistan. I want the white picket fence, I want land, and I want to drive a big truck. I didn't choose to open the immigrant floodgates. I didn't choose to export our oil and grain to the US and Asia. Someone else did, and they're reaping the benefits. Is it fair that the billionaires are getting richer, while many of us are getting poorer and being forced to change our lifestyles? Not at all.

Yet so many folks such as yourself are willing to accept that. And that my friend, is sad. The erosion of North America is our generations greatest loss.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: