REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:45 PM   #26
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
Oh you mean dont let the crew members on board. So they don't show for your Chicago to LA flight putting 186 people in a hotel for a night?

That makes a lot of sense. As much as you think an airline is just trying to screw you, it is a game of what is going to disturb shit the least. Think about it
To the air lines that might be it. But to me. I am going to miss my train, a day less vacation, have to get back home and come again the next day (or if you are away have to get hotel for the night), have my plans screw up and if I have connecting flights I miss those too and therefore screw up my trip even more. Not to mention if I pre prchase tickets for concerts, trains then it gets all screw up coz the airline over book. So no I don't have a shit about the airline since they don't have a shit about us.

If they care they should not overbook or up their compensation till someone who is willing to give up their seats. Forcing someone off is not the way to go.
Advertisement
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:47 PM   #27
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
Of course they need to get their staff to the destination. But the solution isn't to have police drag people off. Someone said above, keep upping the offer, someone will take it eventually.
If you have to give away 1500 per seat, sorry, if you're going to overbook, you sometimes take a hit.
Exactly. That is where I am saying we are not seeing the whole story.

As I said before though, if you are argumentative or confrontational to airline staff it is not going to get you anywhere. If you are being difficult I wouldn't expect it to go your way. The industry has seen its fair share of nutcases in the past while. Airlines take safety very seriously.

Just like at your home, a restaurant or your own vehicle. It isnt anyones right to be on board except the owner. You can be asked to leave. If police were required to remove your presence, I think that is probably your own wrong doing despite if you feel you are in the right. Get off, yell, sue, call the police... Do whatever you feel is right. But you wont be on the airplane.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:48 PM   #28
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
united is horrible, just like air canada rouge... my flight was delayed by 4hrs, i had it setup so that they would notify me by phone if there were changes to my flight, i didn't get notified, arrived at the airport 3hrs early... and i got a $15.00 voucher for my troubles -_- couldve had several more hours of fun :/
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2017, 01:48 PM   #29
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
I would consider this more of an isolated incident than the norm, however, it is evident that UA did not handle this situation very well, during and after the incident.

AC & UA have been good to me, so I will continue to do business with them.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:49 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
To the air lines that might be it. But to me. I am going to miss my train, a day less vacation, have to get back home and come again the next day (or if you are away have to get hotel for the night), have my plans screw up and if I have connecting flights I miss those too and therefore screw up my trip even more. Not to mention if I pre prchase tickets for concerts, trains then it gets all screw up coz the airline over book. So no I don't have a shit about the airline since they don't have a shit about us.

If they care they should not overbook or up their compensation till someone who is willing to give up their seats. Forcing someone off is not the way to go.
Yes.

Now do that to 186 people. Think before you speak.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2017, 01:50 PM   #31

Alright .. Tuning out. This is sidetracking me from my day working on the car.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:52 PM   #32
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,765 Posts
Quote:
??
Yes. Its a business. If its not making money it doesnt exist.
You just said that they try to "disturb shit the least", which is contradictory if you admit their "bottom line" comes first.

It's a bunch of bullshit anyways. If a passenger no-shows at the last minute they don't get a refund, so these Airline fuckers are just trying to double dip fares at the passengers' expense.

Not acceptable.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2017, 01:53 PM   #33
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Quote:
Oh you mean dont let the crew members on board. So they don't show for your Chicago to LA flight putting 186 people in a hotel for a night?
is that somehow the beaten victim's fault?

i'm not doubting there could be more to this story (don't understand why else they would've gotten violent), but at the end of the day this is 100% on the airline.
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:00 PM   #34

Ok one last reply.

Airline fares are competitive. If they have to double dip, because the other airline is doing the same... Well guess what is going to happen. We all want $200 trips to Mexico in the winter. This is what comes from it.

Yes, disturbing shit the least is correct. If you look at it in black in white, an airline might as well not fly. Crews get sick, airplanes break, passengers have medical emergencies... The logistics of an airline is way deeper then the average person thinks about. Its all calculated and someone up top is taking the risk.

Disturbing shit the least not only helps the overall passenger, it also saves the company money. Business remember.

And yes, its probably to screw the passenger who is paying their salary.

Last edited by hud 91gt; 04-10-2017 at 02:08 PM.
hud 91gt is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-10-2017, 02:01 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
is that somehow the beaten victim's fault?

i'm not doubting there could be more to this story (don't understand why else they would've gotten violent), but at the end of the day this is 100% on the airline.
That looks like the police to me.

I'm assuming the pour soul who wouldn't get off the airplane felt it was his right to be on there. Its not. He wouldnt listen. He didnt even listen when police were on board. As I said, deal with it off the plane, because he isnt going...

But yes, the problem stems from the airlines over booking procedures. I dont think this happens everyday.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:05 PM   #36
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Yes.

Now do that to 186 people. Think before you speak.
The other 186 people is not my problem. That's the airline fault for overbooking. So they can up the compensation till someone gives up their seats or give the 4FA take a private jet/another airline,train etc etc and eat the cost so next time they don't do it again.

Not my fault United overbook and are too cheap to give out compensation. They did this to themselves.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2017, 02:11 PM   #37
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
Exactly. That is where I am saying we are not seeing the whole story.

As I said before though, if you are argumentative or confrontational to airline staff it is not going to get you anywhere. If you are being difficult I wouldn't expect it to go your way.
This is where we disagree. I think we are seeing the whole story.
If you started the argument, then you should be kicked off. But if the airline is trying to kick you off because of their own fault, and you refuse to move, that's their fault, not yours. They literally could have solved this problem with another $800 voucher.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:16 PM   #38

I do agree. But once again just because you bought a ticket doesnt mean you own that seat. I'm not defending the airlines actions at all, just trying to broaden the insight people see on the industry. Just like mrhappyslip, peoples views are generally very narrow.

$1000 woukd have been peanuts compared to the damage the media is causing, the 2.5 hour delay (remember half those people on the flight were probably connecting passenger which may have missed their connection).
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2017, 02:17 PM   #39
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Reading some of the comments on reddit, it's laughable what united does with their vouchers. One person said they got multiple $50 vouchers, one voucher allowed per flight, expires in a year, and they can't use it for "popular" flight paths/times.
Oshiguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:17 PM   #40

This guy refusing to move, right or wrong, got us all talking about this overbooking issue and how airlines handled this situation.

The sentiment among the general public right now is that United Airlines done fucked up, and hopefully this incident brings about change.

I seem to recall another incident in history where a passenger refused to move, which sparked ALL sorts of change in society...
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2017, 02:34 PM   #41
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,814 Times in 2,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I would consider this more of an isolated incident than the norm, however, it is evident that UA did not handle this situation very well, during and after the incident.

AC & UA have been good to me, so I will continue to do business with them.
that's b/c you probably don't sit in the fight club seats, too mainstream.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:58 PM   #42
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
I'm a bit unclear on the situation (and possibly how flight arrangement work). I thought if regular passengers don't show up for their flights, there's passengers on standby that can take those empty seats?

But how do you literally have too many people actually enter the plane so that people have to be removed from the seats? Don't they do a count of how many seats they have available and let in that same amount of passengers through the gates?
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:07 PM   #43
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
Also why does it have to be a random generated selection for removal, why not just remove the last 4 people who bought tickets last.. I mean If I had planned months in advance for a flight only to get randomly selected for removal, I would be pretty irate.

I wish I got randomly selected for upgrades more often... like that would happen.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:10 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon-88 View Post
Also why does it have to be a random generated selection for removal, why not just remove the last 4 people who bought tickets last.. I mean If I had planned months in advance for a flight only to get randomly selected for removal, I would be pretty irate.
Many people are questioning the "randomness" of the system, and thinking it biases towards people who paid less for their tickets which usually means those who booked well in advance.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 04-10-2017, 03:10 PM   #45
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Their random generated seat selector is the same random generator that happens to always luck-out on choosing a brown person for screening.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:13 PM   #46
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
Quote:
I'm not defending the airlines actions at all
yeah you are
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:22 PM   #47
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
I'm a bit unclear on the situation (and possibly how flight arrangement work). I thought if regular passengers don't show up for their flights, there's passengers on standby that can take those empty seats?

But how do you literally have too many people actually enter the plane so that people have to be removed from the seats? Don't they do a count of how many seats they have available and let in that same amount of passengers through the gates?
I think someone mentioned it earlier, but the "extra passengers" were flight crew that needed to get to their next destination, so they weren't pre-booked passengers.

Nobody likes being bumped on a flight, but overbooking is becoming pretty commonplace with the razor thin margins that the airlines run on. I'd say about 1/3 of the flights I take are overbooked and in reality, they have to do this to some extent to make sure that they maximize their earning potential for each flight. Plenty of business travelers, especially passengers with status on the airline or higher fare classes can cancel/reschedule with very little notice leaving them with little to no revenue for a now empty seat. It's a gamble for the airlines, but ultimately, they got to be prepared to pay if they're taking the gamble of overbooking.

However, they way they handled this situation was terrible - especially when the problem could have been solved with money. It blows my mind that they'd elect to forcibly remove a passenger than throw more money at a problem until it's solved. There's absolutely no upside that can come out of getting cops to drag someone out of a plane.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2017, 03:27 PM   #48
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,403 Times in 858 Posts
As other have alluded to, reason why the flight was overbooked is because airlines typically sell +10% of capacity due to no shows and last minute cancellations.

I know this to be true for AC. I'd presume WestJet would use the same metric.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:30 PM   #49
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Ted explains the science of overbooking:

Its a game they play. Sometimes (most times) the house win, and sometimes the house lose. If they lose, they better make damn sure they can pay up appropriately.

And below is an interesting video explaining economics of airline - how majority of their profit are from business class. Economy class are just there to fill up space. They will NEVER bump business or 1st class.

Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2017, 03:49 PM   #50
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
I'm confused as to why they let everyone board, and THEN asked for people to get off. Like I said, I've been bumped on a flight before when I had booked my ticket well in advance, however, at least they did it while we were waiting to board. If the staff needed to get to their destination, you would think that they knew about that before they let people on the plane..