REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-03-2017, 04:54 PM   #26
HELP ME PLS!!!

Mortality has gone up like 30%? I remember a time where people only lived till 60. On average, it's now 81.
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2017, 05:39 PM   #27
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Seen my sister with her new born (well more like 10months now). Is more than a full time job. I am not really sure how she would manage once she have to go back to work. Luckily my mom is helping to look after the baby 3 times a week and the other 2 days is day care.

I just can't see myself having kids. Is not just spending time with them but also the cost of having kids. I mean sure you can raise your kids with min wage and both parents goes to work. Not really sure how kids will turn out then...... When I was growing up yea both of the parents work long hours and aren't home all day but back then we didn't have this much access to the internet and all these technology. I still remember the worse thing I did was playing tag with friends one his roof top. That's was it. I got grounded for days lol. Now there are way too many scary things out there.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:32 PM   #28
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Besides the obvious economics factors here or, say, in Toronto... who the hell wants to have kids in the societal climate we live in? I watch what my sister deals with on a daily basis with her kids and the various mommy groups and other parents at daycare and schools... people are absofuckinglutely mental nowadays, there's so many alt-left gender bender recognize everyone nonsense crazy-ass parents out there now it's insane! Our social fabric is complete garbage to deal with, I don't know how my sister keeps her shit together.

Nevermind access to internet and information nowadays makes it so you're effectively choosing to either have kids, and focus on them for the next 20 years of your life, or explore the world and live freely with the 1 chance on the planet you do have... it's pretty intense, you have to REALLY want to have kids and be super invested in that process, otherwise it's just painful to sit there on one side of a window watching single or non-child rearing friends traveling wherever at a whim and taking whatever opportunities in life come their way. You can thank Instagram and Facebook for that depression! Likewise some people are on the other side staring in wishing they had a child, but I think those people are far fewer nowadays than before.

Maybe I'm just not programmed for kids, but I spend a couple hours around my niece or nephew or anyone else's kids and I'm like "See ya, enjoy!" and can't imagine doing that for 16+ hours per day. Gone are the days when I grew up when mommy stayed home and daddy went to work too... so both parents are busting their asses at work and then probably fighting more from stress and financial issues. No thanks!
I think it's great that you realize that you don't want kids, instead of being clueless and have kids without understanding the responsibilities that come with it.

You do seem to have a distorted view about raising a kid though, as if it's all about having your freedom taken away. There's a true joy in raising kids and seeing how they grow and acquire new skills. Yes, raising kids can be highly stressful. It can be very taxing physically and mentally. It will set you back financially as well. But there are so many moments of joy you could only experience as a parent. I'm in fact growing and learning together with my kids. It's not something people without kids can understand as they tend to see only the negatives.

The growing aging population simply isn't sustainable. You have a huge cost burden resting on proportionally smaller younger generation. We need more capable people to raise kids to be productive members of society. Unfortunately, oftentimes it's the dumb ones who have the most time on their hand to reproduce.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:40 PM   #29
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagella View Post
I think it's great that you realize that you don't want kids, instead of being clueless and have kids without understanding the responsibilities that come with it.

You do seem to have a distorted view about raising a kid though, as if it's all about having your freedom taken away. There's a true joy in raising kids and seeing how they grow and acquire new skills. Yes, raising kids can be highly stressful. It can be very taxing physically and mentally. It will set you back financially as well. But there are so many moments of joy you could only experience as a parent. I'm in fact growing and learning together with my kids. It's not something people without kids can understand as they tend to see only the negatives.

The growing aging population simply isn't sustainable. You have a huge cost burden resting on proportionally smaller younger generation. We need more capable people to raise kids to be productive members of society. Unfortunately, oftentimes it's the dumb ones who have the most time on their hand to reproduce.
Agreed, there are some negatives for sure but the positives are pretty fricking unbelievable and you have to live them to realize how enjoyable they are. My biggest regret now is not having another one when my wife wanted, now I'm to old.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-03-2017, 06:48 PM   #30
HELP ME PLS!!!

Over 51?

Babies at higher risk of autism if father is too young or too old: study - National | Globalnews.ca

Not sure how legit this study is, but it seems to be in line with what I've heard. Then again, this only looks as autism as well.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:51 PM   #31

No I'm in my early 40s but my son is 11 this month not doing diapers and baby's again at this point.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
Old 05-03-2017, 07:19 PM   #32
HELP ME PLS!!!

I see what you mean. I agree, the first three months of babycare are the toughest.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:55 PM   #33
My homepage has been set to RS

Isn't this a problem with the majority of the world. Baby boom generation

Wonder how much this will actually effect us..

Could be good for real estate though haha.. Majority of people retiring, means they may not be able to afford their home. Let the downsizing begin! Wooooheee

Wishful thinking aside. I'm 100% sure a LOT of almost retired people with mortgages and what not. Who will not be able to keep their standard of living after they are pushed to retire.. May have to
MelonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:11 PM   #34
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,297 Times in 2,510 Posts
Quote:
Unfortunately, I can't see this as anything other than a downward spiral. The undeniable fact is, those with the least amount of education and in the lower classes of society incur the least opportunity cost when they have children. If you have a doctor or a business woman giving birth, her down time costs in terms of lost wages is gonna be huge compared to a woman earning minimum wage. And then as the child grows, the "costs of investments" into the children is also going to be HUGE for the wealthier and educated parents compared to the poorer and not very educated parents. And so those who are the least equipped to give birth and raise children are the ones that do it the most.

Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:59 AM   #35
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Soylent green to solve our food problems!
Good one. Not many people get this reference.
Reeyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:52 AM   #36
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
No I'm in my early 40s but my son is 11 this month not doing diapers and baby's again at this point.

diapers, and crying all night and zero sleep

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2017, 07:19 AM   #37

Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeyal View Post
Good one. Not many people get this reference.
Soylent Green is PEOPLE!
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:36 AM   #38
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
remember in school when we were told that jobs would be plentiful because of retiring Baby Boomers?

nah they'll be living longer and continue to work...too bad for the snowflakes
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:47 AM   #39
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
remember in school when we were told that jobs would be plentiful because of retiring Baby Boomers?

nah they'll be living longer and continue to work...too bad for the snowflakes
I'm sure some Baby Boomers remember growing up in a time when they were told automation would be great because it meant more leisure time for everyone. Perhaps with the strength of unions at the time, they never considered automation and overseas job displacement to be a threat to the middle class.

Last edited by Bouncing Bettys; 05-04-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Bouncing Bettys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:10 PM   #40
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

I disagree about "low" paying jobs. There's lot of opportunity in trades that younger folk can become skilled in. However they don't because they think it's crap/dirty/hard work and would rather work in an office instead. Well guess what, trades is what it takes to make a decent living in Vancouver.

Quite frankly, I wish I did trades instead of getting some bullshit science degree.

People can dream to go travelling when working on a minimum wage job. But you have to be realistic and make the necessary sacrifices to do so, whether it's going back to school or working even harder.
jcmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2017, 12:39 PM   #41
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Quote:

I'm a fairly new dad. My son will be 5 months old on the 7th. I totally agree with everything that you've said. Yes, it can be taxing physically, mentally and be a big time hit financially but the joy and happiness that you get is priceless. People who don't have kids will never understand.
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2017, 01:00 PM   #42
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
I disagree about "low" paying jobs. There's lot of opportunity in trades that younger folk can become skilled in. However they don't because they think it's crap/dirty/hard work and would rather work in an office instead. Well guess what, trades is what it takes to make a decent living in Vancouver.

Quite frankly, I wish I did trades instead of getting some bullshit science degree.

People can dream to go travelling when working on a minimum wage job. But you have to be realistic and make the necessary sacrifices to do so, whether it's going back to school or working even harder.
The thing with trades you can't do it till you retire. Sister in law is an auto mech makes a ton (They already have one townhouse and an apartment). However he is looking to change jobs. Fully knowing once he grow older (early to mid 50s) or even earlier he won't able to perform the job (not physically enough, younger guys can do your job faster etc etc...) so he is looking for a change. I mean with an office work or something that isn't physically demanding you can do the same work for much much longer than trades.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:47 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
The thing with trades you can't do it till you retire. Sister in law is an auto mech makes a ton (They already have one townhouse and an apartment). However he is looking to change jobs. Fully knowing once he grow older (early to mid 50s) or even earlier he won't able to perform the job (not physically enough, younger guys can do your job faster etc etc...) so he is looking for a change. I mean with an office work or something that isn't physically demanding you can do the same work for much much longer than trades.
Most of our estimators and project managers came from the field. I'm in the trades but I work in an office 5 days week besides the odd side visit and meeting. Most of my friends my age who also started in the trades are also in an office somewhere, they either started their own company, or are in management for someone. I could do this job until I was 70 if I wanted to.

We do some physical stuff here I mean there's golf which can really fuck your back up and sturgeon fishing those bastards like to pull.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:18 PM   #44
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Funny, but people actually say this stuff! My sister recently sent me a screen-cap of a parent arguing against the autistic puppet on Sesame Street saying it doesn't raise awareness because he's treated like he's special and they should be treated the same as everyone else... you know... pretending there's not something wrong?

She also, I shit you not, said "I probably would have been diagnosed with autism myself as a child"......... ???? are you implying that you cured yourself of a genetic disorder lady? Or are you still autistic???? LOL

Oh and another one where the kid did a math exercise at school that asked them to identify which food had more calories and which one has less sodium from some nutrition charts, and the parents complained against the teacher because she was instilling shame in the kids for eating certain foods and that would lead to body image issues. WTF????
Heard on the radio today that school's shouldn't recognize and do crafts and stuff for Mothers Day / Fathers Day because not everybody has a mom and dad, sometimes it's two moms, sometimes it's two dads.

Fuck. This. Shit.

Cadillac CTS (Current)
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2017, 02:24 PM   #45
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
^^^

and parents can only laud praise on their child via 'jazz hands'
Old 05-04-2017, 02:34 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Most of our estimators and project managers came from the field. I'm in the trades but I work in an office 5 days week besides the odd side visit and meeting. Most of my friends my age who also started in the trades are also in an office somewhere, they either started their own company, or are in management for someone. I could do this job until I was 70 if I wanted to.

We do some physical stuff here I mean there's golf which can really fuck your back up and sturgeon fishing those bastards like to pull.
That's good. I mean one of my managers (who retire last year) was around 70 and he works in the field a lot (mostly light to medium physically work). But I can tell you he is more healthy than me lol. But then again he doesn't need to do a lot of physical stuff. My dad also works in a cardbox factory till he retire at 66.

I think for more physical work (construction workers for example) is hard to actually contiune the job after mid 50.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:33 PM   #47
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,326 Times in 5,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjoint View Post
I'm a fairly new dad. My son will be 5 months old on the 7th. I totally agree with everything that you've said. Yes, it can be taxing physically, mentally and be a big time hit financially but the joy and happiness that you get is priceless. People who don't have kids will never understand.
I think the people going on about not knowing the joys of having children are just as ignorant as people who say they won't have children for the joys of the freedom and flexibility.

Personal choice, but to say someone with a kid is just instantly happier and experiences more joy in their life is absolute bullshit imo. The majority of people I know who have kids and struggle financially are overall miserable people.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:55 PM   #48
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
And that's what's wrong with our society. People who are generally into themselves should never, ever, ever, have children. If they're miserable, just imagine how miserable their offspring will be.

EDIT: Having said that, I've seen people who have children by mistake do a complete 180.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-05-2017, 01:45 AM   #49
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I've recently had a baby. Both me and my wife decided to dedicate full time to him and raise him ourselves. Pretty much had to put our business on hold since raising a kid is literally more than a full time job. Honestly though, I'd rather put making money on hold for a few years and raise my kid right, than let some nanny or daycare raise him to grow up and become a little shit like every other kid this generation.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:26 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by J____ View Post
I've recently had a baby. Both me and my wife decided to dedicate full time to him and raise him ourselves. Pretty much had to put our business on hold since raising a kid is literally more than a full time job. Honestly though, I'd rather put making money on hold for a few years and raise my kid right, than let some nanny or daycare raise him to grow up and become a little shit like every other kid this generation.
The daycare isn't the problem it's the parents. My kid was in daycare from 1 to 10, he's a great kid well mannered well adjusted and overall a good kid. If your kid is going to be a D-Bag it's because of you not because of his or her daycare. You want to see some awkward not well adjusted kids look no further then the kids who are home schooled, my son has played sports with a few different ones over the years and those kids are super introverted and weird as fuck future serial killers of the world.

Last edited by quasi; 05-05-2017 at 07:17 AM.
This post thanked by: