REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:27 PM   #26
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
and of course they let the cockpit audio overwrite to save their hides
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the CVR runs on loops of 30 mins. After 30 mins, the CVR starts a new recording and overwrites the previous one. Therefore, the time it took to execute a go around, rejoin the approach pattern, land, vacate the runway and taxi to the gate, and then go through shutdown procedures was most likely more than 30 mins. This doesn't take into account the potential for holding patterns prior to rejoining approach traffic, taxi delays, gate delays and so fourth.

Therefore, I believe its unlikely the pilots made a conscious effort to prolong their shift just to make sure the recording of the initial approach would disappear. Regardless of the recording, ATC probably had a phone number for the pilots to contact upon landing, which in turn would subsequently be reported to the airline.
Advertisement
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:27 PM   #27
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,834 Times in 1,480 Posts
This is a lot closer then I had assumed. No doubt the pilots screwed up. I dont know a single pilot who has not misjudged a runway before for the wrong piece of pavement. The fact that they both did is why this was so close to a scary moment.

Late night, slam dunk SFO approaches, non standard procedures and maintenence on the runway. ATC issues. I'm betting a long duty day. These will all be contributing factors.

The CVR... The fact it wasn't an accident would be the reason it wasn't a rush to grab it. Simply put, the aircraft carried on with its work. I dont know if its the NTSBs job or the company, but either way id assume no one thought it was much of an incident until the details were really seen. The plane probably sat for a few hours then was on its way before anyone was in the office. As stated before. It is on a continuous reel. 30 mins, 2 hours
.. Who knows. The plane kept working.

Last edited by hud 91gt; 08-03-2017 at 08:40 PM.
hud 91gt is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-03-2017, 09:18 PM   #28
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
The approach line they showed on the news seemed like they would have only hit the rear most plane, probably wouldn't have been worse than when the two 747's collided
Old 08-04-2017, 07:40 AM   #29
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
The design of that airport in general seems weird as hell to me, but I don't design airports for a living.

Quote:
how do you mistake blue for white on approach?
From that kind of distance, I'd imagine pretty easily. Especially if the blue covers are faded from years of sitting outside.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:05 AM   #30
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,062 Times in 1,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
The approach line they showed on the news seemed like they would have only hit the rear most plane, probably wouldn't have been worse than when the two 747's collided
It would be like hitting one pin in the bowling rink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
The design of that airport in general seems weird as hell to me, but I don't design airports for a living.

From that kind of distance, I'd imagine pretty easily. Especially if the blue covers are faded from years of sitting outside.
Airport is in a shallow valley and being by the coast, they have need to have east west runways. Not much flat land in san francisco proper. Also, they are should be blue leds by now.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:50 AM   #31
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Another close call, on a planetary scale:
Old 08-06-2017, 09:58 PM   #32
My homepage has been set to RS

No one injured after 2 airplanes at Pearson clip wings
Air Canada, LOT Polish Airlines planes damaged, LOT passengers bused to Kitchener for the night
By Muriel Draaisma, CBC News Posted: Aug 06, 2017 10:07 AM ET Last Updated: Aug 06, 2017 8:02 PM ET

LOT Polish Airlines says the winglet of its Boeing 787 Dreamliner was hit by the winglet of the Air Canada Rouge 767 while it was trying to park in a neighbouring position.
LOT Polish Airlines says the winglet of its Boeing 787 Dreamliner was hit by the winglet of the Air Canada Rouge 767 while it was trying to park in a neighbouring position. (Sumair Balouch)

2109 shares

Facebook

Twitter

Reddit

Google

Email
No one was injured when two airplanes clipped wings at Toronto's Pearson International Airport on Saturday night, according to the Greater Toronto Airports Authority.

Air Canada Flight AC1713 made contact with a LOT Polish Airlines plane, LOT046, at the gate of Terminal 1 at about 10:18 p.m., Natalie Moncur, spokesperson for the GTAA, said Sunday.

Peter Fitzpatrick, spokesperson for Air Canada, said in an email there were 286 passengers on board the Air Canada flight at the time of the collision.

The inbound Air Canada Rouge plane, a Boeing 767-300, had arrived from Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic and was parking when it collided with the LOT aircraft, he said.

"The matter is under investigation," he said on Sunday.

LOT says entire wing must be inspected

In an email on Sunday, LOT Polish Airlines said its Boeing 787 Dreamliner was at the gate with passengers boarding the aircraft when its winglet was hit by the winglet of the Air Canada Rouge 767 while it was trying to park in a neighbouring bay.

Pearson incident 6
LOT Polish Airlines says the entire wing of the aircraft that was hit will have to be inspected. (Sumair Balouch)

It said no passengers on board its aircraft were affected or injured.

The damaged winglet will have to be replaced and the entire wing will have to be inspected, it said. The flight from Toronto to Warsaw was cancelled. Passengers on the plane were accommodated in a hotel and rebooked to other flights, it said.

"We are investigating this incident with airport authorities and our colleagues from Air Canada," it said.

TSB is gathering information

Chris Krepski, spokesperson for the Transportation Safety Board of Canada, based in Gatineau, Que., said damage to the wings of both aircrafts was extensive.

The board was notified about the collision involving the two airplanes and is gathering information, but has not sent an investigator to the airport, he said. A formal TSB investigation has not yet been launched.

Pearson incident 1
A LOT Polish Airlines plane and an Air Canada plane are shown here parked at Toronto's Pearson International Airport on Saturday night. The two aircraft clipped wings. No one was injured but damage to both planes was extensive, according to the Transportation Safety Board of Canada. (CBC)

"Based on the information we received, it was the Air Canada aircraft that contacted the wing of the LOT Polish Airlines aircraft while taxiing to the gate. The LOT aircraft at the time was parked and preparing for departure," he said.

"We have been notified and we are following up with both operators as well as Greater Toronto Airports Authority, but we are not deploying to the airport right now. We are going to assess what our next steps will be."

Moncur said the collision occurred on what is known as the "apron" in the gate area, where the planes park to allow passengers to board and disembark.

She said the GTAA's Fire and Emergency Services, Peel Regional Police, Mississauga Fire and Toronto Paramedic Services all responded to the collision.

"Any time an incident occurs, we, of course, follow protocol, and that includes calling the Transportation Safety Board, which is what happened last night," Moncur said.
danned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:59 PM   #33

danned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:14 AM   #34
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
Toronto Learns to Park
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:59 PM   #35
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:

and of course they let the cockpit audio overwrite to save their hides

OK if you're an expert, why not try helping answer some questions instead of name-calling? Everyone fucks up some times...how common is it for both pilots to miss something so routine simultaneously? Busy or not, how do you mistake blue for white on approach? If it's extremely easy and a majorly flawed system, why haven't we heard of more stories like this often?
CVR's overwrite on themselves.

Name calling? Get out of your bubble wrap.

I am no "expert", my IFR knowledge is piss poor at best right now as I haven't practiced it in ages. All I was saying is that the accident was avoided, so although they made some mistakes, the other fail safes did their job.

No it's not common.

Last edited by GabAlmighty; 05-03-2018 at 09:00 AM.
GabAlmighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:12 PM   #36

dont mind me playing armchair when both pilots endangered hundreds if not a thousand lives even if it was unintentional...to have even gotten to stage of maybe 20ft away from a loaded jet at 160kph is a farce.

i admit if I were in that position, and no one immediately asked for the tape to be turned in, I would've probably kept on business as usual.

i'm just hopeing AC will do something voluntarily so Death doesn't come knocking on the door again. Not even suspending the pilots, but just go, OK how the hell did that happen and how do we make sure it doesn't come to anywhere near that in the future

the worst and likely thing i could see them doing is continue operating without being pro-active just because the incident didn't occur.

Last edited by twitchyzero; 08-08-2017 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:02 PM   #37
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,105 Times in 5,001 Posts
^ I doubt that, airlines are not in the business of losing planes that cost hundreds of millioms of dollars let alone all the hundreds of millions or more in civil suits they'd have to pay out in the event of causing that many deaths to all the surviving families/victims.

I would expect it was taken very seriously internally.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-09-2017, 08:52 AM   #38

Flying into SFO today.

But on United
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:47 PM   #39
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
Flying into SFO today.

But on United
BlackV62K2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:53 PM   #40

in reality it's more like what, 15-20ft?

This post thanked by:
Old 05-03-2018, 06:17 AM   #41
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
Flying into SFO today.

But on United
i'm heading down there next week on my way to cabo with them
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote