REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:59 PM   #51
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
Of course it will keep happening, but as the decades go by the hope is that it'll be less frequent. It doesn't have to be instant to work.

And yes the car thing... How many people were killed with that latest car killing compared to Vegas or Texas? Pretty sure a car ain't killing 50 people, and if they do, they are one excellent driver.

I don't see why people say things like "and when it doesn't work?" So what? Do we have to sacrifice a million puppies in the name of a failed attempt of stopping mass shootings? We're still trying to figure out this cure for cancer thing, would we just give up on that too, because heaven forbid a fix didn't come in the first year of trying.
And at the moment, not in the headlines, is that the USA has bought over 40 million more guns during Obama's presidency and the death rate per capita by guns is at a 40 year low. But, sensationalism wins the minds of those with the eyes closed. Meanwhile, over 1000 dead from drugs in BC alone thus far this year - maybe more legislation will do the trick, eh?
Advertisement
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:22 PM   #52
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
[QUOTE=Hondaracer;8871320]

not saying i have the answer, nor do i really care what the states do, let them implode upon themselves.
/QUOTE]

Then we will face a huge surge in American refugees. Already seen an big increase of Americans moving to Nanaimo.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:28 PM   #53
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
And at the moment, not in the headlines, is that the USA has bought over 40 million more guns during Obama's presidency and the death rate per capita by guns is at a 40 year low. But, sensationalism wins the minds of those with the eyes closed. Meanwhile, over 1000 dead from drugs in BC alone thus far this year - maybe more legislation will do the trick, eh?
Ok well let’s start selling fentanyl at sporting goods stores and we will watch that number go down according to your logic.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2017, 04:54 PM   #54
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Quote:
Yeah I can go on some pro smoking websites and find articles explaining how everything is BS and it actually prevents lung cancer so I can feel better about it instead of what I see with my own eyes. Anyways enjoy the KoolAid.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:11 PM   #55
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Last edited by zyzzjr; 12-18-2017 at 02:33 PM.
zyzzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:31 PM   #56
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Ok well let’s start selling fentanyl at sporting goods stores and we will watch that number go down according to your logic.
No, because people that do illegal drugs will continue to do such, that is human psyche. Legal gun owners isn't the issue, they are the most law-abiding citizens. That's logic and common facts that you may wish to validate or just argue your opinions - you choose.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:33 PM   #57
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
At first, I was a little concerned for our friend, el bastardo, but then saw the word "church" in the title............... gulolol.

El Bastardo has survived floods, storms, lightning, shootings, wildfires, even the wrath of jesus. He is the Chuck Norris of RS. Amen!
Hahaha. Deep thanks to you, MG. I mean that!

The shooting took place in a small town. I don't mean like Hope small, or Merritt small. It was a tiny tiny town. I can guarantee in a town like that you were either related to or were friends of one of the victims.
This place has nothing and is close enough to San Antonio to be considered a "suburb" but I'd expect that most folks in the community work and stay and have lived in the community for most of their lives. This is probably how it has been for generations because thats the nature of most towns like that.

The impact this will have on the psyche of the town will last for a long time. You'll see people move to get away from the bitter memory of it all, and for years that will be the only thing people know about the place. When you think of a place like Columbine or Newtown or even Waco, you don't think of the colleges or history or scenery. You think of the violence.

It is unfortunate that a place like this will have to live with the stain of this asshole's actions for a long time and, to be honest, it is also unfortunate that the systems put in place that would have REGULATED THIS GUY OUT OF BUYING THE WEAPONS HE ACQUIRED FAILED.

Its really fucked up. And it should have been avoided.

There is a larger discussion about gun control here, but the fact was that Devin Kelley should not have been legally able to own a gun as others have the right to do. The exact same situation occurred years ago when Seung-Hui Cho acquired the weapons he would use to go on to use in the Virginia Tech Massacre.

Keep in mind, these guys bought guns legally. And even if they couldn't have, they could find a way to buy them retail. Even if they were flagged by the background check (which they should have been) they could still get their fingers on a trigger.

When you think of people buying these guns for those mass shootings, your mind might go to visions of someone opening the trunk of their four door sedan while in some back alley and showing you an armory from which you choose your piece. Nah. Much simpler than that.

A guy convicted of a felony who would be barred from buying firearms can walk into a sporting goods store in Texas (also, Louisiana and many others) and press his nose against the case, point to a gun, and say "I want that one". When it comes to run the background check, he has his girl (standing next to him the whole time) say "Its for me... because... of reasons" and she'll cleanly pass the background check.
Its obvious hes buying the gun and shes going to hand it to them before they've even reached their car in the parking lot, and the guy behind the counter knows it too, but try having a guy making minimum wage ($7.25 per hour) stop a dude from getting that gun. He doesn't care about that shit.
Even if he stops him from buying this gun at Academy, he can go to Cabela's, or Bass Pro Shop, or Field and Stream or wherever.

Its a complicated, messed up system. And I haven't even covered private sales which can legally take place in a Subway while both of you shake hands over meatball marinaras with only a little paperwork.

Oh, and threezero had mentioned in this thread about churches being "No Go" zones for firearms. You'd expect that, wouldn't you? They aren't always.

In Texas you have to post what is 30.06 notice or a 30.07 notice to legally people keep FROM conceal carrying or open carrying their weapons. You have the ASSUMPTION that people in a place WITHOUT the appropriate signage IS carrying. The only exception to that are businesses where 51% of their business is the business of selling alcohol for immediate consumption like in a bar or club, and they still have to legally post the sign in order for that to be enforceable.

Just take a moment with that and think on that.

The system is fucked up and fragmented in many terrible ways. And I'm offering criticisms without offering solutions. It'll take many different people with a huge diversity of thought and opinion to expertly unfuck this.

The positive we can gleam from this is as follows -

When I go to the mall to buy bikini bottoms, or when I go to the grocery store to buy cucumbers, or when I go to the beach, I know I'm probably surrounded by people who are packing. People who wake up every day without that blank, dead stare that we see in the photos that GS8 posted. These people hold the power to end everyone else's life in their pocket, their ankle, the small of their back, or their purse. But they don't.
There are far more people ready to defend themselves or others, as did Stephen Willeford who brought Devin Kelley's spree to an end. Not that he wanted to have to live with that on his conscience.

It is heartening to know that many people WANT to do good and carry with them weapons with them as a last resort when someone's mental health and when the system fails us all.

I wanted to include a picture of Willeford so that Kelley's dumbass stare isn't the only pic included in this thread.
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2017, 03:25 PM   #58
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Well spoken as usual.

Also, miss you big guy
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2017, 04:50 PM   #59
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Me two.............

Will have a mini meat at Ikea Coquitlam and pretend you're there. Lomac? You owe me a coffee............. wait, damn it. It's free. Or is it? I heard they stopped doing $1.00 breakfasts, gulolol.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2017, 05:01 PM   #60
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Quote:
No, because people that do illegal drugs will continue to do such, that is human psyche. Legal gun owners isn't the issue, they are the most law-abiding citizens. That's logic and common facts that you may wish to validate or just argue your opinions - you choose.
Legal law abiding gun owners will still be able to own guns with stricter gun control. Has this point not been made?
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2017, 05:25 PM   #61
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Me two.............

Will have a mini meat at Ikea Coquitlam and pretend you're there. Lomac? You owe me a coffee............. wait, damn it. It's free. Or is it? I heard they stopped doing $1.00 breakfasts, gulolol.
lomac will get you the coffee he owes you....only before 9am

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2017, 09:04 PM   #62
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Another one. This one is kind of funny.

Husband and wife accidentally shot during church gun safety talk - BBC News
Old 11-18-2017, 06:49 AM   #63
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
Legal law abiding gun owners will still be able to own guns with stricter gun control. Has this point not been made?
But how will he be able to argue about rights being taken away? Anyone who wants gun control only wants them banned so good guys can’t protect themselves!
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-22-2017, 10:34 PM   #64
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
This is a complete déjà vu of the Vegas thread.
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote