REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 11-09-2017, 10:15 AM   #26
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
I remember when me and my dad would go to yum cha every Saturday at Capstan way in Richmond (when food was good there) after that we pop in to NCIX across just to see what cheap and good

those were the days when they had good CS, i remember when we bought are Canon printer laser printer there, sales rep explained a lot to my dad (my kinda like to trust these pros when it comes to stuff like pc)

Dude was super honest and even did the math for my dad when if came to the long term use (which one was a better deal compare to my old Lexmark ink printer)

That's when my dad started to trust NCIX and we check there 1st before buying any where
Advertisement

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:12 PM   #27
I LIKE JDM!!

Thanked 2,175 Times in 715 Posts
Bring back Anitec!!!

YouTube
Instagram
flickr
Twitter
Portfolio
european is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2017, 12:15 PM   #28
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I'm back and forth between Vancouver and Toronto, and the Canada Computers stores I go to have no issues. Most of my colleagues have had good experiences with CC. Just because they have a shittier website (in your opinion) doesn't mean people won't buy from them. At the very least, I can walk in, and walk up and down the aisles and find what I want. Not sure which store you're going to.
Same here, when I lived in Toronto I used to go the location close to Spadina and College. Never had any issues and even when returning.

But I'll never forget my excitement of going to NCIX to pick up my parts for my first ever build. Haven't really shopped at NCIX since MemoryExpress came into town though. I've never had a bad experience with them before.
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:36 PM   #29
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
Last month this popped up in one of the bestof subs on reddit. Guy breaks down the fall of NCIX. I have no idea if any of this is true. I ordered a few things from NCIX in the past 2 years and just about every time something was on back order.

Spoiler!
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2017, 01:15 PM   #30
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
sounds like those losing their jobs soon should be grateful
if you ever find yourself in a toxic workplace, do your best to leave
life's too short to have some owner micromanage your shit when he can't get his together
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:30 PM   #31
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Wonder if that post was by a throwaway. Linus in one of WAN videos was briefly talking about NCIX since he still has inside connections.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:35 PM   #32
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansterdam View Post
I heard memory express is owned by the same company or owners as ncix ?

Ncix went downhill for me when they moved their Aberdeen location and switched the retail stores on W Broadway
Met both owners person. 100000% not true.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:59 PM   #33
_M2
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Anyone still in retail sales should find another career path in the next 3-5 years. Just look at Toys-R-Us, Sears, NCIX, Future Shop.
_M2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:40 PM   #34
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,149 Times in 388 Posts
That reddit post tracks with what I had heard about the management at NCIX years ago.

I also heard they ran into issues with the tax man.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:20 PM   #35
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
I always felt like NCIX just sort of fluked into being the big Canadian online PC retailer.

They did nothing special to make customers go there; just offered similar products as all the other stores, with prices you could assume would be at least fair if not a few dollars cheaper than say ANITEC or A-POWER or ATIC.

They just happened to be one of the first with a functioning website with good availability and these decent, consistent prices. Maybe they should have just focused on that site and continued as Canada's version of Newegg.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:24 PM   #36

apparently the Egg is involved in a multinational ponzi scheme

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...massive-fraud/
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-09-2017, 06:36 PM   #37

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
A few years back, I did a web order on Ncix and the part had to be shipped from warehouse. Two weeks later, still not a single word on the item. Then I contacted them and they said they haven't processed by order because they weren't sure if I wanted it.

WTF? I got super pissed and told them to cancel the order. Then I bitched at the girl, her name is Julie Huang, not sure if she still works there lol.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:13 PM   #38
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _M2 View Post
Anyone still in retail sales should find another career path in the next 3-5 years. Just look at Toys-R-Us, Sears, NCIX, Future Shop.
Depends on the store and management. There are also new stores opening. I would say if people want to work in retail get into a high end store. They seem to be doing really well. But of course you have to be a bitchy person and rat out your co-worker for the commission lol and kiss the mainland china people ass as if they were god.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-09-2017, 09:52 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I always felt like NCIX just sort of fluked into being the big Canadian online PC retailer.

They did nothing special to make customers go there; just offered similar products as all the other stores, with prices you could assume would be at least fair if not a few dollars cheaper than say ANITEC or A-POWER or ATIC.

They just happened to be one of the first with a functioning website with good availability and these decent, consistent prices. Maybe they should have just focused on that site and continued as Canada's version of Newegg.
They sort of started spear heading on the e-retail, then an active forum, then Linus had his unpacking boxes of CPU parts, and then there was even a time when geeks drooled over the marketing girl. They did do a few things during those time. At least I no longer have to run around computers stores asking for this week's specials or read the computer newpapers weekly.

Anitec was nicely done up; manager there did a good job but the owner just couldn't deal with it no more and got into real estate. It was just too hard to compete to be honest.

A-power did one thing right was incorporate their warehouse into their office and "retail". ATIC.. let's just say they were still doing hand written invoices for whatever purposes *ahem taxes....
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2017, 03:45 AM   #40
HELP ME PLS!!!

This was at a time when Future Shop and A&B Sound were the places to go for the uninitiated in the computer world. When it came to getting quality products at good prices, places like; NCIX, Anitec, and A-power were still relatively unknown.

For comparison, there was always a huge markup in prices compared to the same products in the States. Now, they're pretty much on par.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:06 AM   #41
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
In tight situations, if the biggest collector served the legal documents, I'm sure bankruptcy would have been the case. For now, there's no proof they are going bankrupt.

Are they going thru a tough time, sure they are, esp. when there are 4 threads with ex employees voicing their concerns.

1) Shedding all real estate... DUH... happens all the time, which is why they closed Toronto. All the "retail" stores are more like pick up locations. Real estate is expensive = close down.
2) Customer Service non-existent, of course...any department with zero or huge revenue generating purposes = laid off.
Think about it. Average ~$60k per employee (salary & benefits) X 50 employees. That's $3 million dollars a year!!!! just for employees... (don't get me started on 3.5% raises per yr on yearly raises for inflation)

as to aalex's comment... errrrr, it's holiday season, like any other retail during Xmas, blakc friday time period at the malls... people get laid off after the rush is over... pretty common practice.... (target, amazon, Best buy, Nordstrom etc)

*not an employee or ex-employee of NCIX
Where are people getting 3.5% raises annually!? Rate of inflation is not even half that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
i wish it was Anitec on Kingsway that survived, and NCIX that sealed its fate

i remember when NCIX weekly sales still meant something...even if they've always included MIR into their price lmao
Anitec was the shadiest computer store I've ever dealt with. Glad to see them gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _M2 View Post
But look at all the other retailers that are doing well. Toys R Us is not keeping up with the times. Most people still buying action figures and Lego aren't kids anymore. Kids these days want electronics.

Sears is just outdated with shady sales practices.

No point in keeping Future Shop as fake competition to Best Buy. Might as well keep the overhead down.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:13 AM   #42

but the grown ass kids are buying their kids legos....or lego video games. I haven't looked into their market share as of late but i would say it's still very relevant today.

are any of IT parts startups in Vancouver from the 90's boom not Asian? Just curious. Maybe their way of doing business simply isn't compatible with today's local market

on a related note, ME has expanded into the fraser valley...i wish them the best
Old 11-10-2017, 09:42 AM   #43
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Ironically I was just online a couple days ago on NCIX looking for some new parts to upgrade my desktop. Kind of just thought of them as my goto place, even considered to get them to help me put everything together and clean the dust in my desktop as well. Guess not anymore now lol.

Just did a quick check on a PSU I wanted and Amazon is cheaper by $10 already
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:14 PM   #44
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,815 Times in 341 Posts
BETTER REDEEM YOUR NCIX POINTS BEFORE ITS TOO LATEEEEEE !!

2018 Golf R MK7.5 (Daily)
2001 S2000 (Weekend Warrior)
1991 Merc 300 TE-24 AMG Estate - Sold
2005 STi - Sold
1987 AE86 GTS - Sold
1986 AE86 GTS - Sold
gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:47 PM   #45

already too late for that...if they dont fulfill orders paid in full by CC/debit, lol yeah they'll honour existing credit.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:38 PM   #46

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
^you can always buy some jackets, thats in stock

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:45 PM   #47
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Just bought a cheap printer from their Burnaby location few weeks ago lol. Thanks for the heads up.

Their buy online, pickup in store didn't process so the employee had to do it manually. I thought it was weird.

Last edited by Nlkko; 11-10-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:40 PM   #48

NCIX closed the retail (for a while now); Canada Computers is opening all the same cities once NCIX had their store.) hm.....

I'm thinking they are taking over the lease. (based on Canada computers's website locations today..) based on our best guess...
Old 11-10-2017, 05:46 PM   #49

looks like ME is popping up kitty-corner to NCIX (if it's still there) on West Broadway
that burns
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2017, 06:11 PM   #50
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,646 Times in 2,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
looks like ME is popping up kitty-corner to NCIX (if it's still there) on West Broadway
that burns
thats awesome for me haha no need to go Richmond anymore
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote