REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 11-08-2017, 09:39 AM   #1
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
NCIX going bankrupt

Seems like NCIX is going to bankrupt. Is on their fourms, RFD and even reddit. Any inside scope>
Advertisement
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:31 AM   #2
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,902 Posts
NOOOOOO ... please say it isn't so.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:37 AM   #3
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
there isn't any 100% proof that they are bankrupt. Just speculation based on their ontario locations being closed.

Their customer service is non existent in the stores.
Their prices is off the roof compared to amazon / newegg

They need to close all the stores, bring back the old location where it was "show the receipt, pick up the item and leave"

and have sales regularly.

Hope they crash and burn, those employees never price match in store, those fucks

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:09 AM   #4
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
If it's worth anything, in Ontario, the competition is tougher. Canada Computers is their major competitor, and their customer experience/service is FAR more superior than NCIX's.

Having said that, I am going to speculate that they failed on the customer service/experience part. They treat their customers like crap, and they do not have optimized processes and/or tools for their employees to serve customers better. Nevermind going to the store to buy something. You still have to go up to a dumb computer, order the damn item, and then line up and wait for your stuff to be ready. No thanks.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-08-2017, 11:12 AM   #5
Need my Daily Fix of RS

i used to work at their warehouse

they like to hire people for their busy season then fire them during probation period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdasco View Post
there isn't any 100% proof that they are bankrupt. Just speculation based on their ontario locations being closed.

Their customer service is non existent in the stores.
Their prices is off the roof compared to amazon / newegg

They need to close all the stores, bring back the old location where it was "show the receipt, pick up the item and leave"

and have sales regularly.

Hope they crash and burn, those employees never price match in store, those fucks
aalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:46 PM   #6
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Used to go to their Kingsway location all the time when I lived in Burnaby.

NCIX used to always have the best prices.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:47 PM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
I think with regards to computer tech items, nothing beats Memory Express imo

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-08-2017, 12:50 PM   #8

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
In tight situations, if the biggest collector served the legal documents, I'm sure bankruptcy would have been the case. For now, there's no proof they are going bankrupt.

Are they going thru a tough time, sure they are, esp. when there are 4 threads with ex employees voicing their concerns.

1) Shedding all real estate... DUH... happens all the time, which is why they closed Toronto. All the "retail" stores are more like pick up locations. Real estate is expensive = close down.
2) Customer Service non-existent, of course...any department with zero or huge revenue generating purposes = laid off.
Think about it. Average ~$60k per employee (salary & benefits) X 50 employees. That's $3 million dollars a year!!!! just for employees... (don't get me started on 3.5% raises per yr on yearly raises for inflation)

as to aalex's comment... errrrr, it's holiday season, like any other retail during Xmas, blakc friday time period at the malls... people get laid off after the rush is over... pretty common practice.... (target, amazon, Best buy, Nordstrom etc)

*not an employee or ex-employee of NCIX
6793026 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:36 PM   #9
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
They shut down there Youtube channel that had over a million subs. Also they seem to be out of a ton of stuff on there website.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:56 PM   #10
Old School RS

Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,202 Posts
The idea of closing stores down in the fall is nuts and is certainly a surefire sign of severe financial stress. December is typically the strongest retail month of the year by a massive margin (hence "black Friday" = the day historically retailers would become profitable for the year) so to struggle through all the quiet season and miss out on the peak holiday business means they have so little cash they can't even stay open.

-Mark
Old 11-08-2017, 03:41 PM   #11
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,795 Times in 1,762 Posts
Something's definately fucked,
I was trying to order some stuff for work on our corporate account, and the response that I got back from our sales rep was that they were undergoing some "restructuring" and that unfortunately it would be 4+ weeks to see my order.

Thanked him for letting me know, but couldn't wait that long. Ordered the stuff from Best Buy, got it in 4 days.

Pretty sad.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:21 PM   #12
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
I only buy from Memory Express now. Never liked Ncix service from recents years.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-08-2017, 06:22 PM   #13
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,819 Times in 3,901 Posts
i wish it was Anitec on Kingsway that survived, and NCIX that sealed its fate

i remember when NCIX weekly sales still meant something...even if they've always included MIR into their price lmao
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-08-2017, 06:53 PM   #14
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I have to agree with everyone. I waited in line for 15 mins wanting to pay for something I had picked off the shelf. Not bad if it wasn't for me being the only customer in the store. 4 sales reps stood there talking in Chinese, talking socially and when they decided to end their conversation, they gave me attitude. I asked them a question about an SSD and he said "I don't know, google it" Enough said.

Memory Express has great customer service and price match anything they have in stock. I would recommend them to anyone.
rsx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:56 PM   #15
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
^Should have asked him to do his fucking job.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:19 PM   #16
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
^Should have asked him to do his fucking job.
There is no need because he will have no job soon
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:13 PM   #17
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
There's no official source, as NCIX is a privately owned company, so their financials are not made public.

However, NCIX does business with many distributors in Canada (basically all of them), and account managers talk to each other, and it's become "common knowledge" that NCIX is severely in debt to the various distributors, dating back to this past summer (I believe June was when it really started to hit the fan). As a result, the distributors are no longer providing NCIX with new stock.

Evidence of this issue is fairly abundant, as NUMEROUS people here, on other forums, and even on NCIX's forums, twitter, facebook, etc have complained about ordering something that should be very easy for NCIX to obtain (eg - Core i7-7700K), and NCIX not communicating with the customer for weeks at a time, ignoring emails, not answering phonecalls, etc.. when the customer threatens a chargeback (which costs NCIX $25, on top of losing the sale), NCIX will contact the customer and claim that the order has been delayed because of a 'stock shortage', even though the customer could go to literally ANY other store and purchase it no problem.

Further evidence of NCIX's imminent demise (at least as a retail storefront operation) is the fact that they have gone through several rounds of layoffs over the past few months, reducing their staff from hundreds before the summer to, from what I can tell, a few staff per location today. They've also closed all of their stores outside of BC except for one in Ontario, and they've attempted to close several stores in BC (but were unable to get out of their leases, so they have kept them open thus far to function as clearance centres). They've also put up for sale their warehouse property.

Exact figures of how much debt NCIX is in, how long they've been in debt, etc, are going to be impossible to find out, because those details are of course confidential and only NCIX (and I guess NCIX's bank) knows exactly how deep they are. I've heard rumours of anything from $2m - $20m+.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:27 PM   #18
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,819 Times in 3,901 Posts
reason: below cost
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:00 PM   #19
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
I was at NCIX on Kingsway on monday and the place looked so sad. One staff sitting on their phone at the counter when we walked in and an otherwise empty store.

21' 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
23' VW MK8 GTI 40th Anniversary
18' Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
21' Ducati Streetfighter V4 S

--
16' Mineral Grey F80 BMW M3 6MT SOLD -11/22
22' Halo Toyota GR86 6MT SOLD -11/22
12' Phantom Black - B8 Audi S4 - SOLD 04/19
07' WDP Acura TL Type-S - A-Spec/ATLP/H&R - SOLD 12/17
18' Matte Silver Ice - Triumph 765 Street Triple RS - SOLD 4/21
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:23 PM   #20

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Exact figures of how much debt NCIX is in, how long they've been in debt, etc, are going to be impossible to find out, because those details are of course confidential and only NCIX (and I guess NCIX's bank) knows exactly how deep they are. I've heard rumours of anything from $2m - $20m+.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
reason: below cost
When one company slips, they lose their purchasing power and it goes down from there. Even if their debts are paid off, the clients won't come back. Really sad. The rumors 2-20 Million is not even close...

The reason it's below cost because vendors provide MAJOR back ends to subsidize the front end. 11+ yrs ago, the biggest check my teammate gave to a local BC company was $400,000 (from 1 vendor).
6793026 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:09 PM   #21
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,852 Times in 888 Posts
They were good back when it was just the one location, but then it was all downhill after.
They were dead to me the moment MemoryExpress showed up.

If you search "How long until NCIX goes belly up? Bankruptcy imminent?" on reddit, there's an ex-employee sharing some info
bobbinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:42 AM   #22
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,647 Times in 2,303 Posts
I heard memory express is owned by the same company or owners as ncix ?

Ncix went downhill for me when they moved their Aberdeen location and switched the retail stores on W Broadway
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:45 AM   #23
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
I also think customer purchasing decision. People still buy gaming PC but not as much as before. PS4, Xbox one, Nintendo Switch, Nintendo classic and of course there are cell phones games and ipads and tablets. Also people just don't care as much as building a custom PC anymore.

I still remember when I was picking up parts for my gaming PC at NCIX 5+ years ago I would see a lot of people lining up asking the sales questions and most of them are just looking for a regular PC that's good enough for general use. I guess back then Best Buy PC were still expensive and the quality of the big brand computer just suck. Over the years price for a regular PC have gone down and the quality of those big brand pre build computer isn't actually too bad. People have also been going to laptops and hybrids(laptops with touchscreen or you can disconnect the keyboard and turn it into a table think microsoft surface) more and more. For those purchase people would rather deal with a big store (IE Best Buy, Apple store because big box store seems to better when it comes to warranty). I know I won't be getting a desktop when the current one broke, I will just get a laptop, I hardly play games and I rather have the option to carry the laptop with me.

Also is their website. NCIX list too many specs. If you look at the ads from Best Buy is very simple and clean just list the basic specs. NCIX list way many details and it really confuse some people. They could just list the more important things and for a more technical customer they could askt he sales rep or list the details elsewhere in the ad.

For small upgrades (RAM, new SSD, new Video card etc etc) customers can easily go online and search for the lowest price and if your price isn't the lowest you aren't going to get that sale. Is so easy to pick the cheapest option and have it ship at no cost. That's one of the issue with NCIX. Their price isn't the cheapest, they charge for shipping, their customer service sucks. So why bother.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2017, 08:10 AM   #24
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
If it's worth anything, in Ontario, the competition is tougher. Canada Computers is their major competitor, and their customer experience/service is FAR more superior than NCIX's.

Having said that, I am going to speculate that they failed on the customer service/experience part. They treat their customers like crap, and they do not have optimized processes and/or tools for their employees to serve customers better. Nevermind going to the store to buy something. You still have to go up to a dumb computer, order the damn item, and then line up and wait for your stuff to be ready. No thanks.
Hell no

It is like comparing a shit and a turd, but canadacomputers definitely have worse customer service than NCIX from my experience. (i live in ON and buy from both regularly)

Their website is shitter and harder to navigate, prices tends to be higher than NCIX, and generally less items on sales and updates.

twice I placed online order for instore pickup from canadacomputers. (They are on my way home, but I do that to lock on a sale price when I dont' have time to go there before sales ends)
One time it took them 4 days to tell me my item is ready (even tho it is in-stock at the store), 2nd time it took them a week to tell me they have no stock at the store, and 3 weeks before they tell me they got the stock transferred from another store.

Last time I tried, they also refused to price match newegg. (They wanted to add shipping cost on, even tho newegg now offers free pickup here in toronto)

All the staffs are pretty apathetic. (Same could be said for most computers store tho)

TBH, I thought NCIX is doing better than canadacomputers here in terms of sales and popularity.
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:54 AM   #25
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
I'm back and forth between Vancouver and Toronto, and the Canada Computers stores I go to have no issues. Most of my colleagues have had good experiences with CC. Just because they have a shittier website (in your opinion) doesn't mean people won't buy from them. At the very least, I can walk in, and walk up and down the aisles and find what I want. Not sure which store you're going to.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote