REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-01-2017, 10:32 AM   #76
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,434 Times in 5,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
I think it's not about the fact of dealership delivering cars with damages but rather the lack of willingness to take responsibility from the dealership.

If the dealership has made clear with full disclosure about the condition of the car as well as actively pursuing ways to solve the discovered problem fair and square, I doubt anyone would have a second thought.

But they are basically asking OP to take a car (and incompetent enough to actually have damage on the second attempt)and not budge. Mind you, this is for something worth 20K+. Heck, if I encounter any problem at a restaurant on a plate worth just $10, the restaurant would replace it with a new dish and even give me discount on it, let alone something that's worth 2000times as much.
Where are you getting this idea from?

They offered him a loaner for a few days while they fix the damage... he won't budge because he doesn't want a car that's had paintwork done on it... but that's actually absurd because, as Berz and others have pointed out already, dealerships fix tonnes of damage on cars before they're delivered and you never ever even know about it... so what difference does it make just because you know about it now?

As far as I'm concerned, the only inconvenience is time wasted while it's at the bodyshop. Does that warrant compensation? Maybe... personally I'd not care as long as it's right when I get it or I'd ask to transfer one in from another dealer... which they did... but that one had damage too... Bad luck.

I have no idea why he didn't just wait a few days for the car to get the repairs made to it. It's not a big deal and it happens all the time without anyone ever knowing about it.
Advertisement
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-01-2017, 10:37 AM   #77
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Just a hypothetical here.... what if.... The dealership caught the damage to the original civic, and repaired it prior to your purchase. They have no obligation to disclose this. You then buy the vehicle, repaired from dealership, and go on and live a long happy life with your new civic.

No different than letting them fix the damage after you purchased it. Either way it was a fix up. You think they are going to declare to the next person they fixed the scratches? You think the next person will even know?

Berz out.
This can likely be possible as well.

I just took delivery of a 2018 Honda Civic LX at Richmond Honda and I am in the car industry myself. Not defending them but I did see a scratch on the car when I took delivery, however I knew these things happen since these cars pass through many hands. If it's minor I would want it fixed but none more since I would probably get another scratch elsewhere down the road.

Good luck and I hope it gets resolved in the end.
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:46 AM   #78
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
I think it's not about the fact of dealership delivering cars with damages but rather the lack of willingness to take responsibility from the dealership.
how's the dealership not taking responsibility?

1. client notices issues
2. client notifies dealership
3. dealership offers fix while providing loaner car
4. client denies
5. dealership wants to make client happy, offers a brand new one with identical specs/options with a 2-3 lead time
6. client still would not budge

I'm super anal OCD and have been down that rabbit hole...with many cases similar to OP's

got a nice TV with dead pixels, said I will not take any defects with a flagship product. Samsung said few dead pixels (which wasn't even noticable at my viewing dsitance) is not grounds for warranty. dozens of phone calls, e-mails, even made noise to their CEO and finally we got a on-site warranty on the way. The second panel had dirty screen door effect. Am I supposed to tell the repair guys to come back with a 3rd panel?

I've learned to just live without 100% perfection...inanimated object or otherwise...not worth stressing out over. I encourage OP to do the same, with the exception if that this is a car that he's 'gifting to his parents for retirement or sthing equally sentimental.
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2017, 11:55 AM   #79
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,815 Times in 341 Posts
What if the civic is a lease vehicle? They will get charged for those scratches when they return the car. This is unacceptable for a brand new car.

2018 Golf R MK7.5 (Daily)
2001 S2000 (Weekend Warrior)
1991 Merc 300 TE-24 AMG Estate - Sold
2005 STi - Sold
1987 AE86 GTS - Sold
1986 AE86 GTS - Sold
gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-01-2017, 12:28 PM   #80
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
If the tables were turned and you were selling your car to the dealership with undeclared repairs. I'm sure most of the people here will have no problem telling the dealer that the car's never been in an accident.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 02:29 PM   #81
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
So many fails in this thread. It's like a twisted pantie convention. This city becomes a whiny little bitch fest come December 1st.

I still side with the OP though.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2017, 03:48 PM   #82
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
So many fails in this thread. It's like a twisted pantie convention. This city becomes a whiny little bitch fest come December 1st.

I still side with the OP though.
You're just a grumpy old man, unable to cope with being around a bunch of young 'uns.

Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2017, 04:25 PM   #83
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
I'm sorry. Car's are expensive. If the dealership want's to fix the damaged vehicle before I own it and I don't notice discolouration between panels. So be it. But if I spend 30k+ on a new vehicle and see damage. I'm expecting a new vehicle, not an open box item on the discount shelf at future shop.

Maybe it's because i've personally never bought a new vehicle, but I went through the whole process with my fiancé. I went over the vehicle and saw a few specs on the paint. By the time she signed the paper work, those specs were gone and it was as new. A new paint job is not new. It will never be the same as it was at the factory.

BTW, the second vehicle damage looks like damage early on. I'd assume a rub like that could only happen when the paint was still quite soft. Pre-PDI

Last edited by hud 91gt; 12-01-2017 at 04:31 PM.
hud 91gt is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2017, 07:18 PM   #84
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
I don't think anyone's disagreeing with OP here. He bought a new car, so he should receive a car in new car condition. Im sure we all understand that part. There were defects/damage on his car, therefore the dealer promised to fix it at no charge along with providing a loaner vehicle so the customer would have transportation before the car comes back in perfect condition. The inconvenience? Maybe having to drive to the dealer twice. Big deal.

Yet OP and everyone here thinks that's completely outrageous and the dealer might as well be giving them a used unit.

21' 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
23' VW MK8 GTI 40th Anniversary
18' Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
21' Ducati Streetfighter V4 S

--
16' Mineral Grey F80 BMW M3 6MT SOLD -11/22
22' Halo Toyota GR86 6MT SOLD -11/22
12' Phantom Black - B8 Audi S4 - SOLD 04/19
07' WDP Acura TL Type-S - A-Spec/ATLP/H&R - SOLD 12/17
18' Matte Silver Ice - Triumph 765 Street Triple RS - SOLD 4/21
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:47 PM   #85
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,309 Posts
Things I have learned from reading this thread:

1. Don't buy a new car. Ever.
2. hypa is getting shit on. (Ouch.)
3. Probably one of the most dramatic threads for 2017. It's been a pretty dull year on RS.
4. Make me mod again.

To the OP - good luck on whatever the outcome may be.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2017, 08:02 PM   #86

reading a thread on Friday night about some scratches on a Civic that has gone 4 pages
This post thanked by:
Old 12-05-2017, 12:47 PM   #87
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Ch28,

Any update?

Hopefully it's all getting resolved to your family's satisfaction
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:10 PM   #88
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Things I have learned from reading this thread:

1. Don't buy a new car. Ever.
2. hypa is getting shit on. (Ouch.)
3. Probably one of the most dramatic threads for 2017. It's been a pretty dull year on RS.
4. Make me mod again.

To the OP - good luck on whatever the outcome may be.

Don’t cry for me, Argentina. Besides,it’s nothing more than the angry ramblings of a bunch of snowflake millennials who miss their mommies.

Except Lomac, he’s awesome.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:47 PM   #89
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

better question which car that comes off of the boat doesn't get a form of repair... should ask to see the PDI work too when it went thru service. Damaged wheel bearing scratched wheels, sidewalls gauged? the list goes on.

Regardless of how new your car is and how expensive it'll always be the same.

Be it a Civic or a RR Wraith.

And that matters is how the dealership takes care of it prior to delivery or after with the customer.
About kkthind: [22-12, 22:55] ts14 hes so white that if he was a cop, he would beat ts14 for beinng surrey
kross9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:45 PM   #90
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Just ask for the new brand car, problem solved. Make sure odo is under 100km. If you are picky I would say under 50km
conandoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-05-2017, 09:12 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by conandoyle View Post
Just ask for the new brand car, problem solved. Make sure odo is under 100km. If you are picky I would say under 50km
did you read anything past the first post?
This post thanked by:
Old 12-05-2017, 10:15 PM   #92
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
did you read anything past the first post?
Yep, he got another damaged car for replacement.

He can
1. Request another brand new civic until its brand new without any damage.
2. Take all the deposit back and try another dealer
3. Make a complaint to The Vehicle Sales Authority of BC

If it's me, I will skip the 1 step, and do 2 and 3.
conandoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-06-2017, 03:58 PM   #93
HELP ME PLS!!!

LOL, I don't think you did read the whole thread.

The dealer is refusing a refund because they signed papers already.

Still waiting on a opdate though.

I can see a third replacement car being ordered. Although, dealerships give discounts for damages to their cars, it's not unheard of.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:07 PM   #94
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,327 Times in 5,643 Posts
a buddy of mine that just bought a brand new 4 runner said Toyota laid out the whole situation of getting a refund for him up to 30 days after taking possession on the vehicle, virtually regardless of the scenario..

not sure if it was just a smoke screen or what but not getting the money back right away after that first discussion really puts the dealer in bad light imo
Old 12-06-2017, 05:24 PM   #95
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
My parents ended up going back to the original car with the scratches and hood dent. They already fixed the hood dent when we went back the next day, and it looked perfectly fine with no marks left on it. Parents decided that they could wait for another car, because the replacement car was obviously scratched the fuck up, but it wouldn't guarantee that they'd get one without defects. I laid out the pros and cons of the situation and they just decided that it wasn't worth the hassle.

The dealership agreed to fix the scratches, provide a courtesy car while it's in the shop, lifetime oil change for $470 (down from $799), an additional tank of gas when the first tank goes empty, and 2 more of the Honda wash kits.

We understand that shit happens, but it's how you deal with it that really determines whether you're instilling confidence with us. Had the replacement car been brand new like it was agreed upon then it would've cost them less money. It was really how the financial business manager went back on his word 15-20 minutes after telling us that he'd be able to get us a refund that really fucking pissed us off. I'm sure that most, if not all, of you would feel the same if you were in our shoes.

I have to admit that our salesman, Travis, did a great job at correcting the situation given that he's only a salesman. There's only so much you can do when you have to ask your superiors to help 'fix' the situation that was no fault of yours.

Was our car buying experience enjoyable? Fuck no.
Could they have treated us without lying (business manager)? Absolutely.
Are we glad that we finally got our car and got this over and done with? Definitely.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:54 PM   #96

$500 up front for oil changes...wow
at least it sounds like your parents will keep it for good
Old 12-07-2017, 01:37 AM   #97
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
$500 up front for oil changes...wow
at least it sounds like your parents will keep it for good
They never cared to look for an honest mechanic (heard too many horror stories of bad mechanics) so they always bring the car back to the dealership. The lifetime oil changes will pay itself off in a few years, so they decided to go for it.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:28 AM   #98
Boost Lee

Sounds like the scratches and dent were easily removed on the original car. Happy to hear that the salesman and dealership stepped up for the inconvenience and BS in the new car buying experience. I still think they could have done better by giving your parents a few free services but what is done is done.

Most business office managers are crooks especially with upselling add ons when signing the paperwork (ie: extended warranty pricing, rust protection, etc.)
1BADMR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:40 AM   #99
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,915 Times in 3,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
They never cared to look for an honest mechanic (heard too many horror stories of bad mechanics) so they always bring the car back to the dealership. The lifetime oil changes will pay itself off in a few years, so they decided to go for it.
Most of the horror stories of bad mechanics that I've heard/dealt with myself are from dealerships. I wouldn't let a dealership touch my vehicle unless absolutely necessary, but then again I don't own anything with a warranty I have to worry about being voided by a sleazy dealer.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:48 PM   #100
RS controls my life!

you have no idea how many "brand new" cars I fix daily that has paint and dent damage straight from factory and off the transport trucks. Some dealerships care to check them and repair them before selling. These are bmw M cars, porches, mercedes, and other high end models in the $100-$200k plus bracket. They hide it all from the consumer unless you catch them and if you know what you're looking for... only Some have a keen eye on these things

In the end, its your hard earned money, doesnt matter if its a civic. Shoulda walked out until they at least fix it or get you something else. They dyin for sales in the winter and will do anything