REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Humboldt Broncos (https://www.revscene.net/forums/714585-humboldt-broncos.html)

MG1 04-08-2018 10:26 PM

Humboldt Broncos

Not sure if there is a thread about the incident on RS. So sad and tragic. Anytime death of young adults are involved, it hits everybody hard.

I feel for the families and the community.

What's disturbing, is it happened before.

Just looking at the images of the accident makes you wonder how something like this can even take place.

Rest in Peace. Namo Amida Butsu.

twitchyzero 04-09-2018 08:57 AM

was surprised to learn another sask junior hockey team also named Broncos had a fatal bus crash in the 80s :fulloffuck:

https://globalnews.ca/news/4131324/h...current-crash/

SumAznGuy 04-09-2018 09:06 AM

https://ca.gofundme.com/funds-for-humboldt-broncos

murd0c 04-09-2018 09:31 AM

I haven't said much about this but I'm actually very shaken up, I traveled this way playing hockey in my youth and I so feel for the family's and everyone involved.

I don't fucken understand how they have not said what actually happened yet, the truck driver is OK he knows what happened and I'm livid it hasn't been announced yet.

twitchyzero 04-09-2018 09:43 AM

does that matter though...it wont bring back the 15 from the dead nor can some walk again...the authorities already detained the truck driver but released him

this crossing is a known fatal collision point...I hope they can do enough to prevent further accidents

and anytime I see these type of news I wonder why buses still don't enforce seat belts like airplanes

nah 04-09-2018 09:27 PM

From the pictures, someone had a stop sign and they obviously blew past it. It happened at 5 PM on a Friday, so it was still light out.

nah 04-09-2018 09:30 PM

From Chris Joseph, former NHL player and his son Jaxon passed...

Joseph said he had been to the funeral home twice to see Jaxon’s body since the collision between a semi truck and the team’s bus south of Nipawin, Sask., on Friday night.

“I kissed him and told him, ‘We’re so proud. We’re so proud,” he said. “He’s just a good kid. Everybody really just loved him.”

:QQ:

whitev70r 04-09-2018 09:40 PM

From what I read, the bus had the clear right of way, going Northbound. The truck, going westbound, had the stop sign.

From Globe and Mail:
The intersection: Dubbed the Armley Corner, the intersection has been the site of a deadly collision before: In the summer of 1997, a couple, their three young daughters and a relative were killed in a crash there. When the Broncos bus passed through the intersection northbound on Hwy. 35, it would have had the right of way; the semi trailer, heading west, would have had a stop sign.

hud 91gt 04-09-2018 10:11 PM

Very tragic incident. This is clearly on a different level but when I lived out that it seemed every winter there was some sort of accident with a team travelling across the prairies. They cover a lot of miles. I haven’t even bothered to read details as I don’t want to put myself in that place. Pretty sobering.

welfare 04-09-2018 10:37 PM

After Humboldt bus crash victim and survivor misidentified, Parker Tobin and Xavier Labelle?s families ?grieving together? | Saskatoon StarPhoenix

Quote:

Two Broncos players — one who survived Friday’s bus crash and one who died — were incorrectly identified by family and the provincial coroner as the other. Xavier Labelle, an 18-year-old from Saskatoon, was initially identified as one of the players killed in the crash. Labelle is alive. Parker Tobin, an 18-year-old from Stony Plain, Alberta, has now been identified as one of the 15 who died.

SumAznGuy 04-10-2018 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitev70r (Post 8897441)
From what I read, the bus had the clear right of way, going Northbound. The truck, going westbound, had the stop sign.

From Globe and Mail:
The intersection: Dubbed the Armley Corner, the intersection has been the site of a deadly collision before: In the summer of 1997, a couple, their three young daughters and a relative were killed in a crash there. When the Broncos bus passed through the intersection northbound on Hwy. 35, it would have had the right of way; the semi trailer, heading west, would have had a stop sign.

Humboldt Broncos bus crash: What the photos show about the point of impact | National Post

They have more pictures in this article.
From my guess, the bus hit the trailer hence why the cab of the big rig had no damage but you can see the trailer is kinda twisted.

whitev70r 04-10-2018 06:24 AM

The GoFundMe is past $7M, 5th largest campaign so far. On the one hand, that's amazing. On the other, hope that this doesn't become a point of conflict between the families. Won't be easy to administer it fairly.

GabAlmighty 04-10-2018 06:39 AM

Just split it up even among all the players/staff on the bus. That's the only logical way to do it in my opinion. You start weighing things as worth more and it will get ugly. Some kids passed away, and others will never walk or play hockey again... Not sure which is worse.

But I agree and am scared that it becomes a giant legal fuck show.

whitev70r 04-10-2018 06:55 AM

Intuition say that the ones who were 'breadwinners' in the family should be given some more consideration, like the coach.

MG1 04-10-2018 11:30 AM

Maybe spend some of the money on fixing or improving the intersection?

Set up memorial?

I somewhat agree with the breadwinner suggestion, though.

underscore 04-10-2018 11:43 AM

$7M just in GFM donations? Plus the donations from other sources (I recall seeing some NHL teams were donating quite a bit?) and then any automotive or life insurance on top of that and that seems a bit crazy. It's great to help people out but it's a bit strange when one particular incident has a mountain of money thrown at it out of the thousands that occur all the time. I don't mean to sound like a jerk but what makes this worse than all the other tragedies? Is it because this is the current big "thing" and everyone wants to show off by "helping"?

ScizzMoney 04-10-2018 12:04 PM

Any statistics on people who weren't wearing seatbelts? When I played Junior Baseball we travelled by bus every weekend that we had away games and a lot of us didn't wear seatbelts so I assume not many of these kids did either.

MG1 04-10-2018 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8897507)
$7M just in GFM donations? Plus the donations from other sources (I recall seeing some NHL teams were donating quite a bit?) and then any automotive or life insurance on top of that and that seems a bit crazy. It's great to help people out but it's a bit strange when one particular incident has a mountain of money thrown at it out of the thousands that occur all the time. I don't mean to sound like a jerk but what makes this worse than all the other tragedies? Is it because this is the current big "thing" and everyone wants to show off by "helping"?

I believe it is because it hits home for a lot of Canadians.

It could have easily been them or their children, grandchildren, nephews, you name it. Sure there are lots of tragedies around the world, but sometimes, when it's your own backyard............... nuff said.

They tore down some gas station that used to be there at the intersection. This intersection is notorious.............. well, for fuck's sake, do something about it. Build an overpass, put up lights, rumble strips, speed bumps, round about, warning signs, whatever. Instead of protesting against pipelines and gender whatever they protest against these days, protest until something is done with that intersection from hell.

SumAznGuy 04-10-2018 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8897507)

Flavor of the month.
Same thing happened when the tsunami hit asia in 2004.
A lot of money was donated to asia, but locally, Christmas time donations were down.

whitev70r 04-10-2018 12:41 PM

No need to use donated funds to fix intersection. That's Provincial gov't responsibility.

68style 04-10-2018 12:46 PM

^
I agree with underscore... I'm creeped out by people on the internet wanting to feel "included" in tragedies that had nothing to do with them and didn't involve anyone they know. Putting sticks on your porch? Changing your Facebook profile picture with an overlay? All these things do nothing, it won't bring anyone back to life and who are you showing support to? Feels like just another way to show off because you can take a photo showing you also did it and put it on Instagram or FB for some likes... feels like you're trying to "belong" to something, kind of like a religion.

It's strange in today's world how much time and effort people will spend on events occurring in other people's lives, sitting on their phones pouring over articles on Humboldt and reading comments and visiting websites to buy a t-shirt or get involved in some kind of movement so they can be a part of the tragedy, meanwhile someone actually in their life -- ie: their own child or husband or wife is sitting there unloved and unattended. Time for everyone else, no time for the ones closest to you. This is the hallmark of the online/smart phone generation.

It's also bizarre how the internet transcends laws in every part of the world. Want to shame someone you think is guilty of a crime before the law can punish them? Internet. Want to put a restaurant out of business or revenge against someone when you have no legal process? Internet. Want to irrationally award massive sums of money to victims of a random tragedy when there's already a mechanism in place to sue through insurance and civil action? Internet. People lose kids in their lives all the time, many in ways even more tragic than this, it's super sad... but it's part of life... what makes these particular people so special that they get a bonus $1 million (or whatever) a piece for it? So weird, I'd almost feel dirty taking the money if it was my kid that had died.

Manic! 04-10-2018 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScizzMoney (Post 8897512)
Any statistics on people who weren't wearing seatbelts? When I played Junior Baseball we travelled by bus every weekend that we had away games and a lot of us didn't wear seatbelts so I assume not many of these kids did either.

Buses usually don't have seat belts.

noclue 04-10-2018 01:11 PM

While tragic, a few days after 27 people died in India after their bus fell off a cliff. Yet no one cares cause it's in a 3rd world country.

freakshow 04-10-2018 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SumAznGuy (Post 8897460)
From my guess, the bus hit the trailer hence why the cab of the big rig had no damage but you can see the trailer is kinda twisted.

Based on the pictures, this definitely looks to be the case.. the bus must have went straight into the trailer.

Would the driver/charter company get charged/sued in an event like this? (assuming the bus was at fault)

murd0c 04-10-2018 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noclue (Post 8897527)
While tragic, a few days after 27 people died in India after their bus fell off a cliff. Yet no one cares cause it's in a 3rd world country.

You honestly can't even compare the two, yes its sad as well no questions but the circumstances are completely different.