REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2018, 11:55 AM   #26
Need to Shave n Shower, but I CANT STOP POSTING ON RS
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 17,687
Thanked 6,244 Times in 2,632 Posts
why? Obama won it for simply replacing W. Bush in office

we could finally see an end to one of the longest military flashpoints in the Pacific that's lasted generations

now if we could get China to stop pointing thousands of missiles at Taiwan that'd be nice
Advertisement
__________________
My BST Feedback
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2018, 12:06 PM   #27
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
Traum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Paradise, BC
Posts: 3,651
Thanked 2,790 Times in 1,247 Posts
I would be disgusted because Kim is a guy that brutally executed his uncle with some sort of large caliber canon; a guy that ordered the poisoning murder of his brother; a guy that runs a regime who regularly brutalize its citizens and foreign nationals. For someone like that to win a peace prize, I think it is a mockery of the prize itself.

China is another basket case that I have no hopes for.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2018, 01:03 PM   #28
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!
 
hud 91gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 6,872
Thanked 2,254 Times in 892 Posts
I spotted rodman in the airport enroute to North Korea during his big news stint.... you think that man stands out in North America. You should see him in a sea of Asians. Ha
__________________
Crush - 1971 Datsun 240z - Build Thread
The Daily - A Boring Honda
hud 91gt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 01:07 PM   #29
Performance Moderator
 
68style's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Richmond
Posts: 7,570
Thanked 4,604 Times in 1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I would be disgusted because Kim is a guy that brutally executed his uncle with some sort of large caliber canon; a guy that ordered the poisoning murder of his brother; a guy that runs a regime who regularly brutalize its citizens and foreign nationals. For someone like that to win a peace prize, I think it is a mockery of the prize itself.

China is another basket case that I have no hopes for.

I tend to agree, but think of how many tens of thousands of people die every year a the hands of the USA for their version of democracy?

Nobody has more innocent people's blood on their hands in the last hundred years than the USA but somehow they're the world savior. Even the Japan nukes at the end of WW2 were unnecessary and poorly targeted... 200,000 innocent citizens lost their lives in the blink of an eye........... yet USA is always the country that polices everyone else and decides what is right and wrong for the rest of the world from both a moral and political perspective. It's an interesting and complicated planet this. Much hypocrisy.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2018, 01:09 PM   #30
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
Traum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Paradise, BC
Posts: 3,651
Thanked 2,790 Times in 1,247 Posts
I certainly see where you're coming from, 68style. And I 100% agree that US is no world saviour. Anyone who thinks the US is a saint is grossly misinformed.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 01:19 PM   #31
I subscribe to Revscene
 
iwantaskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: somewhere in bc
Posts: 1,988
Thanked 717 Times in 286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I tend to agree, but think of how many tens of thousands of people die every year a the hands of the USA for their version of democracy?

Nobody has more innocent people's blood on their hands in the last hundred years than the USA but somehow they're the world savior. Even the Japan nukes at the end of WW2 were unnecessary and poorly targeted... 200,000 innocent citizens lost their lives in the blink of an eye........... yet USA is always the country that polices everyone else and decides what is right and wrong for the rest of the world from both a moral and political perspective. It's an interesting and complicated planet this. Much hypocrisy.
Nukes during WW2 were neccessary -- the Japanese would not have surrendered due to their samurai culture. A land invasion of Japan would have costed both sides much more casualties.

Your point stands however because since WW2 they have started countless pointless wars that have killed hundreds of thousands. The Vietnam war being the biggest tragedy.
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2018, 01:44 PM   #32
Need to Shave n Shower, but I CANT STOP POSTING ON RS
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 17,687
Thanked 6,244 Times in 2,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
And South Koreans can visit NK to see what OEM Korean girls look like
was just gonna say, at least we'll see what Koreans look-like without all the plastic surgery

__________________
My BST Feedback

Last edited by twitchyzero; 04-27-2018 at 01:50 PM.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 01:51 PM   #33
linguistic ninja
 
CivicBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 14,269
Thanked 1,351 Times in 436 Posts
Whatever your opinion about the US is the fact of the matter is that 90% of the planet has now bought into their version of a liberal-democratic capitalist world order. Those countries that step out of that line ('Rogue Nations', if I may borrow the term) will be vilified to no end until they fall back in line (i.e. Open up, collapse, or be invaded).

I'm talking North Korea, Iran, Syria, Cuba, Iraq under Saddam, etc
__________________
http://www.en.wikipedia.org

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 01:53 PM   #34
linguistic ninja
 
CivicBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 14,269
Thanked 1,351 Times in 436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
was just gonna say, at least we'll see what Koreans look-like without all the plastic surgery


__________________
http://www.en.wikipedia.org

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2018, 01:57 PM   #35
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
yray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: PENIS
Posts: 3,257
Thanked 3,196 Times in 945 Posts
^jokes on you, thats the real army



inb4 head scissoring
__________________
There's a phallic symbol infront of my car

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 03:24 PM   #36
Cant Stop Modding Fat Cars w/ Cheap Pasts!
 
StylinRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CELICAland
Posts: 23,031
Thanked 9,223 Times in 3,290 Posts
Maybe he was assassinating all those people because they stood in the way of his plans for peace?

Or this is just a ruse
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 03:28 PM   #37
Cant Stop Modding Fat Cars w/ Cheap Pasts!
 
StylinRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CELICAland
Posts: 23,031
Thanked 9,223 Times in 3,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
Nukes during WW2 were neccessary -- the Japanese would not have surrendered due to their samurai culture. A land invasion of Japan would have costed both sides much more casualties.

Your point stands however because since WW2 they have started countless pointless wars that have killed hundreds of thousands. The Vietnam war being the biggest tragedy.
One nuke maybe, but two? Or one nuke flattening a nearby island instead... Or a combination.. But two onto populated cities eh... 🤔
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:23 PM   #38
I have named my kids VIC and VLS
 
Hondaracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Off-Topic
Posts: 28,704
Thanked 8,275 Times in 2,927 Posts
Well they didn’t surrender after the first so it was seemingly the right decision.

Also they only had the two, it would have taken months to make a third, an island as a show of force wasn’t an option
__________________
Dank memes cant melt steel beams
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 05:29 PM   #39
Need to Seek Professional Help
 
Eastwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Victoria
Posts: 1,021
Thanked 435 Times in 91 Posts
I can't wait for Kim to go missing once he hands over the country and gets given amnesty in SK.
Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:22 PM   #40
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 42,892
Thanked 18,170 Times in 5,549 Posts


SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2018, 06:25 PM   #41
Performance Moderator
 
68style's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Richmond
Posts: 7,570
Thanked 4,604 Times in 1,320 Posts
Interesting that in Japanese schools they are taught that Japan had no intent on surrendering to the USA because of nuclear bombs, they claim they surrendered because of the Russians declaring war on them and ending that treaty.

True? Who knows...
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:40 PM   #42
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 42,892
Thanked 18,170 Times in 5,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Interesting that in Japanese schools they are taught that Japan had no intent on surrendering to the USA because of nuclear bombs, they claim they surrendered because of the Russians declaring war on them and ending that treaty.

True? Who knows...
You must be aware of "losing face" living in Richmond, right?

Yeah, that
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:53 PM   #43
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
welfare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: van
Posts: 2,992
Thanked 401 Times in 247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I tend to agree, but think of how many tens of thousands of people die every year a the hands of the USA for their version of democracy?

Nobody has more innocent people's blood on their hands in the last hundred years than the USA but somehow they're the world savior. Even the Japan nukes at the end of WW2 were unnecessary and poorly targeted... 200,000 innocent citizens lost their lives in the blink of an eye........... yet USA is always the country that polices everyone else and decides what is right and wrong for the rest of the world from both a moral and political perspective. It's an interesting and complicated planet this. Much hypocrisy.
What about these guys though?
Top Ten Most Evil Dictators of All Time (in order of kill count) ? Popten
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie P View Post
I am an atheist still, thank God.
-the richest ones are not those who have the most, but those who need the least
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:23 PM   #44
MiX iT Up!
 
tiger_handheld's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: vancouver
Posts: 7,835
Thanked 1,950 Times in 797 Posts
after all this, do guys think KJU ever feel like a plastic bag, drifting in the wind...
__________________

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.


Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2018, 10:32 PM   #45
what manner of phaggotry is this
 
RRxtar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Kelownafornia
Posts: 18,110
Thanked 5,111 Times in 1,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
Nukes during WW2 were neccessary -- the Japanese would not have surrendered due to their samurai culture. A land invasion of Japan would have costed both sides much more casualties.

Your point stands however because since WW2 they have started countless pointless wars that have killed hundreds of thousands. The Vietnam war being the biggest tragedy.
There are an estimated 50 million civilian casualties of ww2. In 5 years. The war needed to end. Sacrificing 200,000 was brutal but it was the message necessary to send to make Japan step down. Ww2 was horrific beyond belief and couldn't continue. None of the nations involved could sustaon it. China had 10-15 million civilians die directly at the hands of the Japanese.

I really dont think any of us can wrap our heads around something like that.
__________________
STRENGTHaesthetics
RRxtar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:34 PM   #46
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: vancouver
Posts: 1,769
Thanked 257 Times in 96 Posts
danned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:52 PM   #47
I subscribe to Revscene
 
iwantaskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: somewhere in bc
Posts: 1,988
Thanked 717 Times in 286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
One nuke maybe, but two? Or one nuke flattening a nearby island instead... Or a combination.. But two onto populated cities eh... 🤔
It's definitely debatable whether the 2nd one was necessary or not. The reasoning for dropping the 2nd was to show them they had more than one and also a demonstration to the Soviets what kind of power they possessed.

Also, both nukes were detonated very high up in the air which is why people were able to live in those cities again relatively shortly.
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 12:30 AM   #48
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 42,892
Thanked 18,170 Times in 5,549 Posts

The tweet that called Kim's bluff and lead to peace in Asia
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-28-2018, 12:50 AM   #49
Need to Shave n Shower, but I CANT STOP POSTING ON RS
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 17,687
Thanked 6,244 Times in 2,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
There are an estimated 50 million civilian casualties of ww2. In 5 years. The war needed to end. Sacrificing 200,000 was brutal but it was the message necessary to send to make Japan step down. Ww2 was horrific beyond belief and couldn't continue. None of the nations involved could sustaon it. China had 10-15 million civilians die directly at the hands of the Japanese.

I really dont think any of us can wrap our heads around something like that.
the war in Europe had already ended
the Pacific Theatre did contribute to 36M deaths total
don't forget the lasting effects into future generation from the radiation

I think in retrospect executing more than one atomic is very unfortuate, but at the time I think they made the right judgement...WWII had to be swiftly concluded after the Japanese ignored the Potsdam ultimatum
__________________
My BST Feedback
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:12 AM   #50
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
will068's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: van
Posts: 3,366
Thanked 463 Times in 195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
Nukes during WW2 were neccessary -- the Japanese would not have surrendered due to their samurai culture. A land invasion of Japan would have costed both sides much more casualties.

Your point stands however because since WW2 they have started countless pointless wars that have killed hundreds of thousands. The Vietnam war being the biggest tragedy.
Agreed. Imperial Japan was like Nazi Germany.

The nuke was a necessity or else they would have never given up. Plus, with the atrocities it had deployed during WWII, Imperial Japan definitely deserved it.
__________________
RS Buy&Sell Rating
will068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net