REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:35 AM   #1
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
Shooting in Texas

8 to 10 dead in a school. Rest In Peace

=================================

On a side note......... Beat Manic to it, lol. My life on RS is now complete, gulolol.
Advertisement
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 05-18-2018 at 08:56 AM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:48 AM   #2
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Dammit. This happened not far from me down in the town of Santa Fe. Its about 50km from downtown Houston and about 30km from Galveston. I'm personally about 20 mins away from where this happened. Apparently the shooter had a shotgun, not a rifle or a pistol. Explosives were also found in a trailer nearby. A second person was arrested.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/lo.../285-553331098

Its a small, unremarkable place and is mainly a bedroom community for Houston and Galveston because of the cheap cost of living and relative safety compared to some of the more dangerous areas closer to the city. Its the kind of place, as with Columbine, CO or Taber, AB where you wouldn't think this kind of stuff would happen.

I'm sitting here in my cube and I've overheard that one of my coworker may personally know someone who was injured, but I'm not gonna speak to that. I live and work in the south part of the city (next to NASA's Johnson Space Centre) so I've got coworkers who drive in from down there.

Oh, and fuck this guy -

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8358276.html
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2018, 08:53 AM   #3
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Their plan of doing absolutely nothing is really working well for the Americans at preventing these shootings.

Thoughts and prayers for the victims.

Aw fuck who am I kidding, I'm not going to pray for them and the more this happens the less and less I even think about them.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2018, 08:53 AM   #4
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
Dammit. This happened not far from me down in the town of Santa Fe. Its about 50km from downtown Houston and about 30km from Galveston. I'm personally about 20 mins away from where this happened.
I'm sitting here in my cube and I've overheard that one of my coworker may personally know someone who was injured, but I'm not gonna speak to that. I live and work in the south part of the city (next to NASA's Johnson Space Centre) so I've got coworkers who drive in from down there.
Thank god you're still alive in that gun slinging, yahoo part of the country.

Every time I hear of gun violence or natural disasters in that part of the world, I worry, man.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:56 AM   #5
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Dam you isas just about to post it. Texas has some of the most lax gun laws in the states.

https://www.gunstocarry.com/gun-laws...exas-gun-laws/
https://www.durysguns.com/news/basic...-for-beginners

We already have the my heart goes out and thoughs and prayers tweets being posted by politicians.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Thank god you're still alive in that gun slinging, yahoo part of the country.

Every time I hear of gun violence or natural disasters in that part of the world, I worry, man.
I know you and I know that is not just an empty platitude. I know you genuinely mean it and from the bottom of my heart, I thank you. I'm getting married next weekend and we're in the process of buying a house, so now I have to start thinking a little more responsibly. Just know that I've always got an escape route for hurricanes and I've developed more of a taste for pacifism because I never know who is willing to draw down on me (or fling poo) because I called them out for budging in line at the donut shop. This is a crazy part of the globe, but I'm doing my best to avoid all of that crazy.

To address the bigger issue -

I'm the furthest thing in the world from an apologist for gun rights and gun violence. When I arrived in Texas, in order to understand the culture a little better, I spent a little money and joined the NRA. I then received their magazine and expected information detailing their advocacy and articles on responsible ownership. Instead I had month after month of "us versus them" bullshit being delivered to my mailbox with fear mongering articles detailing the Obama (who was president at the time) administration's plan to march into YOUR HOMES and take YOUR GUNS. I couldn't continue and I let my membership lapse with no intention to continue.

The NRA was reportedly started to "promote and encourage rifle shooting on a scientific basis", but has grown to become something far bigger and beastlier than that. They want a gun in every waist band, belt loop, back pocket, purse, handbag, stroller, diaper, and banana hammock in the Union.

They didn't put the gun in the hands of the shooter. They didn't put the idea in his head. They did, however, advocate for the infrastructure that allowed them to get access to an armory of weapons.

I'm a gun owner. I don't think banning all guns is realistic because of the fear-mongering advocacy on behalf of special interest groups like the NRA. I'm not even sure that making sales more difficult will prevent these things from happening. The problem is with the people who are getting these guns.

I've got a carry permit that allows me to walk around with one hidden on my person, or hanging off of my body. I could walk into a grocery store, a tire shop, an Ikea, and even a damn donut shop proudly or privately packing heat. But most gun owners, like myself, don't do that because they'll look like a proper twat (like the guy in the video I linked) and they want to avoid the stigma of looking like a twat. Furthermore, most folks who feel the need to carry because of safety issues will actively seek to avoid these unsafe situations because they know the legal ramifications that come with every pull of the trigger. They own every bullet that comes out of the end of the chamber and exactly where it goes.
To make it Revscene-relevant: Its kind of like the owner of a tastefully modded Integra sporting a bulletproof B-series under the hood not wanting to be associated with the idiot with the eBay-kitted Del Sol with drum brakes. Its tacky, man. Have some self respect.

Yes, there are failures to those who try to act responsibly, but those are fewer and far in between than those who simply surrender their wallet or cellphone because its easier than hoping you're quicker to the draw than the other guy. I'd rather have to waste an hour calling the folks at Discover to cancel my car than to pray I had one in the chamber because some meth head needs his next fix and hes gonna use my money to get it.

Gun ownership in America is permanent, but the real solution is taking mental health seriously. It needs to start from the ground up and needs to be applied consistently. The Virginia Tech shooting could have been prevented if they took the gunman's issues seriously. Sandy Hook's tragedy can basically be a case study in "what we could have done better". Hell, even the Parkland shooter was a suspect for such a crime before he even picked up a gun.

While I've been writing this, the media has released the shooter's name and scoured his Facebook page for details. He reportedly has a "Born to Kill" t-shirt a smattering of Nazi relics. I'm willing to bet that the signs were there with this kid.

I remember stupid and silly cartoons as a kid where there was a "crazy" character who acted strangely and was the butt of the joke. I've been binge watching New Girl in the background while I'm packing up my apartment, and the character "Outside Dave" is a lovable nut who sends cupcakes through phone calls by mashing them into the receiver and helps ladybugs give birth in the alley in which he lives. Where are the hilarious characters with HIV? How about the wacky carcinoma characters? Why aren't we laughing as hard at the woman dealing with PCOS as we are at the vet with PTSD afraid of a few silly fireworks? Why do we have the double standard?

Guns are a problem, but they're an unavoidable permanence in North America. It is mental illness that we can, and should treat.
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:49 AM   #7

Reportedly the shooter.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:56 AM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

According to news reports a teacher pulled a fire alarm hoping to alert students and teachers...That just causes mayhem and easy targets for the shooter.

What all American schools need is a shooter alarm next to their fire alarms as crazy as that sounds.
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:57 AM   #9
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
Its a small, unremarkable place and is mainly a bedroom community for Houston and Galveston because of the cheap cost of living and relative safety compared to some of the more dangerous areas closer to the city. Its the kind of place, as with Columbine, CO or Taber, AB where you wouldn't think this kind of stuff would happen.
massacres in smaller communities probably outweigh ones in big ubran centers

I can see why it is easy to fall into a downward spiral when there's less to do coupled with minimal social services
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:28 PM   #10
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
so they caught him and are gonna jail him to feed him rest of his life after taking 10 lives....
Old 05-18-2018, 04:10 PM   #11
SiRVs up, dude

In before welfare says gun control wouldn't have stopped this attack
Old 05-18-2018, 07:12 PM   #12
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiRV View Post
In before welfare says gun control wouldn't have stopped this attack
Actually it wouldn't. The shooter actually used a shotgun, a revolver and explosives. Other than a full on ban on all firearms, the current talks on gun control, i.e. ban on AR15 and "high capacity" magazines, in the US wouldn't have changed a thing.
ray666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:25 PM   #13
I STILL don't get it

gun control may not stop lunatics now.. but 2-3 generations from now, when the whole gun culture/obsession/fascination is reduced and not common among your average family, we should see a dramatic decrease in this absurdity.

anyone who can't see the benefits of gun control aren't thinking long term.
wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:31 PM   #14
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreck View Post
gun control may not stop lunatics now.. but 2-3 generations from now, when the whole gun culture/obsession/fascination is reduced and not common among your average family, we should see a dramatic decrease in this absurdity.

By your own admission you're stating its not gun control, its gun culture.

Gun laws haven't changed, only the number of incidents have.
Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2018, 07:38 PM   #15
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwood View Post
By your own admission you're stating its not gun control, its gun culture.

Gun laws haven't changed, only the number of incidents have.
you are confused.

i don't care enough to explain.
wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2018, 08:57 PM   #16
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 4,841 Times in 632 Posts
Some good news from JJ Watt

JJ Watt to pay Funeral Costs
https://www.sportsnet.ca/football/nf...oting-victims/
H.Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray666 View Post
Actually it wouldn't. The shooter actually used a shotgun, a revolver and explosives. Other than a full on ban on all firearms, the current talks on gun control, i.e. ban on AR15 and "high capacity" magazines, in the US wouldn't have changed a thing.
If his dad had locked up his guns like people do in Canada this might not of happened.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:18 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
If his dad had locked up his guns like people do in Canada this might not of happened.
https://www.scpr.org/news/2018/04/22...ack-guns-that/

Doesn't always happen like it should :/
Old 05-19-2018, 06:19 AM   #19
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,753 Times in 3,868 Posts
You notice how slow these threads are to get responses now? We just don’t give a fuck anymore.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:35 AM   #20
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wreck View Post

red necks love guns,good luck with that.
and usa loves their gun right freedoms.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:37 AM   #21
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
You notice how slow these threads are to get responses now? We just don’t give a fuck anymore.
This didn't get posted on RS, either.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4217633/v...eted-shooting/

https://globalnews.ca/video/4219713/...ouble-shooting

Last edited by MG1; 05-19-2018 at 06:47 AM.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:56 AM   #22
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,038 Times in 2,075 Posts
Quote:
I think it’s more due to the fact that every single shooting thread on RS becomes a gun safety debate within a page or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2018, 07:39 AM   #23
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Broken violin. No one cares anymore.
It's gotten to the point where they deserve it now.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-19-2018, 07:55 AM   #24
MG1

The one I posted two up was local - as in Vancouver. A woman who was in her third trimester of pregnancy was shot. Baby did not survive and mother-to-be might not, either. Targeted, but nobody deserves that. I know, you're referring to the shootings in the States, but those victims were regular folk like you or me. They have family and friends, hopes and dreams, etc.

Stop caring? Not me......................

This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2018, 06:46 AM   #25
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,139 Times in 7,148 Posts
Quote:
I still care, I just can't continue to explain to people who don't understand math that:
Less guns purchased legally =
Less illegal guns in circulation =
Less frequency of these events =
Less lives lost =
Not outright bans on guns =
Not taking away your RIGHTS (healthcare and clean water aren't rights but guns are, keep fighting that good fight.)

We aren't going to solve the problems of violence in the world. To believe we will is delusional, but continuing to do nothing is simply appalling and disrespectful to the victims of these horrible events.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: