REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-22-2018, 10:42 PM   #176
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
It’s both of their faults. There are risks when getting behind the wheel, and this is one of them. Ken took a risk speeding. The Dr took a risk turning, and it costed him his life. Both of them risked something, and it only worked out for one of them. Both could have been killed. If the doctor did not turn left blindly, there would be no crash. If Ken was going slower, there would be no crash. I believe there is equal fault here.
W..T..F.. LOL this a troll?
Advertisement
imp>dom is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-23-2018, 08:16 PM   #177
Founder, RS Veteran

Dr. Alphonsus Hui was my family doctor and my friend's father.

Dr. Hui was the GP for most of my life as well as my family's (father, wife, son, grandfather).

I was completely devastated in 2015 when I heard the news from my friend on fb. I was in utter disbelief that someone, who helped me physically and mentally through my care needs, died sooner than I did.

It was a horrific way to die too. I don't believe that he died instantly. I wish he did though, so that he could not feel any pain. Someone who helped so many, exited this world by suffering a tragic painful death... on his way to work... to serve others. That is so unfair. I visited the crash site a number of times to personally grieve. I printed off a news article and posted it so that pedestrians who passed by would learn that Dr. Hui wasn't just anyone, but what I would deem a "contributor" to society, especially for the Chinese Elder community. He added to this world, he didn't subtract from it. Much like John Norwich aka Gwilo on revscene. (edit: I'm glad to see that there is a website memorial made for him now Dr. Alphonsus Hui: In Memorium)

anyhow thanks for listening.

Bored? Follow jACE on Twitter or check out his homepage.
jACEDesignsLtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:53 AM   #178
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudz View Post
Are you trying to tell me that when you are making left hand turns you aren't paying attention or expecting cars to be passing you at different rates of speed? You should be assuming people are driving unsafe and most importantly watching what is coming towards you before you make that turn.
Do you know what a red herring or a strawman argument is?

You just stated one should assume. Assumption is that you assume the cars approaching are speeding. Assumption isn't, "I assume that car is going 70 and that car is going 140."

It seems like you either don't drive, or one of those who follow all laws of the road making it dangerous for people around you so let me help you out.

Imagine going normal speeds on the highway but all of the cars around you are stationary. Then add in all the bumps, and buildings moving super fast in your peripheral vision.

Then imagine yourself being the turning car in this. There's a camouflaged car in the middle of the block ahead of you, you glance left, crash. A glance was all it took. This isn't even factoring in how the Audi was weaving through traffic. Good luck gauging that one with your road omniscience, keyboard warrior.

Yes, in theory he should have noticed how fast he was going. Yes, in theory he should have seen the Audi. Yes, in theory he should have should have should have.

But this is real life, a moment isn't fucking 90 seconds, you have other things to check for before making a quick turn, and you get used to driving around town with people going average of excess 20, not 90. If you constantly assume that anyone could be doing 140 anywhere at any given time while you're driving, you have issues. There's something called a norm. Look it up.

The accident happened because of an anomaly. It could have been prevented in theory. The conditions were just unfortunate enough that the anomaly was fatal.
hwangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:56 PM   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwangr View Post
Do you know what a red herring or a strawman argument is?

You just stated one should assume. Assumption is that you assume the cars approaching are speeding. Assumption isn't, "I assume that car is going 70 and that car is going 140."

It seems like you either don't drive, or one of those who follow all laws of the road making it dangerous for people around you so let me help you out.

Imagine going normal speeds on the highway but all of the cars around you are stationary. Then add in all the bumps, and buildings moving super fast in your peripheral vision.

Then imagine yourself being the turning car in this. There's a camouflaged car in the middle of the block ahead of you, you glance left, crash. A glance was all it took. This isn't even factoring in how the Audi was weaving through traffic. Good luck gauging that one with your road omniscience, keyboard warrior.

Yes, in theory he should have noticed how fast he was going. Yes, in theory he should have seen the Audi. Yes, in theory he should have should have should have.

But this is real life, a moment isn't fucking 90 seconds, you have other things to check for before making a quick turn, and you get used to driving around town with people going average of excess 20, not 90. If you constantly assume that anyone could be doing 140 anywhere at any given time while you're driving, you have issues. There's something called a norm. Look it up.

The accident happened because of an anomaly. It could have been prevented in theory. The conditions were just unfortunate enough that the anomaly was fatal.

love it. thanks.
imp>dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:48 AM   #180
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,920 Times in 1,868 Posts
I wonder if Traffic Division of the VPD has sophisticated enough computers to create a visual simulation. The dash cam video gave a pretty good idea of the speed of Audi (from a side view) but it would be interesting to see it from Dr. Hui's perspective, what that moment might have looked like and what a vehicle coming straight up at 140 km/hr looks like. It may settle some of this 'debate'.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:03 PM   #181

There is hope .. similar but not exactly the same. But if an undercover police officer can be found guilty of speeding while on duty ... surely, the bozo (driving the Audi) will face the consequences of his actions.

Quebec police officer found guilty of speeding, causing death of 5-year-old
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...eath-1.4751032

In a ruling issued Thursday in Longueuil, Quebec court Judge Éric Simard said there was nothing to justify the speed at which Ouellet was driving and that there were "inherent" risks in such behaviour.

"His failure to take steps to avoid such risks constitutes a marked departure from the standard of care that a reasonable person in the same situation would follow," Simard wrote in his decision.

During the trial, Ouellet testified that the crash was unavoidable. However, the Crown argued the officer's driving behaviour that day was "objectively dangerous."
Old 07-19-2018, 07:32 PM   #182
HELP ME PLS!!!

I thought Quebec law is based on the French civil system. It is different from the rest of Canada.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:23 PM   #183
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
134 km/h in a 50 zone in the snow and ice ...
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2018, 10:27 PM   #184
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
Quebecois typically drives 90 in the city
same speed regardless of road conditions and speed limit lol
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 05:33 PM   #185

Judge overturns not guilty verdict ... there is justice! Throw the bum in jail.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/legal-error-ju...rash-1.4446754

The three judges hearing the appeal of a driver's dangerous driving acquittal have overturned the lower court's acquittal, declaring him guilty of dangerous driving causing death.

The Crown had been seeking to have the BC Court of Appeal to substitute the acquittal with a conviction, rather than ordering a new trial in the high-speed 2015 crash that killed a Vancouver doctor on Oak Street, which is what the court did.

"In the end, then, the sole issue for the trial judge was whether the rapid acceleration and excessive speed Mr. Chung exhibited in the moments before the incident constituted a marked departure from the norm," said Justice Harvey Groberman as he read an oral judgement on behalf of the panel.

Last edited by whitev70r; 05-31-2019 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:36 PM   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollface View Post
1000% usless.
2 soon Jr.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-01-2019, 01:23 AM   #187
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:
"I cannot understand how I could possibly describe the driver at almost three times the speed limit into a major intersection as anything but a marked departure from the norm" said Groberman. "The speed was so wildly beyond a reasonable standard it is appropriately branded as criminal."
I still cant believe how that idiot, or how anyone, could find it a good idea to travel that fast anywhere in the city
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-01-2019, 04:26 AM   #188

Toss the book at this reckless fucker...
esp when you read of how he continued to speed even after causing this needless tragedy....like wtf?!

Excerpt from the petition, link at bottom (which i encourage you to read)
"To add insult to injury, we found out that Ken Chung had a history of speeding before he killed my dad.
Furthermore... AFTER he killed my dad, he was caught street racing at 104 km/h in a residential zone in Vancouver on June 3, 2017.
He plead guilty to this Excessive Speeding offence on May 11, 2018. It's clear to us that he's still unrepentant for what he has done. "
https://www.change.org/p/david-eby-j...a-50-km-h-zone

Last edited by canali; 06-01-2019 at 06:36 PM.
canali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:23 AM   #189
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,862 Times in 3,844 Posts
This guy sounds like a piece of shit to the highest degree
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-01-2019, 08:34 AM   #190
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 6,990 Times in 1,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by canali View Post
Toss the book at this reckless fucker...
esp when you read of how he continued to speed after causing this needless accident.

Excerpt from the petition:
"To add insult to injury, we found out that Ken Chung had a history of speeding before he killed my dad.
Furthermore... AFTER he killed my dad, he was caught street racing at 104 km/h in a residential zone in Vancouver on June 3, 2017.
He plead guilty to this Excessive Speeding offence on May 11, 2018. It's clear to us that he's still unrepentant for what he has done. "
https://www.change.org/p/david-eby-j...a-50-km-h-zone
What the fuck. Get this guy off the fucking road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:37 AM   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_ View Post
What the fuck. Get this guy off the fucking road.
Off the road, into a jail cell.
mr00jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 01:15 PM   #192
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,163 Times in 1,548 Posts
Appeals court isn't the top level, though. Can/will this be taken to the supreme court?
Old 06-01-2019, 01:53 PM   #193

Appeals court isn't the top level, though. Can/will this be taken to the supreme court?

Presto: to your query, a reporter covering this case (see below the video in link) asked chung's lawyer this question
and he felt it too early to consider such next step.
''The judges have remitted Chung's case to provincial court for sentencing, which has not been scheduled yet.
When CTV News contacted Chung’s lawyer, Richard Fowler, to see if Chung would appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada he said it was "too early to say."

and the reporter added (end of news video) that very few applications are accepted
for review by the supreme court anyway.

see news video..starts with the horrible video capturing Chung t-boning Hui's car.
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/they-got-it-ri...rash-1.4446754

Last edited by canali; 06-01-2019 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 02:12 PM   #194

i recall looking up cheap winter beaters with awd not long ago and the suzuki swift almost always gets recommended

yet I can't shake the image of this mangled example...then again which passenger car built even in 2019 can sustain side impact at 140kph? RIP
Old 06-02-2019, 11:32 AM   #195
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,862 Times in 3,844 Posts
From an older article, but NHTSA does the side tests at with a 3,015-pound car traveling at 38.5 mph (62km/h). IIHS uses 3,300 pounds higher up (like a truck) but no mention of speed. According to wikipedia NCAP does it at 50km/h.

source: https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...-101/index.htm

I would think the only hope of minor injuries when tboned at that speed is to have a vehicle much taller or much heavier than whatever is hitting you. Even then I'd think you'd need to be in a bus or something.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 01:12 PM   #196

i just stumbled across ken chung's instagram page.
https://www.instagram.com/ken_chung_audi/
so he loves dogs, is about to get engaged (or is now married), is an uncle, son etc....and yet he screwed up so badly...and repeatedly, too.
i know if i killed someone due to reckless driving that i'd plead guilty ....and would be too traumatized and overcome with
guilt, shame, fear etc to ever want to get behind the wheel again...but that he did screw up again (was caught speeding post crash)
just boggles my mind.

Last edited by canali; 06-03-2019 at 07:25 AM.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:40 PM   #197
RS controls my life!

How is this for a simplistic label?, he is still a skid piece of shit for doing what he did!

My Feedback
TurboTalon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-02-2019, 03:12 PM   #198

Canada is too soft on criminals charges
Whatheshrek is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-02-2019, 07:20 PM   #199
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,202 Times in 1,606 Posts
It's one thing to screw up. It's another to keep repeating your shit behaviour and show no remorse whatsoever. That's what makes him a piece of shit. You can't hide behind the "everyone makes mistake" excuse when you're found guilty of street racing AFTER you've already killed a man before.

Honestly, it boggles the mind how the first court acquitted him in the first place. Wtf??
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:02 PM   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 View Post
It's one thing to screw up. It's another to keep repeating your shit behaviour and show no remorse whatsoever. That's what makes him a piece of shit. You can't hide behind the "everyone makes mistake" excuse when you're found guilty of street racing AFTER you've already killed a man before.

Honestly, it boggles the mind how the first court acquitted him in the first place. Wtf??
Hugely agree...after seeing those pics and letting it sit in I started to get angry. I understand he still wants to continue on with his life etc.(but why post?).. but on the other hand if I was the one who killed somebody due to reckless driving I'd be so overcome with guilt, shame, self hate and fear for my safety from the public ptsd etc that I would not want to get behind the freakin wheel at all again, let alone still engage in reckless driving afterwords.
Further insults the survivors and shows what a POS he is.

This dude really should go to jail for a few yrs serving the FULL term (good luck with that in Canada)
and also have his driving privileges taken away for good.

Last edited by canali; 06-03-2019 at 07:34 AM.
This post thanked by: