REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:23 AM   #26
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

one of the very few celebrities that i could give a shit about

very original and genuine guy, hilarious and jaw dropping books

definitely one of the good ones
Advertisement
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:43 AM   #27
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
This man had a job that most people can only dream of and at the end, it still wasn't enough. More funding needs to be put into mental health initiatives to help those of us that are struggling to deal with issues like this.

The way he told the story of food, culture, and their people was just fantastic. I can't imagine how Eric Ripert is feeling right now, to be in France shooting an episode together and then finding your bromance best friend dead. RIP
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 12:11 PM   #28
I came, I saw, I conquered.

wtf?
Old 06-08-2018, 12:40 PM   #29
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
Long before i ever travelled anywhere i was hooked on shows like Lonely planet and specifically hosts like Ian Wright etc. They had such a way to open the world to your average person in their hosting and presentation

Bourdain was no different and i've been a big fan for 10+ years, sad that such a talent taken away
Old 06-08-2018, 12:51 PM   #30

Thanked 4,506 Times in 1,688 Posts
Ian Wright, still goes down as GOAT travel show host in my eyes. He was the best.

I'm really sad on this one, normally I could care less when these celebrities pass away, but this one feels different, more close to home. I've been watching Bourdain since No Reservations, literally the first season when it started with him working in the kitchen in New York, curly dark hair and all.

Very sad about this, he still had a ton of content left to give us, and a very measured and intelligent perspective, something I find lacking nowadays from television hosts.

It's fitting that today is a rainy day
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 12:58 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
This man had a job that most people can only dream of and at the end, it still wasn't enough. More funding needs to be put into mental health initiatives to help those of us that are struggling to deal with issues like this.

The way he told the story of food, culture, and their people was just fantastic. I can't imagine how Eric Ripert is feeling right now, to be in France shooting an episode together and then finding your bromance best friend dead. RIP
his depression is most likely cause by his massive use of drugs and the long term affects they have on you
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-08-2018, 01:58 PM   #32
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,214 Posts
Hell, I've watched pretty much all his travel shows. Who here has seen A Cooks Tour? I remember scouring YouTube about 10 years ago for these before they were all taken down.

I've even managed to sit through all episodes of The Layover. Even he hated doing those!

Sad, sad day...

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2018, 02:30 PM   #33
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Hell, I've watched pretty much all his travel shows. Who here has seen A Cooks Tour? I remember scouring YouTube about 10 years ago for these before they were all taken down.

I've even managed to sit through all episodes of The Layover. Even he hated doing those!

Sad, sad day...
I was always hoping he'd come back and do another Vancouver episode after all these years
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:38 PM   #34
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
Sucks. Love how he shows not just the touristy areas but what locals do. Still remember that he said the best way to enjoy a place is to ask where the locals hang out and eat. Go there and enjoy it.
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2018, 02:55 PM   #35
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Reminds me of the rs depression thread that was up recently. Get some help guys
RickyTan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 03:04 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
his depression is most likely cause by his massive use of drugs and the long term affects they have on you
Your comment is a disservice to those who suffer from mental health issues such as depression. While we can debate the ill-effects brought about by the extended use of drugs, to assume that his downfall was a direct result of his previously known heroin habit is jumping the gun to say the least. There are many healthy individuals who lead healthy and active lifestyles, eat right, and don't consume drugs, yet cannot escape the debilitating effects of depression, and in some cases leads to them taking their own life.

The lack of nuance in your comment pollutes important conversations on mental health and drug addiction, depriving our ability to have honest and meaningful dialogue on two very important health topics. These are two separate issues, and while there is overlap between the two its negligent to lump them together for the sake of reaching some generalized conclusion.

My post isn't meant as a personal attack on you blkgsr. Your post struck a cord in me because i've unfortunately lost people close to me from suicide. Each instance brought my attention to the fact that signs of depression can be elusive. Beneath the veneer of a cheerful smile and bubbly personality can lay a corroded interior slowly decaying the person from within, all the while never emitting the slightest sign of trouble to those around them.
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 03:16 PM   #37
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post

Sad, sad day...
The cook tour was on netflix canada a few months ago.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2018, 03:23 PM   #38
HELP ME PLS!!!

A cooks tour, Layover, and Parts Unknown are on American Netflix. I binged them all last year.

Super sad about this as well, the way he is able to get people to open up on his show is incredible. The open mindedness to show a country and it's people instead of the stereotype. I am going to miss seeing his shows and how he presents the world.

I really wonder what drives these celebrities to do this kind of thing. I really want to believe it was a OD and that given the choice he wouldn't have left this world like this.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:59 PM   #39
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,150 Times in 2,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
I was always hoping he'd come back and do another Vancouver episode after all these years
Him and Nari Kye the dynamic duo in the vancouver episode (I also had a huge crush on Nari after seeing that)
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:04 PM   #40
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Like many wrote above, I would always google or youtube "Anthony Bourdain (city)" before I travel there and take notes on what he did and where he ate.
Globetrotting on company expense, eating and drinking whatever you want. It's basically my dream job, and I can't imagine how anybody would not be happy with a career like that... but mental health is deep and complicated.

RIP
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:56 PM   #41
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

The more I think about it the weirder it gets.

Someone who cared so much for his life and his daughter just offered himself.
Think it could be setup to look like a suicide.
*tinfoil hat on*
RickyTan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:18 PM   #42
HELP ME PLS!!!

Maybe he relapsed and OD'd on heroine. That's my tinfoil theory.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:19 PM   #43
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,775 Times in 8,169 Posts
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2018, 07:23 PM   #44
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,763 Times in 1,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
That's an interesting way of looking at it.
I wouldn't say he's wrong.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:42 PM   #45
I am Hook'd on RS

This broke my heart and made Doug Ford becoming Ontario premier feel like such an insignificant thing to get upset about. Especially coming off the heels of Kate Spade's suicide on Tuesday. Like many RSers I feel in love with Anthony Bourdain through No Reservations (actually it was my mom who introduced me to the show), and that show introduced me to Bourdain's other work like Kitchen Confidential, A Cook's Tour, Parts Unknown, etc., which I thoroughly enjoyed.

I especially loved how Bourdain refused to act like a typical American tourist, and was incredibly respectful of other cultures; this was especially evident in his episodes in the Middle East (Dubai, Egypt, Turkey). The two episodes in Beirut (the first being interrupted by the Lebanon War, the second more successful) were great. The Parts Unknown episode in Libya was an informative look at how the country was doing post-Gaddafi. The Vancouver episode with show producer Nari Kye (the one with Vij's, Tojo's and Pino Posterato) was, of course, outstanding.

I believe Bourdain treated his visits the right way--he believed he was a guest in each country, and went out of his way to accept hospitality with grace and dignity. The episodes where he introduces other chefs teaching basic techniques, and when he does a shift at his old restaurant, Les Halles, are my ATF episodes of No Reservations. And the Parts Unknown episode where he goes to Ethiopia with Marcus Samuelsson is my ATF episode of that series; I am of Ethiopian descent myself and found that episode extremely touching.

It is incredibly upsetting to me that mental illness continues to be stigmatized, both in the U.S. and Canada. As someone legitimately diagnosed with ADHD in 1999 at the age of 5, and then with GAD in 2014, the mentality of "ADHD don't real, they just give kids ritalin to keep them quiet. By the way, do you have any adderall? I'm studying for a test" that I see on Reddit and sometimes even on RS infuriates me.

Some big corporations pay lip service like Bell Let's Talk Day, but that rings pretty hollow compared to what governments could be doing right now: expanding mental health care services as part of public health insurance, expanding prescription drug programs to cover more psychiatric medication (like Plan G, or how RAMQ does it in Quebec), etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post
Your comment is a disservice to those who suffer from mental health issues such as depression. While we can debate the ill-effects brought about by the extended use of drugs, to assume that his downfall was a direct result of his previously known heroin habit is jumping the gun to say the least. There are many healthy individuals who lead healthy and active lifestyles, eat right, and don't consume drugs, yet cannot escape the debilitating effects of depression, and in some cases leads to them taking their own life.

The lack of nuance in your comment pollutes important conversations on mental health and drug addiction, depriving our ability to have honest and meaningful dialogue on two very important health topics. These are two separate issues, and while there is overlap between the two its negligent to lump them together for the sake of reaching some generalized conclusion.

My post isn't meant as a personal attack on you blkgsr. Your post struck a cord in me because i've unfortunately lost people close to me from suicide. Each instance brought my attention to the fact that signs of depression can be elusive. Beneath the veneer of a cheerful smile and bubbly personality can lay a corroded interior slowly decaying the person from within, all the while never emitting the slightest sign of trouble to those around them.
Yes, yes, yes. Too many people conflate mental health and drug addiction, they think, "oh, he was addicted to heroin before, or he took fentanyl, so that must be why he committed suicide, because of those dastardly drugs." I think some of it stems from treating drug addiction as a law and order problem, instead of a mental health problem.

It creates a stigma against drugs, that prevents people from considering psychiatric medications that could legitimately help them. Then you get cases like Bourdain or Kate Spade, hiding their mental illnesses from the world because of stigma, or not wanting to be thought of as drug addicts, etc.

I can tell you first-hand, that psychiatric medication has been a damn lifesaver for me. Unfortunately, we see things on TV like the addiction to painkillers/oxycontin and anti-depressants, or the fentanyl/opioid crisis, and end up taking a "drugs are bad" approach. i.e. "You don't need ritalin, you just need to get outside more. ADHD is made up." Such a mentality is counter-intuitive in my opinion.

Greater acceptance of psychiatric medication for those who legitimately need it (and non-drug therapies alongside them e.g. CBT, group therapy) goes hand-in-hand and treating the opioid crisis as a mental health problem. It was treating drug addiction with a law and order approach that helped create the opioid crisis anyway, in my opinion. At the same time, it's true that sometimes, you can do just fine with something gentle like escitalopram or quetiapine, instead of big-ass Xanax bars or Zoloft 50mg.
OnTheRun is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2018, 08:28 PM   #46
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

RIP
JayEch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:29 PM   #47
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2018, 08:33 PM   #48
GS8

Thanked 7,219 Times in 1,961 Posts
Never ending cycle

*Man kills self*

Society: How could he do that? He had everything! He was living the dream!

*Woman kills self*

Society: How could she do that? She was so beautiful and nice!

---

People just don't fucking get it...
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:23 PM   #49
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,017 Times in 7,108 Posts
The odd part of celebrity status. Everyone thinks they know everything about you. Everyone speculates, everyone has a reason, everyone knows how great, or how bad you have it.
That must take its toll.
RIP chef.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:11 PM   #50
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheRun View Post
Lacking real vitamin D [specially with darker skin in Canada(uv-b bulbs in the winter)] , proper nutrition, being bombarded with toxins, allergies and letting the brain recovery after years of street drugs are the best solutions... but Im betting doctors dont address these issues but just go for the pills.
Im witness to it when my mom told her doctor she was depressed because of just being divorced.

Whats wrong in the world is that North America itself is the sacrificial lamb (wars, GMO's, culture) for world domination goals.
one has to learn how to navigate the system thats working against you.

Dr Russell Blaylock effects of food and nutrition on brain function and behaviour
youtube.com/watch?v=X_kvhWZ6m-0

Book
Allergies: Disease in Disguise
Quote:
We have been conditioned to think of allergy in a limited capacity such as runny nose, sinus problems, skin rashes, asthma and hay fever. However allergy is much more insidious and extensive. It can also take the form of arthritis, gall bladder disease, intractable headache, Crohn’s disease, depression, psychotic behavior, and more than one hundred other conditions not normally thought of as allergy.
ALLERGIES Disease in Disguise - Healthy By Choice
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote