REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:19 PM   #26
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
Housing prices are never going to tank in BC again.

The NDP are just going to move homeless people in next door to the guy who worked his ass off to afford his place.
Advertisement
Old 07-20-2018, 12:51 PM   #27
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
I don't agree with everything the NDP has done, but shit, the Liberals didn't let in ride sharing either and pandered just as much with the BC Taxi Industry. This is moot point no matter the political party.

Most people are just small-minded and don't remember past yesterday. Durr... no ride sharing? Fucking Liberals! No ride sharing??? fuck the NDP!
this

because the Liberals were very instrumental in getting us ride-sharing right gais?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2018, 12:55 PM   #28

I don’t recall the liberals making it a campaign promise.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:09 PM   #29
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

surprised no one actually mentioned this yet:

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...ment-on-monday

basically, union labour only for infrastructure projects, OR if your non-union workforce wins the bid, you are forced to join a union?

I get the point of protecting workers and better benefits and training, but .... what kind of backward shit is this?
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:07 PM   #30
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
^
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
On the one hand the NDP is taking SOME action on the housing crisis and money laundering, which is more than can be said of the Liberals and their inaction over 16 years.

On the other hand:

-No Uber
-Cancelled George Massey Bridge
-Cancelled Hwy 1 widening east of Langley
-New Union-only crown corp to oversee infrastructure projects (i.e. expensive as fuck bridges and roads)
-STILL NO FUCKING UBER !?!

Seems like the NDP want us to all stay put in our declining value homes and not go anywhere.

I mentioned it

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:17 PM   #31
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
We should be using whoever gives us the best value, regardless of union/non-union. NDP has to stop caving to their union donors just like the Liberals need to stop caving to their corporate donors.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2018, 03:30 PM   #32

Unions are so weak at this point it's the completely wrong direction to empower them again..

madddd Tax dollars going to go into union backed infastructure projects now instead of using their non-unionized counterparts who have already been working locally for decades...
Old 07-20-2018, 03:51 PM   #33
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
On the one hand the NDP is taking SOME action on the housing crisis and money laundering, which is more than can be said of the Liberals and their inaction over 16 years.
I'd add tackling the ICBC dumpster fire that the Liberals have left behind as another one of the big things the NDP has done right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
I laugh when people say NDP will fix the housing issue. If only people remember what happens in the 90s when NDP was in power. Sure housing price is all time low but none have the money to afford one coz the economy was shit a large part due to NDP.

Looks like history is repeating again lol. There are good and bad. When a city is growing and people wants to invest and live here of course housing price will go up. What does NDP do combat the housing cost? Let's screw up BC so housing price will be low again.
The easy counter argument is -- when the Liberals were in power, housing prices are at an all time high and no one in the working class can afford to buy in the more central locations.

The pendulum has swung one way and got stuck with the Liberals for far too long. You want balance in society, and that means the pendulum needs to swing back to the left and stay there for a while.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:19 PM   #34
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

https://www.bcndp.ca/releases/bc-ndp...on-ridesharing

Straight from the horses mouth. This was an election promise...so live up to it NDP and stop finding excuses

Last edited by Ludepower; 07-20-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2018, 04:46 PM   #35
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Have seen a couple of videos that say you can't make money with Uber, while other studies show that you can. It's all over the place.
It depends. I live in Mississauga and use Uber at least once a week. Majority of drivers I've encountered are either retirees, people with full-time jobs just looking to make some extra cash, or students with full course loads who like the idea of flexible hours and only working when you have the time.

As Hondaracer said, if it wasn't profitable would there be so many Uber drivers available to take a ride?

Below is a screenshot from my Uber app. Keep in mind it is almost 9PM on a Friday night. I set my destination to the CN Tower in order to illustrate the amount available cars that would take me to downtown Toronto. In the time it takes me to catch the elevator and head to the lobby of my building there would be a car waiting outside. With a set fare, a nice driver, a clean vehicle, and none of the bullshit that I've encountered with Vancouver taxis:

Personally I don't see what is so unique about Vancouver that we are the only major city in North America that does not have ride sharing. It's a no-brainer really, especially in light of the fact that the Skytrain stops service so early into the night. More affordable, accessible alternatives to drunk driving are always a plus in my book. If Uber means even preventing one fatality from a drunk driver, I think it would be worth all the "hassle" in my book. Especially considering the fact that I've never had a positive experience with Vancouver cabs....
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2018, 05:04 PM   #36
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmeister View Post
surprised no one actually mentioned this yet:

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...ment-on-monday

basically, union labour only for infrastructure projects, OR if your non-union workforce wins the bid, you are forced to join a union?

I get the point of protecting workers and better benefits and training, but .... what kind of backward shit is this?
Is not just that is union labour, but also hiring locals first. Why spend billions of dollars on megaprojects and not get any local work/training out of it.
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:34 PM   #37
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,667 Times in 3,115 Posts
Unions weak? Maybe some, but I'm scared shitless of those longshoremen and teachers. They'll shut you down so fast it'll make your balls retract.

When I worked as a freight conductor for CN rail our union was piss ass weak. But job security was guaranteed.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:06 PM   #38
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I'd add tackling the ICBC dumpster fire that the Liberals have left behind as another one of the big things the NDP has done right.

The easy counter argument is -- when the Liberals were in power, housing prices are at an all time high and no one in the working class can afford to buy in the more central locations.

The pendulum has swung one way and got stuck with the Liberals for far too long. You want balance in society, and that means the pendulum needs to swing back to the left and stay there for a while.
I am by no means rich or make a lot of money and I manage to get an apartment so did many others. Other people who work harder got townhomes or even house. I wouldn't say is in City of Vancouver but I got a place in Burnaby so is not so bad.

I just sold my place and looking for a 2 bedroom apartment so yea even though if the price drops is good for me. I wouldn't want it that way. Too many people live depend on the market atm.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:59 PM   #39
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
I am by no means rich or make a lot of money and I manage to get an apartment so did many others. Other people who work harder got townhomes or even house. I wouldn't say is in City of Vancouver but I got a place in Burnaby so is not so bad.
Exactly right -- you got an apartment. 10 - 15 yrs ago, someone with the same wage would have purchased a house where they'd have more room for themselves and their families.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Loc View Post
As Hondaracer said, if it wasn't profitable would there be so many Uber drivers available to take a ride?
I remain unconvinced that after factoring in the true operating costs and depreciation, Uber drivers under their current payment model can make more than min wage. In a previous Uber / ride sharing thread, didn't someone post a link of some analysis coming to a similar conclusion?
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2018, 10:06 PM   #40
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
The irony in all of this is that the hordes who voted in the NDP in order to crash the housing market through government intervention now want the NDP to deregulate the taxi industry. Like what did these people expect?

Ride-sharing is neat, but Uber isn't exactly the most ethical company. I wouldn't be sad if the province gave the bird to Uber, but allowed other companies to operate.

You know, other voting blocs could learn a thing or two from the South Asians in terms of how to wield political power. Instead, many of you are just ranting on RS.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-20-2018, 10:41 PM   #41
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
One serious question I have: so how does the math actually work out for us?

As in, if someone decides to pursue Uber as their full-time job, will they be making money or losing money?

Have seen a couple of videos that say you can't make money with Uber, while other studies show that you can. It's all over the place.

As a consumer, this is a welcome change, but for those providing the service with fuel-efficient vehicles and those who will get affected by the change in policy(taxi drivers), I feel like there are some maths we have to do.
You can average 19$ an hour which ain't bad given how convenient you can make your hours. I'm not sure if gas money, basic maintenance and the investment to become an uber driver are involved in this equation.

Something I've noticed about Uber drivers is that some of them buy brand new cars and pay them off by being an uber driver. My brother got a ride with a tesla owner who paid off his car by moonlighting as an uber driver within 2 years while also going to school.
Everymans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:54 PM   #42
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Being able to write off your vehicle and related expenses would be a large positive to doing it. When I was in Portland using Uber/Lyft was so convenient, a few of our drivers were middle aged doing it as a full time job and said they enjoyed it
Adorkami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:54 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
The irony in all of this is that the hordes who voted in the NDP in order to crash the housing market through government intervention now want the NDP to deregulate the taxi industry. Like what did these people expect?

Ride-sharing is neat, but Uber isn't exactly the most ethical company. I wouldn't be sad if the province gave the bird to Uber, but allowed other companies to operate.

You know, other voting blocs could learn a thing or two from the South Asians in terms of how to wield political power. Instead, many of you are just ranting on RS.
I won't benefit much from ride-share here

but it would make Vancouver a little less backwards so that's something I support...even places like Santiago de Chile (several rungs below us) or rural northern Thailand, places that have shuttles for 40c fares and feel like they were last maintained 35 years ago, has ride-shares for crying out loud

regulation must be working great because those Yellow Taxis are in great shape and come with very safe drivers!

driving a Toyota hybrid around town is not high-skilled work, and will be another area to see automation relatively sooner...so how much balance should there be for regulation? do you see cashiers at market actively lobbying against self-checkout?

you think the gov't main motive behind this is to be a white knight? If not Uber then allow Grab, Lyft etc.

you mean, throwing enough cash at a problem to keep the aging cartel going?

it's like Blockbuster striking a deal with internet providers to throttle streaming connections so people will still go rent VHS...net neutrality in the 90s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everymans View Post
My brother got a ride with a tesla owner who paid off his car by moonlighting as an uber driver within 2 years while also going to school.
student buying 100k vehicles
sounds like the same group of assholes who have no income and own 10M properties in point grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I remain unconvinced that after factoring in the true operating costs and depreciation, Uber drivers under their current payment model can make more than min wage. In a previous Uber / ride sharing thread, didn't someone post a link of some analysis coming to a similar conclusion?
insurance is a fixed cost (though I'm sure it will go up if Uber class is considered commercial), and to a certain extent even longer-term consumables like tires...but im sure there will be quite a few out-of-warranty BMWs running this game

and someone people actually will like the driver/passenger interaction or just driving in general. To do a few hours each week seems like a good way to have an excuse to enjoy your car more

Last edited by twitchyzero; 07-21-2018 at 12:25 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-21-2018, 12:23 AM   #44
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:26 AM   #45
RS controls my life!

Anyone thinking lower home prices is what NDP wants... check the facts.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...aign-1.4080752

At nearly $2B in property transfer tax (2% then 1% on amt past $200K), higher property tax is a huge boost for the province. In fact the $600M+ surplus helped BC get in the black last year
Old 07-21-2018, 02:00 AM   #46
private modder

Thanked 2,650 Times in 740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I don’t recall the liberals making it a campaign promise.
They sure did.

https://www.bcliberals.com/platform/...desharing-b-c/
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-21-2018, 07:02 AM   #47
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,066 Times in 1,252 Posts
NDP won't drop housing prices because you gotta remember who are NDPers... baby boomers.

NDP will be pro-union but I thought liberals were getting closer with the unions before the election .

taxi lobby is like a shoata family, fucking discreet as fuck but got you by the balls for every political party

its just every bc political party, all talk no back no guts

udi kuaiche ftw
whites need not ride, coloureds only

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:11 AM   #48
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
I won't benefit much from ride-share here

but it would make Vancouver a little less backwards so that's something I support...even places like Santiago de Chile (several rungs below us) or rural northern Thailand, places that have shuttles for 40c fares and feel like they were last maintained 35 years ago, has ride-shares for crying out loud

regulation must be working great because those Yellow Taxis are in great shape and come with very safe drivers!

driving a Toyota hybrid around town is not high-skilled work, and will be another area to see automation relatively sooner...so how much balance should there be for regulation? do you see cashiers at market actively lobbying against self-checkout?
You missed my point entirely.

I'm no supporter of the taxi industry. Ive used Uber elsewhere and I think apps like it are sorely needed here.

Obviously, ride sharing means a lot to the under 30 crowd. The same demographic voted for the NDP in overwhelming numbers because they wanted government intervention in the housing market. Young people want the government to save them in some ways, but want their cake and to eat too in others. What did they expect with the NDP?
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:21 AM   #49

don't be silly

the U30 demo was way too young to vote the last time we didn't have Liberals in Victoria

even today, they still make a very small percentage of voters

I think housing market dampening/laundering crackdown (housing, a necessity) is way more important than the occasional taxi refusal (coming home after a night of drinking, just entertainment for most) anyways

I 'm not saying making a campaign goal then going the opposite is fair at all

Last edited by twitchyzero; 07-21-2018 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:23 AM   #50
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,066 Times in 1,252 Posts
why are we spending so much time on ride sharing and not worry about other important issues lol

any other country, this will be a non issue

get some govt workers, make report and follow through

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: