REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-08-2018, 05:13 PM   #101
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
It's not the dollar figure for me, you should not be getting a bonus if you're doing a shitty job or if your company is losing money.

I'm eligible for a bonus every year depending on my branches profits, if we lose money no soup for me. It doesn't even matter if every project I'm involved with makes money, if my branch loses money no bonus.
it's possible that it is a retention bonus, so that these people will stay in a dumpster fire organization or a scaled bonus based on certain things, so maybe 50K is at a lower scale.

I agree with everyone else that C level 50K bonus is actually not that much at all
Advertisement

My Feedback

Blah™
Hakkaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:45 PM   #102
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,800 Times in 3,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
50k bonus is nothing.
if a 20% bonus is nothing
you're okay with taking home 20% less?

if it's common for a regional corporation to be in the red by almost 10 figures in a fiscal year where executive still get bonus, please provide some examples
this is not some global powerhouse like facebook or aramco...this is a public position funded from the backs of citizens where the latest monthlies have gone up by 10%
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:15 AM   #103
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
It's not the dollar figure for me, you should not be getting a bonus if you're doing a shitty job or if your company is losing money.

I'm eligible for a bonus every year depending on my branches profits, if we lose money no soup for me. It doesn't even matter if every project I'm involved with makes money, if my branch loses money no bonus.
Different company gives out different kind of bonus package.

Thing is, you don't know if the executives is doing a shitty job. Bloated government corporations like ICBC have a ton of moving parts, is highly political that you can't just "rip the bandage" off without risking the entire system collapse. The new CEO could be doing an excellent job but it would takes time for the to get back into the black.

Nobody worth their salt is dying to take the CEO helm if you tell them "no bonus for you until we get back in the black, even though we fucked up our company so badly that it will take years to break even". Turn-around strategy isn't implemented overnight.

Again, you want capable talents, you have to pay them. That's the reality.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2018, 12:27 PM   #104
Need to Seek Professional Help

There was a new article comparing the salary of the CEO of TransLink and our prime minister Justin Trudeau. It was quite a eye opening to see how much the CEO actually makes. I mean if all you care about is money than you will never be able to work in public sector. Its just different compared to private. When you work for public you serve the needs of the public not rape them of every dollar.
teggy604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:50 PM   #105
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Who will pay less
Experienced driver with no at-fault crashes: A driver that lives in Whistler with 25 years of driving experience that drives for pleasure and has no at-fault crashes will see rates go down substantially. Currently Pays: $960. Under proposed changes will pay: $803

I live in Whistler
I have over 25 years of driving experience (35 actually)
I have a 2 km to work and put less around 6,000km/yr on my car
I'm at a 43% discount, level -20

My rates just went up around 10% and are no where near the above quote. I pay around $1,500 a year

Last edited by a90a93; 11-10-2018 at 05:59 PM.
a90a93 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2018, 02:55 PM   #106
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,284 Times in 2,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by a90a93 View Post
Who will pay less
Experienced driver with no at-fault crashes: A driver that lives in Whistler with 25 years of driving experience that drives for pleasure and has no at-fault crashes will see rates go down substantially. Currently Pays: $960. Under proposed changes will pay: $803

I live in Whistler
I have over 25 years of driving experience

My rates just went up around 10% and are no where near the above qoute. I pay around $1,500 a year
Time to start contacting AG Eby, your MLA, and ICBC to ask who these hypothetical people are, and how they are receiving major discounts when you are not.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:01 PM   #107
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Who will pay less

I live in Whistler

My rates just went up around 10% and are no where near the above qoute. I pay around $1,500 a year
Brutal. Fuck BC is such a shit show.
prudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:15 PM   #108
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
Quote:
Who will pay less

I live in Whistler

"If the changes are approved, the new rates are expected to come into effect in April, 2019."

However, their example of $960 a year is insurance for a car used for pleasure. Most likely an older car too.
Fafine is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2018, 03:17 PM   #109
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Who will pay less

I live in Whistler

$1500/year for basic or does that include optional?

I also got nearly a 10% increase, too, but with a but less experience (19 years) all claims-free, ticket-free, etc. I put like 30-35k km per year, though
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:36 AM   #110
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,800 Times in 3,897 Posts
you drive a s2000 though? (judging by profile pic)

i dont believe where you work or how much you drive matters. Type of car, used for work commute, age, gender and location are the main factors

10% hike blows but 1500 sounds reasonable for a rare-ish out-of-production 2 seater

lmao but your fellow owners sure aren't helping

Quote:
Who will pay less

I live in Whistler

twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:46 AM   #111
Need my Daily Fix of RS

for those curious, my optional coverage with Bel-Air got hiked 42% this year, zero claim history

I called in and they blamed Fort Mac fires increasing everyone's premium, they dropped it down to a 33% increase after trying to find more discounts for me, laugh out loud

(still better than ICBC's rate/coverage though)
R1CED` is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2018, 12:51 PM   #112
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

I went from a 2014 Hyundai Sonata with ICBC to a 2018 Tesla Model 3 with ICBC/BCAA for optional and it went up by about $12/year. I'm guessing they will hike up their price next year but for now, BCAA is great.
Koflach is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2018, 12:53 PM   #113
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
you drive a s2000 though? (judging by profile pic)

i dont believe where you work or how much you drive matters. Type of car, used for work commute, age, gender and location are the main factors

10% hike blows but 1500 sounds reasonable for a rare-ish out-of-production 2 seater

lmao but your fellow owners sure aren't helping

I don't have the S2000 anymore. That's insurance for my 2010 Mazda3.
a90a93 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2018, 08:11 PM   #114
I'm invisible

ICBC new driver model will start in Sept 2019 as per their website.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:39 PM   #115
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

So if I got this straight

TL;DR
- Everyone in the city and majority of the population under 25 years of driving experience will see a hike in rates

- Old people (as per ICBC suggests) with half a lifetime of driving is considered experienced but barely drives only for leisure with possibly an older vehicle maybe pre-2000 will see a price decrease
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-14-2018, 09:26 PM   #116
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
did anybody seriously think that, at a $1.3B deficit, any major changes to ICBC's rate structure would be in the financial interest of anybody but ICBC?
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 06:34 AM   #117
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,751 Times in 3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by - kT View Post
did anybody seriously think that, at a $1.3B deficit, any major changes to ICBC's rate structure would be in the financial interest of anybody but ICBC?
Man why you gotta say it like that
Old 11-15-2018, 12:18 PM   #118
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
gotta call it like it is, bud. everybody knows what ICBC is like as far as gouging goes. for that matter, there have pretty much been consistent yearly rate increases for the last few years, when I heard news of this I knew it would just be a bigger shaft. they're gonna solve that deficit one way or another, and rest assured it'll largely come at a cost to every one of us
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:23 PM   #119
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,788 Times in 979 Posts
Between ICBC, the Uber thread, and basically everything else the government touches, it amazes me how anyone is not a libertarian/for small government
Old 11-15-2018, 01:21 PM   #120
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
Between ICBC, the Uber thread, and basically everything else the government touches, it amazes me how anyone is not a libertarian/for small government
The proportional representation thread is pretty indicative that most people want the status quo while threads like this and others you mentioned demonstrate they enjoy complaining about the status quo.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-15-2018, 01:52 PM   #121
Need my Daily Fix of RS

say there's a change in voting structure, then what?
ICBC isn't going away, nor are their executives going to stop receiving bonuses in a deficit
as others have said, it's likely down to their union power
This post thanked by:
Old 11-15-2018, 02:38 PM   #122
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,550 Times in 1,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1CED` View Post
say there's a change in voting structure, then what?
ICBC isn't going away, nor are their executives going to stop receiving bonuses in a deficit
as others have said, it's likely down to their union power
That's not necessarily true whatsoever.

A change of voting structure could elicit more members of government from smaller parties, and independents, which could thus allow for a more open minded approach to changing ICBC, or altering the insurance system in BC entirely. You break status quo in voting/politics, you have a better chance to change the fundamental broken systems in this Province.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-15-2018, 04:24 PM   #123
Need my Daily Fix of RS

call me a cynic...I don't recall any referendum making a substantial positive impact in BC
all I see is another cost ineffective measure to let the public believe they have the influence to drastically change a crown corporation
Old 11-23-2018, 12:39 PM   #124
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,907 Times in 754 Posts
https://theprovince.com/news/local-n...c-415574d5031d

Eby said the Insurance Corp. of B.C.'s second-quarter results show that the insurer's "financial position remains serious."
Attorney General David Eby says ICBC expects worse-than-predicted losses of $890 million this fiscal year, after losing $1.3 billion last year.

Eby said a news release Friday that the Insurance Corp. of B.C.’s second-quarter results show that the insurer’s financial position remains serious. He has called ICBC a “financial dumpster fire” and on Friday reiterated his criticism of the previous B.C. Liberal government for ignoring ICBC’s dire state and keeping it hidden from the public.

“This financial situation reflects the mounting pressure ICBC is under from the rising number and cost of claims,” Eby said.

“The primary reasons are higher bodily injury costs, as well as claims taking longer to resolve, which often result in higher claims costs. A key driver of these costs is a growing trend toward plaintiff lawyers strategically building the value of the claim — costs which have to be paid for by ICBC ratepayers.”

Eby said that since March last year, the dollar value of settlements demanded by lawyers for plaintiffs rose by 27 per cent and the average cost of closed, litigated injury claims for the first six months of fiscal 2018 hit $121,686, up from $100,427 during the same period last year.

Those lawyers are also spending more money to build their cases, increasing the average cost of experts and reports by 20 per cent, Eby said.

“Given this situation, we are looking for ways to accelerate and add to our efforts to solve the financial problems at ICBC. Earlier this year, our government announced a suite of product changes to stem ICBC’s losses, provide enhanced care for people injured in crashes and to make insurance rates fairer,” Eby said.

Eby said those changes are expected to bring in $1 billion in savings annually but won’t start until the reforms take effect on April 1, 2019.

In August, Eby announced proposed changes to auto insurance rates that would give about 39 per cent of drivers a reduction up to $50, 13 per cent between $50 and $100, and 15 per cent more than $100. Meantime, 11 per cent face increases up to $50, five per cent between $50 and $100, and 17 per cent more than $100.

The proposed changes would move ICBC’s basic insurance to a “driver-based model,” where at-fault crashes are tied to drivers rather than vehicle owners. New discounts would be given for new vehicles with manufacturer-installed automatic braking systems or which are driven less than 5,000 kilometres a year.

The government will also put a $5,500 cap next year on payouts for what it calls minor injuries.
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:43 PM   #125
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
That article missed that ICBC will be applying for a rate increase and you can bet it will be a big one.

“The growing claims costs pressures ICBC is facing will also need to be addressed with the next basic rate application which is due with the British Columbia Utilities Commission by Dec. 15.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/4693181/i...expected-rise/

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote