REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-26-2020, 07:36 AM   #4176
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
If that who Derek Cain is, I’d say he’s being polite, and explaining the situation in an appropriate manor. He also is absolutely correct about certified and engineered parts and 99% of what we buy says “for off-road use only”.

I think it’s only fair that if evidence comes up of him not being a total cuck, we acknowledge it
When a manufacture labels something "off road use only" they are generally doing it because they don't or wont pass California CARB, or they want to avoid lawsuits. However those statements (again unless we are talking CARB) are from the manufacture, not some Canadian Government group. Even with that printed on the box, it dosen't mean thats a legal statement from any Government body in Canada, or that its actually illegal to use on the road.
Advertisement

Last edited by 91civicZC; 02-26-2020 at 08:04 AM.
91civicZC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2020, 08:11 AM   #4177
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
'off road use' also suggests it has not been crash-tested so a VI might be quite reasonable

if it happened in the US they could not only justify impounding it but ultimately send your vehicle to the crusher
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:18 AM   #4178
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
can't that be said for all of those aftermarket parts people are putting for their vanlife wagons/4x4's? I rarely see those getting pulled over or being posted on VI sites.

I always see the 4runner on broadway near mec with his shovel and jerry can at the back of the car. I'm sure that's more dangerous than a muffler with a higher db count if i were to rear end any of them.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:51 AM   #4179
RS controls my life!

Would love to know what the thoughts are of Cain and co in regards to local muffler shops since none of their work or components are technically road legal using his logic.
jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2020, 10:38 AM   #4180
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,532 Times in 1,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
A VI is not a tool for punishment, it's to ensure the safety of the public. This is a great example of how they are abusing the system.
Unfortunately, the OP didn't get a VI. He got an unnecessary noise ticket, worth about 3 points. Fortunately, you can dispute those.
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:42 AM   #4181
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
Unfortunately, the OP didn't get a VI. He got an unnecessary noise ticket, worth about 3 points. Fortunately, you can dispute those.
Know of someone who's successfully disputed an unnecessary noise ticket? I'd be curious to know what their argument was that helped them win the case.
SSM_DC5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:00 AM   #4182
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,682 Times in 3,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
drive an EV keep it stock /thread
Fuck no
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:16 AM   #4183
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Snip3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 02:00 PM   #4184

Thanked 4,532 Times in 1,519 Posts
My friend just got BOX 2 VI'D in a 100% COMPLETELY STOCK FR-S. It was for DRLs, but they were on. He also received a $109 ticket for driving without DRLs. They tried to do the exhaust test, but stock 4 banger is too quiet LOL. As per my friend, they refused to let him off without a ticket.

My suspicion is that he was targeted because "sports car", but they couldn't find anything wrong with it so they had to give him something, which was DRL.

VI happened at 7000 Granville St. I'll post pics of the car as is, N&O + ticket, and video of the incident shortly.

Edit: Only thing not "stock" is plate relocation LOL. Friend was changing lanes, then he got pulled over. On a factory FR-S when the turn signal is on, it turns off the DRLs. When he pulled over, he put the handbrake up (because it's manual - no P) which also turns off the DRLs. Handbrake was also up when he was asked to rev (he was in neutral obviously).

Edit 2:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollface View Post
Those are after market headlights that you need to re-pin to have them work, they appear to have a turn signal.

That foglight is aftermarket and there is a turn signal light above it that's been removed/blacked with plastic dip where your normal turn signal would be.

|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||

Last edited by BIC_BAWS; 02-26-2020 at 06:21 PM.
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 02:41 PM   #4185
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 3,066 Times in 548 Posts
Quote:
Friend was changing lanes, then he got pulled over. On a factory FR-S when the turn signal is on, it turns off the DRLs.
??? then by this logic, Cain & co should be pulling over pretty much every FCA vehicle because they do this from factory! There's also a bunch of newer Infiniti cars that do this as well.

This is just blatant discrimination against sports cars now.
vexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 02:43 PM   #4186

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
Quote:
Only thing not "stock" is plate relocation LOL. Friend was changing lanes, then he got pulled over. On a factory FR-S when the turn signal is on, it turns off the DRLs. When he pulled over, he put the handbrake up (because it's manual - no P) which also turns off the DRLs. Handbrake was also up when he was asked to rev (he was in neutral obviously).
100% shameless and disgusting profiling by the officers.

FMVSS/CMVSS 108 states that if the DRL is too close to the direction indicator, the DRLs need to be disabled during indicating. Might as well pull over every single FCA or Hyundai or etc. etc. on the street and give them no DRL tickets.

Who am I kidding, wouldn't expect in a million years VPD Traffic Division would have ever heard of CMVSS since they aren't even aware of what the MVA consists of.

This kind of behaviour is the kind of shit that got the OPCC now investigating Constable Lee Buckingham for abuse of power. I guess Stringer wants in on some OPCC action too.

Quote:
Lighting Systems and Reflective Devices (Standard 108)
Passenger Cars, Multi-purpose Passenger Vehicles, Trucks, Trailers and Buses TSD 108 rev. 5
TSD 108 rev. 6

Switching — Daytime Running Lamps
(28) Subject to subsections (29) and (30), the daytime running lamps on a vehicle shall be activated not later than when the vehicle is set in motion under its own power and shall remain activated until the motors or engines used for the vehicle’s propulsion are switched off and as a result the vehicle enters a mode of operation other than “accessory” or “on”.

(29) The daytime running lamps on a vehicle shall

(a) be deactivated while the lower beam headlamps are activated to provide road illumination;

(b) beginning on September 1, 2020, be deactivated while the front fog lamps provide road illumination after being activated by the driver; and

(c) if they also serve as front turn signal lamps,

(i) be deactivated on the side of the vehicle where a turn signal is activated, while that turn signal is activated, and

(ii) be deactivated on both sides of the vehicle while the hazard warning signal is activated.

(30) The daytime running lamps on a vehicle may be

(a) deactivated while the parking brake is applied or the transmission control is in the park or neutral position and the vehicle is not in motion;

(b) deactivated while the headlamps are being flashed for signalling purposes;

(c) switched off manually, in which case they shall reactivate automatically, at the discretion of the manufacturer, either not later than when the vehicle travels more than 100 m or when the speed of the vehicle exceeds 10 km/h; and

(d) wired to flash for signalling purposes.
Abuse of power? Abuse of power. Smells like fucking garbage to me. VPD never ceases to continuously demonstrate their incompetence to the local community. It's embarrassing really.
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back

Last edited by Akinari; 02-26-2020 at 02:52 PM.
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2020, 03:20 PM   #4187
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
Just a note if someone were to mention that those are aftermarket headlights which may function differently than oem.,Spec-D headlights on the FRS are DOT approved and street legal -> https://shop.redline360.com/products...lhp-frs12jm-tm

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2020, 03:32 PM   #4188
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Revscene's IG story just indicated they got a box 2 with a stock M4 they're testing that's a press car lol...
Cwift is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2020, 03:35 PM   #4189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwift View Post
Revscene's IG story just indicated they got a box 2 with a stock M4 they're testing that's a press car lol...
Just saw that... Clearly any doubters can see the issue now
Old 02-26-2020, 03:41 PM   #4190
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,276 Times in 1,967 Posts
Geeze, it's almost like they're enjoying themselves. They must have raging clues when they pull someone over...

GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2020, 03:43 PM   #4191
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,433 Times in 5,107 Posts
Wow that's crazy... he didn't argue / show the guy the DRL's are on though?! He better have gotten the whole thing on video... people need to not get caught up in the moment and protect themselves...

So funny my Mister2 has collector plates on it for fuck's sake.... but I guarantee if I get spotted by these guys that I'm done, even though it complies fully with ICBC's requirements for collector plates (lowered 1", non stock exhaust replaced with a stainless steel one of equivalent look/function).
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 03:44 PM   #4192
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
I’m starting to wonder if they are attempting the same tactic I use to do as a child. Do a chore so badly your parents don’t ask you to do it again. Maybe he’s trying to get out of the traffic department. Lol. I learned it takes Perseverance and consistency. NEVER show you CAN do the proper job and you will succeed. Cain, I believe in you!
This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2020, 03:45 PM   #4193
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts

Old 02-26-2020, 03:59 PM   #4194
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,184 Times in 358 Posts
^for context, it looks like he got a VI on a press car

Past:
- '09 Ducati Monster 696 "Ketchup"
- '20 Dodge Charger R/T 5.7
- '20 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
- '04 Acura TL 6MT
- 🛴 Lime Scooter 🛴
- '19 Toyota Camry LE
- '16 Golf 1.8T
- '09 MB E63 AMG
- '06 Honda Accord V6
AstulzerRZD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 04:01 PM   #4195
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
'off road use' also suggests it has not been crash-tested so a VI might be quite reasonable

if it happened in the US they could not only justify impounding it but ultimately send your vehicle to the crusher
complete BS.

What about parts that don't come in a box that says "off road use only", so those are automatically legal?

That label has NOTHING to do with legality
coupelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 04:09 PM   #4196

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstulzerRZD View Post
It is.

So I had this exact car late last year and it is fully loaded with the Ultimate Package which adds the active sports exhaust. I'm not sure how this is going to go down with BMW Canada and if they'll stop putting sports cars in their fleet because of this. Up to today, the worst news I've heard about police and press vehicles was that one press vehicle had to get towed because it didn't have a front plate... even though it had a manufacturer Ontario plate on the back.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:12 PM   #4197

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexor View Post
It is.

So I had this exact car late last year and it is fully loaded with the Ultimate Package which adds the active sports exhaust. I'm not sure how this is going to go down with BMW Canada and if they'll stop putting sports cars in their fleet because of this. Up to today, the worst news I've heard about police and press vehicles was that one press vehicle had to get towed because it didn't have a front plate... even though it had a manufacturer Ontario plate on the back.
Does Ontario issue two plates or just one? In AB/SK they only have rear plates. When I was a student with SK plates I got pulled over once a week for not having a front plate.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:15 PM   #4198
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstulzerRZD View Post
If they say take it to the BMW dealer won't any BMW dealer laugh and instantly pass it?
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 04:21 PM   #4199
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
A member on the alive, thrive and survive fb group spoke to a lawyer and said you legally don’t have to rev your engine for the dB test. The officer needs a warrant to do that but at least you won’t get a ticket for unnecessary noise. The officer will still probably give you a VI for not complying if you decide to make that decision
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2020, 04:22 PM   #4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip3r View Post
Does Ontario issue two plates or just one? In AB/SK they only have rear plates. When I was a student with SK plates I got pulled over once a week for not having a front plate.
I'm not sure. I always thought it was front & back but it may be different with a manufacturer plate??