REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-06-2018, 11:40 AM   #26
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,568 Times in 1,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4doorVIP View Post
this is a working class neighborhood

it really sounds like mikemhg doesn't like white people... if i'm wrong about that letmeknowsa
No, I don't hate white people. I'm half Irish myself.

But anytime I hear white folks yelling "go back to where you came from", my ears perk up, alright?

What I hate is prejudice and hypocrisy, which that community clearly carries. The Son's of Odin are a racist group, you have a community of people supporting those clowns, and I'm the racist?

I just found it quite ironic to watch these skid looking teenagers and adults yelling at "crackheads" when meanwhile you know damn well these guys abuse the same or similar drugs (Percs, Oxys, Coke, etc), and could easily be one job loss, one layoff away to be sitting in the same position of those "crackheads" they so vehemently show complete disdain and hate for.

It's so easy to get caught up in the crowd mentality, if those police weren't there, there would surely have been violence. You think that's rational?
Advertisement
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2018, 11:56 AM   #27
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post

What I hate is prejudice and hypocrisy
lol
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2018, 12:50 PM   #28
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Quote:

it really sounds like mikemhg doesn't like white people... if i'm wrong about that letmeknowsa
So, in your view,

"working class neighborhood" = anti-immigrant hate groups?

The irony is that the majority of these homeless squatters are Indigenous. The only people, in my mind, who are justified in telling people to "go back where you came from"...
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2018, 12:52 PM   #29
I subscribe to Revscene

Westerners are generally classless uneducated cogs manipulated by the finest tuned propaganda machine.
Shelter is a human right but in the west you have to work most of your life to have a roof over your head. Those teen clowns in the video could escape the rat race life in their adult years if such a building housed them but their faith or their childrens atleast will be modeled around the UK's subsidized housing where people are throwing acid on each-others face to steal mopeds.
People think housing prices went up when in fact the Canadian currency lost 2/3's of its value this way.
Not only is everyone a slave cog but western nations practice a system of subtle apartheid (most obvious in the US with Blacks and indigenous) where you have groups of people in destitute which get stigmatized by the upper class slaves as the source of their problems.
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-06-2018, 01:10 PM   #30
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
A good chunk of the natives on the DTES are clearly choosing to be there. They almost certainly have options to get out of that situation whether it be obtaining their handouts on a reserve or going through the additional resources provided to natives in those types of scenarios.

This isn’t a matter of a guy tweaking on heroin falling into the street. There are groups of people laying in lawn chairs playing on their phones with cases of beer beside them right down from insight. I’ve seen it daily.

Sorry but if you’re just chilling in a lawn chair drinking beer and playing on your iPhone 6, it’s an issue of want, not need.
I agree. There are people who actively taking advantages of government's and NGOs' resources to get out of a bad situation. I've worked with some of those as a volunteer. And then there are people who just enjoy the "lifestyle" in a fucked up way.

DTES is a lawless dumpster. VPD maintains some sort of order there but try driving through there anytime. 30km/h? Try 10-20. There are people walking randomly in the middle of the street. You gotta drive dead slow unless you want to run over people. Not to mention the actual human poop in the parkades' staircase.

The government need to clean up that area somehow, before another generation of them grow root there.

Last edited by Nlkko; 10-06-2018 at 01:16 PM.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 02:47 PM   #31
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,814 Times in 8,189 Posts
Quote:

His comment had nothing to do with race (unless WASP or "Sons of Odin" stands for something? I don't know), but the way those people were acting. Working class? Sure. But also morons and goofballs. Generally "simple" people, which is fine if you're into that, but some people wouldn't fit in there. The live video in particular had middle aged men and women acting like children and high school thugs. I wouldn't want to move there either (and I am FROM there )
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2018, 02:49 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
Here's your other options:
1.Give them more free shit.
2.Throw them in jail

They're complaining about not being able to squat in tents. Give them what they want,but away from the public.
Trust me, it's not going to grow rapidly like you think. The majority of society already understands that they can live like shit. They just choose not to.

No one is forcing them to live in tents.
Believe me, word would spread quickly, and this tent city would become a Canada-wide (and beyond!) destination for the homeless. And that would attract junkies and criminals as well, who will be going into the city for what? drugs and crime

NIMBY will never work. You need a better solution than that, or "throwing them in jail"
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2018, 02:55 PM   #33
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Believe me, word would spread quickly, and this tent city would become a Canada-wide (and beyond!) destination for the homeless.
not once greyhound stops running.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:58 PM   #34
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
His comment had nothing to do with race (unless WASP or "Sons of Odin" stands for something? I don't know), but the way those people were acting. Working class? Sure. But also morons and goofballs. Generally "simple" people, which is fine if you're into that, but some people wouldn't fit in there. The live video in particular had middle aged men and women acting like children and high school thugs. I wouldn't want to move there either (and I am FROM there )

It had everything to do with race

WASP = White Anglo-Saxon Protestants (WASPs) are a social group of wealthy and well-connected white Americans of Protestant and predominantly British ancestry, many of whom trace their ancestry to the American colonial period.

Being half white doesn't give you a pass I'm sorry
4doorVIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 03:01 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Loc View Post
So, in your view,

The irony is that the majority of these homeless squatters are Indigenous. The only people, in my mind, who are justified in telling people to "go back where you came from"...
Fuck the SOO and fuck any racist.

People were yelling go back to where you came from because many of these people are paid protesters from the mainland who organize rallies like this for a living.

You do not know any of these citizens or anything about this town, don't assume. Tax payers in Nanaimo are getting fed up with this behavior
Old 10-06-2018, 03:11 PM   #36
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
On a side note, I appreciate that video posting though. My girlfriend and I have contemplated moving to the Island or Sunshine Coast for years now, looking at the demographic of that crowd, it surely won't be Nanaimo.

Definitely get why it's called the Surrey of VI. Looks full of trashy WASPs. Having the Son's of Odin there just put the cherry on top. It's kind of ironic that they don't want these homeless people in their neighborhood, meanwhile I'd hate having any of those people in mine, perspective is everything.
That's my neighborhood. The school is less than 5 minutes from my house. People are sick and tired all the drugs and theft at the current homeless camp down town. The mall close by had to hire extra security because of all the shop lifting.

Sons of odin are a joke and leader is not even from Nanaimo he is from Duncan.

The cops come in today and removed all the people squatting.
Old 10-06-2018, 03:21 PM   #37

Quote:
So, in your view,

the majority of these squatters are brainwashed college students
https://twitter.com/stopdisplacemnt
Old 10-06-2018, 03:32 PM   #38
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
So shove them into a corner and try to forget about them.. until that little campground grows and grows into its own skid row, and starts encroaching on the city again
Just do what Trump suggests and build a wall around it
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 04:37 PM   #39
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
So, in your view,

What makes it justified for them to do it? Because of what happened 600+ years ago?

I was born here, you were probably born here, most Canadians were born here ... where exactly are non-indigenous Canadians supposed to go "back to" ???
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2018, 05:05 PM   #40
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
What makes it justified for them to do it? Because of what happened 600+ years ago?

I was born here, you were probably born here, most Canadians were born here ... where exactly are non-indigenous Canadians supposed to go "back to" ???
Just because they are justified doesn't mean they are correct.

But they are more justified than the hicks who have lived in Canada for 4+ generations and still can't move past working for minimum wage yet blames "immigrants" for "taking our jobs".

The last residential school closed in 1996. Canada's history regarding the negative treatment of Indigenous people wasn't so long ago.

Your second point summarizes the tensions today between "the rest of us" and Indigenous people. While there are plenty of people still alive today who lived through the injustices perpetuated by our country - and they are justified in being bitter about it - there are significantly more people who played no role in "colonization", let alone were even aware of what was going on.

Personally I don't know who is right and who is wrong. But I think it is important to realize that, similar to African-Americans in the USA, not too long ago they were considered to be second-class citizens in the eyes of the law...

Last edited by Tone Loc; 10-06-2018 at 05:14 PM.
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2018, 05:40 PM   #41
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
Get over it.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:09 PM   #42

Quote:
It had everything to do with race

WASP = White Anglo-Saxon Protestants (WASPs) are a social group of wealthy and well-connected white Americans of Protestant and predominantly British ancestry, many of whom trace their ancestry to the American colonial period.

Being half white doesn't give you a pass I'm sorry
TBH it's the first thing I noticed when I tuned in as well... And I think his issue is that the people were trashy, not that they were white.

You guys seem to have the opposite definition of WASP as well, so I don't even know what the intention is there.

It seems pointless to mention their race. I'd say pointless but not "racist". I am trying to think of a similar situation I'd use.. For instance I often complain about the South Asian dudes trying to sell me fake shit, weed and suits whenever I go to TST. Like I will be asked literally more than a dozen times if I walk down Nathan road. If I was south asian (or really anything but white) I doubt they would ever say a word to me. But my complaint isn't that they are south asian, or dudes, it's that they are annoying. But I'd still describe them as annoying south asian dudes, so... I guess I can see where he's coming from.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2018, 06:53 PM   #43

Good post from a local resident campaigning for city council, I hope this will shed some light to anyone blindly shitting on this community:

For those who are concerned about the Rutherford School takeover, I completely understand and am very concerned as well. I would like to help provide some clarity and a voice of reason for those who may not be aware of underlying circumstances around this - for those who consider the homeless or the police to be at fault for this new situation which in reality has been imposed upon our community by alt-left extremists.

These are not actions of the homeless; the Rutherford School takeover was initiated by the alt-left activist group “Alliance Against Displacement” (AAD), and they do not represent the homeless here, just as the alt-right activist group “Soldiers of Odin” (SOO) do not represent our community. The AAD is filling the void where others are not speaking on behalf of the homeless, who have no voice. The SOO is filling the void where the community is understandably angered around how things are proceeding and feel they have no voice.

Both of these extremist groups are only helping to unravel the forward progress that has been made towards better understanding what homeless is and isn’t, and they are pitching the community against each other.

This is not helpful, it is very detrimental. The fact is, that the stigma around homelessness is so strong, that many don’t even place weight into the fact that many are one paycheck away from being on the streets. Over 48% of renters in Nanaimo are paying more than they can afford towards rent. This is a serious problem.

In other words, the stigma is delaying forward progress. It’s not all about people looking for handouts, or about people who are addicted and resort to crime to feed their habit, or those with mental disabilities who require significant support systems in order to be able to function in positive ways that benefit themselves and society. It’s about the big picture - a complex issue that many people face for many different reasons.

The homeless have not taken over Rutherford School. The homeless are not the root cause of what has went wrong with tent city and continues to escalate. An extremist group has caused this, and they are also the ones who are providing the oversight for our tent city – due to the absence of the city providing oversight.

This is why we need strong leadership to help things move forward in proactive ways instead of focusing on being reactive. Please help support the real solutions – the real solutions do not involve taking over schools or other community spaces, and they do not involve dispersing the homeless onto the streets and into the parks.

The real solutions involve hard work, effort, and commitment within leadership and the community to help support and encourage the work being done by the many professional organizations that are assisting towards this measure - towards the immediate problems, and the root problems themselves.

We can and will get through this as a community, and it will happen much faster if we all work together.

https://www.facebook.com/VotePeterUr...c_location=ufi
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2018, 07:17 PM   #44

RCMP confirm they were protesters; not from here, and were from the mainland

"go back where you came from" chant was directed to the professional cry babies like mikey boy

https://globalnews.ca/news/4523704/n...source=980CKNW

“None of the people that are inside that building today are homeless people in Nanaimo. They’re all activists that have come over from the mainland, and this is what they do,” he said."
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-06-2018, 08:23 PM   #45
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
damn Mainlanders
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2018, 09:20 PM   #46
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
No one wants the current situation. If I could pay another $500 a year on my property taxes and that would ensure it would eliminate homelessness, by all means.

But the government is too complicated and too bloated to ever work out a solution where you could trust their judgement.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:54 AM   #47
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Pics from inside the school. A bunch of damage was done.

More here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
Old 10-08-2018, 02:12 AM   #48
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Estimated $100k in damage to be footed by the taxpayers; money that could've gone to ... actually helping homeless people. Instead the usual damage property and drain taxpayer money in the name of homeless advocacy while destroying any chance of positive PR that may actually swing public support to see the homeless as anything other than a bane. Which is really sad, most homeless people really need help (drug addiction, mental health issues, physical disabilities) but it seems like they've become a political pawn for some of these advocacy groups rather than the benefactor.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:19 AM   #49

Never been an IV drug user, but do they really use insulin needles for IV? Those needles are like 1.2cm long and 28G, very thin, kind of flat, intended for subcutaneous and intramuscular use

I guess a junkie wouldn't care, but can't they get needles for free? And how many of these 1 protesters junkies I wonder, where they needed a whole box to stay for one or two days?
Old 10-08-2018, 09:21 AM   #50
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
dumb fucks from the start,why aren't they throwing every single one in jail.

won't be surprised if community members who want to keep their area safe start getting pay back with street justice.