REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-06-2018, 07:36 PM   #26
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I dunno, I kinda agree with slower speeds on the S2S

the uphill curves after Squamish on a clear summer evening I along with another vehicle had tire blow outs from a football-sized rock...can't speak for the other vehicle but I was doing 100kph speed limit and eyes firmly on the road...by the time I saw it I thought it was a water bottle but in the split second decided it was safer running over it instead of swerving...not exactly a fun or safe place to swap tires in pitch black (good thing I had LED flares in my wheel well)

tl;dr there's tons of sweeping curves and you know in the winter people will attempt them near 100km/h with bald/summer tires...if this cuts down on the accidents and the subsequent bottlenecks, i'd rather get to my destination 5-10 minutes slower than have one evening where I get home 2 hrs later

but maybe keep the straightways at 100km/h or more

people who live in Squampton...too bad so sad
Advertisement
R1CED` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:07 PM   #27
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 2,300 Times in 556 Posts
Oh hey, look at that. The news is simply reporting the NDP cash-grab press release instead of researching the facts. If you forget anything else, remember this chart going forward. "Speed above posted limit" doesn't even fall in top 10 factors on provincial highways.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Accidents-BCHighways.jpg (87.0 KB, 0 views)
CCA-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2018, 08:21 PM   #28
Need my Daily Fix of RS

^ road condition, driving too fast, weather, road kills totals to 22% and is related to the speed though...and at 100 and 90 in curves on improper tires then yeah...explains all the vehicles in the ditch and that dreaded red line that goes on for miles on the google maps

I for one think there should be more speed traps at Lions Bay and Britannia....most are blowing through 30-40+ over

Last edited by R1CED`; 11-06-2018 at 08:28 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:03 PM   #29
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 2,300 Times in 556 Posts
Related to the speed, not related to the speed limit. The maximum speed limit is based on ideal conditions, if you're trying to travel the speed limit in the winter on a cold wet night in the fog, the issue is not the speed limit, it's the speed you're traveling.

Reducing the speed limit due to increased traffic accidents implies that the CAUSE of those accidents was the speed limit set too high for the road design, which in none of the cases is proven true by the accident reports.
CCA-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2018, 09:09 PM   #30
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCA-Dave View Post
The maximum speed limit is based on ideal conditions, if you're trying to travel the speed limit in the winter on a cold wet night in the fog, the issue is not the speed limit, it's the speed you're traveling.
agreed, but the majority will still carry their usual speed even in deteriorating condition

it's like drivers in Quebec, they'll do 90 on a sunny day in July and 90 in a snowstorm in Feb but at least they're on proper tires

maybe have more digital/dynamic speed limits...even if someone on page one says they're not always set to conditions
Old 11-06-2018, 09:54 PM   #31
My homepage has been set to RS

people speed in these highway
nothing changed
danned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:18 AM   #32
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Fuck me. I thought we were finally getting somewhere. 2 steps forward, 3 steps backwards.

And they still haven't addressed raising the speed limit through Lions bay, where a highway inexplicably dips to 60km/h despite the fact that the road construction/engineering doesn't change whatsoever.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-07-2018, 07:32 AM   #33
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,184 Times in 358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Fuck me. I thought we were finally getting somewhere. 2 steps forward, 3 steps backwards.

And they still haven't addressed raising the speed limit through Lions bay, where a highway inexplicably dips to 60km/h despite the fact that the road construction/engineering doesn't change whatsoever.
AFAIK, Lions Bay was pretty opposed to the highway expansion... their section of the S2S actually got some special asphalt that reduces noise
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-07-2018, 07:43 AM   #34
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post

That's because every weekend in the summer, some idiot biker rides beyond his limits and crashes.. Literally every weekend. I haven't ridden the S2S in a long time, its slow, congested, and tonnes of speedtraps. I'd rather hit up some slower curved backroads.. Ill keep my speeds to the track.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:07 AM   #35
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1CED` View Post
not exactly a fun or safe place to swap tires in pitch black (good thing I had LED flares in my wheel well)
Your post had me thinking about the road after dark, and you're right, it's dark from Squamish to Whistler. I know the road so well, I could draw you a map based on memory, but I tend to go a lot slower on that stretch after dark. Imagine the tourists and out of town folk who aren't familiar with the road.

It's a funny place to drive though. Kind of like Mulholland Drive in LA, where you have a huge difference between the local residents who have been driving those roads for years, and the tourists who just want to see the views. I was doing 35mph on Mulholland a few weeks ago, and was being tailgated by a Bentley GT. The speed limit is 25mph, btw. Same goes for the S2S. What's worse is when you're driving behind someone in the single lane and the minute it splits into two lanes, they hit the throttle. Fuking Albertans..... But I digress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstulzerRZD View Post
AFAIK, Lions Bay was pretty opposed to the highway expansion... their section of the S2S actually got some special asphalt that reduces noise
Lion's Bay is also one of the wealthiest postal codes in the country. Lots of powerful people call Lion's Bay home, and if that speed limit isn't an indication of the 1% taking advantage of their place in life, then I don't know what is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon-88 View Post
I haven't ridden the S2S in a long time, its slow, congested, and tonnes of speedtraps.
This is where I disagree with you. Peak hours, sure. The S2S is a shitshow.
But I've had so many nice 8pm drives to the condo, where I set my adaptive cruise to 100kmh, and simply focus on the curves. It's a beautiful highway, ruined by driver's lack of skill, confidence, or an abundance of ego.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-07-2018, 09:34 AM   #36
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,918 Times in 3,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
120km/h on the connector is as fucking safe as you can get, and lowering it to 110 makes absolutely no difference.
It's especially pointless when a) most vehicles can't even do 110 along most of it and b) in good conditions you can easily do well over 120 along the connector and lower Coq (with a few exceptions) without issue. Or so I've been told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1CED` View Post
^ road condition, driving too fast, weather, road kills totals to 22% and is related to the speed though..
Related to speed, but not to the speed limit. If the speed limit is 120, but the conditions are crap and you should be going 50, but you instead go 70 and crash, the cause of the accident was your speed but you were not exceeding the speed limit.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:42 AM   #37
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,532 Times in 1,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
What's worse is when you're driving behind someone in the single lane and the minute it splits into two lanes, they hit the throttle. Fuking Albertans..... But I digress.

That's when you double downshift and pass those fucks. But then you'd be passing on the right.

Quote:
But I've had so many nice 8pm drives to the condo, where I set my adaptive cruise to 100kmh, and simply focus on the curves. It's a beautiful highway, ruined by driver's lack of skill, confidence, or an abundance of ego.

Cruise control scares the shit outta me. Isn't it known to not use cruise control on curves (and rain)? Or is that a myth?
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:07 AM   #38
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
That's when you double downshift and pass those fucks. But then you'd be passing on the right.
And you know the fat girl from Canmore would be gunning her Sunfire as I pull up on her left.

Quote:
Cruise control scares the shit outta me. Isn't it known to not use cruise control on curves (and rain)? Or is that a myth?
Maybe plebeian cruise may not work in those scenarios, but us fancy folk have sonars and radars to go with our RRSP's and cabins at the lake.

originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-07-2018, 10:20 AM   #39
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

They already have variable speed limit on certain sections of the S2S, isn't that good enough?

Here's an interesting read:
Did BC?s speed limit increase lead to more deaths? | Sustainable Transportation Lab

From the article:
Quote:
Table 4 in the paper shows that observed speeds at traffic count stations on the affected segments (where speed limits increased) increased by less than the observed speeds on non-affected segments. This is true for mean, median, and 85th percentile speeds, and it seems inconsistent with a theory that the increase in speed limits led to higher actual travel speeds and therefore to more adverse outcomes.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:28 AM   #40
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
This comment from Reddit pretty much sums it up:
  • The stats for the study came after 2 of the worst snow winters in decades.
  • They counted crashes not directly on the highways, but on neighboring streets off the highway as well.
  • They used gasoline sales in the area as the measure of traffic (despite there being automated count and speed stations).

Quote:
Average speeds actually went down after the change due to abnormal winters. Raising the speed limits in 2014 came with zero real-world effect - because that's the speed most everyone was driving since 2004!!! How can they claim that raising the speed limits raised the collision numbers when the real-world travel speeds stayed the same or went down?
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 12:04 PM   #41
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
Quote:
Your post had me thinking about the road after dark, and you're right, it's dark from Squamish to Whistler. I know the road so well, I could draw you a map based on memory, but I tend to go a lot slower on that stretch after dark. Imagine the tourists and out of town folk who aren't familiar with the road.

It's a funny place to drive though. Kind of like Mulholland Drive in LA, where you have a huge difference between the local residents who have been driving those roads for years, and the tourists who just want to see the views. I was doing 35mph on Mulholland a few weeks ago, and was being tailgated by a Bentley GT. The speed limit is 25mph, btw. Same goes for the S2S. What's worse is when you're driving behind someone in the single lane and the minute it splits into two lanes, they hit the throttle. Fuking Albertans..... But I digress.

Lion's Bay is also one of the wealthiest postal codes in the country. Lots of powerful people call Lion's Bay home, and if that speed limit isn't an indication of the 1% taking advantage of their place in life, then I don't know what is.

This is where I disagree with you. Peak hours, sure. The S2S is a shitshow.
Yes I agree during the Peak hours. But the speed traps i've seen all throughout the day.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote