REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-11-2018, 07:03 AM   #26
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,512 Times in 4,904 Posts
Which brings up another point. How many drivers check the treads on their tires? They put on snows thinking it's a magical ticket to successful winter driving.
Advertisement
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2018, 07:32 AM   #27
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
how about only Winter tires at the front for FWD cars? or only at the rear for RWD

I've done this, it was not fun LOL.

10 y/o Pilot PSS in the front and 10 y/o Nokian WRG3 in the back.

10/10 would not recommend. Like I said earlier, stopping is much more important. I never spun out, but it was also understeer all day every day.

100% do not do this. I only did because I thought my set of WRG3 (4) was good, but it turns out a pair was broken and I was too broke to buy winters.
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:41 AM   #28
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Theres a whole thread called Winter Tires for Grown Ups. Maybe you should check in there.

Berz out.
Merge this thread into that one maybe?
Old 11-11-2018, 08:45 AM   #29
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,415 Times in 5,097 Posts
Only on the front for FWD works pretty good... obviously not the case for just the rears on a rear wheel drive though lol
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:20 AM   #30
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,180 Times in 354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafine View Post
Have these Nordman WR on the accord right now as they came with the car and gf complained that they slipped twice already this week, once at night in the rain and once in the morning in the rain.
Although i'm not sure if it slipped due to the tires or her speed, she claimed she was going slow and driving extra cautious since its raining- but if it's a driver error then i dont know if winter's would provide better rain traction.

Thoughts?
Can't actually comment on this personally since Ontario doesn't get much snow. Ran the WRs on Kia Soul/Rio. The weakness I noticed was on braking in deep deep snow.

KalTire does seem to note they're a bit weaker in the wet braking department. https://www.kaltire.com/en/tires/nor...ml#testResults

The new WRG4 version (the WR is basically WRG2) seems to do much better in wet braking: https://www.kaltire.com/en/tires/wrg...ml#testResults
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:44 AM   #31
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafine View Post
Have these Nordman WR on the accord right now as they came with the car and gf complained that they slipped twice already this week, once at night in the rain and once in the morning in the rain.
Although i'm not sure if it slipped due to the tires or her speed, she claimed she was going slow and driving extra cautious since its raining- but if it's a driver error then i dont know if winter's would provide better rain traction.

Thoughts?
Snow tires are actually the worst type of tire for grip in rain/wet conditions. There’s a very thorough video explanation of this on YouTube detailing this I’ll try to find.

Here you go:
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2018, 10:00 AM   #32
HELP ME PLS!!!

The video did not cover low temperatures outside of freezing.The numbers for the snow tires in the wet were at summer temperatures.

Vancouver temperatures are seeing a high of 11C, I think snow tires work best at 7C or lower. Right now, it's best to keep the all seasons on IMO. I used to work at Kal Tire.

https://www.cooperators.ca/en/Answer...intenance.aspx

"When your tires are worn down below 4 mm (5/32”) of tread depth, they shouldn’t be used on snow-covered roads. The grooves in worn tires are shallower, which reduces your wet-braking traction and increases stopping distance."

Last edited by DragonChi; 11-11-2018 at 10:09 AM.
DragonChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:03 AM   #33
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,260 Times in 1,966 Posts
I'd buy snow tires for the Canada Line if I could

GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2018, 10:06 AM   #34

Thanked 4,066 Times in 1,252 Posts
maybe she hit a pile of leaves or a slippery patch?

I drove on winters till it got to 15c last spring, it was fine. It gets a bit sticky when its hot but racecar

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:35 AM   #35
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,907 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
I don't trust having work done at Canadian Tire. Bunch of crooks.
The amount of crap they tried to add the last time I bought tires there was crazy. Like charging me for nitrogen filling (which is a total scam anyways), even though I told them I wasn't getting the tires mounted by them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1CED` View Post
yep don't think i'll go Costco for tires any more
the cost savings aren't worth it for the zoo
6am line-ups doesn't work for me as is waiting over a week
Plan ahead and you can avoid it. Having your winters on dedicated rims takes up no more storage space than having them loose but your can swap them yourself whenever.

I like Costco for tires because they have the best coverage for road debris tire damage. I used to order tires online a lot but one non-repairable flat cancelled out any savings pretty fast.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:45 AM   #36
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
I used to have a set of winters that slipped badly on the tar they use to repair cracks in the road.. great traction everywhere else but man I’d almost lose control on that tar at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:50 AM   #37

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
do i buy winter tires?!...did you see those Chinese drivers crashing and Yelling at other drivers on Global BC News Going down a ice covered hill out of control?..
you can't be that stupid not to after witnessing that with a brand new car/suv being hammed with snow dumps and overnight freezing weather
Old 11-11-2018, 11:16 AM   #38
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,180 Times in 354 Posts
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:25 AM   #39
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I do have a set of winters because I want the best grip possible in summer, so I want summer tires in summer.

As for winter tires in rain... I personally am not too worried about it. My car has potato torque and as long as I don't floor it in 1st, it won't slip.

That said, I wish to find a more rain-focused winter tire next time around. I think I will avoid driving in snow here altogether. I am too afraid of the salt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post
do i buy winter tires?!...did you see those Chinese drivers crashing and Yelling at other drivers on Global BC News Going down a ice covered hill out of control?..
you can't be that stupid not to after witnessing that with a brand new car/suv being hammed with snow dumps and overnight freezing weather
It always amazes me how they can afford a 60k+ car but cheap out on tires.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:39 AM   #40
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,512 Times in 4,904 Posts
Or drivers answering their phones manually in a 70k+ car, because they're too stupid to learn how to pair their phones to the car's audio system.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:48 PM   #41
Performance Moderator

To be honest, Ive never owned snow tires and I’ve never had a problem in Vancouver or Burnaby or Surrey with a front wheel drive car... and with a SUV such as my dads Toyota Highlander it’s absolute overkill as long as your all seasons are in good shape. A tiny bit of technique and not driving normal speeds like an idiot thinking you can stop the same as regular weather is all you need for yourself driving wise. Outside the lower mainland its a different story of course.

And not sure what the comment about temperatures was for the video I posted if you actually watched it clearly outlined the optimal operating temperatures for each type of tire.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:55 PM   #42
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
It has to be pretty bad out for a FWD vehicle and a decent driver to have an issue imo.

To add to the Canadian tire BS, kind of a funny story..

I bought Steelers and snow tires separate for wife’s car a few years back and wanted them mounted ASAP so I went to Canadian tire on Lougheed and asked the guy working the counter. Typical CT run around and all these extras charging for valve stems etc it was gonna be like $175 to mount and balance 4 tires, I thought about it for a sec and said k fuck whatever sure.

He went out to the bay doors and opened them and as I was walking out to her car to pull it to the bay and unload the tires I had a change of heart lol..I got in the car and just drove right past him standing there and peace’d Out Lolol ducking CT
Old 11-11-2018, 04:14 PM   #43
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post

Plan ahead and you can avoid it.

I like Costco for tires because they have the best coverage for road debris tire damage. I used to order tires online a lot but one non-repairable flat cancelled out any savings pretty fast.
booked an appt to fix a flat

they moved it up 2 hrs, no biggie
dropped off my keys and they said it'll take 2 hours...kinda annoyed but ok
they end up taking 3 hours

even though i'm too lazy to do fix-a-flat kit in November, this was not worth my time

at Downtown Costco (Willingdon Costco even though they have crazy lines...things turnaround in about an hour)
R1CED` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:00 PM   #44
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,907 Times in 754 Posts
in any case, today was a stark reminder that your winters are gonna have to go on soon if you're gonna do it.. -1 temps, frozen water out of your downspouts.... yup...the cold is coming.
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:50 PM   #45
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
how about only Winter tires at the front for FWD cars? or only at the rear for RWD
As others have already said, it's not a good idea. You don't want your front or rear to have different, unpredictable traction because of different tires on your set up.

I hate it when I see craigslist ads with people selling only 2 snow tires. It's like spreading the danger to others that don't know any better. Sometimes when I'm bored, I troll them and ask them if it's for a motorcycle.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:15 PM   #46
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
And not sure what the comment about temperatures was for the video I posted if you actually watched it clearly outlined the optimal operating temperatures for each type of tire.
Currently, we are at that awkward period where the temp dips below 7 at night but stays above 7 in the morning. It's not feasible to do tire swaps daily, so I am sticking with winters.

As for having only 2 winter tires... If you have no choice and have to go through with this, remember to always mount the winter tires in the rear regardless of the drivetrain. The idea is that if you lose control, you will more likely have understeer versus oversteer, which is harder to correct(unless you are a pro drifter LOL).
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2018, 07:07 PM   #47
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Currently, we are at that awkward period where the temp dips below 7 at night but stays above 7 in the morning. It's not feasible to do tire swaps daily, so I am sticking with winters.

As for having only 2 winter tires... If you have no choice and have to go through with this, remember to always mount the winter tires in the rear regardless of the drivetrain. The idea is that if you lose control, you will more likely have understeer versus oversteer, which is harder to correct(unless you are a pro drifter LOL).
While that's true though, in a RWD, the steering and braking will be compromised, which in a sense, is even more important than worrying about the back end kicking out.

I know you said if you really have no choice, but maybe the best choice is to just not drive if you only have 2 snow tires in a RWD.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2018, 07:14 PM   #48
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Is tirerack still a good deal right now? with exchange rate and all

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:41 PM   #49
Performance Moderator

Only if you dodge the taxes really...
Old 11-11-2018, 08:14 PM   #50
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,907 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
It's not like driving around with winters on above 7*C is going to cause them to instantly fall to pieces. And besides, you're saving wear on your summer tires for when they're actually useful.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: