REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:54 AM   #1
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,944 Times in 333 Posts
Do you buy Winter Tires?

Hi everyone,

A colleague at work just got into an accident where she lost traction on a bend and "crashed" onto a sidewalk into some light bushes. She was close to work so she still came in, but our manager told her to take the day off.

I took a look at her car and i'm pretty sure she bent something as her tire seems like it's offset, but I looked at her tires and she is driving a Nissan Altima with all seasons and her tires look worn, maybe 20% of tread left...

Anyway, that got me thinking about buying new tires for the winter season.

Right now, I drive a AWD SUV and I have All season tires with M+S rating. I just did some light research and it seems M+S aren't as good as I thought they are, so i'm thinking of getting actual winter tires with the snowflake rating.

What are your thoughts on this, is getting stand alone winter tires always the safer option? The fact that I have AWD and M+S tires, is that good enough for our relatively mild winter.

When it comes to safety, my dad always says be safe, so cost isn't going to be an issue, I would rather be safer then not.

And is costco the best place to buy tires?

Your thoughts are appreciated!
Advertisement
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-10-2018, 12:09 PM   #2
Ricer Mod

Thanked 4,919 Times in 1,404 Posts
Theres a whole thread called Winter Tires for Grown Ups. Maybe you should check in there.

Berz out.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:10 PM   #3
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I had a top rated all seasons on my cars (General Altimax RT43, Michelin LTX M/S) that were basically new.

I decided a couple winters ago that I'd give a cheap set of winter tires a try. Ended up with a set of used Chinese Federal Himalaya WS2s on my FWD Accord.

Even though these were cheap, used, and a couple years old, the ability to actually stop and turn in snow, slush, and cold weather without wondering/worrying made me feel incredibly safe to the point that I took the Accord w/ cheapo winters over the AWD SUV on basically the best M+S tire available every day.

so tl;dr YES.

For those who don't want to run a dedicated set of winters, the all-weather (winter tires meant to be run all year round) market has exploded.

Top picks are Michelin CrossClimate+ (sold in Europe for many years, Costco has started carrying these in some locations) and Nokian WRG4.

Budget picks are Nordman WR, Toyo Celsius.

A milder option for SUVs is the BFGoodrich Advantage TA Sport LT.

Don't recommend Goodyear WeatherReady since they're not that great in the wet or snow.
AstulzerRZD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:13 PM   #4
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 9,539 Times in 2,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
Hi everyone,

A colleague at work just got into an accident where she lost traction on a bend and "crashed" onto a sidewalk into some light bushes. She was close to work so she still came in, but our manager told her to take the day off.

I took a look at her car and i'm pretty sure she bent something as her tire seems like it's offset, but I looked at her tires and she is driving a Nissan Altima with all seasons and her tires look worn, maybe 20% of tread left...

Anyway, that got me thinking about buying new tires for the winter season.

Right now, I drive a AWD SUV and I have All season tires with M+S rating. I just did some light research and it seems M+S aren't as good as I thought they are, so i'm thinking of getting actual winter tires with the snowflake rating.

What are your thoughts on this, is getting stand alone winter tires always the safer option? The fact that I have AWD and M+S tires, is that good enough for our relatively mild winter.

When it comes to safety, my dad always says be safe, so cost isn't going to be an issue, I would rather be safer then not.

And is costco the best place to buy tires?

Your thoughts are appreciated!
1. Can’t remember what store said this, but all season tires should be called “three season” tires and that couldn’t be more true. You can’t really explain to someone just how much better winter tires are in the winter, they just have to try it and see. I bought my dad his first set of winter tires last winter for his Altima (40 years of driving, never used them before) and he felt like an idiot for never had doing it before.

2. Simply put, no. The price at Costco may be comparable or less, but tire brands limited to the big 3 (plus subsidiaries) so not much selection, long wait times, busy as hell. Install might be cheaper than the average place but what’s your time worth. Also most other big places have comparable warranties now. I mean, If it wasn’t good then it wouldn’t be as busy as it is. But it depends what you want and when you want it.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:31 PM   #5
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,292 Times in 1,957 Posts
Kat tire will price match costco.

The tires on my Ridgeline where toast so I bought a set of all weather BFGoodrich Advantage TA Sport LT. Costco had a week wait and I was going to Seattle in a 4 days. Kal tire price matched Costco and had them installed in 3 days.

Dusty Nuggets Rusty Shackleford Cuntar
Manic! is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2018, 12:41 PM   #6
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 3,196 Times in 945 Posts
mfw I took my slk up to SFU during the snow a few years back

winters ftw

best $2k you can spend on your car

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2018, 12:50 PM   #7
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,683 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
Hi everyone,

The fact that I have AWD and M+S tires, is that good enough for our relatively mild winter.

This is a common misconception. Having AWD and M+S means that you can start. It doesn't mean that you can stop. Stopping is much more important than starting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
1. Can’t remember what store said this, but all season tires should be called “three season” tires and that couldn’t be more true.

I think Kal-Tire said this. I was looking on their site before, and it stated 3-season isn't all season.
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:19 PM   #8
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

yep don't think i'll go Costco for tires any more
the cost savings aren't worth it for the zoo
6am line-ups doesn't work for me as is waiting over a week
R1CED` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:44 PM   #9
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 8,806 Times in 3,515 Posts
I got my new snow tires at Canadian Tire. Michelin X-Ice iX2. 24 month no interest payments. Plus, 30X CT money. For people who don't have the money for snow tires, it's a good deal. I had them installed at Costco. I don't trust having work done at Canadian Tire. Bunch of crooks. I made the mistake of having the brake fluid on my son's car replaced. They couldn't put the hood back on properly, didn't put the bleeder covers back on (just left them dangling), and they told me the pads and rotors needed replacing. Yeah, right. I had like 60 - 70 % left. While I waited for the service to be done, I heard some of the dumbest things they said to their customers. Taking advantage of women and seniors...........
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2018, 02:46 PM   #10
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,944 Times in 333 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

I was wondering for the non-snowy days that are under 7 degrees, can you guys feel much of a difference?
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:53 PM   #11
MG1

I purchased new snows for the EV. Couldn't find any snow tires in the right size north of the border, so I purchased them from Tire Rack. Two day delivery. Anyway, I put them on and it was a rainy day. Holy fuck, I was slipping and sliding all over the place. Stopping was worse. I thought to myself, I just wasted my freakin' money. After a day or two, the tires started to grip. Break-in, I guess. In lower temperatures like we had in the last couple of days, the tires performed admirably.

EDIT: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...e.jsp?techid=5

I knew about tire break-in, but this article says it in a nutshell.

Last edited by MG1; 11-10-2018 at 03:03 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2018, 02:58 PM   #12
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 3,196 Times in 945 Posts
its not end of the world if temps go above 7c, just more wear on tires.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2018, 03:12 PM   #13
I don't get it

just ordered a set from quattrotires. Cheapest I found online.
dvst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 03:28 PM   #14
i like gifs

Thanked 6,952 Times in 2,406 Posts
Tires are the one thing that keeps your car safely on the road. Anyone that drives in winter conditions on anything less than winters is taking a risk. It absolutely blows my mind when I see 50k+ cars on the road slipping and sliding everywhere cause they don't have proper tires.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2018, 11:12 PM   #15
I bringith the lowerballerith

winter tires make a difference. Tires are a good investment because of safety. The bad part is buying separate rims for winter use are expensive and ugly.
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:12 AM   #16
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,527 Times in 422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
I purchased new snows for the EV. Couldn't find any snow tires in the right size north of the border, so I purchased them from Tire Rack. Two day delivery. Anyway, I put them on and it was a rainy day. Holy fuck, I was slipping and sliding all over the place. Stopping was worse. I thought to myself, I just wasted my freakin' money. After a day or two, the tires started to grip. Break-in, I guess. In lower temperatures like we had in the last couple of days, the tires performed admirably.

EDIT: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...e.jsp?techid=5

I knew about tire break-in, but this article says it in a nutshell.
Quote:
Be careful whenever you explore the capabilities of your new tires. Remember that every tire requires a break-in period of 500 miles for optimum performance.
damn, 500 miles (800km)? thats quite the break-in period for new tires if you buy new just at the start of the winter season
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 01:20 AM   #17
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNaRWaVe View Post
damn, 500 miles (800km)? thats quite the break-in period for new tires if you buy new just at the start of the winter season
My tires started to behave themselves after a day or two. The 500 miles is to reach optimal characteristics. It's been about a week and a half now and they are much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special K View Post
winter tires make a difference. Tires are a good investment because of safety. The bad part is buying separate rims for winter use are expensive and ugly.
I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but I like the look of black steelies. Steelies on my son's car gives it a real mean look.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:18 AM   #18
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 13,791 Times in 3,777 Posts
Meh. $250-$350 for a set of steelies. Most cars look like shit during winter anyways.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:39 AM   #19
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

I did on my MR2T and Sonata Turbo. Didn't bother with my Genesis... AWD and 5000 pound curb weight, I had no problems in the dump of 2016 with a set of DWS06. My thinking was I'll go through one winter to see how it'll do and if they weren't going to cut it then I'll get winters the following year. I had no issues going up and down the hills of New West with 6" of snow fresh snow. Stopping wasn't an issue but I don't drive faster than 30kph in the snow anyways. The tires don't last more than 2 years on the car so at most, I'll do 2 winters on them and if we get a worse winter than 2016 then I'm just going to work from home.

Last edited by !LittleDragon; 11-11-2018 at 03:52 AM.
!LittleDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:30 AM   #20
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 2,627 Times in 1,184 Posts
If you do a bit of research and understand bolt patterns, offsets, center bore size, etc
You can try to find rims for cheap on craigslist, and they'll look way better than steelies.

I did this for both of my cars and all I did was look for oem wheels from a previous gen of the model of my car. There's a good chance they will fit (although not always the case). But I paid about $120 for the set.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2018, 04:43 AM   #21
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,301 Times in 412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstulzerRZD View Post
I had a top rated all seasons on my cars (General Altimax RT43, Michelin LTX M/S) that were basically new.

I decided a couple winters ago that I'd give a cheap set of winter tires a try. Ended up with a set of used Chinese Federal Himalaya WS2s on my FWD Accord.

Even though these were cheap, used, and a couple years old, the ability to actually stop and turn in snow, slush, and cold weather without wondering/worrying made me feel incredibly safe to the point that I took the Accord w/ cheapo winters over the AWD SUV on basically the best M+S tire available every day.

so tl;dr YES.

For those who don't want to run a dedicated set of winters, the all-weather (winter tires meant to be run all year round) market has exploded.

Top picks are Michelin CrossClimate+ (sold in Europe for many years, Costco has started carrying these in some locations) and Nokian WRG4.

Budget picks are Nordman WR, Toyo Celsius.

A milder option for SUVs is the BFGoodrich Advantage TA Sport LT.

Don't recommend Goodyear WeatherReady since they're not that great in the wet or snow.

Have these Nordman WR on the accord right now as they came with the car and gf complained that they slipped twice already this week, once at night in the rain and once in the morning in the rain.
Although i'm not sure if it slipped due to the tires or her speed, she claimed she was going slow and driving extra cautious since its raining- but if it's a driver error then i dont know if winter's would provide better rain traction.

Thoughts?
Fafine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:43 AM   #22
Need to Shave n Shower, but I CANT STOP POSTING ON RS

Thanked 6,680 Times in 1,264 Posts
how about only Winter tires at the front for FWD cars? or only at the rear for RWD
asian_XL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:52 AM   #23
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 9,539 Times in 2,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
how about only Winter tires at the front for FWD cars? or only at the rear for RWD
Absolutely not
Old 11-11-2018, 07:57 AM   #24
MG1

Not only do you put yourself in danger, you're putting others at risk. There are some things in life you don't cheap out on.

It's the ability to stop, not start.

You end up killing or injuring others, you will pay for the rest of your life (and we're not talking just money)............not worth it.

/sermon.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:59 AM   #25
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,181 Times in 567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafine View Post
Have these Nordman WR on the accord right now as they came with the car and gf complained that they slipped twice already this week, once at night in the rain and once in the morning in the rain.
Although i'm not sure if it slipped due to the tires or her speed, she claimed she was going slow and driving extra cautious since its raining- but if it's a driver error then i dont know if winter's would provide better rain traction.

Thoughts?
Maybe they’re worn out / low tread.
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: