REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:16 PM   #51
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
I had no choice, because the sizes I needed were not available up here in Canada. I was totally prepared to pay duties and taxes, but border guard, seeing my innocent, grandfatherly look, let me go without paying anything. I had the paperwork and all. She may have seen the US DOT numbers on the receipt and thought it was made in the USA. It's made in Japan.

Tire Rack's prices are in plain view on their web site. Do the math and see if it's worth it. I had mine sent to 24/7 Parcel and I got charged 5 bucks each tire. Two day shipping, if it comes out of their Nevada warehouse. Shipping was free. I had to pay Wa tax and some tire surcharge. Total with taxes and everything in, came to 245.00 USD. Small tires mind you, but still decent for a set of snows.

Not snow tire related, but I remember going down to Portland for Polynesian Days. My Ridgeline's summers were worn down close to the warning markers. Right there and then I decided to get new tires. No taxes in Portland and the prices were better than up here. Plus, I got the instant rebate. I was gone for three days, so all was good, as far as paying duties and stuff.

Also, as a side note. I am heading down to Bellingham/Burlington tomorrow. I have my Canadian Tire receipt for the new snow tires in the glove box. In case they question the new tires and rims I have on. If you do have snows installed south of the border, you are supposed to declare the labour cost of installing the tires.
Advertisement
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 11-11-2018 at 08:31 PM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:43 PM   #52
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 6,537 Times in 1,155 Posts
send it to 5D packages for tires, its $3/set of tires. I ordered from discount tire direct and they sent me 2 pairs of tires so I only paid $6 for 4 tires package fee
artofstance on twitter
Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photographers Enthusiasts
--------------------------------------------
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
1999 Mazda Miata *sold*
2005 Mazda 3 *sold*
2002 Volvo S40 *RIP*
1989 Volvo 740 *RIP*
Matsuda is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2018, 10:16 PM   #53
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special K View Post
winter tires make a difference. Tires are a good investment because of safety. The bad part is buying separate rims for winter use are expensive and ugly.
You can easily order steelies from Costco online (no membership required for online) for anywhere from $40-$60 per wheel. If you can't even afford the cost of buying steelies + winter tires then you should really reconsider having a car as an expense.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:21 PM   #54
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
the 'save wear' argument doesn't quite apply to most motorists in the Vancouver area (some of the shortest commutes in North America)

by the time I hit year 6 and looking at replacements, even running year-round i'm nowhere close to exceeding the warranty parameters (typically 80k)...maybe if you own some high-powered RWD like 911 that chews rubber faster or attend half a dozen HPDE events a year

and there's snow/ice less than 2 weeks a year in these parts, all-weather at best for non-RWD if you don't visit ski slopes is reasonable

the RWD will be garaged under 5 degrees but it's more about no wanting salt/having the lip torn off/others crashing into it

Vancouver being Vancouver and storage and garage being a premium, i can see why many can't reasonably have 2 sets

if it's sucha drastic problem, we would've already been mandated to have snows in the city like in Quebec.

anyways, this thread should get merged already with the existing one

Last edited by twitchyzero; 11-11-2018 at 10:52 PM.
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:41 AM   #55
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
You can easily order steelies from Costco online (no membership required for online) for anywhere from $40-$60 per wheel. If you can't even afford the cost of buying steelies + winter tires then you should really reconsider having a car as an expense.
What I’m saying is... winter tires are worth every penny. Not steelies or rims. My post was not about being affordable or not.
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:45 AM   #56
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,066 Times in 1,252 Posts
Quote:
What I’m saying is... winter tires are worth every penny. Not steelies or rims. My post was not about being affordable or not.
just resell the rims when you're done

or better yet, buy used rims and resell when done

it's only when you get euros with weird offset that get expensive and PITA

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you

Last edited by yray; 11-12-2018 at 09:45 AM.
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:01 PM   #57
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Well steelies or rims are technically worth every penny... because they are part of the wheel and you can't use the tires without them, lol.

Find used rims on craigslist. You'll get a better deal on those than buying ugly steelies brand new. I wouldn't be able to justify paying $50~ for ugly steelies.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:00 PM   #58
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,454 Times in 987 Posts
i actually prefer the look of steelies over cheap alloy rims.
steelies says winter wheelset, buying the cheapest alloy rims on craigslist says i'm a ricer and i ditched my nice factory wheels for these knockoff momos
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-13-2018, 02:53 PM   #59
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,066 Times in 1,252 Posts
my knockoffs make my car look better

just get the small hub cap replacements, no one can tell if they are oem or not best thing you can buy from ebay

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:33 PM   #60
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

by the way can you get hub rings for steelies? there seems to be debate about it. I don't want to buy a set and find out they only work for mags.
matrixfwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:04 PM   #61
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,759 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixfwd View Post
by the way can you get hub rings for steelies? there seems to be debate about it. I don't want to buy a set and find out they only work for mags.
Normally aluminum wheels hubs are chamfered and it’s easier to accept hubcentric rings. That being said I’ve seen them on steel wheels before, but usually just order steel wheels that actually fit your car
Old 11-19-2018, 12:08 AM   #62
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,737 Times in 698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
i actually prefer the look of steelies over cheap alloy rims.
steelies says winter wheelset, buying the cheapest alloy rims on craigslist says i'm a ricer and i ditched my nice factory wheels for these knockoff momos
I do steelies and then put a plastic hub cap and I think it looks pretty good. Can't really tell the difference unless you really look.

The steelies stand out too much for my liking, having a nice hub cap on makes a world of difference.

These are what I got for my gf's Civic with steelies, and I think they blend into the car versus the ugly black steelies.

PeanutButter is online now   Reply With Quote