REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-21-2024, 11:05 AM   #6676
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,442 Times in 3,495 Posts
Courtenay-Comox conservative candidate Damon Scrase. He is a is a true British Columbian. https://www.conservativebc.ca/damon_...ourtenay_comox

The party is going to be full shitty candidates.
The one in my riding moderated a terf event. The location was kept secret until the day of the event.

There are also rumours that BC united may form an alliance with the conservative party of BC. With Brad West mayor of Port Coquitlam leading the party.

https://www.theorca.ca/commentary/ro...liance-8773362
Advertisement
Old 05-21-2024, 12:08 PM   #6677
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,413 Times in 7,231 Posts
Brad West already addressed that saying it wasn't happening.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-21-2024, 09:21 PM   #6678
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,781 Times in 1,192 Posts
The things about politics is that politicians care about one thing and one thing only: votes. As a voter, you can never let them feel they can take your votes for granted.

I don't give a flying fuck what party, candidate, or ideology you believe in. But when it comes to voting, I ask myself one thing: has the one in power done enough? If the answer is yes, I vote for the incumbent. If not, I vote for the candidate who has the highest chance of beating the incumbent. I don't care who that is. As long as he/she can replace the incumbent, so be it.

The very idea of "oh... this party/candidate has done/said this before, then this is going to happen" is the stupidest idea I find on a lot of voters. You are basically manipulated by the fear/hate strategy. They know that you don't like a particular point, so they say... "hey, if you elect the other guy, he's going to do that".

For fuck sake... every decision and/or proposal are carefully considered in politics. If a policy is unpopular enough that runs a significant risk, they are not going to see any time in the parliament.

During the election before Libs came to power, I asked myself, has the Harper and Co. done good enough? My answer was no. So, I voted Libs. The few past elections, I've done the same. And the next election... still the same question... have they done good enough? Fuck no... so, the main idea is to get Conservative into power.

To be voting purely on ideology or political leaning is fucked up.

For those who are Trudeau supporters, I ask you this question... have your life and everything around you become better under Trudeau's government? Unless you are in public sector, I can hardly see the answer as yes. Our economy is fucked. The neighborhood is fucked. The foreign policy is fucked. And our kids' education is fucked.

I'm fortunate enough to not be affected much by the poor policies. But I see people around me suffering. The neighborhood changing. And the school going crazy with the things they teach my kids. The last few years are the first time in my life that I thought about leaving Canada for good. And I'm not the only one in my social circle.

So, before we talk about issues like abortion, religion or whatever the fuck being discussed in this thread, can we be less specific, and look at the grand scheme of things... how do you feel about our gov't in the last few years?
Old 05-21-2024, 09:39 PM   #6679
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,522 Times in 5,741 Posts
In b4 everything is worse but make some weird justification
Old 05-22-2024, 12:59 AM   #6680

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post

For those who are Trudeau supporters, I ask you this question... have your life and everything around you become better under Trudeau's government? Unless you are in public sector, I can hardly see the answer as yes. Our economy is fucked. The neighborhood is fucked. The foreign policy is fucked. And our kids' education is fucked.
It's gotten better. Everyone in my family is better off. Ask your self are better off now or when Harper was in power?
Old 05-22-2024, 05:37 AM   #6681

The only reason you’re better off is because a decade has passed.

Statistically most people are far worse off, whether it be affordability, house hold debt, standard of living.

Don’t have to look to far to see all the surveys outlining how many Canadians are “hopeless”

Is anyone actually “proud” to be Canadian anymore?

Last edited by Hondaracer; 05-22-2024 at 05:45 AM.
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 06:22 AM   #6682
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,316 Times in 2,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
In b4 everything is worse but make some weird justification
Quote:
Lol
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 06:41 AM   #6683
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 9,138 Times in 3,299 Posts
Quote:
NO

nationalism is basically dead in western countries other than the US
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 06:55 AM   #6684

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
Lol
Don’t think it’s really that weird, if you were an adult with half a brain prior to Trudeau coming into Power, you’ve likely worked and maybe progressed in a career to the point where you make more money than you were 10 years ago, if you haven’t you’re likely a loser regardless.

That doesn’t mean your quality of life is better or society as a whole has improved because you make slightly more money than you did previously. For most people the increases they have seen haven’t kept up to inflation or cost of living anyways.
Old 05-22-2024, 06:57 AM   #6685

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
NO

nationalism is basically dead in western countries other than the US
Tell that to the US, or France, or Italy, etc.

Canada has no identity anymore. We support genocide on one hand and push for tampons in men’s washrooms in the other
Old 05-22-2024, 07:04 AM   #6686

We have an identity, we are the US's retarded little brother.

America jr

America w/ Healthcare + higher cost of living
Old 05-22-2024, 07:13 AM   #6687
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,316 Times in 2,455 Posts
Quote:
Don’t think it’s really that weird
That's literally the definition of cognitive dissonance. Finding one's personal beliefs completely valid regardless if they actually are or not and also finding any argument that goes against one's personal beliefs "weird", also regardless if it is objectively valid or not.

It's basically the same thing that Hehe's word salad above is about. That's what arguing about politics is, same shit different pile. Each side thinking one side is dumber than the other for believing in a certain thing.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback

Last edited by sonick; 05-22-2024 at 07:22 AM.
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-22-2024, 09:17 AM   #6688
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
^sweet! that'll show big funeral.

When i die, none of you fuckers say you know me okay? i dont wanna pay $$$ for basically a pointless/useless service.

Just let my bloated fat corpse rot in future 2.0 Turd-oooohhh's medicare system.

P.s. stop tiny from donating my corpse to bodyworld. I dont need future Nelsons going HAHA at me @ science world.

p.p.s. also stop tiny from potentially freezing my head cuz she said the rest of me aint worth freezing, so she'll cut cost and just freeze the head.
We all want to laugh at your micro penis though.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 10:19 AM   #6689

MACRO penis damnit MACRO!!!!!!!!

im not worried about them laughing at my smallhobz, im worried about them putting me into a fucking freak show
Old 05-22-2024, 10:36 AM   #6690
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,268 Times in 402 Posts
Quote:
Statistically most people are far worse off, whether it be affordability, house hold debt, standard of living.
Issa complicated thing.

Some of it is governments (provincial and federal) failing to develop Canadian resources and economy.

Some of it are global forces (currency, interest rates, incomes) where Canada slayed with housing before, but are working against Canada at the moment.

IMO the only fix in current interest rate environment is through policy - we got caught with pants down on any economy that wasn't housing / auto manufacturing.

Take a page from the French to develop solid venture and growth funding (Canadian funds take 3 weeks to review, US funds like 3 days), develop more processing infra for oil sands/lumber, attract more US based tech companies to Vancouver / Toronto, use the carbon tax to fund renewables development.

Past:
- '09 Ducati Monster 696 "Ketchup"
- '20 Dodge Charger R/T 5.7
- '20 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
- '04 Acura TL 6MT
- 🛴 Lime Scooter 🛴
- '19 Toyota Camry LE
- '16 Golf 1.8T
- '09 MB E63 AMG
- '06 Honda Accord V6

Last edited by AstulzerRZD; 05-22-2024 at 10:41 AM.
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-22-2024, 11:18 AM   #6691

Read this report from the Canadian food bank and tell me anyone better off

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/0...eport-card-bc/

Double digit segments of our population living in poverty.

Canadurrrrrr

Quote:
Although overall child poverty is significantly lower in BC than the national average (8.6 per cent, compared to 10.3 per cent), the poverty rate among youth aged 18–24 is 4 percentage points higher in BC (18 per cent) than nationally (14 per cent).
No ones going to fix it, but ultimately Trudeau and the liberals legacy will be increased poverty rates, rampant homelessness and addiction at the sake of virtue signaling and saving face among the world leaders.

Haiti gets more funding than the DTES from the feds?

When I asked if anyone is proud to be Canadian, I’d say I feel more embarrassed when you drive through downtown, you drive down Kingsway, you drive into Kelowna, etc. and we’ve got thousands of people living on the streets and in Trudeau towns littering every city across Canada.

Well done. Not to worry though, a vote for the liberals will unlock that housing funding you’re so desperately waiting on

Last edited by Hondaracer; 05-22-2024 at 11:27 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-22-2024, 11:20 AM   #6692

Quote:

Don’t have to look to far to see all the surveys outlining how many Canadians are “hopeless”

Ever heard of the word recession? In the last 10 years the housing market has boomed, the economy has boomed and so has the stock/crypto markets. In the 80's when we had a recession builders where selling new homes at cost or even less.
Old 05-22-2024, 11:36 AM   #6693
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,413 Times in 7,231 Posts
I'd really like to visit the example country you are looking at Honda when making the comparison that we are some shit country to live in. I'm not talking a 3 week vacation where you're jerking off in an expensive hotel room and drinking beers on the beach, I'm talking making a living for a few years, paying a mortgage, commuting, buying groceries, dealing with local politics, etc.
Canada has some quantifiable failures over the last 9 years with this government, as well as the 156 years or whatever it's been before that, but what REAL differences to you expect the government to manage that can happen completely independent of the global economy, widening inequality, climate issues etc.
We really don't have the money and power to make things as different as you think they will be. You might sleep cozier at night because PP tells guys they can't have tampons, but I really am interested to hear what you think a party without a platform will accomplish when they won't even tell you.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 11:44 AM   #6694
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,294 Times in 1,439 Posts
Anyone following the protests in PEI?

PEI is moving away from food services and retail workers for the PNP program and a bunch of Indian nationals are protesting and making demands asking to be grandfathered in, PNP draws without a point system and an extension of their work permits

They even said they would go on a hunger strike to the death a week ago, LOL.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/princ...tion-1.7202686

The audacity to come to Canada as a temporary foreign worker and make demands.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-22-2024, 11:52 AM   #6695

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
Anyone following the protests in PEI?

PEI is moving away from food services and retail workers for the PNP program and a bunch of Indian nationals are protesting and making demands asking to be grandfathered in, PNP draws without a point system and an extension of their work permits

They even said they would go on a hunger strike to the death a week ago, LOL.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/princ...tion-1.7202686

The audacity to come to Canada as a temporary foreign worker and make demands.
One of my employee's roommates moved to PEI to do drywall. It was a faster way for him to get his PR. I don't blame them for doing what ever it takes to stay in Canada.
Old 05-22-2024, 12:02 PM   #6696
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,294 Times in 1,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
One of my employee's roommates moved to PEI to do drywall. It was a faster way for him to get his PR. I don't blame them for doing what ever it takes to stay in Canada.
People working in trades are immune to the PNP change since it's in demand.

https://www.princeedwardisland.ca/en...ions-in-demand

It's all those other entitled folks that think working a minimum wage retail job is worth a PR card.

But regardless, your employee's roommate is exploiting a loophole where folks are moving to PEI in droves bringing negative consequences to the province and then moving back to BC/ONT. The government of PEI recognized this hence changing the PNP program recently.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-22-2024, 01:04 PM   #6697

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd really like to visit the example country you are looking at Honda when making the comparison that we are some shit country to live in. I'm not talking a 3 week vacation where you're jerking off in an expensive hotel room and drinking beers on the beach, I'm talking making a living for a few years, paying a mortgage, commuting, buying groceries, dealing with local politics, etc.
Canada has some quantifiable failures over the last 9 years with this government, as well as the 156 years or whatever it's been before that, but what REAL differences to you expect the government to manage that can happen completely independent of the global economy, widening inequality, climate issues etc.
We really don't have the money and power to make things as different as you think they will be. You might sleep cozier at night because PP tells guys they can't have tampons, but I really am interested to hear what you think a party without a platform will accomplish when they won't even tell you.
Of course we have the money to fix these issues. There’s just no will when everyone in govt. needs to scratch the private sectors back to secure their board job once they leave public office.

No one is ever going to fix these issues however, there certainly was opportunity in the past to do so, and those opportunities were never taken and mostly completely neglected until they became an emergency.

In regards to your first statement, anecdotally I know 3 couples who got their PR here and ultimately moved back to where they came from for the sake of affordability and lifestyle. Two from Ireland, one from the states.

What you never seem to say is that when you make 100k a year, and your home is 600k. LIFE itself is far more sustainable and easier than when you make 100k and you’re shit box 1br apartment is 1.5 million. Again, a mishandled housing sector which only benefited the ultra rich and pushed whole segments of our population into poverty.

You don’t have to go live in other places to realize life is easier and the standard of living is MUCH better in other comparable places.

Did you read that food bank article? A double digit increase in people who can’t even see a fucking doctor here over a single year. We’re a joke.

The irony of all of this is that back when Canada was actually in a good place, I found myself defending it here over people who kept spewing out some bullshit like “iTs NoT a woRLD cLAsS cITy lIkE hK!!”

And now that Canada is turning into complete shit, people defending it for the sake of the govt. they voted for lol.. GG

Edit* and this isn’t just opinion. Look at the numbers of the mass exodus from Canada. People don’t even care whether it’s better or not elsewhere, or if they’ve experienced life elsewhere and KNOW it’s better, they are willing to take a risk and move somewhere else blind, that’s where we are at.

Last edited by Hondaracer; 05-22-2024 at 01:36 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-22-2024, 03:17 PM   #6698

How about some actual facts to backup everything?

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...-affordability

Quote:
A new report lends insight into Canadians who leave the country, estimated to number around four million in 2016, or about 11 per cent of the population according to Statistics Canada.

Canada has trouble retaining new citizens, with onward migration showing an increase by 31 per cent between 2017 and 2019, according to the report published by McGill Institute for the Study of Canada on Monday.
https://betterdwelling.com/canadians...e-in-73-years/

Quote:
Canada is losing more and more residents to foreign countries. The latest data shows emigration rose 3% higher to 32,026 people in Q3 2023. That number is astronomical, and hard to appreciate just on its own. Over the past 73 years of data only three years have seen larger quarters—2016, 1967, and 1965.
Quote:
Canada’s outflows have largely been ignored since record population growth obfuscates it. Most policymakers would point to the net increase as reason to ignore the issue. However, this dismisses an important point that is beginning to surface—if the people most familiar with a country don’t see opportunity, how long can it attract immigrants?
https://vancouversun.com/opinion/col...nd-the-country

Quote:
Canada and B.C., Williams says, risk losing some of their best and brightest people to other places because the standard of living is flat or declining.

David Williams
Source: David Williams, BCBC.
Williams believes Ottawa’s immigration policies have become “disconnected from the academic evidence.” Federal politicians act as if having by far the highest migration rate of any advanced nation is a panacea for the country’s economic malaise.

But the reality is that Canada has one of the weakest overall economies in the OECD, a club of 38 mostly rich nations, says Williams.
I don’t have to leave, because all the people who actually add value to this country are already fucking leaving

Please, I’d like to see a counter argument to any of these articles outling the mass exodus we are facing replacing skilled, educated, people with a basement full of 3rd world labourers.

We can’t manufacturer anything, we aren’t innovators in ANY sector, but we can sure as hell staff a Subway or Wendy’s.

Reading all these stories which use actual data, and show, a lot of the time we can’t even keep the refugees and immigrants who come here, I think shit is going to get MUCH worse going forward. Buckle up baby
Old 05-22-2024, 03:22 PM   #6699
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,914 Times in 5,295 Posts
You can actually be a lot happier just not reading your BS websites and customized for you newsfeeds to fuel your anger / feelings like the sky is always falling.

It’s not even ignorance is bliss, it’s just choosing to understand that you can only control your own life and how you interact with your surroundings and fellow citizens. Thinking this country is anything even remotely close to a “shithole” has only been made possible by spending hours dedicating yourself to reading other people tell you it is.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 03:30 PM   #6700

If I never read any article, walking around my neighborhood and places I can walk to within an hour tells the tale alone.

Wife and I are immune to most of the underlying issues because we are both very well educated, have good jobs, have substantial assets. Eventually these issues that are boiling under the surface are very much going to affect everyone outside of the wealthiest people.

I work a lot on the west side of Vancouver and UBC endowment lands. Who among the people who live in these areas would have thought you’d have homeless people laying in the streets and drug addicts bent over in their alleys? Because I can assure you, it’s very much a thing.

I can control what I take in, I can’t control walking past a crack head in my neighborhood blowing out clouds of who knows what into the passing families and children. Again, very much a thing, becoming a more common occurrence by the day.