REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 03-07-2019, 07:52 AM   #1
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
retirement jobs

Any thoughts on jobs for retired people?

Dad is recently retired and he's bored beyond belief. Want's to do something to pass the time but not to many places are wanting to hire a retired person. I've tried throwing him some suggestions but he isn't really wanting to work menial jobs for 15$ hour.

He likes driving - class 3/5/6 DL, he's not a mechanic but he's worked and been repairing hydro pneumatic/industrial sized machines for years at his previous job etc etc.

Any thoughts on job ideas?
Advertisement
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:17 AM   #2
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
My dad retired from the bank and started his own handyman business, was supposed to be just to keep himself busy... But now its full time and he makes almost or more than what he made at the bank. But he really enjoys it.

I would suggest to your father to just truly do something that he'll have fun doing, whatever it is.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:30 AM   #3
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,346 Times in 5,651 Posts
Volunteer at the SPCA etc.

No ones gonna hire somone on a part time basis to drive truck or do any sort of mechanical work I would think unless you were willing to be on call
Old 03-07-2019, 09:37 AM   #4
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,004 Times in 1,909 Posts
Shuttle driver at car dealer.

Last time I went to a dealer and got a ride to transit or office, I thought to myself, dang, when I retire, I want to do this. Perfect for seniors and retirees because they have peak hours from say 7:00-10:00 (seniors and retirees wake up so early!) then nothing in mid day ... nappy time ... and maybe another peak shift from 3:00-6:00 when people pick up their cars. I'm thinking it has to be somewhat of a higher end dealer that offers this. Meet some nice interesting folks. Maybe get some perks like discount parts, etc.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
My dad retired from the bank and started his own handyman business, was supposed to be just to keep himself busy... But now its full time and he makes almost or more than what he made at the bank. But he really enjoys it.

I would suggest to your father to just truly do something that he'll have fun doing, whatever it is.
He used to have a workshop in his basement with table saws, bandsaws, lathe, where he could make stuff. Then me and my brother came along and that workshop slowly dwindled away to make room for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Volunteer at the SPCA etc.

No ones gonna hire somone on a part time basis to drive truck or do any sort of mechanical work I would think unless you were willing to be on call
He wouldn't want part time he'd like to do full time. He's been working his whole life and now that he's got nothing to do it's like a giant shock to him. It's to late for him to learn any computer type skills and he's past the point of doing back breaking labor. Just looking for something that can keep him happy and busy. Currently he goes out and takes photos everyday for hours on end. I'm not camera enthusiast but I know the general area of his lenses & equipment exceeds the 10k mark. I suggested to him to do that as a contract photographer. There's always some hipster out there who needs a quick photo shoot done in a park haha

whitev70r - He was considering doing the saferide driving thing a while ago during the christmas break. Don't know if he'd be wanting to do late night driving with drunk people on a regular basis though.

appreciating all the replies so far!
Old 03-07-2019, 10:29 AM   #6
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Home Depot
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2019, 10:30 AM   #7
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
stop taking jobs from young people

cruise terminal checkin is nice but the pay is shit, it's like a retirement home there with young chicks once in a while

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:31 AM   #8
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,346 Times in 5,651 Posts
hmm yea unfortunate situation that he doesnt have enough other hobbies to keep him occupied.. unfortunately for older people shit like this where you retire and have nothing to do with your time seems to end up badly..

Could start just posting on CL for impromtu photoshoots etc. if he seems to like photography might as well spin that into somthing.. could even get into some local photo walks etc. if hes a bit social
Old 03-07-2019, 12:13 PM   #9
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,456 Times in 989 Posts
when i retire all i wanna do is garden.. if he has a backyard maybe he'd be into that?
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2019, 12:56 PM   #10
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Does he like golf? Some courses like to hire older guys for some maintenance/groundskeeping work, the pay probably isn't amazing but they tend to get a discount on a membership or rounds of golf.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:02 PM   #11
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

If he doesn't need the money that comes from a paying job, he could always volunteer at a non-profit.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Does he like golf? Some courses like to hire older guys for some maintenance/groundskeeping work, the pay probably isn't amazing but they tend to get a discount on a membership or rounds of golf.
No golf for him. He's a pain in the rear end to deal with right now haha. I keep telling him to not expect some 30$hr job for his age. I'm thinking safe ride style job is good for him. Just need to try and persuade him with the whole working nights thing. I can only help him so much lol. Old stubborn man ahaha
Old 03-07-2019, 01:29 PM   #13
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,162 Posts
How about Community Shuttle operator for TransLink?

Fits the bill for liking to drive and wanting full time hours.

Currently there are no postings but do keep an eye out for it.

EDIT: Or try for the conventional operator position for guaranteed full time hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:53 PM   #14
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
I've tried throwing him some suggestions but he isn't really wanting to work menial jobs for 15$ hour.
Quote:

He wouldn't want part time he'd like to do full time.

It's to late for him to learn any computer type skills and he's past the point of doing back breaking labor.

Just looking for something that can keep him happy and busy.

lenses & equipment exceeds the 10k mark.
Sorry, maybe you can clarify stuff here. Your father.....

- does not want to work for shitty pay like everyone else
- apparently has money since he can afford that much camera gear
- does not want anything physical
- does not want to learn new computer skills
- but only wants full time and to keep making good money

So... why did he retire, and what exactly is is realistically looking to get out of working again
Old 03-07-2019, 02:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Sorry, maybe you can clarify stuff here. Your father.....

- does not want to work for shitty pay like everyone else
- apparently has money since he can afford that much camera gear
- does not want anything physical
- does not want to learn new computer skills
- but only wants full time and to keep making good money

So... why did he retire, and what exactly is is realistically looking to get out of working again

- Not everyone makes shitty pay. My definition of shitty pay is probably different than yours.

- His camera gear has accumulated over many years. Hes had cameras + gear since I can remember.

- When you're in your 60's physical work just doesn't work out for you anymore

- He still types with his index fingers. The work he did in the past didn't involve computers it involved tools. Teaching him new computer skills for a job he'd have for another few years is useless.

- Yes, wants to do full time and continue making something more than 15$hr. Good money is different from person to person.

He retired because he's at the point in his life where he no longer needs to deal with working on heavy machinery. What he would like to do is get something that would make him useful without being minimum wage.

Answered in order. Hopefully that all didn't come off as rude.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2019, 02:33 PM   #16
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
Do it the Asian way and give him some grandkids to take care of.
Fafine is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2019, 04:06 PM   #17
HELP ME PLS!!!

Agreed with the grandkids thing. The ideal Chinese household is to have three generations under one roof. So the saying goes.

I don't know your father, so I can't pick a job for him, but I found this exercise useful in figuring out what I want to do with my career.

It is a variation of other path finding exercises out there as well.

Old 03-07-2019, 04:39 PM   #18
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,044 Times in 2,077 Posts
Airport shuttle driver. Good tips. Every day is different because of the human interaction element.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:42 PM   #19
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
Quote:
Any thoughts on jobs for retired people?

Dad is recently retired and he's bored beyond belief. Want's to do something to pass the time but not to many places are wanting to hire a retired person. I've tried throwing him some suggestions but he isn't really wanting to work menial jobs for 15$ hour.

He likes driving - class 3/5/6 DL, he's not a mechanic but he's worked and been repairing hydro pneumatic/industrial sized machines for years at his previous job etc etc.

Any thoughts on job ideas?
Parts/Shuttle driver at a dealership. Every dealership I've worked at that had a dedicated shuttle driver, they were retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:15 PM   #20
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
i think if you define "good pay" you'll get some valuable responses.

most of these "shuttle driver" jobs are $13-14/hr and that is not good per your definition it seems.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:23 PM   #21

Thanked 2,346 Times in 973 Posts
I can undersatnd where you're coming from.

No way in heck would your dad / retired person want to get a job that's 12.50 an hour eg// mcdonalds, or scrubbing toilets. There are job and there are jobs which people simply won't do as a retired person; eg// washing toilets, being a walmart greeter. They want to work with a sense of meaning / accomplishment.

Yes, there are jobs out there where your body just cant take it anymore. eg// crane operators, construction workers etc. Things that are labor intensive are better off to retire early than trying to rough it out.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2019, 09:34 PM   #22
My homepage has been set to RS

danned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:28 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
I can undersatnd where you're coming from.

No way in heck would your dad / retired person want to get a job that's 12.50 an hour eg// mcdonalds, or scrubbing toilets. There are job and there are jobs which people simply won't do as a retired person; eg// washing toilets, being a walmart greeter. They want to work with a sense of meaning / accomplishment.

Yes, there are jobs out there where your body just cant take it anymore. eg// crane operators, construction workers etc. Things that are labor intensive are better off to retire early than trying to rough it out.

That's pretty spot on with how he feels. It's the same I would feel if it were me.

Anything labor intensive wouldn't work, he's in his 60's. He was in a motorcycle accident a few years ago where a car whipped around a car in front of him to pass on the right and clipped his bike when he attempted to merge back in. He wears a jacket and gloves and a helmet. His entire left leg was destroyed and he's had a bit of a limp ever since. He can still walk long distances but he needs to go at his own pace or take a break every now and then.
I think driving is his best route. Just need to find the right position. I really don't want to end up seeing him spending his days watching Jerry Springer, Maury, Judge Judy, Price is Right, etc etc.

He has two grandkids that he see's every day. My mom picks them up after school and she babysits them until my brother/wife is off work.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:28 AM   #24
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
I don't blame your pops for not wanting to do anything physical, I'm in my early 40's and I have zero interest in doing a physical job ever again. I do have some health issues from diabetes that prevents me from standing/walking for long periods but even that aside.

I don't know if this would work for your dad but I've started consulting in a similar role that I do in my day job. It's a part time thing for now but eventually if I decide I want to retire before dying of a heart attack or stroke it's something I'm going to probably shift into.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:07 AM   #25

Thanked 2,346 Times in 973 Posts
Working in the library is a good way to kill time while staying indoors.
Uber drivers depending where you are.
Bus drivers if you're willing to take that training.
Retirement home (nice fancy ones) or any apartment building as receptionist / conceiges (might need cpu skills)
Old age home drivers.. (high end ones) TONS of postings online (my friend works at head office and told me)

next step... would be to up your dad's interview skills to ensure he shines when it comes to the next stage.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote