REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-25-2020, 03:06 PM   #2576
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
on a serious note really interesting to see what becomes of HK economically. it's like the global hub to all of asia is it not?
not really, it has a western judicial system so it's a safe place for international companies to park their companies while doing business with China

but its importance has waned over the years, and now with the erosion of its judicial independence as we approach 2047, it'll become less a hub and more just another Chinese city (but with good financial infrastructure)
Advertisement
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 03:24 PM   #2577
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
on a serious note really interesting to see what becomes of HK economically. it's like the global hub to all of asia is it not?
It's gone down significantly since the early 90s

1993 = 27% of China's GDP
1997 = 18.4% (after reverting back to China)
2019 = 2.7%

They've dropped 90% of their overall GDP importance to China over the past 26 years

Forbes: How China's Economic Boom Eclipsed Hong Kong [Infographic]

"Back in 1993, Hong Kong's economy was more than a quarter the size of China's. It had a GDP of $120 billion, more than many industrialized nations, while Chinese GDP was approximately $445 billion, according to the World Bank. Fast forward to 2018 and the emergence of megacities such as Chongqing, Shanghai, Shenzhen, Beijing, Chengdu and Harbin has powered the country's GDP to $13.6 trillion. While Hong Kong remains a key Asian economic powerhouse, its GDP now stands at just 2.7% of China's - $364 billion."

Reuters: How important is Hong Kong to the rest of China?

"The size of Hong Kong’s economy may only be equivalent to 2.7% of mainland China’s now, down from 18.4% in 1997 when it reverted to Chinese rule, but the territory punches above its weight due to its world-class financial and legal systems."
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 03:27 PM   #2578
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
Time for a new hub... Taiwan?
Like it or not Hong King’s economical status and western countries taste for the city is due to its ability to tap into the mainland market. Something Taiwan lacks.

I don’t know what count as success for a revolution but this has considerably fast forward china’s complete take over of Hong Kong.

Before the revolution you are free to print all the anti governmental material you want.

Now it’s officially outlaw. I would say as a honger you have considerable less freedom (legally) than before the revolution. Adding to the complete and total destruction of the city’s economy.

Who won here? Not sure. But it seems like the biggest loser here is the Hong Kong people themselves.
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 03:45 PM   #2579
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post

Before the revolution you are free to print all the anti governmental material you want.
Actually CCP started kidnapping HKers who were doing that. That's what started this whole fucking thing.

Quote:
Who won here? Not sure. But it seems like the biggest loser here is the Hong Kong people themselves.
HK people, and the rest of the free world, were ALWAYS going to lose, once the handover agreement was signed. This just sped things up. And because China depends on them, they will lose too. The whole world lost, and could have been avoided if the CCP had just stuck to the agreement as promised. If they started doing this shit in 2047, it might not be so ugly since the HK people don't really have the legal grounds to stand on. Not many free countries would support that kind of revolution. The way they're doing it now, they just literally ignore the legal grounds. The free world will support people fighting against that.

China had plans to take over the world, is it too late to stop them? If they still depend greatly on exports, then probably not. If their plans were to develop Africa to become their new source of exports, then it's probably too early for that.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 03:53 PM   #2580

I think China’s world domination plan is to target the poorest countries and region and lift them out of poverty the same way they did with their own people.

Freedom by economic vs the freedom by democracy employed by west.

Only Time will tell if this will work.
Old 05-25-2020, 03:59 PM   #2581

If these countries see how they treated their people after "lifting them out of poverty" they may prefer to stay in poverty Or at least something in between. I doubt many people WANT to live under oppression if they have the choice.

I think Chinese people will start to realize it too; only so much information can be blocked for so long.

And once all this money disappears, they will be looking for reasons why.

If you are able to rule with tyranny because of strong economy, what are you left with when the economy disappears? Just tyranny like before. Chinese people may not have a lot of information available to them, but they aren't stupid cowards either. And I think the free thinking world will help them if they want it.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:08 PM   #2582

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
If these countries see how they treated their people after "lifting them out of poverty" they may prefer to stay in poverty Or at least something in between. I doubt many people WANT to live under oppression if they have the choice.

I think Chinese people will start to realize it too; only so much information can be blocked for so long.

And once all this money disappears, they will be looking for reasons why.
I still dunno where you get the idea that Chinese people have no idea what going on in the country. If chinese people wanted to gave up the economic propensity for the same kind of of freedom the west has. They would have over throw this dynasty By utter force long time ago. If anything the coronavirus May have damage china’s reputation on the world stage. It has strengthen their own people’s unity.

The money isn’t disappearing that the issue. China is on track to overtake US in terms on GDP in no more than 5 years. With the current messiness of USA’s democratic environment. It might take even less time.

And we are talking about it utter poverty here. The so call freedom we treasure means dogshit to someone that can’t even get clean water.

Thinking freedom > eating is such a first world point of view only us with food in the belly can spare the energy to ponder about.

Anybody else following the CCP’s first real attempt at an “Democracy” within the country. Looks like they are release a country wide system to report unjust laws, and to suggest changes the system.

Will see how this actually works out. But I thought it’s interesting they are release this system now.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2020, 04:12 PM   #2583

Quote:
I still dunno where you get the idea that Chinese people have no idea what going on in the country. If chinese people wanted to gave up the economic propensity for the same kind of of freedom the west has. They would have over throw this dynasty By utter force long time ago. If anything the coronavirus May have damage china’s reputation on the world stage. It has strengthen their own people’s unity.

The money isn’t disappearing that the issue. China is on track to overtake US in terms on GDP in no more than 5 years. With the current messiness of USA’s democratic environment. It might take even less time.

And we are talking about it utter poverty here. The so call freedom we treasure means dogshit to someone that can’t even get clean water.

Thinking freedom > eating is such a first world point of view only us with food in the belly can spare the energy to ponder about.

Anybody else following the CCP’s first real attempt at an “Democracy” within the country. Looks like they are release a country wide system to report unjust laws, and to suggest changes the system.

Will see how this actually works out. But I thought it’s interesting they are release this system now.
They may not have to give up economic prosperity if it's taken from them. When that happens, what are they left with? All of the bad, none of the good.

And I'm sorry you took my joke about poverty seriously. I thought the smiley would have given a stronger clue that I was joking about it.

My main point is, you can only step one peoples' throats for so long before they stop accepting it. Especially if they can no longer live a comfortable middle class lifestyle. China lifted their grip around the throats for the 2000's but are now crushing down harder than ever. You're right, we'll see what happens. Hong Kong may be a small preview sample, which is why china is risking everything to try to put an end to it ASAP. HK never even had a true democracy in their history, and look how hard they are fighting for it now.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:15 PM   #2584
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
It all seems eerily familiar.
The world would do good to recall what happened the last time it allowed a tyrannical government to continue to defy international law to amass its power for attempted global domination.
Those democratic countries thought it wise to wield the pen over the sword then as well.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz

Last edited by welfare; 05-25-2020 at 06:31 PM.
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-26-2020, 11:00 AM   #2585

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
In case there's doubt that this stops at Hong Kong...
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/poli...-reunification
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:15 PM   #2586

It begins

Old 05-27-2020, 09:24 AM   #2587
Need my Daily Fix of RS

US looking at imposing the same tariffs on HK as they do with China. Also, US Secretary of State no longer considers HK an autonomous region.
buhdeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:58 AM   #2588

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buhdeh View Post
https://twitter.com/natashakhanhk/st...84270065958913

US looking at imposing the same tariffs on HK as they do with China. Also, US Secretary of State no longer considers HK an autonomous region.
Good. they should all bar any of the DAB , pro-government official and their children who blame foreign influence on HK as the cause of this new Law. Chances are, a lot of their kids will have to leave US colleges/work.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 03:28 PM   #2589

Well they did it. China threw it all away, because they kept "losing face" when HKers would boo their national anthem. The entire world is in turmoil because of jealousy and bitter hatred towards free thinking. Can't wait until 2047 to ruin Hong Kong, giving the rest of the world a chance to adapt. They have to do it right now. Can't admit that a bad virus started spreading through Wuhan, that would make them "lose face". Better cover it up until it becomes a problem everywhere...

I used to think China had an action plan to become a world leader - build the economy, build up Africa, and be the top power in the world. Not necessarily "take over the world" but be important. Be a country that others have to and want to work with to progress as society. Aside from politics, I wouldn't mind that really. I obviously have no issue with Chinese culture or their people.

However I have realized that they really have no idea what they are doing. They are basically turning into North Korea right before our eyes. They are overwriting Chinese culture with CCP culture. They are throwing everything away, all in order to "save face" and have the appearance of power. It's actually batshit crazy if you think about it.

I know there are people here who think China can do no wrong, because a lot of people got rich. Maybe family members went from being poor to being rich. Don't know, don't care. Keep those comments to yourself please, because so far no good counter points have been made. Just excuses.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2020, 08:31 AM   #2590
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
beijing wants to take retaliation against UK for extending rights for overseas passports

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...nterfere-trump
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:50 AM   #2591

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
beijing wants to take retaliation against UK for extending rights for overseas passports

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...nterfere-trump
Tell China to send all their overseas university students in UK back to China.

UK loses tons of tuition money, and lots of rich brats will whine to their CCP parents about how they don't want to be stuck in China at home.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:16 AM   #2592
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
I’ve been waiting for some updates in this thread. The whole Hong long security bill thing sounds mental

Edit: carry Lam sounds like a fucking idiot

Last edited by 320icar; 05-30-2020 at 11:26 AM.
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:23 AM   #2593
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,402 Times in 552 Posts
The line "This is purely an internal matter and no one has the right to interfere" is infuriating because it is telling how shitty they treat people and see humanity as a whole.

It's akin to saying "Yea, I beat the shit out of my wife and kids at home but that's my internal family issue"
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2020, 11:55 AM   #2594
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teriyaki View Post
The line "This is purely an internal matter and no one has the right to interfere" is infuriating because it is telling how shitty they treat people and see humanity as a whole.

It's akin to saying "Yea, I beat the shit out of my wife and kids at home but that's my internal family issue"
Isn't that what the Amish and a bunch of wackjob churches try to do in the US?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 02:53 PM   #2595

PRC Foreign Ministry spokesperson trolling America on twitter

Is this real life?

(btw twitter is banned in China, so technically they don't even expect their people to ever see this)
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2020, 06:28 PM   #2596
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,067 Times in 1,252 Posts
foreign diplomacy with Chinese characteristics

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:31 AM   #2597
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,025 Posts
Quote:

https://twitter.com/SpokespersonCHN/...41986096107520

Is this real life?

(btw twitter is banned in China, so technically they don't even expect their people to ever see this)
Gotta admit though, that was a hilarious response.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 04:08 PM   #2598
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:

https://twitter.com/SpokespersonCHN/...41986096107520

Is this real life?

haha so true

many chinese friends whom I knew never use twitter / facebook / whatsapp at all. Intead they use the filtered wechat where they considered as "news"

My Buyer / Seller Rating
http://www.revscene.net/forums/60152...o-6-0-0-a.html
Y2K_o__o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:28 PM   #2599

Countries getting together, with a bi-partisan (hell multi partisan) alliance on how to deal with China moving forward. This way, it's not just a bunch of voices shouting in all different directions...

Quote:
Inter-Parliamentary Alliance on China

An international cross-party group of legislators working to reform the approach of democratic countries to China.
Old 06-17-2020, 03:39 PM   #2600