REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-23-2019, 01:26 PM   #76
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
If you think a welder would ever buy this thing you’ve never met a welder lol.

As much as they want to tote this as some kind of trades solution, I can pretty much guarantee you this thing ain’t gonna be parked at many job sites.

Also, it will be a decade or more before EV trucks ever have the long range towing payload of a one tonne or 3/4 tonne diesel. The guy with the 3500 Cummins will be in Calgary towing a 5th wheel trailer a day and a half before the Tesla has made its 6th stop to charge in the kootneys
It's not perfect for everyone but no vehicle is. Living on Vancouver Island I can be in the bush within 15 minutes. You could take 6 people into the bush with tools and lumber and build a tiny house/cabin. then use the truck to power it for a few day when you are there. You have to think outside the box.

According to Tesla's website a Model S longe range will need 3 stops to get from Vancouver to Calgary with a total charge time of 110 minutes. The Cyber truck will be different but it gives you a rough idea.

https://www.tesla.com/trips#/?v=MS_2...00761560000001
Advertisement
Old 11-23-2019, 01:38 PM   #77
I subscribe to Revscene

Fixed!
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-23-2019, 02:27 PM   #78
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
According to Tesla's website a Model S longe range will need 3 stops to get from Vancouver to Calgary with a total charge time of 110 minutes. The Cyber truck will be different but it gives you a rough idea.

https://www.tesla.com/trips#/?v=MS_2...00761560000001
Those estimates are out the window while towing though. TFL's testing shows you lose 2/3 of the range when towing with the Model X. That 110 mins of charging is going to be more like 330 mins. That's 5.5 hours. It's 10 hours driving time to Calgary normally, it'll take over 15 hours with this truck + trailer.

If this thing is really is function over form, it wouldn't have those fancy door handles. Trades people don't have the cleanest hands and would probably gum up the mechanism pretty quick. No to mention Tesla should've redesigned them after someone burned to death because firefighters couldn't open the doors to get them out.

This is a truck for people who never get their trucks dirty or use them as a truck. Ever see a labourer with dry rough hands try to work a smart phone? The touches don't register and Tesla wants them to use that massive touch screen instead of buttons? I haven't seen the interior but I'm guessing the blind spots are massive.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:58 PM   #79
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Made BY pencil pushers FOR pencil pushers.
No tradesperson would ever buy this truck. Not for work.
Does it even have a box?
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-23-2019, 03:29 PM   #80
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
Tesla isn't trying to convert the guys who works in -20C hauling serious stuff in rural areas that would still require HD diesel rigs

for the casuals/hobbyists that just carries maybe a mtb/dirt bike or for home depot runs, this is will do

i have zero interest in FCA products...nor GM trucks after working ona Silverado

yeah this is breaking the mould...wish more companies are willing to experiment outside cookie cutters (Jeep Gladiator is at least pretty bold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
No to mention Tesla should've redesigned them after someone burned to death because firefighters couldn't open the doors to get them out.

I haven't seen the interior but I'm guessing the blind spots are massive.
yep, i have no idea why they're trying to make the glass 'balls' proof unless this is for law enforcement/military/gang bangers

i bet awful blind spots wont bother me in practice after a few days if there's radars, 360 cams, self-parking ai, etc
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 04:34 PM   #81
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

this.
Koflach is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-23-2019, 09:38 PM   #82
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
Tesla isn't trying to convert the guys who works in -20C hauling serious stuff in rural areas that would still require HD diesel rigs

for the casuals/hobbyists that just carries maybe a mtb/dirt bike or for home depot runs, this is will do

i have zero interest in FCA products...nor GM trucks after working ona Silverado

yeah this is breaking the mould...wish more companies are willing to experiment outside cookie cutters (Jeep Gladiator is at least pretty bold)

yep, i have no idea why they're trying to make the glass 'balls' proof unless this is for law enforcement/military/gang bangers

i bet awful blind spots wont bother me in practice after a few days if there's radars, 360 cams, self-parking ai, etc

Quote for truth.

I've never thought about getting a pickup myself due to the limited practicality in my daily routine. I'd probably use the bed in the back once a month if I had one and the mileage is quite horrifying for the rest of the time. And unless I go with the larger (crewcab) config, a truck isn't very fitting for a family.

The reason why I decided to go ahead with a preorder was just that. A "car" that has an on-demand bed when I need to haul stuff, while being suitable for a family. All built-in... no need to add/take anything. It's the first time a pickup made to be practical enough for me, a very normal J6P guy.

The tri-motor version I ordered is a sub 3sec 0-60 and 10sec 1/4miles "car". Easily the FASTEST I will probably ever own.

And seriously... this "car" has an incredible road presence that's probably only matched by a Hummer H1. Which is a very smart move. Real work people don't care about the look. They want toughness, and they want road presence if they care enough to raise it, put some big wheels/tyres, chrome/metal parts... etc. Cybertruck checks all that. Super tough, all metal and you can bet to have some big ass wheel/tires in them.

Practicality, performance and presence... you'd be hard to find another pickup on the market (either existing or announced) to be able to equal this, let alone topping it.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:50 PM   #83
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
For better or worse, it's polarizing and people are talking about it. So either way, winning.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-23-2019, 09:56 PM   #84
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
The hummer was always cool.

I have yet to hear someone that actually likes the look of this thing (even friends who have preordered) I love everything else about it though. I think Elon is trying to prove he can sell an ugly as all hell car with his technology. Ha
Old 11-23-2019, 10:07 PM   #85

Thanked 8,910 Times in 3,872 Posts
Quote:
No to mention Tesla should've redesigned them after someone burned to death because firefighters couldn't open the doors to get them out.
That's the kind of thing that had me scratching my head at the stupid "armored" windows. Why the fuck would you want that? You're more likely to be in a situation where you want the window to break than one where you need an armored window.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 11:59 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
That's the kind of thing that had me scratching my head at the stupid "armored" windows. Why the fuck would you want that? You're more likely to be in a situation where you want the window to break than one where you need an armored window.
Law enforcement.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:42 AM   #87

This post thanked by:
Old 11-24-2019, 12:51 AM   #88
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
if only I had the money...
ilovebacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 01:02 AM   #89

Quote:
Law enforcement.
If they wanted it, don't you think they'd have it already? Vehicle armour and bulletproof glass aren't exactly new. The current Dodge and Ford police vehicles have optional armoured doors but most cars are not optioned with them. The costs would be too high since police cars on average are replaced around the 100k mile mark.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:20 AM   #90

Quote:
If they wanted it, don't you think they'd have it already? Vehicle armour and bulletproof glass aren't exactly new. The current Dodge and Ford police vehicles have optional armoured doors but most cars are not optioned with them. The costs would be too high since police cars on average are replaced around the 100k mile mark.
I'm thinking swat.

Old 11-24-2019, 05:01 AM   #91

Quote:
I'm thinking swat.
Uhhh... SWAT vehicles fit 10-12 team members + equipment and are built to ram things...
Old 11-24-2019, 09:48 AM   #92
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
I think a lot of people who put down their refundable deposit will get cold feet when it times to put some real money down. This thing is far from a car with the practicality of a truck when you need it. First off, it's fucking huge. Ever try to daily a Hummer or Ford Raptor? Have fun always parking on the outskirts because you can't fit in regular parking spots. Road presence gets old when you have to plan which car you're taking because you don't know if your trucks going to make the tight turn out of the drive-thru.

If you already own a truck and still want it then by all means. If this is going to be your first big vehicle go drive a super duty or a Raptor around for a week and see if it's for you. I guarantee that tech geek in the video will not end up buying one.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-24-2019, 11:09 AM   #93

^ quite a few of the 150k reservations will get cold feet? sure...but i think more will pull out only because the options aren't ready by first delivery

it's the same size as f150, i've yet to seen those struggle in drive-thrus in north america nor parkades that wasn't built for asian malls (aberdeen/crystal mall)...i have heard new condo parking stalls aren't sized for anything larger than a compact crossover so i guess ymmv

mkbhd is a massive tesla fanboy, pretty sure he'll buy it even if he doesnt need it...$$$$

Quote:
explorer interceptor is 38k

f150 crew cab the vpd k9 unit uses i'm sure is way more than $40k cybertruck

i can see the existing police fleet being replaced by EV for 2030

Quote:
Uhhh... SWAT vehicles fit 10-12 team members + equipment and are built to ram things...

Last edited by twitchyzero; 11-24-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:13 AM   #94
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Personally I think Elon is trolling everyone with this truck hence why he's only asked for a $100 deposit. He'll probably show the "real" truck at some point.

Also, great time for his buddies to buy Tesla stock on the dip.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-24-2019, 11:53 AM   #95

100%
Old 11-24-2019, 01:13 PM   #96

hope no one is actually waiting for the 'real' Tesla truck

Musk doesn't need $1000 deposits for a mass-produced product because of model 3's commercial success

this to me is more like crowdfunding...not because you necessarily want the truck ASAP but to support the disruption of the status quo
Old 11-24-2019, 01:21 PM   #97

This is not a troll. If you look at the truck it seems very easy to build. No stamped sheet metal just stainless steel with a few bends. Having no paint saves money and it's awesome because you don't have to worry about scratches.

Some police forces already have Tesla model S and model 3's in their fleets. A model 3 long range costs 40K the US a dual-motor truck costs 50K. With more citys going green the truck is a no brainer. The reduced maintenance costs combined with the higher resale value makes the overall cost of the truck not much more than a standard police car/SUV.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:55 PM   #98

Quote:
This is not a troll. If you look at the truck it seems very easy to build. No stamped sheet metal just stainless steel with a few bends. Having no paint saves money and it's awesome because you don't have to worry about scratches.

Some police forces already have Tesla model S and model 3's in their fleets. A model 3 long range costs 40K the US a dual-motor truck costs 50K. With more citys going green the truck is a no brainer. The reduced maintenance costs combined with the higher resale value makes the overall cost of the truck not much more than a standard police car/SUV.
The way that guy hit the truck with a sledge hammer, means that stainless is some sort of mystery space metal (which he states it is, kinda), or it’s a solid 3/8”+ thick plate. That’s a lot more expensive then some stamped parts which are equally as strong in a lighter material. The body itself with thick steel like that would weigh 1000lbs. There is a ton of reasons this vehicle design makes no sense and has a few questioning its reality.

Every other Tesla is based on efficiency. They are aerodynamically superior to other cars in every way. This is the reason why a truck has not come out yet. The battery technology has not been available to make up for the extra drag from a pickup. Reducing the drag by aerodynamics or weight. This truck does none of that. Just load up the batteries until they get the range they want? Huge expense. The whole thing doesn’t make sense.

The guy is a genius nutcase. I’m a huge skeptic but anything is possible with this guy.

Last edited by hud 91gt; 11-24-2019 at 02:08 PM.
hud 91gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 02:05 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
Personally I think Elon is trolling everyone with this truck hence why he's only asked for a $100 deposit. He'll probably show the "real" truck at some point.

Also, great time for his buddies to buy Tesla stock on the dip.
I'm thinking this as well. Does anyone truly believe this thing would even pass DOT safety requirements? There's a reason why civilian vehicles don't have sharp edges on the front end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
explorer interceptor is 38k

f150 crew cab the vpd k9 unit uses i'm sure is way more than $40k cybertruck
But a $40k USD cybertruck isn't a police vehicle yet. It needs the necessary modifications. The Ford interceptor is rear crash tested for 75mph. I don't know what kind of mods are needed for the Cybertruck to withstand that kind of hit and not damage the battery pack.

Quote:
I'm sure there are, just as some police departments have Lamborghinis and GTRs. They're specialty vehicles and are not the norm in their fleet. I'm sure they'll all be clean energy vehicles one day but this is not it. With today's attitude towards police, do you really think they want to be rolling around in authoritarian looking vehicles?
Old 11-24-2019, 02:14 PM   #100
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
It'll be interesting to see how close the production model actually is. No side mirrors is still illegal at the moment, the light bar headlights and one above the windshield look illegal as fuck. I doubt those meaty mud terrain tires will make it to the final product if they want to keep their range numbers up. How about the rear end edges that will take your kids eye out if they are playing around it in the front yard?

Seems very much like a concept vehicle to drum up attention.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote