REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-24-2019, 02:28 PM   #101
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post

I'm sure there are, just as some police departments have Lamborghinis and GTRs. They're specialty vehicles and are not the norm in their fleet. I'm sure they'll all be clean energy vehicles one day but this is not it. With today's attitude towards police, do you really think they want to be rolling around in authoritarian looking vehicles?
Used as a patrol car. Plan to replace the whole fleet with Tesla's.

This is what police use in the states now.

Advertisement
Old 11-24-2019, 03:12 PM   #102
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Used as a patrol car. Plan to replace the whole fleet with Tesla's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6KTAzaGWNA

Bargersville is less than 5 square miles with a population of 4000. They can get away with an electric car if they're just sitting at the station most of the time.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:34 PM   #103
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
which sharp edge are you referring to? doesn't seem any significantly more dangerous to peds than say a Suburban or other 6000 lbs bricks

let's say this really does break hips ,they simply just add another flat plane, done
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 03:41 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
No side mirrors is still illegal at the moment

How about the rear end edges that will take your kids eye out if they are playing around it in the front yard?
quite a few EV are forgoing side mirrors for cameras to reduce drag...and honestly Tesla features like Smart Summon are illegal, yes in production vehicles in the thousands on our roads right now...doesn't mean they're gonna get taken off the road, just gonna take a while for legislation/public reaction to catch up to what's acceptable in society

your last statement sounds like fear of the unkown, if you're really worried just bubble wrap it

Last edited by twitchyzero; 11-24-2019 at 03:46 PM.
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-24-2019, 03:55 PM   #105

Quote:
Bargersville is less than 5 square miles with a population of 4000. They can get away with an electric car if they're just sitting at the station most of the time.
Fremont pop over 230k

Luxembourg police have 2 pop 600k.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-l...-idUSKBN1KA1I0

And more coming.
Old 11-24-2019, 04:08 PM   #106

even though i think the model 3 front end is a joke that the model X looks worse than a 90s Previa, don't forget von Holzhausen was the one who brought us the Furai

Old 11-24-2019, 04:11 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
which sharp edge are you referring to? doesn't seem any significantly more dangerous to peds than say a Suburban or other 6000 lbs bricks

let's say this really does break hips ,they simply just add another flat plane, done
I probably should've said edges and corners. The corners above the headlights could cut someone easily. There's no way this can pass pedestrian safety crash tests as is. I can see them bringing that lower front bumper forward. I don't think the hood is allowed to be further forward than the bumper like that.
Old 11-24-2019, 04:26 PM   #108
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Quote:
quite a few EV are forgoing side mirrors for cameras to reduce drag...and honestly Tesla features like Smart Summon are illegal, yes in production vehicles in the thousands on our roads right now...doesn't mean they're gonna get taken off the road, just gonna take a while for legislation/public reaction to catch up to what's acceptable in society

your last statement sounds like fear of the unkown, if you're really worried just bubble wrap it
I just don't think they'll release a truck with a point like that. Loading and unloading shit out of your bed and you have to watch from catching yourself on a jagged edge as you come around the side all in the name of style?
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-24-2019, 04:28 PM   #109

Quote:
Luxembourg police have 2 pop 600k.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-l...-idUSKBN1KA1I0

And more coming.
Both are pilot projects. From the article

"But Lentz said it was too early to say whether Luxembourg would buy more Tesla cars. Local media said the police had paid some 100,000 euros ($116,450) for each car due to special police requirements. Police declined to confirm the figure."

Life of a police vehicle is rough. That's a lot of money to spend on something that could be wrecked the next day because they had to purposely ram another vehicle. Got some interesting results googling for "Tesla police car" though.
Old 11-24-2019, 06:46 PM   #110
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
you do know the model 3 has a range of over 300 miles or 500 km.
Koflach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:38 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koflach View Post
you do know the model 3 has a range of over 300 miles or 500 km.
Yes I do... that's why I said it's okay for a small town. It's okay if they forget to plug the car in once in a while.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:39 PM   #112

Quote:
Yes I do... that's why I said it's okay for a small town. It's okay if they forget to plug the car in once in a while.
https://cleantechnica.com/2019/09/29...w-battery-fud/

Quote:
“Our Department has unfortunately been in the news this week for an incident involving our electric police patrol vehicle (Tesla Model S). We first deployed the Tesla in March of this year as a fully outfitted patrol vehicle. Over the first six months, the performance feedback and initial data collection has been very positive and we are in early discussions of expanding the program. During a pursuit last Friday night, the battery charge began to run low, and we’d like the opportunity to clarify and provide additional context with regard to what occurred.

“On Friday afternoon, a patrol officer checked out our Tesla patrol vehicle at the start of his shift and noticed the battery was half-charged. A typical battery at full charge ranges from 220–240 miles and during an 11 hour patrol shift, Fremont patrol officers drive approximately 70–90 miles. While not policy, we recommend officers begin their shift with at least a half tank of gas or in this case, a battery charge of 50%. On this date, our officer driving the Tesla noted approximately 50% of battery life when he began his shift. While the vehicle is routinely charged between shifts, on Friday the vehicle had just been returned from our Corporation Yard. The vehicle is regularly returning at the end of every shift with 40–60%, if not more, of the battery charge remaining.

“Nine hours into the officer’s shift, at 11:05 p.m., he became involved in a vehicle pursuit that lasted a total of 8 minutes. The pursuit began in our Irvington District and traveled on Washington Blvd., before merging southbound onto I 680 towards San Jose. Within minutes, two additional Fremont patrol units were behind the Tesla and in the pursuit. Additionally, the California Highway Patrol (CHP) was notified and responding. As standard protocol, once CHP has sufficient units, they take over our pursuits on the freeway.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:12 PM   #113
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Yeah, stuff like this is going to happen during the growing pains of new technology being introduced to people who aren't use to it but this is clearly the exception and not the rule. Hopefully this is a lesson learned for the member and they know that they should stop for a donut and get a charge.
Koflach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:53 PM   #114
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Quote:

Lol, there is no way this truck in it's current form would be approved for road use.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 12:00 AM   #115

i'm no iihs officer but i ain't too concerned esp when these are on the roads

Old 11-25-2019, 05:30 AM   #116

To be fair, at least we know the driver is awake in those vehicles.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:24 AM   #117
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Size comparison between Model 3 and Cybertruck

It's as big as it is fugly and these damn things will be everywhere lol
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 07:26 AM   #118
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,341 Times in 5,649 Posts
In terms of a commercial success as well, this truck is pretty much 100% relying on the North American market.

Tesla’s and EV’s in general are almost non existent in Europe. Even places like London you’d be hard pressed to spot a handful over a few days. And almost no one drives half tonne pickups over there, let alone this thing
Old 11-25-2019, 08:45 AM   #119
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
If you think a welder would ever buy this thing you’ve never met a welder lol.

As much as they want to tote this as some kind of trades solution, I can pretty much guarantee you this thing ain’t gonna be parked at many job sites.

Also, it will be a decade or more before EV trucks ever have the long range towing payload of a one tonne or 3/4 tonne diesel. The guy with the 3500 Cummins will be in Calgary towing a 5th wheel trailer a day and a half before the Tesla has made its 6th stop to charge in the kootneys
For long range, stick a diesel(or gas) generator in the bed. Basically made your own diesel hybrid vehicle. For sure somebody will market this.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-25-2019, 09:41 AM   #120

if you want a hybrid get the upcoming Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
In terms of a commercial success as well, this truck is pretty much 100% relying on the North American market.

Tesla’s and EV’s in general are almost non existent in Europe. Even places like London you’d be hard pressed to spot a handful over a few days. And almost no one drives half tonne pickups over there, let alone this thing
same can be said about any pick-ups (possibly some niches like Australia too)...regardless the home market is massive as a few million units are moved each year

Scandinavia is leading the EV wave

deposits hit 200k yesterday
Old 11-25-2019, 10:13 AM   #121

When I was in Europe a few years back I saw one pickup truck and it was a F150. Thats one in 11 days.

In my copy of Septembers police law enforcement magazine.

add on armor kit for police cars.

Dodge Durango pursuit 40K. Now if you add the armor that only covers the front door you are looking at spending close to $45000. Only 15k less than a Tesla truck that's fully covered in armor and thats faster. Add the fuel/maintenance savings plus the better resale value it would be cheaper to get the Tesla.

I wonder how many cans of this you will need to polish the truck.

Old 11-25-2019, 10:40 AM   #122
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
Quote:
I wonder how many cans of this you will need to polish the truck.

Spoiler!
hah, real polishers use this

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:15 PM   #123

doug dee think it's a bad value...but forgot to take into account a truck's awful fuel economy/costs

Old 11-25-2019, 01:22 PM   #124

Let's be honest, even if Tesla made the perfect truck it's going to have a hard time making any kind of significant dent in the pickup market. The brand loyalists have already written it off, it's just the way it is they wouldn't sway if a better truck got up and slapped them in the face. Then you got the people who actually use their truck for work and depend on it for a living. Chances are they're out because the Tesla is unproven. People who tow a lot? Yeah they want to fill up and be on their way, not wait around to charge.

Up next you have guys like me, I don't NEED a truck but I like the versatility of having the bed when I need it and being able to take it places a regular car can't go. I'm out because the Tesla won't fit in my garage and I have no place to charge it outside. Maybe some people have different situations but I'm sure many are in the same boat.

So you're pretty much left with the group of people who buy Nissan Titans and Honda Ridgelines. Go check out how well they have cracked the market. Once Ford drops their electric F150 that number will drop even more. I'm sure their will be some initial craze for it and Tesla won't be able to keep up with the demand cause they make only one truck a day, but I expect it to be a sliver of overall truck sales.

I've been wrong before but that's my guess.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-25-2019, 02:00 PM   #125

Quote:
Elon Musk
@elonmusk
6:18 PM · Nov 24, 2019·Twitter for iPhone
That's in 3 days. How many Mach E mustangs has ford sold?