REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-01-2020, 02:07 PM   #1001
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,413 Posts
Richmond Walmart was perfectly stocked and civilized. No sign of any hoarding or panic.
Advertisement
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 02:20 PM   #1002
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,725 Times in 3,141 Posts
I’m loving all this craziness. The restaurants are empty, the roads in Richmond are clear and pretty much all the nutjob/crazy’s are hiding at home. Keep it coming !
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 02:55 PM   #1003
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

^ The fact is u can get sick from somebody not showing symptoms yet. In some cases people who have this don't even know (yet) or will show any symptoms whatsoever, Asymptomatic carriers is how it spread in Washington. So little bit of caution is given. Avoid large gathering etc. And thus stocking up makes sense as u don't have to go shopping often, exposing urself to more risk. it's not overreacting. But don't go crazy and buy 10 bags of Rice. That's just stupid
Rallydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 02:58 PM   #1004
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,824 Times in 8,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseman View Post

Newly Completed Genomic study strongly suggests that there has been cryptic (undetected) transmission in Washington State for the past 6 weeks.

How many people around Snohomish County have been driving back and forth up to BC in the past 6 weeks?

We seriously fucked.
Guys, quit saying "we're fucked". I've been trying to tell you guys that it was a matter of time before it reaches pandemic status. I kept saying, it's coming, be prepared, take caution, but don't panic.

We're not fucked (yet). Just be cautious and try to ride this shit out.

Most of all, look out for each other. Take care of those in need. Now is not the time to be a capitalist scumbag - we have to rely on each other now more than ever. If you are taking care of elderly, help make sure they are doing the right things to prevent catching it. Don't go to crowds, wash their hands often, wear masks and gloves if they do go out.

If you don't NEED to be in a crazy boxing-day-shopping-like environment yet, don't go there. There will be food and toilet paper when you need it. It's not a zombie apocalypse

Also don't be racist. Been seeing some of that too, and it's the worst time for it
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2020, 03:02 PM   #1005
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
I still don't quite get with all the panic buying yesterday. If anything, that exposes your risk even higher with the concentration of people, if there is that one person that is actually sick.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2020, 03:45 PM   #1006
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,282 Times in 1,970 Posts
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 05:51 PM   #1007
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,402 Times in 552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
I still don't quite get with all the panic buying yesterday. If anything, that exposes your risk even higher with the concentration of people, if there is that one person that is actually sick.
When faced with uncontrollable circumstances, most of society has been trained the only thing we CAN control is having "stuff".
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:40 PM   #1008
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Guys, quit saying "we're fucked". I've been trying to tell you guys that it was a matter of time before it reaches pandemic status. I kept saying, it's coming, be prepared, take caution, but don't panic.
I was really just saying it's inevitable and agreeing with the original poster, no panic intended.

For those questioning why people like myself are preparing, I have kids and immunocompromised parents/in-laws who are all in their 70s. The further I can prevent it from reaching us, the better. I know people are going to say it doesn't affect children as badly, but if you've ever had sick kids, you'd understand it's the worst feeling in the world.

Preparation now is better than panic-buying in a month when everyone else will be at the stores. The worst case scenario of having overbought essentials? I just don't have to go to Costco for the next month or two.
eclipseman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2020, 07:15 PM   #1009
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
I’m loving all this craziness. The restaurants are empty, the roads in Richmond are clear and pretty much all the nutjob/crazy’s are hiding at home. Keep it coming !
Richmond + pretty much all Chinese restaurants are fairly empty and have like crazy promos. My friend's mom (who is Chinese) flat out refuses to eat in Richmond restaurants and only does Western food in downtown

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2020, 07:18 PM   #1010

Thanked 4,017 Times in 1,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStars View Post
My friend's mom (who is Chinese) flat out refuses to eat in Richmond restaurants and only does Western food in downtown
Where the majority of Chinese people are now going.

Have to think counter mob ... now is perfect time to go to Chinese restaurants in Richmond, cuz nobody is there.

Last edited by whitev70r; 03-01-2020 at 09:28 PM.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2020, 07:26 PM   #1011

Thanked 2,755 Times in 701 Posts
Geese, so many chinese giving us a bad name. The way they act in public is so embarassing. Acting like a bunch of hooligans.

Costco at Still Creek and Richmond is a total gongshow. I have friends that work at both and they are telling me how crazy it's been this past week.

They told me the reason why Costco is busier than other places is because of their return policy, they were told people are just buying a bunch of crap and if it's all good they can return it.. You can't return stuff six months later to superstore... Which may explain why costco is a lot busier.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2020, 07:26 PM   #1012
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseman View Post
I was really just saying it's inevitable and agreeing with the original poster, no panic intended.

For those questioning why people like myself are preparing, I have kids and immunocompromised parents/in-laws who are all in their 70s. The further I can prevent it from reaching us, the better. I know people are going to say it doesn't affect children as badly, but if you've ever had sick kids, you'd understand it's the worst feeling in the world.

Preparation now is better than panic-buying in a month when everyone else will be at the stores. The worst case scenario of having overbought essentials? I just don't have to go to Costco for the next month or two.
Wife and I been shopping like the ways we always do. If it is something we use (toilet paper, pasta, Tyneol etc etc) if we see it on sale we would buy it. We didn't really "stock up". I think with what we normally have at home we could last a month or so with what we have (of course we will need to buy meats, vegetables) we don't tend to stock up on them since after awhile they do go bad (even on meat they have an expire date on the label when you buy them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStars View Post
Richmond + pretty much all Chinese restaurants are fairly empty and have like crazy promos. My friend's mom (who is Chinese) flat out refuses to eat in Richmond restaurants and only does Western food in downtown
Was just at DT for dinner at five sails. There are literally 3 tables including me and my wife. I don't really think people are eating out much. Could be coz is DT and Five sails rely on tourist and since there are less tourist they are dead? Back in Coq I don't see a difference in terms of people going out to eat. Places wife and I usually go for dinner around our place (Japan, Chinese, Korean) business is the same to us.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 08:21 PM   #1013
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,824 Times in 8,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
Geese, so many chinese giving us a bad name. The way they act in public is so embarassing. Acting like a bunch of hooligans.

Costco at Still Creek and Richmond is a total gongshow. I have friends that work at both and they are telling me how crazy it's been this past week.

They told me the reason why Costco is busier than other places is because of their return policy, they were told people are just buying a bunch of crap and if it's all good they can return it.. You can't return stuff six months later to superstore... Which may explain why costco is a lot busier.
It takes more to get white people to freak out on the same scale, but when they do I bet it'll be as bad if not worse. I mean just look at what happens on Black Friday, and that's just to save some money buying trash gifts.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2020, 08:43 PM   #1014
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
Then you'll panic buy later with little stock around amongst more sick people.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 09:06 PM   #1015
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,045 Times in 2,078 Posts
NASA images of reduced pollution since factories shut down.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6615635/c...pollution/amp/

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2020, 09:22 PM   #1016

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM GTO View Post
Not sure if any one has mentioned before in the previous pages, or if you were looking for a serious answer, but there was this rumor that the material used to make masks is the same as toilet paper and tissue paper. So, at least here ( in Japan) people started hoarding anything paper related...Costco Japan had to limit one pack per customer.
And what do they do with a large amount of toilet paper? Cover their face with it...
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 09:22 PM   #1017
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,515 Times in 4,906 Posts
Perhaps when the citizens of chinar see clear skies over their cities for the first time in years, they'll finally get it. NO2 for now, but it's a start.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 09:23 PM   #1018
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebacon View Post
And what do they do with a large amount of toilet paper? Cover their face with it...
wet them and press masks out of the pulp?

Old 03-01-2020, 09:28 PM   #1019

Quote:
Maybe, back in history class in high school. During the world wars, they pee on towels to cover their face to avoid gases.
Old 03-01-2020, 09:34 PM   #1020

The best place to be right now is probably Russia.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6
Old 03-01-2020, 09:50 PM   #1021
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebacon View Post
The best place to be right now is probably Russia.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6
Russia closed their border off pretty early IIRC and isn't as popular of an international destination.

My friend who is in the KHL said that none of the teams were allowed into China. It's kind of funny because he plays for the only Chinese team in the league, the Kunlun Red Stars.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 10:06 PM   #1022
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Quote:
Have people been buying up cigarette filters yet? LOL
Old 03-01-2020, 10:47 PM   #1023
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
Have people been buying up cigarette filters yet? LOL
Tampons?

Old 03-01-2020, 11:24 PM   #1024
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
I was in the US as wife got a bit paranoid and asked me to load up some grocery and stuff because Costco Richmond seemed to be impossible to get in when she was there earlier in the morning

No lineup or anything at Costco Burlington. But you could clearly tell that they have been under siege. Only chicken meat left are chicken breasts and no organic ones.

Some of the items like Kirkland shit paper are out, but I am loaded with Charmin so I had 0 intention to get anything. But overall seemed well-stocked on everything else.

Ended up loading a lot of frozen fruits/veggies/meat, pastas, snacks and whatnot... came out 400USD poorer.

Then I went to TJ on the way back. It's still pretty well stocked, but the pasta sauce and pastry food section definitely took a beating as I could easily see tons of empty spaces here and there. Load up a bunch of the usual stuff with some extra emphasis in nonperishable foods and condiments... totaled just under $140.

I think we are loaded for now. With everything at home, we can stay in lockdown mode comfortably for about a month and probably double that if we plan accordingly. I even have an almost full propane tank plus a bunch of little breen one I got last year when they were on sale. So I'm fully prepared even if all basic utilities are cut off.
Old 03-01-2020, 11:45 PM   #1025

Thanked 2,346 Times in 973 Posts
Normal people still doing normal shit; PNE comic event this weekend, Vancouver Bike show, theatres are still open, schools still in session with 30k at SFu at all 3 campus.

People are still going to high school AAA basketball finals, canucks, whitecaps, close contact dancing; salsa + tango+ ball room etc... no one is giving a single fuck.

Asians are scared as fuck; i told my friend you better tone down your esorts. Before he was all about mainland china girls... but after this Wuhan scared, he went Korean... BAM....Koreans are lock down mode...he's running out of girls nationality options.. ahahhaahh
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: