REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-09-2020, 08:02 PM   #1301
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,825 Times in 3,905 Posts
anyone hear of restaurants/attractions putting on specials, do share
Advertisement
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:06 PM   #1302
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
a lot of chinese seafood restaurants are having sales.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:07 PM   #1303
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
How are king crab prices for March? March is usually king crab season.
HonestTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:17 PM   #1304
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStars View Post
I'll never understand why our government is being REACTIVE compared to PROACTIVE. The evidence of community spread is already there and I'm confident that with our lax quarantine policy that there will be many more. Yet our government doesn't think this way.
My uncle lives in Bari. Not even northern Italy where the majority of cases have been found.
His business is likely to go under and he'll be bankrupt. I imagine most businesses in Italy are in the same boat. Especially now with this nationwide quarantine.

So there is that. It may be short sighted, but you must understand the reluctance.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz

Last edited by welfare; 03-09-2020 at 08:52 PM.
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2020, 08:30 PM   #1305
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,291 Times in 1,975 Posts

So much bad news. Time to cheer up!
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2020, 08:49 PM   #1306
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Italy under total lockdown now

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51810673

I wonder if the "Healthcare professionals (who) look at hard facts and statistics" will start to consider that this is... well a factual thing that is actually happening?

But no, if you're under 80, you are totally safe. "more likely to die from a car accident than to die from COVID-19" so just don't worry about it. Hey look at that guy wearing a face mask, what a total dork! lol
Seriously, if you were referring to twdm, you really need to start improving on your reading comprehension, stop consistently putting words in people's mouth, and actually have an open mind and try to understand what people are saying.

NO WHERE, like absolutely NO WHERE, did he say to take the virus lightly, or not to worry. If I understand him correctly, he's offering what he thinks makes the situation WORSE, he's not telling people to go around and spread the virus.

Extra precautions? What extra precautions should you be taking? We are all suppose to be washing our hands REGARDLESS of the flu, covering our mouths when we cough, avoid crowds (especially during flu season), stay at home if you are sick. These aren't EXTRA precautions, these are STANDARD precautions, during flu season, or even at all times, to make sure we don't spread any crazy disease.

But do we see majority of people doing that on a regular basis? NO. Because nothing is going on, no one is dying. But all of a sudden coronavirus comes, and people all of a sudden start washing their hands etc, that's LITERALLY panic. YES, you should be practicing these precautions IMMEDIATELY, but you should've been practicing it ALL ALONG, not "O shit, this look serious, better wash my hands now or else I'll die"

You're absolutely correct, we should take this seriously, BUT we should've been taking any proper hygiene seriously at all times. IF anyone of us (myself for sure) have learnt anything from SARS, we won't even be having a conversation whether it's necessary to wash your hands, avoid crowds, stay at home if you are sick etc.

Also, few pages in and you’re already calling it possibly as bad as Spanish flu? Then you started throwing these R0 numbers around. Good for you if you have the brains to understand what it means. But I’m not going to pretend I do, just by reading a couple of articles online or Wikipedia, unless I have some sort of medical education background to understand what it means and it’s limitations. I’m not going to start throwing these numbers out just to convince people to take this virus seriously.

Last edited by trd2343; 03-09-2020 at 09:25 PM.
trd2343 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2020, 08:56 PM   #1307
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
What exactly is Italy's lockdown? Are all businesses closed and everyone has to stay home?
Old 03-09-2020, 09:11 PM   #1308
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
On a side note.

Everyone should have an emergency kit at home for 72 hours.

Earth quake, zombies, tsunami, viral pandemic, etc....

Better to have it and not need it than need it and it have it

T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2020, 09:23 PM   #1309
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
What exactly is Italy's lockdown? Are all businesses closed and everyone has to stay home?
Yes, clubs restaurants cinemas operas sporting events (soccer games) etc etc closed
ppl can't travel within the country unless its an emergency/they have a permit etc
Transit is still running, but use is restricted to those with permits, don't know where ppl are supposed to get permits tho
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:30 PM   #1310
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
I'll never understand why our government is being REACTIVE compared to PROACTIVE. The evidence of community spread is already there and I'm confident that with our lax quarantine policy that there will be many more. Yet our government doesn't think this way.
They should take a cue from taiwan with how theyre very proactive in disinfecting... everything, monitoring ppl, and down to informing citizens on where stock can be found for masks/sanitizers

What's insane is that Taiwan isn't allowed to be a WHO member, not even an observer status
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:41 PM   #1311
My homepage has been set to RS

yes more special from restaurant
time to eat covid-19 away
danned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:52 PM   #1312

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4RAWR View Post
On a side note.

Everyone should have an emergency kit at home for 72 hours.

Earth quake, zombies, tsunami, viral pandemic, etc....

Better to have it and not need it than need it and it have it

I keep telling myself to get one. Still, don't have any.
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2020, 10:09 PM   #1313
nah

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
They should take a cue from taiwan with how theyre very proactive in disinfecting... everything, monitoring ppl, and down to informing citizens on where stock can be found for masks/sanitizers

What's insane is that Taiwan isn't allowed to be a WHO member, not even an observer status
Speaks to the volume of how China influences WHO.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/14/asia/...hnk/index.html
nah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:31 PM   #1314
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,355 Times in 975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Yes, clubs restaurants cinemas operas sporting events (soccer games) etc etc closed
ppl can't travel within the country unless its an emergency/they have a permit etc
Transit is still running, but use is restricted to those with permits, don't know where ppl are supposed to get permits tho
Nothern italy only. Colnago biccle shop is closed until futher notice.
There are some countries trying to ask for "certificate of good health" before you can travel... but no one actually knows where you can obtain the certifiicate as private health care can't even get the test kits.
6793026 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:34 PM   #1315
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestTea View Post
How are king crab prices for March? March is usually king crab season.
last i check was ssw vancouver $30/lb
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2020, 01:21 AM   #1316

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
This is great news.

ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2020, 01:23 AM   #1317
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,831 Times in 8,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trd2343 View Post
Extra precautions? What extra precautions should you be taking?
Not going to get into the nastiness of most of your post, but this is the key here. What precautions can we take personally? Well like you said, it's pretty clear what that is.

However, as many people are pointing out, the government is not taking a proactive stance to prepare for this. Because despite what people want to believe, a lot of people ARE going to get this, no matter how many precautions you are I take. We saw someone earlier in this thread talk about how he's not going to change his life whatsoever. Those ignorant reckless people are why this can spread faster than you would ever believe.

So knowing that there are people like that around, even in this tiny community, the govt has to get ready for a huge huge shitstorm. You will wash your hands and maybe wear a mask, as will probably most people in here. But not everyone. And that is what keeps that "R0" number high. The death rate, despite what some people want to believe, is very high for such a rapidly spreading disease. No it's not 100% fatal, and won't kill young healthy people. But it's bad enough to be worried about. Unless you're literally a psychopath who thinks it doesn't matter if a bunch of old/sick people die.

So what are your constituents doing about it? Are they preparing quarantine facilities? Arranging for the huge overwhelming overcrowding that may happen? Are they willing to block travelers from highly infected regions? Are they canceling large gatherings like concerts and sports events? Are they blocking cruises? (honestly I don't know the answer to any of this, I don't pay a ton of attention to local Vancouver news).

HK and Singapore showed that even in densely populated areas with thousands of direct travelers from infected zones, that they can keep things relatively in check. Yes, it took thousands of people putting their asses on the line to do so, but they were able to do it. These countries have been there before with SARS, and while the HK govt didn't handle it well at first, because they are utterly incompetent to the point of maliciousness, the citizens forced them into it. Singapore was more prepared, and are handling it as well.

We all know the extra precautions the people should be taking, but what are we doing if that's not enough to keep hospitals from being completely overwhelmed?

I did give that pharmacist guy a hard time, but his post was unwarranted, talking about all these "facts" that were actually completely illegitimate and potentially dangerous. No he didn't say to not wash your hands, not sure why you'd think anyone accused him of that. My only intention of that admittedly snarky post was that I really hope he actually IS starting to follow and understand actual facts, and separating them from his opinions that mean no more or less than mine. I try to make it pretty clear when I'm talking about facts or my own opinions. And when someone says I am not speaking factually, I don't double down on it, I try to clear things up.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2020, 05:11 AM   #1318
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 8,778 Times in 3,162 Posts
Uhhhh how the fuck am I gonna get parts ?! Vespa needs service. Needed recall on fuel pump, but they don’t stock it here and need to get it from Italy. Their supplier in Italy isn’t even working nor apparently is the piaggio factory. Not a clue as to when I’ll be able to get this recall performed.

I can’t imagine how it’s going to be with my other Italian toy this year.

Plz don’t break down plz don’t break down plz don’t break down.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2020, 07:15 AM   #1319
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Being proactive means they might hurt "certain race" feelings. Remember this gov feels other feelings is more important anything else. Or maybe people get work up too easily.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:02 AM   #1320
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,392 Times in 5,667 Posts
If you wanted to follow any countries take why wouldn’t you copy Russia

The larger country with direct ties to Iran etc. And they’ve hovered around 20 cases for weeks now.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:18 AM   #1321
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,507 Times in 5,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
If you wanted to follow any countries take why wouldn’t you copy Russia

The larger country with direct ties to Iran etc. And they’ve hovered around 20 cases for weeks now.
I highly doubt mother Russia is being honest about anything they report through their state controlled media....
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2020, 08:22 AM   #1322
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,458 Times in 991 Posts
same as iran, my friend said that there are thousands of deaths in iran and the gov has only reported a few hundred.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2020, 08:28 AM   #1323
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,392 Times in 5,667 Posts
Well yea, of course that was going to be the assumption.

So really who do you trust? Can’t trust China can’t trust Russia, can’t trust Iran

We’re getting posts from TV doctors and people who’s business is causing panic but we can’t believe the BC Center for disease control when they say the risk of infection is minimal?

:/
Old 03-10-2020, 08:44 AM   #1324

Thanked 2,355 Times in 975 Posts
Too me a while to find what the USA's numbers.
I'm refraining judgment, just wanted to see how it ranks against rest of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
Uhhhh how the fuck am I gonna get parts ?! Vespa needs service. Needed recall on fuel pump, but they don’t stock it here and need to get it from Italy. Their supplier in Italy isn’t even working nor apparently is the piaggio factory. Not a clue as to when I’ll be able to get this recall performed.
Car dealerships had a hard time last few weeks, high end cars like jag + Land Rover were having painful times (esp. during chinese new years + stop production). They had to pull parks from existing cars sitting on the lot / unsold to take out to send out to countries to fix. Again, I can't see it being THAT extreme, but I'm not surprised.

Quote:
Honestly think it's to calm and control the public. Falk, if people are going apeshit on toilet paper with ZERO rationale at costco, I can't imagine if any governement issuing a press release on an actual health scare.
Look at Trump + Canada + HK and even China... none of them came out saying "hey, we have to brace ourselves for ________, there will be a influx of _________, please be aware of ________ by doing a, b and c"

We can't even get the Vancouverites to "prepare" for 5 inches of snow during "snowstorm" and state of emergency of whatever typhoon / toronado in midwest USA.... (remember it took FEMA 3-5 days for fresh water back then) I I doubt any government can be proactive to deal with this COVID-19.

Last edited by 6793026; 03-10-2020 at 08:56 AM.
6793026 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2020, 09:28 AM   #1325

Thanked 4,021 Times in 1,914 Posts
I know some of you will think that Canadian government is blowing smoke and are too soft but fwiw:

Canada's first COVID-19 death is not cause for panic — but shows need to protect most vulnerable
https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/coron...eath-1.5491907

"More than 80 per cent of COVID-19 infections are estimated to be mild,meaning symptoms are manageable and not life-threatening, compared with 15 per cent that are severe and five per cent that are critical and require ventilation.

"The majority of people who get this infection have mild disease and recover," said Dr. Jocelyn Srigley, a physician and clinical assistant professor with the department of pathology and lab medicine at the University of British Columbia.

In patients aged 70 to 79, that fatality rate increases to eight per cent, and for those above 80 years old, it rises to almost 15 per cent. "It's not unexpected that we would see patients in those age groups dying of this disease and it's similar with many other infections that with age your chance of dying from it goes up."

Canadians need to understand that the vast majority of us are going to manage well if infected with the illness, with most not even requiring hospitalization, says infectious disease physician Dr. Isaac Bogoch at Toronto General Hospital.

"We know this COVID-19 infection can disproportionately make individuals who are elderly and individuals with chronic medical conditions more sick, but we also know that almost any infection or condition can make that population more ill as well," he said.

Last edited by whitev70r; 03-10-2020 at 08:16 PM.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: