REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   mass shooter in nova scotia dressed as RCMP caught (https://www.revscene.net/forums/716878-mass-shooter-nova-scotia-dressed-rcmp-caught.html)

Bouncing Bettys 05-14-2020 04:30 PM

Spoiler!

The silence from those who support the ban and the method in which it was enacted, is deafening. Seems like a bunch of partisans, willing to sacrifice their rights to own their ideological opponents. Pathetic and terrifying in the face of democracy and person liberties.

Manic! 05-14-2020 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys (Post 8986388)
The silence from those who support the ban and the method in which it was enacted, is deafening. Seems like a bunch of partisans, willing to sacrifice their rights to own their ideological opponents. Pathetic and terrifying in the face of democracy and person liberties.

I could care less about what method the government used. You are only upset because it's happening to you.

https://i.imgur.com/bQz4p3F.jpg

JD¹³ 05-15-2020 10:16 AM

This is a brutal read. More details emerge about what transpired throughout this event and it's horrendous. I feel for the officers on the ground who responded to this. Total failure by the RCMP at the leadership and organizational level.

https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/...de-by-the-rcmp

Mikoyan 05-15-2020 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD¹³ (Post 8986452)
This is a brutal read. More details emerge about what transpired throughout this event and it's horrendous. I feel for the officers on the ground who responded to this. Total failure by the RCMP at the leadership and organizational level.

https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/...de-by-the-rcmp

Yeah, that was brutal. The firehouse Blue on Blue shooting explains why they had announced at the time a use of force investigation at the time.

Hondaracer 05-15-2020 11:52 AM

Jesus Christ the ineptitude of it all..

welfare 05-15-2020 02:15 PM

Well when applicants to the force are receding, and they call on the social engineers to craft new recruitment regulations, it shouldn't be much of a surprise to see cases like this completely bungled.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/rcm...nder-1.4954015

JD¹³ 05-19-2020 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys (Post 8986388)

Total ignorance from a spoiled rotten generation who've never had to work or fight for the rights and freedoms they enjoy today. It's no surprise they're so soft and apathetic to those freedoms being eroded. When presented with facts against their virtuous opinions they go silent as demonstrated in this thread.

Hard times -> hard people -> soft times -> soft people (we are here) -> hard times....

welfare 05-23-2020 09:17 PM

Kudos to Ms Parker. I'll be quite interested to see how the case unfolds.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/court...deral-gun-ban/
Quote:

The application names the Attorney General of Canada, the RCMP and the registrar of firearms as respondents, and requests any future hearing on the matter to be held in Ottawa.

According to the application, Friedman intends to call evidence to demonstrate the firearms banned under the regulation (SOR/2020-96) “are reasonable for use in Canada for hunting or sporting purposes” and “do not pose a disproportionate risk to public safety.”

The government’s “opinion to the contrary is not supported by the evidence,” Friedman argues, “and is therefore unreasonable.”

The legal challenge will include evidence from public health and firearms policy researchers, sport shooting and hunting experts and firearms engineers, the application states, to contest the language of the ban and to contradict “assertions made by senior members of government, including the Prime Minister.”

The evidence will demonstrate, according to Friedman, that “virtually every statement” contained either within the order or in various public pronouncements “is either false, out-of-context or otherwise misleading.”

Manic! 05-26-2020 03:57 PM

In two different polls a vast majority of Canadians support the gun ban.

Four-in-five Canadians support complete ban on civilian possession of assault style weapons - Angus Reid Institute

https://web.archive.org/web/20200526...ssault-Weapons

https://www.ipsos.com/sites/default/...05-26-v1_0.pdf

If the cons make this an issue it's not going to turn out good for them.

RRxtar 05-26-2020 07:32 PM

The government of Canada's own report on the ban disagrees with your small sample size targeted polls

https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/r.../index-en.aspx

Manic! 05-26-2020 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRxtar (Post 8987702)
The government of Canada's own report on the ban disagrees with your small sample size targeted polls

https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/r.../index-en.aspx

Quote:

To engage a diversity of key stakeholders in the dialogue, Public Safety held a series of eight in-person roundtables in four cities: Vancouver (October 22, 2018), Montreal (October 25, 2018), Toronto (October 26, 2018) and Moncton (October 29, 2018). Two sessions– each 2.5 hours in length – were held per day in each location.
A lot has happened since 2018 and people that show up to these meetings are usually heavily invested in the situation.

RRxtar 05-30-2020 12:09 PM

https://mobile.twitter.com/globalnew...52720098119680

What were you saying about polls?

Manic! 05-30-2020 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRxtar (Post 8988199)

An online poll where people can vote multiple times from any country, really? LOL!!!

The way Ipsos does a poll is completely different than an online poll. Online polls don't mean sh/t and can easily be manipulated.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/...acked-internet

https://www.buyvoteslikes.com/

https://www.buypolldaddyvotes.com/

SkinnyPupp 05-30-2020 03:27 PM

When the typical twitter poll on that global account gets under 1000 votes, and this one gets 20K votes, you know something is fuckey LUL

Bouncing Bettys 06-20-2020 07:23 PM

An update to this story. There needs to be a public inquiry.
Quote:

The Nova Scotia shooter case has hallmarks of an undercover operation
Police sources say the killer's withdrawal of $475,000 was highly irregular, and how an RCMP ‘agent’ would get money.

Jun 19, 2020 Paul Palango, Stephen Maher, Shannon Gormley

https://www.macleans.ca/wp-content/u...17-767x431.jpg
A still from a video showing Gabriel Wortman in the Brink's yard on March 30, 2020.

The withdrawal of $475,000 in cash by the man who killed 22 Nova Scotians in April matches the method the RCMP uses to send money to confidential informants and agents, sources say.

Gabriel Wortman, who is responsible for the largest mass killing in Canadian history, withdrew the money from a Brink’s depot in Dartmouth, N.S., on March 30, stashing a carryall filled with hundred-dollar bills in the trunk of his car.

According to a source close to the police investigation the money came from CIBC Intria, a subsidiary of the chartered bank that handles currency transactions.

Sources in both banking and the RCMP say the transaction is consistent with how the RCMP funnels money to its confidential informants and agents, and is not an option available to private banking customers.

The RCMP has repeatedly said that it had no “special relationship” with Wortman.

Court documents show Wortman owned a New Brunswick-registered company called Berkshire-Broman, the legal owner of two of his vehicles (including one of his police replica cars). Whatever the purpose of that company, there is no public evidence that it would have been able to move large quantities of cash. Wortman also ran his own denturist business and there is no reason to believe it also would require him to handle large amounts of cash.

If Wortman was an RCMP informant or agent, it could explain why the force appeared not to take action on complaints about his illegal guns and his assault on his common-law wife.

READ MORE: The Nova Scotia killer had ties to criminals and withdrew a huge sum of cash before the shooting

A Mountie familiar with the techniques used by the force in undercover operations, but not with the details of the investigation into the shooting, says Wortman could not have collected his own money from Brink’s as a private citizen.

“There’s no way a civilian can just make an arrangement like that,” he said in an interview.

He added that Wortman’s transaction is consistent with the Mountie’s experience in how the RCMP pays its assets. “I’ve worked a number of CI cases over the years and that’s how things go. All the payments are made in cash. To me that transaction alone proves he has a secret relationship with the force.”

A second Mountie, who does not know the first one but who has also been involved in CI operations, also believes that Wortman’s ability to withdraw a large sum of money from Brink’s is an indication that Wortman had a link with the police. “That’s tradecraft,” the Mountie said, explaining that by going through CIBC Intria, the RCMP could avoid typical banking scrutiny, as there are no holds placed on the money.

“That’s what we do when we need flash money for a buy. We don’t keep stashes of money around the office. When we suddenly need a large sum of money to make a buy or something, that’s the route we take. I think [with the Brink’s transaction] you’ve proved with that single fact that he had a relationship with the police. He was either a CI or an agent.”

A Canadian retail banking expert speaking on condition that they not be identified says it is unlikely that Wortman was cashing out his own savings when he collected the money from Brinks after the money was transferred from CIBC Intria.

“When you come into my branch and you want a ton of cash, then I say, you gotta give us a couple of days. We put in our Brink’s order, I order the money through Brink’s, then when the money arrives, you come back into the branch, I bring you into a back room and I count the money out for you,” the banking expert said. “Sending someone to Brink’s to get the money? I’ve never heard of that before. The reason is, if I’m the banker, and you’ve deposited your savings in my bank branch, I’m responsible for making sure the money goes to the right person. If you want this money, I’m going to verify your identity and document that. I can’t do that if I’m transferring the money to Brink’s.”

In response to detailed questions from Maclean’s about the transaction, a CIBC spokesperson replied via email: “Our hearts and thoughts are with the families and the entire community as they deal with this senseless tragedy and loss. Unfortunately we are not able to comment on specific client matters.” Brinks did not reply to questions about the transaction.

The banking expert speculates that the RCMP could keep transactions relatively quiet by going through Brink’s instead of a bank to transfer money to a confidential informant or an agent.

“You can imagine that if someone comes in with large sums of cash, that stuff is not kept quiet. You don’t want that. Maybe what the RCMP was doing is they thought they could keep things quieter simply by transferring funds via Brink’s.”

At a press briefing on June 4, Nova Scotia RCMP Superintendent Darren Campbell seemed to rule out the possibility that Wortman was a confidential informant for the force. “The gunman was never associated to the RCMP as a volunteer or auxiliary police officer, nor did the RCMP ever have any special relationship with the gunman of any kind.”

The RCMP Operations Manual, a copy of which was obtained by Maclean’s, authorizes the force to mislead all but the courts in order to conceal the identity of confidential informants and agent sources.

“The identity of a source must be protected at all times except when the administration of justice requires otherwise, i.e. a member cannot mislead a court in any proceeding in order to protect a source.”

A spokeswoman for the Nova Scotia RCMP declined further comment after Maclean’s reported on the financial transaction.

“This is still an active, ongoing investigation,” said Cpl. Jennifer Clarke in an email on Friday. “All investigative avenues and possibilities continue to be explored, analyzed, and processed with due diligence. This is to ensure that the integrity of the investigation is not compromised. We cannot release anything more related to your questions.”

Maclean’s reported earlier this week that sources say Wortman had social relationships with Hells Angels, and with a neighbour, Peter Alan Griffon, who recently finished serving part of a seven-year sentence for drug and firearm offences linked to La Familia, a Mexican cartel. Sources say Griffon printed the decals that Wortman used on the replica RCMP cruiser he used in his rampage.

Sources say that RCMP in New Brunswick, not Nova Scotia, recently took over operational control of investigations into outlaw bikers in the Maritimes, which means that Nova Scotia Mounties may not have been aware of any connection to Wortman.

The RCMP Operations Manual identifies two types of sources: informant sources and agent sources. A law enforcement source said the force uses Brink’s to make large payments to agent sources, not informant sources.

“Informants are never paid more than a couple hundred at a time,” said a person briefed on RCMP operations. “Anything over $10,000 is agent money.”

Agents typically have greater responsibilities than informants. Only officers who have received specialized training are allowed to handle agents.

“An agent source is a person tasked by investigators to assist in the development of target operations,” says the manual. “Direct involvement and association with a target may result in his/her becoming a material and compellable witness, ie. a source used to introduce undercover operations, act as a courier for controlled delivers or act in place of an RCMP undercover operator by obtaining evidence.”

If the money was a transfer from the RCMP to an agent, there would be a paper trail through FINTRAC, the Financial Transactions and Reports Analysis Centre of Canada, which tracks large cash transactions and suspicious transactions.

“Brink’s does the FINTRAC paperwork saying it’s coming from us, it’s from a chartered bank, and the RCMP liaison at FINTRAC signs off, handles the paperwork,” said a source briefed on the system. “The RCMP guys clear it or they refer it for further investigation. They manually clear those FINTRAC reports coming from Brink’s related to paid agents.”

The RCMP Operations Manual requires officers handling confidential informants and agents to send reports to the director of the Covert Operations Branch at National Headquarters.

Headquarters’ media relations office said in an email Friday that Campbell’s statement that the force never had a “special relationship” with Wortman “still stands.”

The attorney general of Nova Scotia, former RCMP staff sergeant Mark Furey, has said the province is in talks with Ottawa about a joint federal-provincial inquiry or review of Wortman’s murderous rampage.

Furey’s office did not reply before deadline to a question about whether the terms of the inquiry would allow inquiry counsel to pierce the powerful legal privilege that attaches to confidential informants.

Family members of the victims have complained that the process is dragging out. As calls for an inquiry mount, so does speculation about what happened, among both the general public and the RCMP.

One former Mountie says he doesn’t understand why Wortman would turn against the Mounties if they were paying him. “What seems inconsistent to me is why are you going to bite the hand that feeds you? If he’s getting money, and that’s a lot of money for an agent, or a CI, that part doesn’t make sense to me.”

The former investigator pointed out that if Wortman was acting for the RCMP, and receiving that amount of money, he would eventually be expected to testify.

"If he was an agent, he should show up on a witness docket.”

But another Mountie says, “This guy always wanted to be a Mountie. He was acting like a Mountie. He was doing Mountie things. It’s clear to me that something went wrong.”
https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/...mpression=true
RCMP have a history of doing shady shit like attempting to convince that couple into committing an act of terrorism on the BC Legislature or bombing oil fields to crack down on environmentalists.

underscore 06-20-2020 10:38 PM

Every possibility I come up with in my head makes no sense when I put it together with everything else. Of course it's hard to go back through the info available because the whole thread is cluttered with gun b/s.

But what I can gather is:
- He was a partner in 2 businesses, and owned 6 properties totaling $1.2M in value
- He owns illegal firearms and an RCMP uniform of some kind
- He makes a replica RCMP car with help from his neighbour who works/worked with a cartel
- I haven't seen anything to say he actually drove it before this happened, the stills from Brinks show a plain white car and he had the assets to easily have a second car
- He gets $475k in cash on Mar 30
- Late in the evening Apr 18, he fights with his gf, 22 people are shot and buildings are set on fire (including his own house)
- At some point the next day 2 people who look like RCMP officers show up at a firehall being used as a shelter, shoot at it, and then leave?
- In the end Gortman is killed about 12 hours after the first report of shots and fires at a gas station

I haven't seen anything about comments from witnesses, a more accurate timeline of events or even a map of the killings/fires, one article mentions "wounded" so there should be some better info out there. But if the guy was some kind of covert RCMP agent, doesn't him having a replica RCMP car kind of ruin that? It's not exactly great cover to look like the people you're pretending to not be associated with. Those security camera stills are terrible to boot, how is that what Brinks uses for security? How can you even be sure that's him?

And where the hell is the cash now?

68style 06-20-2020 10:49 PM

^
Not saying I know what the full story is, but there's a bunch of trolls in that article which amounts to conjecture of the highest level.

I've seen hundreds of payments for CI's and other types of investigations. The article says they don't keep cash in the offices? Bullshit, I used to personally maintain a float of $100,000+ in an office that was used as flash money and CI's. Larger amounts? They said they have to go to Brinks or deal with CIBC for large cash pickups? Not a chance, we never used Brinks or CIBC for that matter, we dealt with Bank of NS and FINTRAC directly and everything was counted and double counted and signed off through multiple channels.

This nonsense about covering money trails with FINTRAC by asking Brinks to do it is a bunch of BS. That simply doesn't happen, at least not in BC, not that it matters, because we were managed out of Ottawa so it would be the same rules across the country. If the RCMP doesn't want anyone to know something, they 580 it, that's code for sensitive expenditures and any FOI request will end up with it being entirely redacted out. We work WITH FINTRAC, not against them. It takes like 3 ranks of signatures to take money out for ANY operation, nobody is going to risk their signing authority or criminal charges signing off to give shady money to people.

The claims being made are nonsense, I'm calling BS on most of this article.

68style 06-20-2020 11:09 PM

You try to take a large sum of money out at the bank, you get sent to pick it up at a special location, not your branch itself. It's arranged in advance too.

What's the more likely story? This Macleans "article" or someone taking out a shitload of cash from all the properties and whatever else they own right before committing a crime they had masterminded and expecting to be able to figure out a way to leave the country after with said cash? That seems like a far more likely explanation to me.

I mean come on... CI isn't gonna get paid $450k for info... lol... if that was the case every junkie in the city be lining up to hand over their dealer etc

Hondaracer 07-27-2020 05:53 PM

Yea, this guy was just a completely normal nobody who killed with legally acquired, Canadian bought guns.. :rukidding:

https://apple.news/AQsX7WFg3QIurcpL49NvnOg

Hondaracer 11-24-2020 06:55 PM

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...-mass-murderer

Turd Knew this information 4 days prior to the “Buyback” program announcement.

The RCMP union representing 20,000 coming out with statements saying this is not an effective way to curb gun violence and the root cause of criminals with firearms is illegal guns crossing the border where they say funds better spent

https://nationalpost-com.cdn.ampproj...e-based-policy:

As part of that article, even after opening up for tenders on designing the project TWO separate times, and on the second time actually calling out companies they hoped would bite, nothing. No one wants to touch this with a 10 foot pole.

Quote:

The federal procurement office has issued two separate requests for proposals (RFPs) to administer the program, but received no interested bidders in response, even after it explicitly named companies that it hoped might offer a bid on the contract, including accountancy firms Pricewaterhouse Coopers LLP and Ernst & Young LLP.

The latest contract, which closed Nov. 10, was offered at $78 million, according to one person familiar with the contract.
The liberal govts. conservative estimate is saying this program will cost 600 million dollars. Many, many publications that lie on both sides of the debate peg the figure closer to a billion dollar + debacle

Tegra_Devil 11-25-2020 04:59 AM

fuck the libs and their buy back....78 million HA!. they can maybe buy back the some scopes with that amount of money...good luck getting someone to trade in their $5,000 AR for $800.

This will just push gun owners to secret stash their firearms.....now you are officially moving weapons into the black...good job government.

quasi 11-25-2020 11:06 AM

Not shocked most guns used like this are obtained illegally. My sister dated a guy probably 15 years ago who had dual citizenship we found after they broke up and he got arrested that he was buying guns in the US legally, smuggling them across the border and then selling them to gang members and drug dealers on this side. The dumb fuck didn't stop to think that maybe some of these guns might get used in a murder or two and get traced back to him lol.

I'm sure there are lots of other dummies like him out there.

6793026 11-25-2020 03:51 PM

^ you would think he would remove the s/n onec it's in Canada prior to selling...

Manic! 11-25-2020 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tegra_Devil (Post 9008298)
fuck the libs and their buy back....78 million HA!. they can maybe buy back the some scopes with that amount of money...good luck getting someone to trade in their $5,000 AR for $800.

This will just push gun owners to secret stash their firearms.....now you are officially moving weapons into the black...good job government.

So making them criminals. I thought gun owners were law-abiding?

CRS 11-25-2020 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6793026 (Post 9008344)
^ you would think he would remove the s/n onec it's in Canada prior to selling...

Even if you filed it down, there's technology now that can see through that and goes to the point where the SN was pressed into the metal.