REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-18-2020, 04:20 PM   #26
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,927 Times in 1,873 Posts
The 2nd answer is any of the following: Audi S3 or S4 or S5 that fits in your budget.

The 3rd option is a V6 Kia Stinger.
Advertisement

Last edited by whitev70r; 05-18-2020 at 09:21 PM.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2020, 04:44 PM   #27
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Golf R has been dope for me (MK7). Not much cabin noise, isn't as loud as its competitors, beautiful interior, reliable, and handles like a go-kart. Other than needing an aftermarket clutch (I think it's got the GTI clutch in there) because you'll likely see slipping over 70-80k...there's not much in terms of "issues" for its generation. Oh, prices are touching high 20's which is nice.
Xu.Vi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2020, 04:58 PM   #28
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Are you trading the 2015 civic in at the same time?

Surrey Honda just took in a couple year old white Civic Type R in trade, I heard the guy wanted black. This car will easily do double duty, and if you can work on your BMW this will be no problem.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2020, 06:54 PM   #29
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
My B8 S4 was a great car in your price range - pretty good handling, supercharged engine was a gem, awd could take on any snow.

Now I have a F80 M3 - out of the box pretty much track ready, comfortable enough daily (bit stiff), minor changes needed like camber plates and brake pads etc to dial it in.

However both cars needed 1 or 2 things done repair wise. Both bills were $4-5k all said and done. What I've learned is no matter the car, if its German and you're going to push it to do what it's capable of - you're going to have pretty big bills to take care of.

I think the M2 is the sweet spot with N55. Track dynamics are great, size is perfect for what you're looking for. Surprisingly affordable with financing as BMW rates usually are.

21' 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
23' VW MK8 GTI 40th Anniversary
18' Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
21' Ducati Streetfighter V4 S

--
16' Mineral Grey F80 BMW M3 6MT SOLD -11/22
22' Halo Toyota GR86 6MT SOLD -11/22
12' Phantom Black - B8 Audi S4 - SOLD 04/19
07' WDP Acura TL Type-S - A-Spec/ATLP/H&R - SOLD 12/17
18' Matte Silver Ice - Triumph 765 Street Triple RS - SOLD 4/21

Last edited by LP700-4; 05-18-2020 at 11:34 PM.
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2020, 07:03 PM   #30
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,438 Times in 4,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
BRZ/FRS/86
So I drove a brz for the day, keep in mind, I'm the biggest BRZ hater. I drove it from Richmond to North Van and shockingly, I couldn't stop smiling. Then I drove to Squamish and back to Richmond. I'm fucking shook. For a stock car, it's really good. Hell, the suspension is better (or on par) and rides nicer than my Bilstein B8s. It takes Sea to Sky so smoothly, in the E46 you can really feel the weight, but in the brz it was so put together. There was no body roll, but it was definitely gutless. Typically after the 60 zone ends past the mine, on the uphill section, I can cruise up in 4th in the E46. But in the BRZ, I had to downshift to 3rd and even then, it felt like it was struggling.

Overall, I drove it like I was driving my E46 to see how well it does. Interestingly, I felt like the car was going a lot faster than it’s actual speed. For reference, for me to feel like I’m doing a quick number in the E46, I’d have to be doing about 40KM/HR faster than the BRZ. Weirdly enough though, my 330CI is built more for the track than a daily, but I don't feel exhausted or anything driving it for the whole day. But I feel tired as fuck driving the BRZ. Must be the seats.
I don’t think I’d get a BRZ though, the back seats are basically useless. I might as well consider a 350Z or 370Z at that point.
I know you've ruled out the FRS/BRZ/GT86 but you have to remember it is a very different car compared to an E46. Like the Miata or Boxster, they are momentum cars, and when you learn how to control the vehicle using the engine and handling capabilities, you'll be a better driver than a lot of cars with bigger power and more dollar signs. They're relatively cheap now, so if you find yourself a daily driver and have some money to spare, consider picking up a cheaper FRS/BRZ as a track rat. Lots of good suspension options on the market. Sure, the power is never going to be comparable to your E46 or the VW Golf R, but it's a well sorted track application through and through, and well balanced. And yes, the seats can't be compared to your E46 - they're just different and takes time to get used to.

I'm sure you can still get groceries or drive your parents in a FRS. They might not be happy though haha
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2020, 07:13 PM   #31
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
Do you need a 4 door to carry clients or kids?
Will you be using it for work?

As mentioned stretching into an FK8 CTR might be worth it. The shifter is top notch and we know it is very capable.

128i or 135i does make sense since you are used to BMW maintenance. E90 is a solid choice If you are ok paying for fuel and maintenance.

Golf R is up there in the top 3 choices.

As you know I went ITR again but I have a company car and an SUV.

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2020, 08:12 PM   #32
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringTeg View Post
Do you need a 4 door to carry clients or kids?
Will you be using it for work?
BIC_BAWS - I recommend highly putting weight into this question posed by TouringTeg.

A lot of us think we need a car that can do double/triple/quadruple duty, but you really have to think about your current situation, and how often you really need to drive your parents/friends/dog/cat, load a ceiling-high Ikea bookshelf, or move a house. I've mostly gotten by with a 2-seater vehicle throughout most of my car ownership. The only 4-door sedans I have ever owned was the E30 / E36, and currently Toyota Corolla iM. Even with the Toyota Corolla iM, I barely, if ever, use the back seats, except when I have friends visit from Vancouver. Other than that, I do my grocery shopping in the Boxster.

There will be a time when we'll see you post a thread in 5+ years asking us which is the best minivan for your wife and 3 kids.

Last edited by bcrdukes; 05-19-2020 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Typos
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2020, 08:40 PM   #33
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,062 Times in 1,249 Posts
new sienna hybrid

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:26 PM   #34
Need to Seek Professional Help

Cant beat the versatility of a hatchback. STi hatch or MS3 hatch. DD and weekend track toy, with low cost of ownership.
teggy604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2020, 12:31 AM   #35
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 6,470 Times in 1,148 Posts
Meowta is always the answer

I love the R for my day to day commute and hauling my daughter around. Trunk space is a bit smaller than a GTI and my wifes mazda 3 but car is pretty practical. Mod friendly too.
artofstance on twitter
Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photographers Enthusiasts
--------------------------------------------
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
1999 Mazda Miata *sold*
2005 Mazda 3 *sold*
2002 Volvo S40 *RIP*
1989 Volvo 740 *RIP*
Matsuda is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2020, 06:24 AM   #36
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,725 Times in 950 Posts
Are those 18's? Stock ride height?

Last edited by trollface; 05-19-2020 at 07:45 AM.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:21 AM   #37

Since you mentioned M3, F10 M5's can be had for around 30K now 550hp 500ft/lb of torque. Comfortable when cruising but when you step on it feels like warp speed. A good friend of mine purchased an out of warranty one and besides your typical BMW thangs like oil leaks, his has been reliable but find one that had the brake rotors replaced those are $500 per corner.
gramser57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:18 AM   #38
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Do you already have another car currently? Would it be better to save the money spent on a new car and put it towards the house you are buying with your parents to possibly be closer to Vancouver than out in Mission?
Old 05-19-2020, 08:53 AM   #39
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
I'm going to be a bit bias here since I'll be talking about my car and experience.

2017 WRX Sport Tech
I wanted something that I could have fun smashing through corners, but I could leave it stock so I don't have to worry about shitty roads or driving sideways over speed bumps. The car handles amazingly well, the new FA motor is super efficient, and the power when you want it is nice, but no powerhouse. Most lowered cars have to slow down when they know there's a dip. I can just smash through it.

Only thing i've done is upgrade the brakes with better fluid and pads, there isnt much required as the car was already built well. Sure if you wanna do up the suspension and make it drive like a track car no problem. But the comfort level that it has not being on Coils, but it can corner no problem is a plus in my eyes.

Maintenance is just the basics so no biggie. Aftermarket support is there.

Also the trunk is so large. I've moved the following in my WRX. 7FT long kitchen countertop, 10 pieces of Kitchen cabinets packed. My Playseat racing seat and wheel without issues.

Still comes in Manual and wont blow up like a STI.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2020, 09:16 AM   #40
RS Veteran

The problem with a Subaru is that it won't break and it won't need costly repairs, so that option is out haha
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2020, 09:28 AM   #41
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramser57 View Post
Since you mentioned M3, F10 M5's can be had for around 30K now
besides your typical BMW thangs like oil leaks, his has been reliable but find one that had the brake rotors replaced those are $500 per corner.
when consumables are that spendy they'll be at 18k price point in no time
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:51 AM   #42
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Notable Mentions
1st gen IS300 in M/T would be cool but it seems impossible to find. Before the E46, there was a several but very high kms and about 8-10K.
I’m not a fan of RHD for daily driving, but I guess if I can’t find one an Altezza RS200 would be cool too. I assume it has LSD?

2nd gen IS350 in M/T (if it exists)

1st gen TSX in M/T (or EuroR)

9th gen Civic Si (FB6) would be a great daily. I might hate myself driving it though, the rev hang is terrible. I think the factory tune on the K24 is just crap. But at least it has Bluetooth, navi, and a nice interior.

If I could afford it (probably not LOL): GS F; IS F; Genesis G70/Kia Stinger; F80 M3; M2
IS300 in manual is very hard to find now. I wouldn't go for it, and I've owned 2x IS300 (both auto)

2nd gen IS350 doesn't exist in M/T (1 guy on ClubLexus did do a M/T conversion)

If you want a ride in an IS-F, PM me.
EndLeSS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2020, 09:51 AM   #43
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,493 Times in 1,158 Posts
Former 2017 WRX Sport owner here and I can definitely reflect on the same points.

Only difference was I had to opt for the auto transmission. But the over all package was still fun.

Trunk is quite reasonable. Was able to fit a full sized Nuna stroller, which both the BMW X1 and X3 sort of failed in, only worked if you left the stroller upright.

EDIT: take a look at some of the newer Subaru's, because of the pandemic, resale value has taken a noticable hit. Saw a 2015 WRX STi listed at Brian Kessel Pre-owned asking 24,888.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon-88 View Post
I'm going to be a bit bias here since I'll be talking about my car and experience.

2017 WRX Sport Tech
I wanted something that I could have fun smashing through corners, but I could leave it stock so I don't have to worry about shitty roads or driving sideways over speed bumps. The car handles amazingly well, the new FA motor is super efficient, and the power when you want it is nice, but no powerhouse. Most lowered cars have to slow down when they know there's a dip. I can just smash through it.

Only thing i've done is upgrade the brakes with better fluid and pads, there isnt much required as the car was already built well. Sure if you wanna do up the suspension and make it drive like a track car no problem. But the comfort level that it has not being on Coils, but it can corner no problem is a plus in my eyes.

Maintenance is just the basics so no biggie. Aftermarket support is there.

Also the trunk is so large. I've moved the following in my WRX. 7FT long kitchen countertop, 10 pieces of Kitchen cabinets packed. My Playseat racing seat and wheel without issues.

Still comes in Manual and wont blow up like a STI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:06 AM   #44
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndLeSS8 View Post
IS300 in manual is very hard to find now. I wouldn't go for it, and I've owned 2x IS300 (both auto)

2nd gen IS350 doesn't exist in M/T (1 guy on ClubLexus did do a M/T conversion)

If you want a ride in an IS-F, PM me.
+1 on what EndLeSS8 mentioned on all the points.

At one time, I was looking for a manual IS300. They were impossible to find, or at least were pretty beat up, or asking unicorn money that I didn't want to pay.

My cousin's got an IS-F, and I had a blast driving it on Los Angeles. Great car, lots of fun, but no manual. It was perfect for Los Angeles traffic. Downside for OP is it doesn't break. As Jerry Seinfeld famously said about Lexus, "...Perfected the idea of a coffin on wheels"
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2020, 11:02 AM   #45
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,743 Times in 3,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramser57 View Post
Since you mentioned M3, F10 M5's can be had for around 30K now 550hp 500ft/lb of torque. Comfortable when cruising but when you step on it feels like warp speed. A good friend of mine purchased an out of warranty one and besides your typical BMW thangs like oil leaks, his has been reliable but find one that had the brake rotors replaced those are $500 per corner.
I wouldn’t wish a used out of warranty m5 on my worst enemy
Old 05-19-2020, 11:05 AM   #46
RS Veteran

Perfect for a glutton for punishment
Old 05-19-2020, 11:25 AM   #47

Thanked 6,470 Times in 1,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollface View Post
Are those 18's? Stock ride height?
18", car is lowered 1"
artofstance on twitter
Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photographers Enthusiasts
--------------------------------------------
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
1999 Mazda Miata *sold*
2005 Mazda 3 *sold*
2002 Volvo S40 *RIP*
1989 Volvo 740 *RIP*
Matsuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:44 PM   #48

Thanked 1,699 Times in 877 Posts
Don't Subarus still spin bearing and blow head gaskets like no tomorrow? So maintenance will be up there with BMW
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 05:53 PM   #49
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Like others mentioned, your list is all over the place.
Let's go with the most important factor. What is your budget?
jinxcrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:17 PM   #50
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxcrusader View Post
Like others mentioned, your list is all over the place.
Let's go with the most important factor. What is your budget?
You may have skimmed over OPs answer but it was posted at the bottom of the original post.

Quote:
This would likely be around 15-20K cash or 30K finance on a used car. Depending on how much ICBC gives me for the 330CI, I could consider a car that’s 40K finance/lease, but I think I would be overextending myself.
Given the flexibility of his budget, he's got a lot of choices, so I can understand why he's got a laundry list of cars all over the place. I am of the opinion he should just get another E46, E90, or 1-series. Familiarity breeds complacency.

Last edited by bcrdukes; 05-19-2020 at 06:23 PM.
This post thanked by: