REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 08-04-2020, 09:17 PM   #26
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Jesus, ime2006. Are you a contractor or appliance sales guy?
Advertisement
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2020, 09:23 PM   #27
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
I remember him as my japanese cellphone guy
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2020, 09:56 PM   #28
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 View Post
I remember him as my japanese cellphone guy
LOL Missed those days !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Jesus, ime2006. Are you a contractor or appliance sales guy?
Yes, i m in Appliances industry for over 10 years now. XDDD
ime2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:29 PM   #29
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
Sub Zero group buy!
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:41 PM   #30
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Miele hood is the DAR 1230 dual blower @ 10" duct.
And yes it's 1100cfm not 1200.

I bought all mine Miele when they have the promotion and got 10year warranty on top.

If you buy 5 or more pieces then you get a free site/home visit by Miele tech, they will go over all the measurements and rough ins to make sure all your appliances are going to fit/work.

The commission for sales on Miele was pretty decimal, I think it was 2%.
-"--"-
Doubl3_H is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-05-2020, 10:56 AM   #31
RS Veteran

Well, service tech just came by and checked out the dryer at my place. Turns out the vent connection at the back of the dryer was loose, and accentuated the rolling noise. I can confirm my issue with the dryer was self inflicted.

Had a package of cleaning sponges sitting on top of the dryer, and it fell to the back. Had to get a broom to stick handle it out, and I knocked out the vent tube. Time to put my dunce cap on.
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-05-2020, 01:13 PM   #32
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ime2006 View Post
LOL Missed those days !!!

Yes, i m in Appliances industry for over 10 years now. XDDD
Do you have any suggestions of hood range that offer same performance as Sakura but more "modern"?
cafe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 03:13 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafe22 View Post
Do you have any suggestions of hood range that offer same performance as Sakura but more "modern"?
Yes, there are.

But the cost is super hard to beat Sakura brand.
Sakura usually cost from $300-800
680CFM is around $400-500

Usually good looking and modern style are around $800-1200

Few thing need to check first.
1. Duct size
2. Style you want. (Really depends on what kinda cabinet you have now.)
3. Cost.
4. Power.
5. Filter Style. (Such as typical mash filter, or baffle filter)
6. For gas cooktop or Electric cooktop.
7. clearance in between your cooktop and bottom of the hood. (Gas needs 30inch at least, electric can be 24inch)

Or
Post a picture of your hood.
then, i can help you out with more details.

Check this out.
Best by Broan, 600 CFM, with Touch sensor control, Baffle filter (Easy Clean, just put in dishwasher), LED lighting...etc.
Front control panel is high gloss glass panel. (You can choose color for your front panel too. Black, White, Stainless Steel ...etc.)
http://www.bestrangehoods.com/store/...6-64061c889bdc
This can be under $1k

Last edited by ime2006; 08-05-2020 at 04:08 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-05-2020, 04:12 PM   #34

Costco has some nice ones.
Very good price.

Such as this one here
625 CFM, Baffle filter (Dishwasherable), Pro look. Only cost: $469

https://www.costco.ca/ancona-advanta...100279801.html

This post thanked by:
Old 08-05-2020, 04:15 PM   #35
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,341 Times in 5,649 Posts
Range hoods are such a fucking rip off for what they are it’s rediculous. I wanted to punch the guy in the head at trail when I told him my budget for a range good was $1400 and he said “ok let’s start with the low end stuff then”

I ended up buying an Ancona 800CFM from Costco for around $700 I was fairly limited in my options as I need a pedestal hood as my range is floating in the middle of the island but I’m completely happy with the Ancona and have zero complaints. I ran new 8” ducting for it when my ceiling was open and it very effectively pulls smoke etc. Out it also has stainless removable grills that are kind of like quasi restaurant grade and super easy to clean

I purchased my Kitchenaid suite from Bestbuy with their extended geek squad warantee for another $650 for 5 years which seemed fairly reasonable.

The only issue I’ve ever had is the igniter on my range has not worked for a year or so but I lost my receipts, I ended up going back into best buy and they reprinted them for me and I’m in the process of making a claim to have them repaired. We will see how the service goes though because so far it’s been a headache.

I’d stay as far away as you can from Samsung dishwasher. We built a townhouse project in 2012 that had Samsung DW, before the entire project was even complete I think we had swapped out almost 60 of these out of the total 120 units in the development.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:21 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Range hoods are such a fucking rip off for what they are it’s rediculous. I wanted to punch the guy in the head at trail when I told him my budget for a range good was $1400 and he said “ok let’s start with the low end stuff then”

I ended up buying an Ancona 800CFM from Costco for around $700 I was fairly limited in my options as I need a pedestal hood as my range is floating in the middle of the island but I’m completely happy with the Ancona and have zero complaints. I ran new 8” ducting for it when my ceiling was open and it very effectively pulls smoke etc. Out it also has stainless removable grills that are kind of like quasi restaurant grade and super easy to clean

I purchased my Kitchenaid suite from Bestbuy with their extended geek squad warantee for another $650 for 5 years which seemed fairly reasonable.

The only issue I’ve ever had is the igniter on my range has not worked for a year or so but I lost my receipts, I ended up going back into best buy and they reprinted them for me and I’m in the process of making a claim to have them repaired. We will see how the service goes though because so far it’s been a headache.

I’d stay as far away as you can from Samsung dishwasher. We built a townhouse project in 2012 that had Samsung DW, before the entire project was even complete I think we had swapped out almost 60 of these out of the total 120 units in the development.
Gooooood choice that you went with 8inch duct!!
I told all my client who is building single family house to have 8 inch duct. (Except 10inch for dual blowers)
Perfect for air to go out without bottleneck.

FYI, one of the Samsung Dishwasher batch has got their door lock mechanisms installed all backwards. It caused a lot issue back in few years ago.

I still don't understand how can they make such mistake and shipped products out.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-05-2020, 04:26 PM   #37
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,341 Times in 5,649 Posts
I believe the issue with the ones we dealt with was the grinder or whatever the mechanism was for disposing of excess food just broke without warning
Old 08-05-2020, 07:42 PM   #38
RS Veteran

Damn, sounds like Samsung has their fair share of issues, mainly manufacturing/quality issues.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2020, 06:35 AM   #39
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,764 Times in 906 Posts
I will only say avoid Samsung at all costs. I have rarely if ever boycotted a company but Samsung is the first. Aside from phones no fucking way.

I've owned many appliances in my lifetime and anytime something broke at my parents or my inlaws the item was like 10+ years old until Samsung. When I was living at my inlaws we had 1 Samsung TV break in just over a year, we had 1 samsung washer die in under 2 years, and we also had 1 Samsung dryer die around the same time. When I moved into my own place I bought which came with brand new Samsung washer and dryers (higher model) the washer died in under a year. That's 4 items that died in under 2 years which is insane!

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2020, 06:50 AM   #40
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,764 Times in 906 Posts
Quote:

Interesting part on the Miele hood fan; I always thought Asian brands like Sakura and Pacific were at the top of their game.

Which model number of hood range do you have? This is likely something I will replace, depending on where I end up buying.
Maybe Sakura and Pacific still are boss but non asians just don't know. It's like Seahorse matresses imo, white people won't know wtf you're talking about and in the grand scheme of things it will never get the recognition in the mainstream but we know for a fact that shit is solid and lasts at a fraction of the cost.

I swapped out the hood fan in our new townhome a year and a half ago because the one they installed was a super sad 400CFM model, for 2 years I constantly hear smoke alarms going off around the complex.

I ended up getting a Faber 30 inch 600CFM Cristal SS, it's pretty sleek and can slide in and out to turn on and off although I turn that setting off and just have it always out and manually turn on via the button instead. So far so good I guess, I had to get the motor replaced once because it was greased up as fuck. In hind site I probably didn't turn it on to a high enough setting when I'm doing crazy cooking + I didn't wash the grills often enough.

https://www.faberonline.com/hoods/cristal-ss/

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2020, 06:58 AM   #41
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,456 Times in 989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Just like TV’s avoid Samsung and LG if you want something that lasts.
i've had a samsung tv for about 10 years that i practically never turn off and it's been rock solid
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:04 AM   #42
Old School RS

Thanked 3,959 Times in 1,207 Posts
I've always lived in relatively new concrete highrises which invariably had GE appliances, particularly gas stove. I never had any failures whatsoever in any so they really do seem reliable.

With that said, we recently moved into a detached house which had been somewhat renovated and it has a Samsung range which I don't imagine was that expensive, but it is WAY better than the GEs I have had for many years. The hottest burner is MUCH hotter, and the smallest burner is smaller - giving a much better range for either simmering a very small pot or getting a wok or big frying pan smoking hot.

I think people overestimate the importance of the brand names and underestimate how many specific bargain basement models are basically created purely for developers or ultra cheap renovations.

-Mark
Old 08-06-2020, 07:41 AM   #43
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
I will only say avoid Samsung at all costs. I have rarely if ever boycotted a company but Samsung is the first. Aside from phones no fucking way.

I've owned many appliances in my lifetime and anytime something broke at my parents or my inlaws the item was like 10+ years old until Samsung. When I was living at my inlaws we had 1 Samsung TV break in just over a year, we had 1 samsung washer die in under 2 years, and we also had 1 Samsung dryer die around the same time. When I moved into my own place I bought which came with brand new Samsung washer and dryers (higher model) the washer died in under a year. That's 4 items that died in under 2 years which is insane!
Wow, that is terrible.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:39 AM   #44
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,346 Times in 973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
The hottest burner is MUCH hotter, and the smallest burner is smaller - giving a much better range for either simmering a very small pot or getting a wok or big frying pan smoking hot.
Is this because the burners are at a higher output or brand name. If you bought a V6 versus V12, then i would bet it burns hotter, regardless of brand name... right?
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2020, 09:11 AM   #45
RS Veteran

Fair point, but in all honesty, it could also be brand and level/tier of appliance, no? I mean, if Ferrari F1 engines are pumping out 1000HP while maintaining a low consistent temperatures vs. a Honda or Nissan/Renault engine pumping out the same HP but running hotter, and using inferior materials etc. it could run hotter and fail a lot faster.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:17 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
Is this because the burners are at a higher output or brand name. If you bought a V6 versus V12, then i would bet it burns hotter, regardless of brand name... right?
very well said!!

each brand has their high end model and basic model.
You gotta compare apple to apple on the models. To compare specs.
Not just compare brand names

You can't really compare Mercedes AMG GT Black Series to BWM M5 Competition.

GE Monogram or GE Cafe range will beat Samsung range to the floor like no tomorrow.

What Samsung is good at is "The Appearance and tech".
But when comes to reliability. They have a long way to go.

Last edited by ime2006; 08-06-2020 at 09:24 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2020, 10:40 AM   #47
RS Veteran

@ime2006 - Are all GE appliances owned/made/manufactured by Haier? Is there a difference in quality between GE Cafe and Haier stuff?

The Faber hood fan looks pretty nice. What do I need to know/check to see if it will work for my application? I've put in an offer on a home so let's see if I get it, or if I'll be homeless and end up living with TOS'd.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:52 AM   #48

Quote:
@ime2006 - Are all GE appliances owned/made/manufactured by Haier? Is there a difference in quality between GE Cafe and Haier stuff?

The Faber hood fan looks pretty nice. What do I need to know/check to see if it will work for my application? I've put in an offer on a home so let's see if I get it, or if I'll be homeless and end up living with TOS'd.
GE's appliances dept sold to Haier years ago.
Haier is more of doing funding. Not intervene on how GE do things.
Still same factory in U.S., same quality control.

As for Haier brand, i would stay away...LOL
Sold 5 of Haier all in one laundry unit. 3 have issues.

But some of entry level GE appliances are sharing same model with Haier.

As for hood fan.
Take pic of your hood and cabinet.
So, i can see details and give you feedback

Last edited by ime2006; 08-06-2020 at 11:03 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2020, 01:44 PM   #49
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,532 Times in 1,519 Posts
This thread scares the shit outta me. My new place is fully reno'd with brand new Samsung appliances. Since it's all brand new - they should be covered under warranty, but I assume I'll need the sellers to produce invoices/sales receipts? How does a warranty process usually work?
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 02:29 PM   #50
RS Veteran

Two BMWs dead and now potentially a full suite of Samsung appliances? Damn.
This post thanked by: