REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-15-2020, 07:20 PM   #26
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
it’s outside the vehicle lol

and no fire hazard if I’m not starting it
Advertisement
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:42 PM   #27
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,437 Times in 376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
* apparently some modern BMWs have windows that have to open slightly when you open and close the door, so if the windows are up and the battery is dead or disconnected you'd have to smash a window to get in if you didn't leave the hood popped. either way leave the windows open so some fresh air gets in.
False. Battery is always in the trunk - which is accessible by the key

Also, where did OP go? He didn't realize this thread would get so many responses in 24 hrs
'06 BMW 330i [RIP]

'02 BMW M3
'99 Honda Civic SIR [sold]
'19 Civic Type R[sold]
'22 MINI Cooper SE
My Photojournal: simplexcars
Simplex123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:01 PM   #28
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplex123 View Post

Also, where did OP go? He didn't realize this thread would get so many responses in 24 hrs
BMW did away with the key hole in the trunk in certain models. For example, half way through the E9X cycle, they completely removed the trunk key hole where as earlier MY E9X still had a trunk accessible via the key.

If OP is disconnecting the battery, then leave the trunk closed but not latched (re: dont slam the trunk shut) that way the battery will be accessible in the spring. Also if there is fold down rear seats, then leave 1 side folded down in case someone accidently latches the trunk, there will still be a back up way to access the battery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2020, 08:14 PM   #29
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,104 Times in 974 Posts
https://www.calcarcover.com/product/...age-bubble/684
Old 10-15-2020, 09:00 PM   #30
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
^ isn't there usually a jump post in the engine bay too? leaving the hood popped might be easier.

Quote:

From what I understand the M235i has no trunk keyhole.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2020, 10:13 PM   #31
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
^ isn't there usually a jump post in the engine bay too? leaving the hood popped might be easier.
yes but it wont work if u physically disconnect the battery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:55 PM   #32

Thanked 1,437 Times in 376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
BMW did away with the key hole in the trunk in certain models. For example, half way through the E9X cycle, they completely removed the trunk key hole where as earlier MY E9X still had a trunk accessible via the key.

If OP is disconnecting the battery, then leave the trunk closed but not latched (re: dont slam the trunk shut) that way the battery will be accessible in the spring. Also if there is fold down rear seats, then leave 1 side folded down in case someone accidently latches the trunk, there will still be a back up way to access the battery.
Quote:

From what I understand the M235i has no trunk keyhole.
Damn.. didn't realize trunk keyholes were a thing of the past lol
But from what I understand you should still be able to use the driver side keyhole to open the door.. even on a frameless window. You may have to trim tool to get the window past the seal if anything, but there's still a cylinder there that will unlock and give you access to the handle. Shouldn't be difficult to do since it's just a rubber seal.
Definitely agree that if you're pulling the battery, to just leave the the trunk not latched - just going to be the easiest way without a trunk key hole.
'06 BMW 330i [RIP]

'02 BMW M3
'99 Honda Civic SIR [sold]
'19 Civic Type R[sold]
'22 MINI Cooper SE
My Photojournal: simplexcars
Simplex123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 11:28 PM   #33

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
I have stored a numer of cars over the winter and all I do is fill the car with gas, put in some fuel stabilizer and put it on a battery tender. No need to jack the car or take off the wheels.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:48 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
yes but it wont work if u physically disconnect the battery
Ah right, I think I was told something like the jump post can't be used to power all the electrical systems for some weird reason.

Quote:
Damn.. didn't realize trunk keyholes were a thing of the past lol
But from what I understand you should still be able to use the driver side keyhole to open the door.. even on a frameless window. You may have to trim tool to get the window past the seal if anything, but there's still a cylinder there that will unlock and give you access to the handle. Shouldn't be difficult to do since it's just a rubber seal.
Definitely agree that if you're pulling the battery, to just leave the the trunk not latched - just going to be the easiest way without a trunk key hole.
A family member owns the 235 so I'm not too sure how tight the seal at the top of the door is, he made it sound like it's a pretty solid pocket it goes into. He got into it eventually and then had to reach through the ski passthrough (which apparently is an option not many have) to get to the emergency trunk release to reconnect the battery. I'd put a towel or something over the latch just to prevent accidentally shutting it out of habit.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 10-16-2020, 09:09 AM   #35
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
There is a chance I may keep my car in storage for longer than 6 months.

Do I just top it up with 94 and just put fuel stabilizer like this?
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/s...0907p.html#srp
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:46 AM   #36
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
Does anyone know of a battery tender that works without needing to be plugged in? Like a battery for a battery? I'm sure they exist, just not too sure where to look/what to look for.

I'm in a condo and my parking space is not next to a column-mounted outlet, and I generally don't drive my car in the rain so difficult to keep the battery topped up.
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:53 AM   #37
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post

This is my personal opinion, and others will disagree, but depending on the car you have, particularly if it is fuel injected, you will not need fuel stabilizer. I personally do not believe modern fuel injected vehicles require fuel stabilizer, and I've stored most of my cars without using it.

I think you have the right idea of filling up on Chevron 94 or Shell 91 (if it is still ethanol-free in Western Canada - check to be sure.) I've only ever used fuel stabilizer on my Alfa Romeo Spider (mechanical fuel injected/carbureted,) carbureted motorcycles, and Honda lawn mower that isn't used for months at a time (no VTEC, sorry.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akinari View Post
Does anyone know of a battery tender that works without needing to be plugged in? Like a battery for a battery? I'm sure they exist, just not too sure where to look/what to look for.

I'm in a condo and my parking space is not next to a column-mounted outlet, and I generally don't drive my car in the rain so difficult to keep the battery topped up.
I think your options are limited as I was in the same position for four years living in a condo. There aren't many options, if any, that exist on the market. Someone in my previous building with a Dodge Challenger bought a battery pack/computer-type UPS system and connected a Noco battery tender to it every two weeks, and it seemed to work for him, but I don't know how I feel about leaving a big battery pack in my car with a battery tender's cable running out the window and into the engine bay like that. He was okay (so far) and there are surveillance cameras everywhere in that lot, so do this at your own risk. I think in general, you should be okay. Just fire it up and drive it for 30 mins or so every now and then. A little rain isn't going to melt you car.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2020, 11:15 AM   #38
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
drive it poosie
This is actually the best advice in this thread

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2020, 11:17 AM   #39
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:

Only thing that could keep your battery charged without plugging it in, would be another battery or solar.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2020, 11:20 AM   #40
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,063 Times in 1,182 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback guys! Yes, I did not expect so many responses, but hopefully it benefits others as well.

I'm going to fill the tank up with 94 (normally it gets 91), add a dessicant to the interior, plus the battery tender. My guess is that it will sit for 4-5 months.

For those of you telling me to just drive it anyway, this is my third car, and I don't have winter tires for it. Both of my other cars have dedicated winter tires: a 2005 Honda Pilot (for hauling the kids around) and a 2000 Civic (year-round beater). Currently the Civic is not insured, but I will get that back on the road after the BMW's insurance expires in November.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 11:27 AM   #41
RS Veteran

Don't forget to get storage insurance from ICBC!

Old 10-16-2020, 11:41 AM   #42

Quote:

Get a battery shutoff switch? Then you can just flip the switch instead of needing to disconnect/reconnect the battery.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2020, 02:18 PM   #43

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,025 Posts
Quote:

94, or whatever fuel you can find that doesn't have ethanol. Ethanol doesn't store as well.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2020, 04:20 PM   #44
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
94, or whatever fuel you can find that doesn't have ethanol. Ethanol doesn't store as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
This is my personal opinion, and others will disagree, but depending on the car you have, particularly if it is fuel injected, you will not need fuel stabilizer. I personally do not believe modern fuel injected vehicles require fuel stabilizer, and I've stored most of my cars without using it.

I think you have the right idea of filling up on Chevron 94 or Shell 91 (if it is still ethanol-free in Western Canada - check to be sure.) I've only ever used fuel stabilizer on my Alfa Romeo Spider (mechanical fuel injected/carbureted,) carbureted motorcycles, and Honda lawn mower that isn't used for months at a time (no VTEC, sorry.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Don't forget to get storage insurance from ICBC!

I have a Fiesta ST. It normally gets 94 anyway so I'll just top up as usual. I guess to be "better safe than sorry", I'll put some stabilizer in anyway.

It'll be garage parked, do I really need storage insurance? What does that cover?

To combat tire flat spots, I'll probably roll out into the driveway, do some random maneuvering and pull back in to change up the tire position every month.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:36 PM   #45
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,063 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
It'll be garage parked, do I really need storage insurance? What does that cover?
From icbc: even when it’s being stored, your vehicle can be damaged or cause damage to others. The storage policy can include third party liability, collision, comprehensive, etc.

I’d say it’s optional, but I will get it for my BMW (but I didn’t get it for my beater Civic )
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 05:32 PM   #46
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,067 Times in 1,252 Posts
you never know when your stored vehicle would wake up and hit someone

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:35 PM   #47
RS Veteran

To be fair, storage insurance protects your car from theft, too. Again, this depends on your risk tolerance, neighbourhood you live in, and a bunch of other various factors like your garage roof is about to collapse one day?

Say if critters built a nest in your engine bay and the one day you decide to fire it up to drive it up the block (which is not allowed, by the way) and the engine catches fire, well, you are screwed. Or what if hoodlums decided to break into your garage, hate on you because you have a nice car and all they can (barely) afford is off-peak transit fare, and they key your car, or a jealous crazy ex-girlfriend says you love your car more than you loved her and takes a Louisville slugger to it like no tomorrow, well, then I guess that storage insurance isn't so bad. It isn't expensive, but if it means saving a couple hundred bucks or so, then so be it. Take that couple hundred of bucks and buy a few buckets of fried chicken and chow down on it over a few cold ones.

The only time it would ever wake up and hit someone is when yray posts on Revsecne. Jokes aside, say your e-brake fails (not that you should have engaged it while in storage) and it rolls through your garage or condo parking lot and you smash someone else's car, or heaven forbid, a person, and you break their knees. What do you do then without storage insurance?

Last edited by bcrdukes; 10-16-2020 at 06:40 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2020, 07:04 PM   #48

The policy on the house might cover it while it's in the garage, but storage is so cheap I don't see why you wouldn't have it on anything decent. As said above thieves are usually pretty stupid so who knows what they might do. I also like that it's covered should I need to move it out of the garage for any reason without having to worry about it.

I don't see a reason to move it every month just to roll the tires around though. I've had cars sit for years without moving and they didn't get flat spots. Likewise I don't see the benefit of firing it up for short periods of time and putting the engine through heat cycles and a bunch of condensation into the oil for no reason.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-17-2020, 06:45 AM   #49
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
theft? rolling away?

twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2020, 08:00 AM   #50
RS Veteran

Quote:
The policy on the house might cover it while it's in the garage
I believe that is correct, but each individual policy may have limits, or may not cover specifically a car that is being stored. Would have to check the policy to be sure. And should anything happen, your house insurance goes up and that's when it hurts.

This post thanked by: