REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-14-2020, 04:56 PM   #1
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,046 Times in 1,176 Posts
Prepare car for winter storage

In mid-November, I'm going to stop driving my car for a few months. It's a 2020 BMW 3-series, and it will be parked in my garage, connected to a CTEK MXS 5.0 charger. Is there anything else I need to do to prepare it for storage? What should I expect when I start it up again in the Spring?

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 05:32 PM   #2
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,438 Times in 4,279 Posts
Is your garage heated?

Depending on the tires you have, you may want to consider putting the car on jack stands, and the tires off the ground. Stuff your tailpipes with shop towels to prevent critters from crawling in or building a nest. Top up all your fluids, including gas, and if possible, throw a car cover over the car. Cleanliness pretty important, especially your interior, so clean it up as best as possible. Obviously, wash the car before storing it, and wait until the car is entirely dry before throwing on a car cover (if you have one.)

I stored my cars in a non-heated detached garage for many years, and after every spring, the car fires up no problems. Remember to pull out the shop towels in the spring. If you are OCD and if your annual mileage is relatively low, change your engine oil in the spring and enjoy for the rest of the season.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2020, 06:05 PM   #3
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
top up fuel with ethanol-free like chevron 94
wash/detail
oil change if it's due
tender
turn recirc on (so hvac closes from outside)
tire pressure to spec
choke wheels (dont like parking brake for extended periods, don't leave it in gear)

optional if sitting only through winter
stabilizer
car cover
tire saver
pest control if an issue
desiccants inside
tarp underneath if not heated garage on concrete

Last edited by twitchyzero; 10-14-2020 at 06:17 PM.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2020, 06:35 PM   #4
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Was under the impression a loaded suspension is better than one hanging at full droop. Pls correct me if wrong.

I suggest filling tires to max pressure. Every few weeks, roll the car fwd or bk to avoid flat spots. Push it, don't start it.

Come Spring when you're ready to drive it, pull the fuse to cut ignition/fuel and crank it to build oil pressure. Once you have oil pressure (assuming you have an oil pressure gauge), fuse back in and go.
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:50 PM   #5
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,644 Times in 1,043 Posts
good suggestions - but mostly overkill.

full tank of ethanol free gas

pest/moisture control

battery maintainer if you have one, otherwise just pull it and store it indoors. I don't even take them out of the cars anymore - just disconnected.

that's about it. 4 months at pretty moderate lower mainland temps isn't going to permanently square up decent tires, or affect suspension.

Spoiler!
The Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2020, 06:59 PM   #6
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,743 Times in 3,864 Posts
It’s a brand new car. Cars like this sit on the lot for months at a time ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 10-14-2020, 07:47 PM   #7
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,120 Times in 991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
It’s a brand new car. Cars like this sit on the lot for months at a time ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Don't a lot of new cars have shipping blocks in their suspension that don't get taken off until PDI?

I would advocate using one of those moisture sucking tubs for your interior in case of condensation and mold. You can get them for $2 at Daiso. I have them in all my closets. I put one in a CRX that I stored though, and it didn't seem to have sucked much moisture out.

Top up fuel like others said.

Not terribly concerned about the exhaust, critters are more likely to hide in the airbox or cabin air filter and I'm not sure there's anything you can do except drip some peppermint oil to ward them off (bonus the car will smell like fresh mint haha)

Put some loose carpet under your tires and over inflate them if you are concerned about flat spots. I'd advise against putting the car on jack stands. You don't know if the floor or stands are even and I don't think keeping the chassis slightly tweaked for 4 months would be good for the car.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:00 PM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,166 Times in 473 Posts
More discussion on the use of jack stands please.

I had mine on jack stands to avoid flat spots, but have recently put it back on the ground because I was told that full droop will harm my suspension and flat spots isn't a problem with modern day tires.
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:08 PM   #9
RS Veteran

Most modern tires will not flat spot, or at least none that I personally know of. I could be wrong.

Just be mindful of the tire make/model and type/designated use. Despite my original post above, I find that it is excessive to use jack stands. I only did that when I had my 78 Alfa Romeo Spider and it had older tires that was known to flat spot. I didn't do that for my MR2s or my other cars, but then again, I drove the M3 and 996 year round, and all cars were fine. Some people take the wheels off altogether and put the car on jack stands. I don't think there is a right, wrong, or "best" way to do it. Best to use your judgement. Only you know where your car is being stored.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 10-14-2020, 10:21 PM   #10

if im not mistaken overinflating to max psi will just lose air faster

i've left mine on gojaks for a little over 3 months without problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
that's why you buy those witha good discount
Old 10-14-2020, 11:09 PM   #11
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I've seen critter deterrents mentioned a few times. What would you guys recommend to deter mice and other critters? Rat traps around wheels? What else?
headhunt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:34 PM   #12
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,978 Times in 1,684 Posts
So it looks like there's a debate between flat spots vs tweaked frame/drooping suspension. lol

If I do decide to not use jack stands, should I swap in my winter tires or leave my summer set on?
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:31 AM   #13
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,572 Times in 4,314 Posts
Jack stands under the control arms.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:56 AM   #14
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,380 Times in 857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
should I swap in my winter tires or leave my summer set on?
... Just swap them on and off every couple weeks as some other RS members do.

Old 10-15-2020, 05:12 AM   #15
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
... Just swap them on and off every couple weeks as some other RS members do.

Acura604?

Old 10-15-2020, 12:45 PM   #16

Thanked 3,082 Times in 961 Posts
E brake off to keep rear calipers from seizing.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:31 PM   #17

Thanked 3,725 Times in 950 Posts
Lol I thougth you were storing a 60's Bugatti or something.

I've stored my Datsun for the last 17 years without doing any of that for 10 months at a time. Your 3 series is not going to get a flat spot or messed up suspension sitting for 4 months lol.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 01:50 PM   #18
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
I agree that the worry of flat spots is a little overkill for storage of only a few months. But some of us do park for longer, I'm usually parked mid october to sometime in april sometimes may. So we're talking 6+ months.

You can jack up the car slightly to take the weight off the tires, but not so far that they come off the ground, this will minimize the flat spot, but also keep your suspension from going to full droop (the fear here with full droop is the shocks being a full extend for so long).

I actually do something a little different, not necessarily relating to my tires so much, but my air suspension bags. I air up the car to it's max setting, put some wood blocks under my frame, and air the frame out on them. This supports the weight of the vehicle, then only the suspension weight is on the tires. This protects the rubber of the bag, and the shock since they are not at either extreme in their travel pattern, and also helps my tires since they only have 100lbs or so on them instead of 1200lbs each.

I saw other people also commented on changing of oil, might seem like overkill, but I change my oil before and after storage, takes only 30 minutes for me to do, and oil is cheap comparatively. My process is like this:

before storage drain the oil and change the filter, refill as normal.
After storage just a drain and fill with new oil (no need for filter as the filter should be nice and newish still).

If you only want to do oil once a year, do it before you store the car, not after. Used oil is slightly acidic, and will wear seals and stuff within motor down.

Other recommendations on storing with full fuel and fluids, all should be followed.

If you dont want to leave the car on the tender all year long, I would just pull the negative terminal and you can leave the battery like that for over a year with no issues. I have a battery disconnect switch installed which serves this function.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 01:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunt3r View Post
I've seen critter deterrents mentioned a few times. What would you guys recommend to deter mice and other critters? Rat traps around wheels? What else?
i had this gravel looking thing, messy and not sure if it works or just got lucky

moth balls around perimeter of the car cover

bounce sheets in the engine bay

honda also sells spicy electric tape
https://www.thedrive.com/tech/33236/...odent-invasion
Old 10-15-2020, 02:36 PM   #20
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
Fill the tank, crack the windows*, unlock all the doors*, disconnect the negative terminal of the battery & don't set the ebrake on fully (chock the wheels). Done.

For pest control I like the little squealer things you plug into an electrical outlet in the garage.

* apparently some modern BMWs have windows that have to open slightly when you open and close the door, so if the windows are up and the battery is dead or disconnected you'd have to smash a window to get in if you didn't leave the hood popped. either way leave the windows open so some fresh air gets in.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 02:57 PM   #21

Thanked 3,725 Times in 950 Posts
Moths balls and bounce sheets? Now I've seen everything.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 04:28 PM   #22
RS Veteran

Ixnay on the moth balls. You will regret it.

Bounce sheets, on the other hand... Sounds like an engine bay fire in the making

Old 10-15-2020, 05:17 PM   #23
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,062 Times in 1,249 Posts
drive it poosie

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2020, 05:22 PM   #24
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,699 Times in 877 Posts
I always just plug in the battery tender, did this for many winters on a concrete drive way. Now I do the same but just indoors
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:08 PM   #25

Thanked 2,157 Times in 954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Most modern tires will not flat spot, or at least none that I personally know of. I could be wrong.
Continental's ExtremeContact DWS and DWS06 both have a tendency to flat spot after even a couple weeks of sitting around though the flat spot comes out after a few kms (or a light heat cycle). My TSX sits around a lot now with WFH and every time I drive it there's the familiar "thud thud thud" sound of a flat spot.

When I stored my Miata for the winter I put the pressures up to minimize flat spots - I think I went up to 40-45psi.
This post thanked by: