REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-04-2021, 04:41 PM   #126
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,438 Times in 5,110 Posts
^
I'm not so sure about that... 10% is a pretty big chunk

Do you need it? Probably not... but it should be noticeable...
Advertisement
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 06:09 PM   #127
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
If you have a car making 500 plus HP 40 to 50 HP ether way is not going to make a difference driving on the street.
With my ECU-tuned 100hp shxtbox (LOL~ why bother, right?), I can tell you that the subjective difference between a good day running Chevron 94 is pretty drastic compared to it running some Mobil / Esso 91 octane gas. My shxtbox just hates Mobil / Esso for some reason.

If I ever manage to own a 500hp car before 2035 - 2040, I'll tell you how big of a difference good gas vs crap gas feels LOL~

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
Speaking about fuel, does any one use additives? I was recommended Luca's upper cylinder lubricant. Apparently it increases mpg, and cleans out your fuel system + injectors. Some people seem to use it every few months as a treatment, or some add some in in every fill up
I trust Grassroots Motorsports because they do things methodically and measures stuff objectively. In one issue a couple of years ago, they tested a fuel additive and found some measurable gains from using it. I can't remember whether they ran the test on a dyno, or whether it was timed against the clock. They ran the same additive on a couple of different cars, and found (as the manufacturer has claimed) that the biggest power gains actually came from cars that runs 87 octane gas than those that run 91/93 octane gas. The GRM folks were very much suprised by the results themselves, but they weren't gonna argue against data.

Of course, I don't remember the name of the additive, nor can I find the issue where they ran this test. If anyone remembers which issue that was, I'd love to try it myself.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:26 PM   #128
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

I can feel the power loss with lower octane gas in my mdx as it pulls timing. All factory ecus with knock sensors play it very safe and pull lots of timing when the sensors hear noise.

I had/have my chevys set up to pull timing when they sense knock, same thing with my honda. Basically want to run as much timing as you can without having a knock spike. As the sensor hears more noise you can set how many degrees to retard it and how quickly to add the timing back in. The chevy ecu will go as far as predicting knock and pull timing out from under you, just have to go through the tables and tweak it all. My truck was probably 525wph, would vary 5mph in the 1/4 mile due to timing and timing retard, according to the hp calculator its about 60hp. Could I feel it on the street? Only on drag radials.
Old 07-04-2021, 09:23 PM   #129
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,727 Times in 894 Posts
Man 50l of 91 was over $90 today,
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 09:47 PM   #130
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
didn't think i felt anything dialing back from shell 91 initially but after a few tanks of 87 it's noticeable on the butt dyno
it's still fine day-to-day but when you get on it above 4k is the difference in my stock n/a with direct injection
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 09:55 PM   #131
Performance Moderator

I had my check engine light come on for my IS300... was getting ready to take it in because I had replaced 1 O2 sensor already, figured the other one was going too...

Pulled up to gas it up yesterday, opened the gas lid and the cap just falls out on the ground... fucking guys at the Superstore Mobil1 full service in Richmond got confused with the ring it's attached to and just kinda put it there and closed the fuel door!

Grabbed a scanner and sure enough 4 codes all for gas tank evap and seal issues blah blah

I hate full service in Richmond!
Old 07-04-2021, 11:33 PM   #132
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I had my check engine light come on for my IS300... was getting ready to take it in because I had replaced 1 O2 sensor already, figured the other one was going too...

Pulled up to gas it up yesterday, opened the gas lid and the cap just falls out on the ground... fucking guys at the Superstore Mobil1 full service in Richmond got confused with the ring it's attached to and just kinda put it there and closed the fuel door!

Grabbed a scanner and sure enough 4 codes all for gas tank evap and seal issues blah blah

I hate full service in Richmond!
You are aware they don’t have to pump your gas for you right? They get paid hourly regardless. I’m always polite but for 20 years I’ve always pumped my own
Old 07-05-2021, 12:08 AM   #133
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
You are aware they don’t have to pump your gas for you right? They get paid hourly regardless. I’m always polite but for 20 years I’ve always pumped my own
I know that... I pump my own on my Mustang every time its got a weird filler and I don't want them touching my car.

But sometimes with the pandemic I don't want to go through the process of touching the pump and having to sanitize the shit out of myself after and it's just a Lexus with a screw cap how can they fuck that up right? Stay in the A/C car and expect a simple task to be completed.

But nope!

Also, technically it's a bylaw infraction... I've never seen anyone fined, but it is. City of Richmond bylaws say no person is permitted to pump their own gas. Coquitlam too.
Old 07-05-2021, 07:18 PM   #134
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,738 Times in 956 Posts
I put my own gas. Weird filler as well and I really don't want them dinging the paint.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 07:35 PM   #135

Quote:
I know that... I pump my own on my Mustang every time its got a weird filler and I don't want them touching my car.

But sometimes with the pandemic I don't want to go through the process of touching the pump and having to sanitize the shit out of myself after and it's just a Lexus with a screw cap how can they fuck that up right? Stay in the A/C car and expect a simple task to be completed.

But nope!

Also, technically it's a bylaw infraction... I've never seen anyone fined, but it is. City of Richmond bylaws say no person is permitted to pump their own gas. Coquitlam too.
Source?
Old 07-05-2021, 07:39 PM   #136
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Source?
Since 1966 apparently: https://www.richmond-news.com/amp/in...chmond-3064969
Old 07-05-2021, 07:42 PM   #137
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,402 Times in 552 Posts
Quote:

But nope!

The guys that work the pump at the station I frequent basically just mill about or lean on the walls all day it seems. They don't even bother try moving towards the car when you pull in. Just give a cursory glance, and shout out if you good or not.

Frankly, I prefer it this way so I don't mind it one bit. I don't think they're too worried about losing their jobs because of the bylaw infraction or whatnot.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 07:47 PM   #138
Performance Moderator

Jesus let’s not turn this into a “I want the bylaws” thing I was just saying the one time I did let some clown pump my gas recently cuz he actually did run up and start before I could even get out and it was like 40C outside at the time, he couldn’t even put the cap back in. That’s it.
Old 07-05-2021, 09:15 PM   #139
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,923 Times in 3,876 Posts
Quote:
^
I'm not so sure about that... 10% is a pretty big chunk

Do you need it? Probably not... but it should be noticeable...
Would you not only notice it once you've used up the other 500hp? And lets be honest, almost nobody around here is using anything close to that.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 09:40 PM   #140
Performance Moderator

You should do a quantitative analysis with your bum and a borrowed 500hp car
Old 09-17-2021, 12:55 PM   #141

Apparently, this particular Shell station is the only station participating in a pilot project to sell Shell 93 gas in the Lower Mainland:

4314 W 10th Ave (@ Discovery Street, between Alma and Blanca), Vancouver
https://goo.gl/maps/udWnrLBf8NojB6M49

Obviously, I'd like to see more choices available for the local retail high performance gas market, so I am definitely going to try this gas out and see how it performs.

Also, while I think it is extremely unlikely, I can't stop thinking how Adam / VanCity Audi's work on the gas testing might have contributed to the introduction of this 93 Shell gas, since the 91 Shell V-Power basically got its a$$ handed to it by the Chevron 94 lol~

Will report back with my highly calibrated butt dyno results once I've had a chance to run this Shell 93.
Old 09-17-2021, 01:12 PM   #142
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
There were a few Shell stations in my old neighbourhood in Toronto that carried 93 but suddenly were removed from the pumps. Would be curious to see if any stations here in the GTA will begin rolling it back out again; 91 is the highest tier at most Shell stations here.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 01:40 PM   #143

Toronto should already have a few more choices for high octane gas though. IIRC, Esso offers 93 octane gas there, and I *think* Petro Canada offers their Ultra 94 there as well?

I don't remember which other stations carry gas higher than 91 though.
Old 09-17-2021, 01:43 PM   #144
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Apparently, this particular Shell station is the only station participating in a pilot project to sell Shell 93 gas in the Lower Mainland:

Obviously, I'd like to see more choices available for the local retail high performance gas market, so I am definitely going to try this gas out and see how it performs.

Also, while I think it is extremely unlikely, I can't stop thinking how Adam / VanCity Audi's work on the gas testing might have contributed to the introduction of this 93 Shell gas, since the 91 Shell V-Power basically got its a$$ handed to it by the Chevron 94 lol~

Will report back with my highly calibrated butt dyno results once I've had a chance to run this Shell 93.

Wtff way the fuck out by UBC too....
jjson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 02:13 PM   #145
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Quote:
Toronto should already have a few more choices for high octane gas though. IIRC, Esso offers 93 octane gas there, and I *think* Petro Canada offers their Ultra 94 there as well?

I don't remember which other stations carry gas higher than 91 though.
Yes, you are right that Esso here offers 93+ but not all of them do surprisingly. And yes, Petro Canada offers their Ultra 94 here.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 04:14 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjson View Post
Wtff way the fuck out by UBC too....
Isn’t that where all the kids with exotics live?
Old 09-17-2021, 05:11 PM   #147
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,168 Times in 7,157 Posts
They get their gas delivered.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 07:17 PM   #148
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

They need to get that Shell 93 out in the Fraser Valley. Last time I was filling up at the Silverdale Chevron and there was a 67/68 Mustang, an early 70's firebird, a tuned Audi of some sort, 2 FRS/BRZs and a couple other cars. Not even people in a cruise, just people gassing up their toys.
mr00jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 04:06 AM   #149
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:

Too bad he already said he's not going to bother testing this fuel since it's expensive to do these tests out of his own pocket, unless someone wants to sponsor him.

Does this 93 gas contain any ethanol?
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 11:29 AM   #150
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Too bad he already said he's not going to bother testing this fuel since it's expensive to do these tests out of his own pocket, unless someone wants to sponsor him.

Does this 93 gas contain any ethanol?
From FB group, someone tested it with their analyzer - its has about 9% ethanol.
LaidbacK is offline   Reply With Quote