REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > #RevsceneVLS General Chat

#RevsceneVLS General Chat SOCIAL LIFESTYLES ADSPACE AVAILABLE. CONTACT INFO@BLITZGEAR.COM
2016 VLS Community Head Moderator: SaucyWoman
2016 Social Media Liason: Blitzgear

@Revscene #RevsceneVLS. Vancouver LifeStyles Discussions: Car-free, political and current events, random thoughts, or topics that don't fit in the other forums. Remember to check out feature articles on the Main Website

Old 12-15-2022, 04:09 PM   #701
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
How does paternity leave works? Do I just tell work the baby is here and I'm not gonna be in for however long?

They know the baby was coming anytime. But just wanted to know what's the proper thing to do in regards to telling work. Is there paper work I was supposed to sign or anything like that?
Advertisement
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 04:40 PM   #702
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
Sounds like a "ask your HR" type of question.

If you're in a union job, probably have forms to fill out. I know I do. For me, it was a combination of read the info provided by the union + asking union rep for info.

If you're wondering if there's a government form to give your employer for official notification, then, no I don't think there is one.
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 05:14 PM   #703
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
It varies on the job. I had planned parental leave for a section of time but since my son came a bit early I just let them know and took an extra week before hand.
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 08:47 AM   #704
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,207 Times in 432 Posts
the process varies company to company (through a system, a form, an email, etc); generally HR needs to know your leave duration, that it's approved by your manager, and so they know when to put you as unpaid leave in the system to ensure your payroll doesn't run; if you have benefits deductions, they'll need to know if you are continuing during the leave as well

applying for EI is a separate process through the Canadian govt. sites
dachinesedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 08:50 AM   #705
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
The simplest thing to do is to talk to your HR dept, or whoever is the equivalent of your HR dept. If it is a sizable company or a unionized one, there will 100% be an established process already in place, and you just have to follow the procedure.

If it is a small business, then you'd probably have access to your boss anyway, and it is his job to figure out what he needs to do. But mostly, it revolves around your work place issuing you an ROE (and filing it with CRA). After that, you'll need to sign up with Service Canada for parental / maternity leave benefits because it is paid through the EI system, except that you don't need to file any reports with Service Canada.

If your company offers any salary top ups, your HR dept will have the standard procedures ready, and it'll most likely be a top up over the amounts EI pays you.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 08:55 AM   #706
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,764 Times in 906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
How does paternity leave works? Do I just tell work the baby is here and I'm not gonna be in for however long?

They know the baby was coming anytime. But just wanted to know what's the proper thing to do in regards to telling work. Is there paper work I was supposed to sign or anything like that?
People kind of touched on it already again here are some things and yes it will vary depending on where you work.

- Inform your work (Could be HR, could be your payroll clerk, could be both)

- Continuation of benefits, some employers like mine need to know if you want to continue receiving benefits while you're away and if yes you need to fill out a form and pay that portion

- EI you will have to file yourself, your work once notified will log you in their system as being off which generally automatically generates a Record Of Employment digitally to the EI office. You will out EI online and once they get the ROE your application will be completed. Generally the ROE is the thing they're waiting for so expect a slight delay potentially depending on how fast your clerk and or HR work

- Some other things to just be aware about is your vacation etc might be affected because now that you're off you might not be entitled to as much vacation as you would have been so don't be shocked if they claw back some of your hours though this is different for every employer

- To the previous point you might also get top up pay on top of your EI pay to get you closer to what you normally make. A lot of times this is only for females who take maternity leave and not for dads but again some places might offer it

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 11:07 AM   #707
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,149 Times in 388 Posts
Also, keep track of what EI pays you. They paid me an extra $1000 over what I knew I was supposed to get when I was on parental leave. I put it aside and they didn't say anything for about a year and a half before they sent me a nasty letter that they paid me $1k extra and want it back NOW.
I went back to work on the dates I told them I was, so it's not like it was my fault.
Mikoyan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 09:25 AM   #708

Thanked 2,171 Times in 961 Posts
Anyone have recommendations for stroller lights? My walk from daycare is ridiculously dark (it's Burnaby - there are no streetlights for half of my walk and bad lighting otherwise) and there aren't marked crosswalks either so I need some lights both for being able to see and for being visible.

Most of the stuff I see on Amazon looks too limited and/or is junk or is for bikes (the strap won't work).
Old 12-17-2022, 12:14 PM   #709
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,764 Times in 906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikoyan View Post
Also, keep track of what EI pays you. They paid me an extra $1000 over what I knew I was supposed to get when I was on parental leave. I put it aside and they didn't say anything for about a year and a half before they sent me a nasty letter that they paid me $1k extra and want it back NOW.
I went back to work on the dates I told them I was, so it's not like it was my fault.
Which reminds me though this will likely affect your wife more if I'm assuming she's taking the bulk of the leave but in any case when EI pays you your bi weekly payments there's really like barely any tax if any taken off. All fine and well until it's tax time and suddenly all that income you got without really paying any taxes means you owe money now. You could either tell them to pay you less and withhold more for tax or every time you get paid put a portion a side as "taxes" so when it's time to pay up you have some cash set aside for it already.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 08:23 PM   #710
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,696 Times in 1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
Anyone have recommendations for stroller lights? My walk from daycare is ridiculously dark (it's Burnaby - there are no streetlights for half of my walk and bad lighting otherwise) and there aren't marked crosswalks either so I need some lights both for being able to see and for being visible.

Most of the stuff I see on Amazon looks too limited and/or is junk or is for bikes (the strap won't work).
I didn't even know such things existed, but a quality (ie. bright, wide pattern) headlamp (like for camping) is less than $20 from tons of places. Is that an option?
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 09:32 PM   #711
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,025 Posts
What about sticking on a bunch of reflectors?
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 09:45 PM   #712

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
Bring the late 90's back with underglow but for strollers!

Ie: https://thirdkindlights.com/product/stroller-lights/
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 01:56 PM   #713

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
What about sticking on a bunch of reflectors?
I got these strip lights (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0B...0?ie=UTF8&th=1) that solve for the getting seen problem - I can wear them around my arm or leg or stick them on the stroller. The other problem is being able to see where I'm going - the lack of streetlights for half my route means something like a camp light might do the trick though I'd like something that can attach to my stroller rather than be worn on my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
Bring the late 90's back with underglow but for strollers!

Ie: https://thirdkindlights.com/product/stroller-lights/
These could work pretty well but unfortunately out of stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
I didn't even know such things existed, but a quality (ie. bright, wide pattern) headlamp (like for camping) is less than $20 from tons of places. Is that an option?
I'll have to take a look - they definitely would be bright enough. Ideally they can strap to the stroller. The challenge I found with the bike equivalent is their adapters are designed for a bike frame so I can't attach it to a stroller.
Old 12-18-2022, 02:47 PM   #714
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,025 Posts
You sound like you live on Capitol Hill.

To be seen is easier to see. You sound like you need to just get some bicycle lights cause then it's actually made for this purpose.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 03:55 PM   #715
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,922 Times in 3,876 Posts
What kind of stroller? You might have to get creative with the mounting if it hasn't got any tubular bits. If nothing else bust out the zip ties or some long velcro straps like these: https://www.princessauto.com/en/10-p...t/PA0008195547
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 11:42 PM   #716
Banned (ABWS)?

I'm officially in the club now.

First night home, he's napping now.

I'm exhausted.
Old 12-19-2022, 05:55 AM   #717

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
What kind of stroller? You might have to get creative with the mounting if it hasn't got any tubular bits. If nothing else bust out the zip ties or some long velcro straps like these: https://www.princessauto.com/en/10-p...t/PA0008195547
I've got an Uppababy Menu (https://uppababy.com/ca/minu/) - the handle bar is blocked by the hood and the front "bumper" is a horizontal flat plastic type surface. I've tried the velcro strap with a light with mixed results - doesn't stay in place well. I don't want to tape it on since I have to remove the light to charge it from time to time - I could come up with a magnet/double sized tape setup but was hoping to avoid that kind of work.
Old 12-19-2022, 08:30 AM   #718

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
I'm officially in the club now.

First night home, he's napping now.

I'm exhausted.
Full head of hair!

Congratulations man. Exhaustion quickly loses it's meaning, it's your normal state from now on
This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2022, 09:10 AM   #719
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
Full head of hair!

Congratulations man. Exhaustion quickly loses it's meaning, it's your normal state from now on
3-4 hour sleeps is the new 8 hours. Good luck.
vash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 11:45 AM   #720
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,922 Times in 3,876 Posts
Quote:
I've got an Uppababy Menu (https://uppababy.com/ca/minu/) - the handle bar is blocked by the hood and the front "bumper" is a horizontal flat plastic type surface. I've tried the velcro strap with a light with mixed results - doesn't stay in place well. I don't want to tape it on since I have to remove the light to charge it from time to time - I could come up with a magnet/double sized tape setup but was hoping to avoid that kind of work.
Hmm not a lot of spots to work with. You could use something with an external battery so you don't have to remove the light to charge it but then you have to worry about tangling up wires when you fold it up.

The easiest thing might just be a headlamp on your head with a bike light clipped onto the back. You can get some now that put out crazy amounts of light.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2022, 12:42 PM   #721

Quote:
I'll have to take a look - they definitely would be bright enough. Ideally they can strap to the stroller. The challenge I found with the bike equivalent is their adapters are designed for a bike frame so I can't attach it to a stroller.
Most camping headlights have adjustable elastic bands, you should be able to "strap" it across the two front wheels. The light will likely wobble unless you can get it to sit across the front bumper, but that sounds like the easiest way.

Headlamps usually take triple A's and last a while, so no need for constant removal.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2022, 01:06 PM   #722

lol, we're driving home from daycare, and the kid is proud she finally memorized her full name. So I ask her, what's your name?

And she goes "Apple Banana Cherry!" (I made those up, she used her real name,lol).

So I'm like "wow, cool! My name is "Blueberry Cucumber Cherry! We have the same last name!"

...and she flips out, saying only she's allowed to have Cherry in her name. So we remind her that sharing is caring (lol), and that family members are allowed to have the last name. And that she might even meet a friend someday that also has the same name.

She sits there nodding, saying ok. Then I ask "is it ok now that my last name is also Cherry"? And she again throws a fit lol.

Although that night at bedtime she apologized for throwing a tantrum. Ah, kids.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2022, 03:31 PM   #723
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Quote:
would theses work?

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.ca/stor...d=OS_googlepla
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 06:43 AM   #724
Banned (ABWS)?

Damn... I don't know how my kid is doing this, but somehow he keeps finding a way to bypass the diaper with his urine so his back or sides under the armpit gets wet, including the bassinet.

I quadruple check the diaper each time when I'm changing him to make sure it's all sealed up. Did that "folding trick" at the front to try to catch any frontal blow outs. But the funny thing is the front doesn't even get affected and the diaper indicator stays yellow.
Old 12-20-2022, 07:16 AM   #725
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,149 Times in 388 Posts
Are you using Pampers or Huggies?
I found Pampers fit better for my kid, and had a higher fit up the torso than Huggies. We rarely had blowouts through two kids.
If you're using one brand, If you have a sample pack, see if the other brand fits better.
Mikoyan is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: