REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 04-13-2024, 11:27 AM   #376
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,211 Times in 493 Posts
Finally done

Advertisement
SSM_DC5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 06:04 PM   #377
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,359 Times in 977 Posts
gutted the house, added a lot of pot lights etc.

My electrician wants and say we do need a sub panel which will be $2000

i need to know wtf, is it legit, is 2k reasonable... can anyone provide insight?
6793026 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 07:53 PM   #378

Electrical work is finished and he/she wants to add a subpanel after the fact? Are you upgrading service at all? Ie, you currently get 100A from the city, but electrician wants to make it 200A
Old 05-10-2024, 05:56 PM   #379
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,238 Times in 2,431 Posts
I've been putting an effort into my lawn this year to see how good I can get it. Bought a soil analysis test, bought lime to neutralize the soil, fertilizer to adjust for nutrients that were missing based on the soil test, some top dressing and seed.

Well it's been ok but not as great as I'd hoped. I had a few bare areas from dead leaves and grubs over the winter and those unfortunately did not fill in.

However the areas with existing grass is looking pretty good.

Finally cut the lawn today after seeding about 4 weeks ago to see thr initial results of all my hard work and $$$ as well as cleaned my glass patio cover.

Next on the plan this weekend is to power wash the deck and patio furniture.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 09:37 PM   #380

Did you climb on top of the cover or cleaned from the ladder? It looks really clean!
Old 05-10-2024, 09:42 PM   #381
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,238 Times in 2,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
Did you climb on top of the cover or cleaned from the ladder? It looks really clean!
Cleaned from the ladder. I think I saw the installers stand on the cover but I'm not sure what weight it could support. Would be way easier if I stood on it.

There are streaks for sure, if I was patient to dry and wipe the squeegee each time it would be cleaner, but I ain't got no time for that

But yeah I did it from the ladder, I bought two of these from Princess Auto last autumn and made a 12ft pole just for this purpose

2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 06:43 AM   #382
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,427 Times in 921 Posts
Shower head + faucet is leaking will need to replace the cartridge behind the knob.

Anyone done this before or should I hire someone?

Bathroom fan is also rattling and noisy!

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 07:49 AM   #383
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,918 Times in 753 Posts
If you can find the part numbers and can turn a wrench the shower cartridge is a very easy DIY. Bathroom fan may take a little more skill depending if it's a re/re of the same model or if you're changing our to something else but not outside the skillset of most RSers if you have experience tinkering with your car.
Old 05-11-2024, 07:59 AM   #384

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
Cleaned from the ladder. I think I saw the installers stand on the cover but I'm not sure what weight it could support. Would be way easier if I stood on it.

There are streaks for sure, if I was patient to dry and wipe the squeegee each time it would be cleaner, but I ain't got no time for that

But yeah I did it from the ladder, I bought two of these from Princess Auto last autumn and made a 12ft pole just for this purpose

[IMG]... [/IMG]
The last people that washed and painted my awning used planks like this to get on top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
Shower head + faucet is leaking will need to replace the cartridge behind the knob.

I've changed a few. Not all are the same. Delta was a one piece, just pull out the old and push in the new. I think the other brand was Moen, and that was 2 part a mixer and diverter. Had to make 2 trips to the store cuz I changing only 1 part didn't solve the problem.

It's pretty simple, just need some basic tools and know how to shut off the water. Some rough in valves can let you shut off right at your shower, otherwise you need to shut off your whole place. I had to shut off my whole house each time I did the shower valve.

FYI if yours is Delta, try to utilize the lifetime warranty. It was pretty painless to get them to mail me a replacement.
Old 05-12-2024, 07:51 AM   #385

Quote:

can be done yourself. just make sure you have the tools and ensure any nuts and bolts don't fall into the drain LOL. it does happen.

as for bathroom fan, take it out, give it a clean wipe and 99% of the time it'll be smooth unless the barring is done .
Old 05-12-2024, 07:58 AM   #386
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,427 Times in 921 Posts
This is in a condo and I've been advised 2x that I shouldn't do the shower faucet because if I fuck up I may leak into floors below me.

But watching this video, seems super easy. But worried about liability.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 08:21 AM   #387

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
Electrical work is finished and he/she wants to add a subpanel after the fact? Are you upgrading service at all? Ie, you currently get 100A from the city, but electrician wants to make it 200A
they are still working on the wiring.
saying they need more space' they can totally use these dual circuits... say it might trip 100AMP wth

total BS. hot water tank (not even the instant heating ones), heat pump / aC, oven, dryer.. no EV.. 2600 sq ft.. 4 rooms.. ic an't see how we can trip 100AMP unless they wire like shit.

100 amp house
hot water tank
oven

Last edited by 6793026; 05-12-2024 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-12-2024, 09:14 AM   #388

Quote:
This is in a condo and I've been advised 2x that I shouldn't do the shower faucet because if I fuck up I may leak into floors below me.

But watching this video, seems super easy. But worried about liability.

If you have your own shut off to your unit. DIY. Water isn't going to leak to other floors cuz the golden part of the rough in protrudes into the shower area, so excess water will drip into the shower and not behind the wall. Since you have already shut off the water to your suite, worst case is you have no water until a pro comes in and fixes it if you happen to fail. I skimmed the video, but that chrome ring removed by the belt, I was able to remove with my bare hands. If I wasn't able to use my hands I'd try gloved hands for more grip. I have a spare delta valve, looks the same as the one in the video. It only does on or off, if yours can choose hot and cold, then it's a different valve. If delta won't send you a new valve and mine is what you need, you can have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
they are still working on the wiring.
saying they need more space' they can totally use these dual circuits... say it might trip 100AMP wth

total BS. hot water tank (not even the instant heating ones), heat pump / aC, oven, dryer.. no EV.. 2600 sq ft.. 4 rooms.. ic an't see how we can trip 100AMP unless they wire like shit.

100 amp house
hot water tank
oven
If space is the problem, tell them to use the tandem breakers. If they plan to keep it at 100A service and still adding in the new circuits, it'll trip anyways whether it's 1 panel or 2. My suspicion is that they just want more room to work instead of having to shove wires in a tight spot. Couple tandems should be cheaper than a subpanel, cuz you'd have to buy a breaker to put in the main to feed the sub.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-12-2024, 02:31 PM   #389

Thanked 1,607 Times in 547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
I've been putting an effort into my lawn this year to see how good I can get it. Bought a soil analysis test, bought lime to neutralize the soil, fertilizer to adjust for nutrients that were missing based on the soil test, some top dressing and seed.

Well it's been ok but not as great as I'd hoped. I had a few bare areas from dead leaves and grubs over the winter and those unfortunately did not fill in.

However the areas with existing grass is looking pretty good.

Finally cut the lawn today after seeding about 4 weeks ago to see thr initial results of all my hard work and $$$ as well as cleaned my glass patio cover.

Next on the plan this weekend is to power wash the deck and patio furniture.
It's a 3-4 year process to start from scratch. I'm on year 3 now and there are still some patches and each year that passes the patchiness becomes less and less. It's a lot of work, especially if there's lots of shade, but patience is key!

I've also been working on a 10 year old apple tree for 3 years now, has also finally started to look good, thinking it will be ready in another 2 years.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: