REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 12-01-2021, 11:18 AM   #151
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
What's your heating system? Hydronic rads (IE boiler + 5 zone valves)?
I'm looking at replacing a 13 year old triangle tube combi boiler, 3 zone to baseboards. Every year it needs something, I'm just waiting for it to fail completely. My buddy says electric but I'm not so sure. Do you have any suggestions?
Advertisement

Last edited by GIZZ; 12-01-2021 at 02:46 PM.
GIZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 01:16 PM   #152
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,789 Times in 1,759 Posts
Like replace your hydronic baseboards with electric baseboards?

I mean electric baseboards are reliable and simple but running wiring in a finished house to facilitate that would probably be a huge pain. And expect your power bill to increase quite substantially.

What has been your main points of failure with your existing system that has you thinking of changing?
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 11:22 PM   #153
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZZ View Post
I'm looking at replacing a 13 year old triangle tube combi boiler, 3 zone to baseboards. Every year it needs something, I'm just waiting for it to fail completely. My buddy says electric but I'm not so sure. Do you have any suggestions?
It'll be impractical to put in electric heating at this point (unless your buddy was referring to an electric hydronic boiler)
The most practical solution would be replacing the current combi-boiler with another combi boiler. The Navien NCB-E series and Rinnai I-series are the two more popular ones (made in Korean and Japan, respectively). There are North American brands as well (Noritz, Rheem, IBC, NTI.....) or European (Bosch, Viessmann.....)
In the end, you would want to pick a manufacturer that has good tech support because chances are, you or your plumber/gasfitter will be calling at some point.
Old 12-05-2021, 07:45 AM   #154

Yes I was talking electric hydronic boiler, that would have lower operating costs and installation than running electric baseboards. But still higher cost to run than gas combi boiler.

The other half of it is that I read Vancouver and likely surrounding areas will be making a shift to zero emissions space and water heating. That will surely make repairing my already rare gas boiler even harder to find parts for. I'm replacing the low water cut off switch every other year. I changed out the blower once, the new one is loud and I fear it will fail again. This is just the most unreliable and difficult to service thing I've ever dealt with.
Old 12-05-2021, 09:43 AM   #155

Quote:
Yes I was talking electric hydronic boiler, that would have lower operating costs and installation than running electric baseboards. But still higher cost to run than gas combi boiler.
That's only half the problem. You still have to figure out how to heat your domestic water.
I've never like the idea of using combination boilers because once you have an issue and it stops running, you lose both space heating and domestic hot water
More often than not, combi-boilers are installed for a lack of space (not sure if this is your case)

Quote:
The other half of it is that I read Vancouver and likely surrounding areas will be making a shift to zero emissions space and water heating. That will surely make repairing my already rare gas boiler even harder to find parts for.
I wouldn't worry about that for the time being. It would take YEARS to implement such a thing. Imagine getting 2.5 million people in the lower mainland to retrofit their gas fired appliances to electric? And where does it end? Gas stove/ranges, gas fireplaces, gas BBQ???
Old 12-06-2021, 02:09 PM   #156
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Clearing the junk in the garage. Need more empty space.
tdeweyn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-06-2021, 11:24 PM   #157
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,582 Times in 4,317 Posts
Tell me about it. Had to pull everything out of the garage, to upgrade my compressor in the back corner. Reorganized and junked a bunch of stuff. Now I just need to sell a few things to get a car inside.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-07-2021, 10:38 AM   #158
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,489 Times in 4,301 Posts
I see a motorcycle back there
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 04:45 PM   #159

Rebuilding the carb this weekend. 127CID hard tail lol

fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol

RSUV #7
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2021, 02:40 PM   #160

Quote:

The other half of it is that I read Vancouver and likely surrounding areas will be making a shift to zero emissions space and water heating. That will surely make repairing my already rare gas boiler even harder to find parts for. I'm replacing the low water cut off switch every other year. I changed out the blower once, the new one is loud and I fear it will fail again. This is just the most unreliable and difficult to service thing I've ever dealt with.
If I were shifting off of gas, I'd be doing a air to water heat pump over an electric hydronic boiler.

https://www.daikin.com/products/ac/lineup/heat_pump
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 12-09-2021, 09:34 AM   #161

That looks expensive too. I'd need the high temp unit for my baseboard radiators.

And my boiler failed last night, the blower motor failed again. it tries to move so I'm guessing the plastic blades cracked. I hate this thing. Going to be a challenge getting parts, and its so damn cold in here.
Old 12-18-2021, 07:37 PM   #162

Quote:
And my boiler failed last night, the blower motor failed again. it tries to move so I'm guessing the plastic blades cracked. I hate this thing. Going to be a challenge getting parts, and its so damn cold in here.
Just curious, where does the exhaust vent to? The roof or the side of the house? Do you have a picture of the mechanical room where this combi boiler is installed?
Old 12-19-2021, 07:48 AM   #163

The flue run is about 15' to the side of the house. It's a no fan direct vent, sloping downwards with the final outlet much lower than the boiler. I bought the house like this. There is a capped stack for the old conventional furnace in that room, but earlier this year when I had the roof done I had them shaved the old stack.

I have the same unit in my garage, that exhaust is about 30 ft in length also exiting lower than the boiler. I haven't taken any good pics of the whole room.
Old 02-28-2022, 10:22 AM   #164
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
i want to hide the wires from my tv/soundbar/appletv but i want to keep it as neat as possible below.

i've seen these kits but you always have to install the power inlet into the wall, then connect it to a regular outlet. usually people hide this behind their entertainment unit, but i don't plan to have anything down below to hide wiring. is there any way i can make these connections behind the wall and just sacrifice the power outlet?
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 10:39 AM   #165

It would be against code to put a power plug inside a wall.

But what you could do, is install a new receptacle at the TV level and fish down a length of loomex/romex, and connect into the receptacle box below. May require some drywall cutting/patching to facilitate getting into the existing receptacle box, but this will be your cleanest solution.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2022, 11:08 AM   #166
SFICC-03*

hmm that's not a bad idea, i think that would be the cleanest way without getting in over my head.
Old 02-28-2022, 04:37 PM   #167
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,600 Times in 542 Posts
You can fish a flexible plastic conduit/raceway that will make fishing all your power/video/audio cables easily. The hardest part is installing it since you'll need a conduit with a diameter thicker than the power plug.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 06:50 AM   #168
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,306 Times in 5,629 Posts
Unit, I may have the kit to install a power plug as you said above. I bought it for my last place, basically just creates an approved junction from below to above. You can have it if I can find it.

It’s kind of hokey now as I would just wire in a new actual outlet but this is a good solution when you can’t fish a wire run
Old 03-01-2022, 12:50 PM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Unit, I may have the kit to install a power plug as you said above. I bought it for my last place, basically just creates an approved junction from below to above. You can have it if I can find it.

It’s kind of hokey now as I would just wire in a new actual outlet but this is a good solution when you can’t fish a wire run
If I understand his issue correctly, he doesn't have a piece of furniture under the TV and therefore if uses one of those kits the cord from the extended junction to the actual power receptacle will be visible, and he wants that hidden.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2022, 01:40 PM   #170
SFICC-03*

^exactly!

thanks for the offer honda, i still might take you up on it if i do decide to go that way and just connect the plugs together.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2022, 01:42 PM   #171
SFICC-03*

on another note, i took possession of my condo last week and move in is in about 2 weeks.
the first thing i did was buy 2 new toilets, because they bought these lame designer square ones that my bidets don't fit on, so i bought 2 american standard elongated ones.

since there is no strata yet i have nobody to ask, but do you normally have to let the strata know if you are changing the toilets? if so then i'll probably have to wait until the strata is formed before doing it, but if it's unnecessary then i'll just change them now. i plan to do it myself since it seems straightforward but was also wondering if it's typical for a strata to expect you to get a licensed and insured plumber to do the job since it involves water. any thoughts?
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2022, 02:52 PM   #172

Lol I saw your ad on FB this morning

RSUV #7
Old 03-01-2022, 02:57 PM   #173
SFICC-03*

haha! i had like 15 messages in an hour
Old 03-01-2022, 06:39 PM   #174
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,489 Times in 4,301 Posts
In my experience, if you are replacing something like-for-like with no modifications, you are good to go. Your only other option is to check with property management. I don't think you need a certified plumber for something like this.

Which American Standard toilet did you get? We're trying to get the Tofino for our renovation, but man, it's jumped in price since last year.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 07:09 PM   #175
SFICC-03*

thanks that makes sense.

i got the decor, i like the flush sides. especially since i have pets and they tend to leave pet hair in nooks and crannies.