REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 07-27-2023, 09:41 PM   #351
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
we're getting our house painted and also the bathroom reno'd.
the shower tub is an older size standard, 30" x 30".
newer ones are always like 32" x 32" or bigger.

the old owner redid the shower not too long ago with a tile surround and glass shower door that's actually not too bad, but they re-used the shower tub, probably because of this exact reason.

without demoing and moving the wall and plumbing, and possibly having to deal with a load bearing wall, the only options are to re-use the shower tub (ew), or to do a tile floor.

i asked the contractor who is doing the painting if he could make some suggestions for me and he said he could just paint it and it would be completely fine. i have a hard time believing this. i can see it becoming dirty and worn, and also difficult to clean. the guy is insistent that it will be good, and he has been very good and picky about the paint job around the house so i trust his workmanship, but that just seems wrong.

if we can't find a replacement floor tub then im thinking im gonna get the floor tiled instead. would anyone actually go the other route and get it painted? money is somewhat important but im not penny pinching if it's going to look like shit in a year or two.
My first thought was to paint/seal the tray. It'll give you a "new" surface to use and not feel icky anymore. If he uses a sprayer you'll get the uniform look and feel vs using a roller or brush.

My second thought was to cement and tile. We did this as we didn't want to be constrained by production sizes. It's also just nicer in general, but because of grout lines, keeping it clean is more work.
Advertisement
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 07:01 AM   #352
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,365 Times in 5,658 Posts
When you say use a tile floor I’m assuming you’re meaning rip out the tub and put a stand up shower in?
Old 07-28-2023, 07:03 AM   #353
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,457 Times in 990 Posts
its a stand up shower already, it has a shower base/pan is what i meant.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 10:58 AM   #354
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
"if we can't find a replacement floor tub then im thinking im gonna get the floor tiled instead."

So remove old shower base and put in tiles?
I'd go this route if you have someone competent and can do proper waterproofing.

As for having it painted, I've had over 10 bathtubs refinished professionally. Looks and feel brand new after.

I've seen people try and DIY and paint their bathtub, shower bases with the canned epoxy paint. With proper prep and patience - itll look good.
Fafine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 12:49 PM   #355

Personally I’d be very hesitant to just tile a floor and rely on the waterproofing/drainage to prevent a leak, especially if it’s an upstairs bathroom

My contractor has a guy who makes custom fiberglass shower bases to whatever size/drain location you need, I can get a contact for you if you want.

I don’t have a picture but I’ll take one when I get home of ours, it’s a custom base that was then tiled over, looks great and is virtually leak proof the way the drain etc. is configured
Old 07-28-2023, 01:33 PM   #356

Of course not just tile on floor, it'd be concrete base with a waterproofing membrane, and there's lots of different shower systems out there- kerdi being one of them.

But it gets expensive in comparison to just refinishing your current shower base.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-28-2023, 02:38 PM   #357
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,457 Times in 990 Posts
hmm yeah it would be either refinishing the base, or remodeling the bathroom to take a bigger base and putting in a smaller vanity. either the cheap way or the really expensive way, no sense in putting in a new 30" shower base, ripping out all the tile and redoing the shower just for that. the tile and shower door are actually not bad at all, if the rest of the bathroom was updated to match then i wouldnt even consider doing a renovation. only reason im hesitant to just go the cheap way and paint the base is because a 30"x30" shower is really damn small. i'd be a lot happier in the end if we got it to 30" x 36" or even 30" x 40" and then just got a slightly smaller vanity instead.

im just a bit concerned about cleaning a painted base. can you use a magic eraser on that?
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 03:57 PM   #358

With refinishing, it'll look and feel like new - if done properly.
And you'd clean it like any other shower bases / tubs.
Old 07-28-2023, 04:04 PM   #359
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,413 Posts
I'm gonna be doing a composite shower base for my upcoming bathroom remodel.

Not sure if that's the same as fibreglass.

But it's cheaper, easier to install, and easier to maintain than tile.

And looks nicer than acrylic shower base with the raised lip/surround
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 07:16 PM   #360
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
Put on your interior designer caps and show me your ideas for a man cave/entertaining area. Placement of lighting, outlets, wall mounted TV, speakers, receivers, game consoles, tables, chairs, couches, ping pong table, stripper pole, whatever else you may want in your man cave.

SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 07:22 PM   #361

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
Where do those doors go?
snowball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 07:53 PM   #362

Top left, washroom to wash car parts
top right, closet to store car parts
middle right, entrance/exit
Old 08-03-2023, 11:43 AM   #363

This is my fiberglass shower base which was tiled over as I mentioned

Old 08-04-2023, 12:48 PM   #364

Buttoned up the door that I was working on by filling in the old holes for hinges and strike and I changed the door trim.

This post thanked by:
Old 10-12-2023, 08:12 AM   #365
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,514 Times in 4,312 Posts
One of our Moen shower faucets started leaking after 3 years with minimal use which means the cartridge needs to be replaced.

Moen customer care was hit-and-miss. Digital/web-based support offered to send me one as a goodwill gesture as I was not the original owner / installer of the shower faucet set and I did not have the receipt, so they offered to send it to me for free but $15.00 shipping.

I called their toll-free number and was routed to their US-based care centre who offered to send me a new cartridge at zero cost.

If anyone is looking to purchase Moen products, I have a discount code that is good for anywhere between 20 to 75% off on their website. The discount code is good for 6 days from this post. Please PM me if you can benefit from the discount code and I will share.

Edit: I just browsed the portal. Some of their prices, depending on the product, even after discount, are not jaw dropping, so keep your expectations low.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank

Last edited by bcrdukes; 10-12-2023 at 09:43 AM.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-12-2023, 01:19 PM   #366
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,346 Times in 973 Posts
^ yeah i went thru that.. the discounts were epic.. and it wasn't the models my wife wanted as well. Sure it's a great gesture and marketing to say the least.
6793026 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 12:46 PM   #367

Maybe you guys can aware me. For sliding shower glass like this...

https://www.bathworks.ca/Ajax-Barrie...hower-Door.HTM

The pic is pretty close to what my shower set up will be like, 2 sides of glass, the door section will be closer to the shower head rather than opposite end like in the pic. Does the chance of water leaking out make a difference if the sliding door part is on the inside vs outside of the shower? In the pic, the door slides inside the shower
Old 11-07-2023, 07:14 AM   #368

I have a similar design and my door is on the inside of the static glass

I think it kind of has to be otherwise when water hits the sliding door and it’s on the outside it’s just going to sit on the top of the basin or worse, just run outside of the shower base all together
Old 11-07-2023, 11:53 AM   #369
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
That's either the same or very close to the shower door I have. Despite the box and the product pictures showing it like that, the instructions actually say to have it the other way around with the door at the same end as the shower head. You should be able to download the instructions and see which way it says to have it.

That in mind we installed it the way it is in that picture and haven't had a problem. Either way the sliding door will need to be on the inside otherwise I can't see how you wouldn't end up with water running onto the floor outside.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 12:54 PM   #370
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

I filled 2 large green bins with branches off the spruce in my front yard, easier and less stress than I imagined. Branches were touching neighbours and my power, phone and cable lines. A few years ago one broke and took out my shaw, it's always been in the back of my mind to trim this.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2023, 09:58 AM   #371
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
Top left, washroom to wash car parts
top right, closet to store car parts
middle right, to the car
fixed.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-15-2023, 09:13 AM   #372
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,514 Times in 4,312 Posts
There is a hotel I stay at in Montreal that's close to our company's office and the design of the shower sliding door is on the outside.

Let me say that it is the worst design. Ever. I'd be lucky if water doesn't leak out onto the floor and flood. And that's with me proactively trying my best to avoid water getting on to the floor.

Every time I check out of that hotel, I pray to Jesus, Allah, and Buddah and clench my ass to make sure there isn't a hit against the damage deposit on my credit card.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 09:16 AM   #373
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,309 Times in 2,515 Posts
Flooded Basement

Need some help and suggestions from the RS collective hive mind on how to proceed after a basement flooding event.

The atmospheric river we had on Monday resulted in a section of my brother's basement flooding. His house is an old bungalow in a long rectangular shape, and the water pooled at one end where the fireplace is. We actually have no clue how or where the water came from -- on Monday night when the rain was coming down hard, he noticed that water just started seeping out from the laminate floor, and it gradually pooled up to about the size of a queen / king size bed. It never got very deep, and they were able to soak the water up when the rain stopped on Tuesday.

Obviously insurance has been called, and a restoration company has come to take an initial look. The restoration work will proceed, and will probably take a few months to complete. We've gone through the very same process a few years ago when my parents' bungalow basement suffered a really bad flood, so we know the drill in how the restoration will happen.

But what we don't know and desperately need help with is on identifying the water breach and getting that fixed. With my parents' home, that was the easy part because our sump pit drain got clogged, so the atmospheric river water backed up and overflowed from the sump pit, flooding the entire basement in a good 2" - 3" of water. But in my brother's case, we honestly have no idea -- the sump pit is not at that end of the house, and it didn't overflow.

It'd be pointless to do the restoration work if we are unable to identify the breach because the same flooding will happen all over again at the next atmospheric river event -- or maybe even just from heavy rain. The restoration company has already indicated that they can only do the restoration work, and has no interest in performing any work to identify and/or repair the breach.

So we are stuck here because we literally have no clue on how we can even proceed. We are thinking we need to hire somebody who can help us identify some potential sources of the breach, and perform the necessary work to eliminate those potential causes. We know that would likely be educated guesswork instead of definitively identifying where the breach is, but we are not even sure who we can/should talk to to get the ball rolling.

I know we have a lot of trades / construction knowledge in RS, and I know we have a lot of experienced home owners that are far more knowledgeable and resourceful than I am, so I am hoping I can tap into your brains to help my brother out.

Thank you for your help in advance.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 09:56 AM   #374
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Has anything been demo'd? The water pooled there but it may have come into the house from somewhere else and stayed under the flooring or in the wall so you might need to chase it back a bit.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 10:10 AM   #375
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,309 Times in 2,515 Posts
Nothing has been demo-ed yet as of yesterday, but the restoration person came for a look, and mentioned that they will very likely rip up the laminate floors in the entire (basement) living room to get to a point where the floors are dry. A certain amount of drywall near the floor will also be cut open to ensure there is no water damage up along those walls. At that point, it is possible that there will be more obvious signs of where the breach is, but the fact remains that the restoration company will not perform any remediation work to seal up the breach unless it can be counted within the scope of the restoration. So we are still going to need someone to help us fix the breach.

Based on what we've gone through with my parents' flood, the initial part here is gonna be a bit slow because the restoration company needs to do all the due diligence stuff to check for contamination and hazardous materials (asbestos among others, and I'm sure the drywalls will have asbestos simply because of the age of the house).

It is gonna be a PITA, and I don't envy the stress my brother will have to put up with.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote