REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 02-07-2021, 11:29 AM   #1
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
What did you do to your house today?

I thought there was already a thread like this but I couldn't find it.

Anyways, since most of us are homeowners, I figured it'd be nice to see what people are up to, in terms of repairs, maintenance and upgrades.

Last month, I got a pinhole leak from my hot water piping (fucking Poly B). Good thing it was just in a closet on the first floor, above the crawlspace and I have vinyl flooring.

Replaced both lines in the closet and cleaned some bullshit coming off the HW tank. Fucking copper/sharkbite/PEX/Poly B, all within 12".

Advertisement

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2021, 11:37 AM   #2

Since I was already down there, figured I might as well seal up the ductwork, good and tight.

fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol

RSUV #7
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2021, 11:52 AM   #3

Last night, the GF tells me the dryer is running but not blowing any heat. Yay #dadjobs

Whew. Just a heating element. Full kit, with thermostat, thermistor and fuse, $50 on Prime. Luckily, a serviceable part that's readily available.

I was looking at new washers and dryers but cotdamn, everything uses proprietary circuits and computers and shit. I just want an old fashioned timer, don't need fancy shit.

I also hate washing machines on the 2nd floor. If I didn't have to sacrifice, precious garage space, it'd be in there.

RSUV #7
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2021, 03:48 PM   #4
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Good on you for tackling all of this, most would just replace it as that's the type of world we live in these days.
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2021, 07:34 PM   #5

Thanks.

Yeah, we live in a disposable world - just throw it out and buy a new one. Problem is, it's a waste of resources, costly and there's down time. Of course, it depends on the cost of the parts, which is another reason I prefer old tech. I don't need bells and whistles. If it's clean and works, I'm good.

RSUV #7
Old 02-07-2021, 08:13 PM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
In your first pic, did they put a shut off inside the wall or was there an access panel?
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 07:47 AM   #7
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Simple one yesterday, replaced the discharge hose on my samsung washer. Should have done this sooner, the old hose was filthy.
Old 02-08-2021, 01:13 PM   #8
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
why do you have vinyl flooring? and is it the old vinyl or like vinyl plank?

we are considering changing carpet to vinyl plank....

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 02:38 PM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,815 Times in 341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post

Just redid my flooring for my entire kitchen and all my washrooms with vinyl plank. Vinyl plank is great... water resistant and durable.

2018 Golf R MK7.5 (Daily)
2001 S2000 (Weekend Warrior)
1991 Merc 300 TE-24 AMG Estate - Sold
2005 STi - Sold
1987 AE86 GTS - Sold
1986 AE86 GTS - Sold
gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-08-2021, 03:57 PM   #10
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,307 Posts
How do you like it so far? My designer is pushing me to get what they call here "luxury vinyl." I'm not opposed to it but I'm still a fan of a good engineered laminate.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 07:52 PM   #11
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
We did all the bathrooms with vinyl plank, mainly because young kids = lots of water going everywhere. It was amazing to work with, a little fiddly keeping the first few pieces locked together but once you get going it's a breeze (especially compared to the headaches of installing our bamboo flooring). Aside from all the usual advantages of a manmade product, you can cut it with a box cutter. No running outside to use a saw, no duct to clean up, no noise. You could do your entire place at 3am in the middle of a blizzard.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:55 PM   #12
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,462 Times in 1,127 Posts
Right on for getting rid of that polyB. Since most of these systems are coming up to the 25-30 year mark in age, I'm hearing more and more failures these days.

I had a professional crew re-pipe our whole house last year. It wasn't cheap (over 10K), but piece of mind is pretty important.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2021, 11:32 AM   #13

Installed 2 things today.

Eufy Smart lock and a new furnace. Costco has a promotion for the month of February. Up to $1500 giftcard and Fortis BC has a rebate until March.

Eufy smart lock is awesome too. Pin pad, traditional key and fingerprint. Fingerprint unlocking and locked is super fast.

2005 STi - Sold
1987 AE86 GTS - Sold
1986 AE86 GTS - Sold
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2021, 11:36 AM   #14
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,531 Times in 1,519 Posts
Oh hey I got the Eufy doorbell too. 4K, no subscription. It's great! I haven't installed yet tho, because I need to figure out how to mount it to siding LOL
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:09 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post

Vinyl plank. Did the whole main floor including kitchen and powder room. It's nice to not have any transitions. Not only is it waterproof but the joints are so tight that water doesn't go through them. Another cool thing is that it hardly expands or contracts, like wood or laminate. So it's not a big deal to install fairly tight against walls that can't be covered by trim (think closet J beads. Hell, I didn't even undercut some door jambs and it looks good.

If I do tile the main bathrooms (just for esthetics), I'd be comfortable butting up the vinyl to the metal edging - maybe a 1mm gap, caulked.

RSUV #7

Last edited by fliptuner; 02-10-2021 at 09:15 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2021, 09:24 AM   #16
RS Veteran

Glad to know vinyl plank doesn't expand/contract like wood and laminate - I didn't consider this. I put more thought on this for my main floor because it's the coldest as it's on concrete.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 02-10-2021, 12:43 PM   #17
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,462 Times in 1,127 Posts
We have vinyl plank above sheet vinyl in our kitchen (from the previous owner) and in our basement on top of concrete. Vinyl plank is a maintenance-free product, but it's pretty thin and so you have to be mindful if you want to place it on an existing hard subfloor, like concrete or tile. You might want to add another insulating/padding layer in between your subfloor and the layer of vinyl.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:55 PM   #18
RS Veteran

Will be getting heated floors.

Old 02-11-2021, 08:24 AM   #19

One important thing to mention about vinyl plank is to make sure your floor is leveled before installing. A disadvantage of vinyl planks....don't think it is possible to rip off just one plank if you want to redo it after being installed.

If you are having contractors do it for you. Make sure to tell them to level the floor before installing..because mine didnt tell me and the corner of my powder room is creaking. They are coming back to try to glue or nail it down to fix the creaks.

My friend who is also renovating had unleveled floors. His contractors didn't tell him too but my friend caught it just in time before they installed. It was an extra charge for him if he wanted it leveled.

Just a FYI

2005 STi - Sold
1987 AE86 GTS - Sold
1986 AE86 GTS - Sold
Old 02-11-2021, 09:12 AM   #20
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,763 Times in 905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 View Post
Good on you for tackling all of this, most would just replace it as that's the type of world we live in these days.
IN my last place where we had the washer and dryer side by side I tackled it and fixed it. Now that I'm in a townhouse where it's stacked and almost no room to really work on it even if I could get it down myself fucking no way lol.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 10:10 PM   #21

bought a new bathroom fan and relocated it so it's more centralized in the room.

Last edited by SSM_DC5; 02-11-2021 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-12-2021, 05:46 AM   #22
RS Veteran

Which make/model and CFM is your bathroom fan? I'm looking to switch mine out to Panasonic units.

Old 02-12-2021, 06:55 AM   #23
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,763 Times in 905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Which make/model and CFM is your bathroom fan? I'm looking to switch mine out to Panasonic units.
Also interested I need to replace the fans because the cheap ass developer didn't install the wind flap and you can't buy the part alone. It's cold as fuck during cold days/nights

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:26 AM   #24

Quote:
I replaced all 3 of my fans with these panasonic ones. Very quiet. Not too hard to install. Have 2 fan settings... 80 or 110 CFM.

$150 at homedepot

2005 STi - Sold
1987 AE86 GTS - Sold
1986 AE86 GTS - Sold
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2021, 12:04 PM   #25

Quote:
So many different ones offered by Panasonic. I did quite a bit of research before I bought mine. I removed my current one to see how the old one was installed. I needed to measure my clearances, the current ducts, and read the instructions of the ones I was thinking of buying.

I ended up buying 3 different models based on the access I had to work on it, clearances, ducting, cfms.
The one in the pic is 290 cfm, 2 sonnes, requires attic access, 6" duct for about $250. All my old ones were 90 cfm, 2.5 sonnes and couldn't be removed from the ceiling hole, so I needed to cut the ceiling to get to the mounts. Paint was peeling on the door trim to the washroom, so I had to make some upgrades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
Also interested I need to replace the fans because the cheap ass developer didn't install the wind flap and you can't buy the part alone. It's cold as fuck during cold days/nights
What size duct? My old one was 4 inch. Maybe you can make the duct work on yours.
This post thanked by: