REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-30-2021, 03:05 PM   #26
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
The residential school in Kamloops is owned and occupied by the Kamloops Indian Band. I had wondered why they never tore it down instead. Growing up in Kamloops, I remember taking a grade 4 field trip to the school, as parts of it were used as a museum of native culture. I remember the canoe interested me the most. I don't recall any lessons on the horrible history of the school. Those discussions could have happened, I U I just don't recall.

In 2010-2011, I was attending courses at TRU with a man in his 50s who was in residential schools growing up. He had lost the hearing in one of his ears from being smacked in the head too many times.

My first time really learning anything about residential schools was when the tv movie Where The Spirit Lives aired in 1989 on cbc. I think my parents had me watch in it part, because my Grandma (not native) endured similar harsh treatment and beatings at the hands of Catholic nuns/priests when placed in a boarding school at 8 years old (around 1920), after her mother died. She never got over that.

Some years ago I skimmed through our family bible (kind of like a bible but with family letters, articles, pictures added) and saw someone in our family had once been placed in a "Home for Wayward Girls and Women" run by nuns back in Ireland. To be a single mother was a big no no back then. My mother and I laughed at the language used in the letter describing the home and it's purpose, but the realities were much worse. Not long after some horrible news broke about the discovery of a mass grave at one of these very places.

Quote:
Almost 800 'forgotten' Irish children dumped in septic tank mass grave at Catholic home

A septic tank was used to dump the bodies of almost 800 babies and children in Ireland near a home for unmarried mothers run by nuns, new research has shown, throwing more light on the Irish Catholic Church's troubled past.

Death records suggest 796 children, from newborns to eight-year-olds, were dumped in a septic tank near a Catholic-run home for unmarried mothers, turning it into in a mass grave. The deaths occurred during the 35 years the home operated from 1925 to 1961.

The government announced it was examining the "best means" to address the "deeply disturbing" revelations.

Historian Catherine Corless, who made the discovery, said her study of death records for St Mary's home in Tuam in County Galway suggests the former septic tank near the facility is a mass grave.

The septic tank, full to the brim with bones, was discovered in 1975 by locals when concrete slabs covering the tank broke up.

Until now, locals believed the bones mainly stemmed from the Great Irish famine of the 1840s when hundreds of thousands perished.

St Mary's, run by the Bon Secours Sisters, was one of several "mother and baby" homes in early 20th century Ireland.

Thousands of unmarried pregnant women - labelled "fallen women" at the time - were sent to the homes to have their babies.

The women were ostracised by the conservative Catholic society and were often forced to hand over their children for adoption.

Health issues and problems associated with the homes have long been documented. As far back as 1944, a government inspection report of the Tuam home described some of the children as "fragile, pot-bellied and emaciated".

The recently discovered death records for St Mary's show that 796 children died from malnutrition and infectious diseases, such as measles and TB.

Conservative Catholic teaching at the time denied children of unmarried parents baptism and therefore burial in consecrated land.

The home was knocked down many years ago to make way for new houses, but the area around the unmarked mass grave has been maintained by locals.

A fundraising committee has now been formed and it is hoped a memorial will be built with all the names and ages of the children displayed.

Archbishop of Tuam Michael Neary said he would meet leaders of the Bon Secours Sisters to assist with the memorial.

Minister for children and youth affairs Charlie Flanagan said "active consideration is being given to the best means of addressing the harrowing details".

"Many of the revelations are deeply disturbing and a shocking reminder of a darker past in Ireland when our children were not cherished as they should have been," he said.

Archbishop of Dublin Diarmuid Martin said if a public inquiry into the "mother and baby" homes in Ireland was not established then a social history project was necessary.

He also said he supports "excavating what may be unmarked graves" at these sites.

The development is yet another damning disclosure of a Catholic Church-run institution in Ireland following almost countless revelations of abuse and neglect at schools or institutions in recent decades.

AFP

Posted 4 JunJune 2014, updated 5 JunJune 2014
Advertisement
Old 05-30-2021, 06:19 PM   #27
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
Among the many fucked up things about residential schools is that they were still running in the 90s. The FUCKING 90s!!!!! At least American abolished slavery a century ago (their greatest sin) while our greatest sin was still alive when I became an adult. It's just bonkers.

Also, how are there not people in prison for this? This was not just a case of schools being tough or gov't support - much of what happened was/is a crime. Sexual and physical abuse, murder, etc. Many of the people who ran these schools are still alive - how is it that they walk free?
Because they are all associated with the church
Old 05-30-2021, 06:39 PM   #28
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
A fundraising committee has now been formed and it is hoped a memorial will be built with all the names and ages of the children displayed.

Archbishop of Tuam Michael Neary said he would meet leaders of the Bon Secours Sisters to assist with the memorial.

assist with the memorial? the guy is part of of an organization worth tens of billions and he is talking about assisting. What B.S.

I also have a hard time believing they have no records of any of this. I wouldn't be surprised if they are hiding a lot of damaging information.
Old 05-31-2021, 07:47 AM   #29
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,735 Times in 955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
Among the many fucked up things about residential schools is that they were still running in the 90s. The FUCKING 90s!!!!!
We honestly still have not changed that much, there has never been a time in history someone wasn't getting the shaft.There is a metric ton of exploitation and abuse of disadvantaged groups across the globe. We're just somewhat isolated from it living in a 1st world country. You saw first hand how ugly people got when Covid 19 happened. Most people are 2 rocks and a stick away from going back to caveman shit.

Google "MS St.Louis" or "Komagata Maru"

Last edited by trollface; 05-31-2021 at 08:09 AM.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-31-2021, 07:58 AM   #30
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

https://arcabc.ca/islandora/object/tru:1611
^
Stories from people who have survived the place.
Date published: 2001
nismodrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-31-2021, 01:44 PM   #31
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,560 Times in 1,710 Posts
We'll see how long this one stays in the news as opposed to the Humboldt Broncos deaths, in which the country stood still for months.

Definitely not seeing this news carry as many legs anecdotally online as I did that one.

I suppose some lives are more important then others.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-31-2021, 01:48 PM   #32

It's almost laughable that the RCMP are saddled with handling the investigation into missing indigenous people.

The same premilitary group formed for the exact basis of controlling and pacifying indigenous people -- and to a lesser/shorter extent, the Irish.

Imagine being indigenous and having to see our federal police force turn a blind eye, ignore, or cover up hundreds if not thousands of missing and killed people in this province alone?

It's wild when you think about it.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-31-2021, 04:05 PM   #33
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,408 Times in 5,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
We'll see how long this one stays in the news as opposed to the Humboldt Broncos deaths, in which the country stood still for months.

Definitely not seeing this news carry as many legs anecdotally online as I did that one.

I suppose some lives are more important then others.
I’m glad I’m not the only “heartless bastard” that thought that whole thing was ridiculous compared to what else happens in this world... a tragedy yes but geez whole country leaving sticks out in porches and stuff... most people won’t even light a candle for these poor native kids
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-31-2021, 08:10 PM   #34
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
The full movie of Where The Spirit Lives is on Youtube if anyone wants to watch it.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:10 AM   #35

Old 06-02-2021, 05:51 PM   #36
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,511 Times in 4,903 Posts
I was at Forest Lawn cemetery yesterday when I noticed the Canadian flag at the fountain was flying full mast. I phoned the office and made a suggestion to have it lowered to half mast as a gesture of respect for the 215 dead indigenous children. Receptionist passed me on the the person in charge of the grounds. They told me they are not a government owned facility, so it was not something, something, something - poor reception. I told them I understand, but it would be a nice gesture nonetheless. Today, the flag was at half mast.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2021, 12:34 AM   #37
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
Indians, Native indians, indigenous, Aboriginals, First nations.... All these names. I've volunteered on a native reserve for 5 yrs so I can imagine...

I had someone tell me "you'll never understand what I had to go thru at residential school" that hit close to home.

I saw the news report on CBC today during dinner (East coast feed); they had a INDIAN crisis hotline... wtf... how politically incorrect is this... INDIAN crisis hotline... wtf.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 12:42 AM   #38
MG1

Like Indian curry............ I mean that term came about because of Columbus and other explorers thinking they reached the orient. India. Let's see........... they don't look very chinese. Yeah, they're Indians.

I guess natives is okay? Indigenous suggests they were always here. Not so.

First Nations, because they had nations set up? That works. Aboriginals.......... that's a white man term, yes?

EDIT: inhabiting or existing in a land from the earliest times or from before the arrival of colonists; indigenous.

Yeah, it's confusing. Like gay people not wanting to be called gay. Some want to be called queers, fairies, etc. Then it changes back to wanting to be called gay. And, I'm not talking about trans and in between all that......... my head hurts.

I don't want to be called a senior, btw, lol. Old fart, maybe?

Last edited by MG1; 06-03-2021 at 12:51 AM.
Old 06-03-2021, 12:54 AM   #39
MG1

So, if pope, john paul, or whoever it is these days apologizes, that means they are admitting something. Deny, deny, deny................ like, "I did not have sexual relations with that woman...."

Someone needs to dig up records that must have been made by people in charge.

This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2021, 07:43 AM   #40

Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,902 Posts
Catholic church is just beginning to admit the sexual molestation, sexual assault, cover up ... how long did that take and how much $$ through litigation, courts, etc.?
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2021, 10:38 AM   #41
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,390 Times in 586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Catholic church is just beginning to admit the sexual molestation, sexual assault, cover up ... how long did that take and how much $$ through litigation, courts, etc.?
Only about 1000 years.

It's well past the point for the Church to lose their tax exemption status. Religious groups like non-profits are given this exemption if they are deemed to create public benefit. They clearly do not. One years worth of property tax on church's in Canada would fund clean drinking water for every indigenous community in the country and then some. It's a start, and they fucking owe it.
JD¹³ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 11:16 AM   #42

Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,902 Posts
I actually don't think it is a bad idea to fine the Catholic church to support, help, counsel, etc. in order to make amends. How about $1 billion as a start? Instead of our tax dollars going toward further sonar/radar tests at every residential school.

... actually, make that $5 billion as a start.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 11:32 AM   #43
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,390 Times in 586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
I actually don't think it is a bad idea to fine the Catholic church to support, help, counsel, etc. in order to make amends. How about $1 billion as a start? Instead of our tax dollars going toward further sonar/radar tests at every residential school.
Too slow and no leverage, they'd drag it through the courts forever because they'd spend the same or more to save face. Property tax = HERE'S YOUR BILL and all tax paid by the church goes to the fund. Don't want to pay it? Property is seized/foreclosed and sold to achieve the same result.
JD¹³ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 02:19 PM   #44
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
-Will there be any confirmation of the ground radar results, or a second company to verify?
-How accurate is this technology? ex. could it be 200 bodies or 230 bodies or is this technology 100% accurate?
-Can it detect humans vs animals?
-For example if there were 10 bodies on picktons property is this technology accurate enough for criminal convictions without excavation or do the actual bones need to be dug up?
Old 06-03-2021, 02:53 PM   #45
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,907 Times in 3,870 Posts
I imagine if they found 215 skulls that's pretty conclusively from 215 humans. I'm not sure why you're expecting it to need verification though.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 04:53 PM   #46

Well they will likely exhume them at this point and do proper DNA testing etc
Old 06-03-2021, 08:55 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I imagine if they found 215 skulls that's pretty conclusively from 215 humans. I'm not sure why you're expecting it to need verification though.
Well I was not aware they found 215 definitive skulls. Other mass graves take years of investigation. It’s been a few days therefore I think it’s more appropriate to say suspected remains of 215 until the physical evidence confirms it.
Old 06-04-2021, 11:00 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubfid View Post
Well I was not aware they found 215 definitive skulls. Other mass graves take years of investigation. It’s been a few days therefore I think it’s more appropriate to say suspected remains of 215 until the physical evidence confirms it.
Curious what point you're trying to allege here? That residential schools didn't exist, and that the firsthand stories of atrocities committed there are simply lies?

I'm all for being a skeptic, but just curious where you're going with this thought process?

I've seen some people using the same rationale online, claiming these deaths were as a result of TB or small pox, and not as a result of any nefarious reasons.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-04-2021, 12:01 PM   #49
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,693 Times in 1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubfid View Post
-Will there be any confirmation of the ground radar results, or a second company to verify?
-How accurate is this technology? ex. could it be 200 bodies or 230 bodies or is this technology 100% accurate?
-Can it detect humans vs animals?
-For example if there were 10 bodies on picktons property is this technology accurate enough for criminal convictions without excavation or do the actual bones need to be dug up?
While GPR will never be 100% accurate, and does require a bit of skill/experience to decipher the graphs, it's pretty damn accurate. GPR won't show you an outline of a skull, it'll pickup where the bodies are laid.

Because the bodies were buried over a period of time, the likelihood of them just being tossed in a pit is very low (sorry, I know that's a bit grim). And so it's likely a number of bodies over an area, which is very easy/accurate.

As ^ said, being a skeptic is probably a good thing, but your questions come off as thinly disguised conspiracy theorist questions...

Spoiler!
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-04-2021, 02:15 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
Curious what point you're trying to allege here? That residential schools didn't exist, and that the firsthand stories of atrocities committed there are simply lies?

I'm all for being a skeptic, but just curious where you're going with this thought process?

I've seen some people using the same rationale online, claiming these deaths were as a result of TB or small pox, and not as a result of any nefarious reasons.
I made no comments about residential schools or conspiracies. I’m simply wondering the accuracy of the technology to come up with the 215 number. It is a substantial claim regardless of the location/circumstances.