REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-27-2021, 10:10 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Remains of 215 indigenous children found in Kamloops

https://www.citynews1130.com/2021/05...tish-columbia/

Thought this deserved its own thread. Remains of 215 indigenous children found at the site of an old residential school. A reminder of Canada's genocide.
Advertisement
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 10:13 PM   #2
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,110 Times in 602 Posts
Saw this while at work, fucking sick what was done in the past.
mk1freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 06:44 AM   #3
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
I am so disheartened by this. I heard it on the radio this morning and am sick to my stomach that this took place.

It is an absolute tragedy that is only glossed over in our history books. I think it's time we call what the Indian Act did as a systematic genocide of the indigenous population.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 08:46 AM   #4
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,328 Times in 5,644 Posts
So every article I’ve read on this doesn’t seem to be very alarmed by it?

So I’m assuming there were assumptions or knowledge of this previously and it’s only arisen again because of the scans? Or am I wrong? Because even some of the people interviewed directly involved seem to have this attitude of it being known before this?
Old 05-28-2021, 08:58 AM   #5
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post

So I’m assuming there were assumptions or knowledge of this previously and it’s only arisen again because of the scans? Or am I wrong? Because even some of the people interviewed directly involved seem to have this attitude of it being known before this?
Correct. The scans confirmed what was long suspected.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2021, 08:59 AM   #6
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,696 Times in 1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post

Articles are supposed to be unbiased - other than op-ed's if someone wrote an article to the tone of what everone is (and should be) feeling, that would unfortunately be poor journalism.

And from what I've read, everyone that lived around these schools or were relatives of victims, all knew about it. It's just making the news now, because well, it made the news.

There was a post on reddit about how one site of a residential school (maybe even this one, not sure) couldn't be remediated for a long time because no excavating company would go near it. They'd find bodies of children everywhere they dug, and would all nope the fuck out. Even for this one, they used GPR instead of actually digging.

Sickening.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 09:24 AM   #7

I don’t blame them who wants to dig up skeletons of children..

Should be like an archeology team not an excavation contractor
Old 05-28-2021, 10:36 AM   #8
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
So who here supported Senator Lynn Beyak? This is just one school of many.

Old 05-28-2021, 10:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
So who here supported Senator Lynn Beyak? This is just one school of many.

Why would you use some crudely drawn image as any official source of news.

At least link a proper fucking article.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3943954/c...enate-website/

That said, read the article - she's far worse than whatever your meme portrays her to be. She's like an older grosser Canadian MTG.
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-28-2021, 10:54 AM   #10
in the butt

Thanked 3,220 Times in 1,183 Posts
"proper article"

Because articles are written by trustworthy independent media companies that noone individually cross checks

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-28-2021, 10:56 AM   #11
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

It's terrifying to know how recently these places were operational, too. Last one closed in 1996!
mr00jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 11:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
Why would you use some crudely drawn image as any official source of news.

At least link a proper fucking article.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3943954/c...enate-website/

That said, read the article - she's far worse than whatever your meme portrays her to be. She's like an older grosser Canadian MTG.
Most people should know how big of a piece of shit she is. This was just meant to be a reminder.

Another great harper appointee.
Old 05-28-2021, 12:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
"proper article"

Because articles are written by trustworthy independent media companies that noone individually cross checks

Uh, yeah, "proper article". Your dissemination of 'fake news' aside, published articles vs a meme...

Old 05-28-2021, 01:01 PM   #14
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,001 Times in 1,907 Posts
^ not to inflame, but both can be true. That yes, on the one hand, atrocities were committed, 215 or more children killed and it is beyond sickening. On the other, it is very possible that some Indigenous people had a positive experience in residential school systems, I've met a few. Safe to say that the overwhelming number of stories are negative.

Last edited by whitev70r; 05-28-2021 at 01:22 PM.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 02:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
^ not to inflame, but both can be true. That yes, on the one hand, atrocities were committed, 215 or more children killed and it is beyond sickening. On the other, it is very possible that some Indigenous people had a positive experience in residential school systems, I've met a few. Safe to say that the overwhelming number of stories are negative.
They where taken away from there families. I don't know how anyone could call that a good time.

Last edited by Manic!; 05-28-2021 at 02:35 PM.
Manic! is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2021, 02:48 PM   #16

Thanked 8,917 Times in 3,876 Posts
Law of averages means I would assume at least one kid was removed from an even more abusive home? But that's gonna be a tiny number and a complete fluke. Same deal that presumably a couple of the people working at them weren't completely horrible but that doesn't negate all the others who were just awful.

I'm also assuming at least some of these deaths were due to the childhood mortality rate of the day, but again that's probably gonna be a small number and even then their odds weren't gonna be helped by the circumstances.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 04:14 PM   #17
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,437 Times in 5,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
They where taken away from there families. I don't know how anyone could call that a good time.
Depends how shitty your family is. I have at least 1 friend I can think of who’s indigenous that I honestly can’t believe is alive today hearing his growing up stories, literally still exists despite his “family” basically doing everything possible to ensure he never made it.

That said, even he never said he wished he went to a residential school... ugh
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 07:01 PM   #18
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts

Edit: my older brother went to Catholic school in the early 80’s and my mom said his teacher took the yard stick to him as punishment for something he did.. I can assure you whatever he did was likely minimal as he is the opposite of a bad seed. He was 5 or 6 years old in Kindergarten. She was raised Catholic but immediately recognized that it was inappropriate and pulled him out to attend public school.

For some fucked up reason adults using physical force on children was acceptable, or frighteningly perhaps encouraged, back then by the church to impose their will and keep followers in check.

That one incident shielded me from the institution and I’m very thankful for that. I’ve been an atheist since the day I decided on my own as a youngster that I trust science and evolution theory over some mythical story about greater powers.

My bro lurks RS and rarely posts. If you read this, thanks for whatever you did. Bullet dodged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?

Last edited by punkwax; 05-28-2021 at 07:46 PM.
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2021, 07:26 PM   #19

The Catholic Church is legit the most evil organization the world has ever known. It’s not even close.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:10 PM   #20

C'mon ... back in that generation, I got whipped by the feather duster for doing diddly .. physical punishment was not an exclusive domain of the Catholic religion. Although I didn't lay a hand on my kids, I appreciate my parents and never held 'beatings' as a grudge against them.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:21 PM   #21

Yea but their frequent and relentless molestation and exploitation of minors over literal centuries is kind of a black Mark..

I’d venture to say anyone at virtually any important level whether it be here in Vancouver or in butfuck Uganda can be tied to the abuse of children.

I’ve never been a tiny bit religious, never raised that way never once went to church. The only time I’ve been inside are for weddings, funerals, and tourism. My wife’s family was raised catholic but my wife who is well educated had shortly come to her senses. They have a priest that’s kind of a family friend type. Part of a bunch of their baptisms etc. Known them forever. The guy drives like a brand new X5 lives in West Van. I’m not sayin, but I’m sayin.

Honestly I’ve never really taken much into aboriginal affairs as I try to avoid it but this story is pretty fucking terrible
Old 05-28-2021, 08:24 PM   #22
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
C'mon ... back in that generation, I got whipped by the feather duster for doing diddly .. physical punishment was not an exclusive domain of the Catholic religion. Although I didn't lay a hand on my kids, I appreciate my parents and never held 'beatings' as a grudge against them.
So it was your parents with the feather duster and not a teacher, am I reading that right?

If so, you simply can’t compare the two situations. I scold my kids when they push limits too far. If I saw another adult do the same, I’d defend the shit out of them unless they were blatantly in the wrong. Even then, I’d tell the adult it’s not their place and let me handle it.

Your comparison is apples and pickles if I read that right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?

Last edited by punkwax; 05-28-2021 at 08:31 PM.
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 08:51 PM   #23

Back in HK, in that gen, I'm sure students got the ruler. Piano teachers whacked students hands ... again, not defending this type of discipline, nor am I defending Catholic church ... just sayin it was a lot more common and part of the way of handling children in the 70's, 80's ... and certainly in the 40's, 50's and 60's. It wasn't only the Catholic church that did it. You can rightly sh*t on the Catholic church for a LOT of things like molestation, sexual assault, cover ups, reassigning guilty priests to other parishes, homosexual priests molesting boys, etc. But to pin corporal punishment on Catholic church, well, it wasn't jus them ..., there are a lot worst things that the RC church did.

Last edited by whitev70r; 05-28-2021 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-29-2021, 08:49 AM   #24
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,170 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr00jimbo View Post
It's terrifying to know how recently these places were operational, too. Last one closed in 1996!
Among the many fucked up things about residential schools is that they were still running in the 90s. The FUCKING 90s!!!!! At least American abolished slavery a century ago (their greatest sin) while our greatest sin was still alive when I became an adult. It's just bonkers.

Also, how are there not people in prison for this? This was not just a case of schools being tough or gov't support - much of what happened was/is a crime. Sexual and physical abuse, murder, etc. Many of the people who ran these schools are still alive - how is it that they walk free?
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2021, 08:50 AM   #25
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,170 Times in 960 Posts
https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...ential-schools

Quote:
The commission ultimately determined that at least 3,200 children died while a student at a Residential School; one in every 50 students enrolled during the program’s nearly 120-year existence. That’s a death rate comparable to the number of Canadian POWs who died in the custody of Nazi Germany during the Second World War.
That is some kind of fucked up.
This post thanked by: