REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-21-2022, 11:20 AM   #626
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Last Summer? Yeah love seeing 700+ mostly elderly and infirm people die, love that shit. /s
Advertisement

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2022, 11:24 AM   #627
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Last Summer? Yeah love seeing 700+ mostly elderly and infirm people die, love that shit. /s
Actually you right, I kind of forgot about that part maybe not that hot but bring on the heat.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2022, 11:30 AM   #628

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
Ehhh I want some warm but anything over 25 degrees fucks me up. My old dog cant handle walks super hot either.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2022, 11:33 AM   #629
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
What’s been weird lately are these humid days..

Hardly ever get these kinda gross muggy days here that I can remember but there’s been quite a few this season
Old 06-21-2022, 12:06 PM   #630
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
What’s been weird lately are these humid days..

Hardly ever get these kinda gross muggy days here that I can remember but there’s been quite a few this season
The weather station will say it is all La Niña's doing, but personally, I kind of attribute it more to the effects of climate change as a whole.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 12:38 PM   #631
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

fukn sprinkler main line to valve box just broke randomly right as hot weather coming. RIP. Hope my fix does not involve digging.
nismodrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 07:49 AM   #632
My homepage has been set to RS

So glad I installed my portable A/C before the heat this weekend. I've been basking in a cool condo the whole time. Didn't leave the house until 7pm yesterday, was beautiful once the sun started going down.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 09:20 AM   #633
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,025 Posts
Slept in the basement. 21C Sat night, 23C last night. Have to turn on the AC today though since we need to work and our offices aren't in the basement.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-27-2022, 09:33 AM   #634
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,455 Times in 988 Posts
used my ac for the first time yesterday, so nice. what do you guys set your temp at? I found 23.5C was pretty comfortable for me.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 09:45 AM   #635

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
used my ac for the first time yesterday, so nice. what do you guys set your temp at? I found 23.5C was pretty comfortable for me.
Usually 22 or 23.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
Old 06-27-2022, 09:53 AM   #636
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
22 at my place

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 10:15 AM   #637
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Set the temp? I crank it as low as it can go and hope it can maintain 22-23 degrees
Old 06-27-2022, 10:28 AM   #638
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,433 Times in 5,107 Posts
Isn’t that bad for the unit though? It can freeze up below 72f
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 10:52 AM   #639
in the butt

Thanked 3,220 Times in 1,183 Posts
It can only freeze up if there is less than 400cfm/ton, or undercharged
Or cheaper units with outdoor temps below x, usually 60f

A proper ac unit can run 24/7

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-27-2022, 11:46 AM   #640
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
23. Still figuring things out with my house as we're a long skinny house that's aligned east-west. In the morning my living room/kitchen faces the sun and can get quite warm while my bedroom faces west and stays cool and it flip flops late in the day. Keeping the living room at 23 means the rest of the house is a bit chilly.

Any folks run their AC via a Nest? I have a set of Nests for my heating and am thinking of putting in a Nest to handle my AC as well - just the basic model with a sensor to put in the living room.
Old 06-27-2022, 02:02 PM   #641

Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,763 Posts
Portable AC with a Nest?

I don't know any consumer portable AC's that have input contacts for control by conventional thermostats.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 04:10 PM   #642
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
i just got the portable AC unit up on saturday. Running at 21 degrees all day without issue
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 04:20 PM   #643
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Run my portable at the lowest setting - 17 degrees...what is all this 20+ BS? I can't feel that shit. But then I only run it a couple hours at a time at most.

Even when I'm visiting hot/humid Asia it's always defaulted to the lowest setting - 16 degrees.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-27-2022, 04:52 PM   #644
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Portable AC with a Nest?

I don't know any consumer portable AC's that have input contacts for control by conventional thermostats.
Sorry, I got central air in my house so wondering how people manage that with the rest of their heating system.

Thought we only had ballers in this thread.
Old 06-28-2022, 06:51 AM   #645

Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,763 Posts
You can wire a single nest to control both heating and cooling.

Although if your AC system is one of the newer inverter variable speed compressor styles, best to just use the controller that came with the system.

Conventional T-stats (like the nest) are basically on/off, stage1/stage2 and can't take proper advantage of the variable speed functionality.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 07:45 AM   #646

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Run my portable at the lowest setting - 17 degrees...what is all this 20+ BS? I can't feel that shit. But then I only run it a couple hours at a time at most.

Even when I'm visiting hot/humid Asia it's always defaulted to the lowest setting - 16 degrees.
At 22 with our central air my wife was wearing a sweater in the house last year when we had that heat wave.

Old 06-28-2022, 08:34 AM   #647
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Who else with mid-efficiency furnaces is pondering their next HVAC purchases?

We've got both baseboard heating and ducting for a furnace in our home. Unfortunately, our baseboards are upstairs where it gets the hottest during heat waves. Our furnace is 26 years old and while we get it serviced each year, eventually it's going to go. With the way our house is laid out, a heat pump is not going to completely solve our cooling issues, but it will help a lot. I don't think we would ever invest in mini-splits for all of our bedrooms as an upgrade of that nature would probably cost tens of thousands of dollars when all said and done.

Governments are throwing money at people to switch over to electric heat pumps. Operating costs may be higher, but the capital cost incentives are pretty enticing for your typical cash-strapped family trying to juggle costs.

A high-efficiency furnace with A/C costs about 12-15K. Natural/renewable gas is going to become more expensive in the future with the planned increases to the carbon tax as well as potential changes to how FortisBC will spread the costs of their renewable natural gas supply across their customer base. I imagine that a high efficiency heat pump probably is about 15K, but government rebates could bring that cost down significantly. But, use of the heat pump and our baseboard heaters in the winter would definitely bring us into Tier 2 electricity rates considering the amount of windows (double-pane vinyl, 25 years old, no plans to replace in the immediate future) that we have.

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot out there in terms of analyses around long-term operating costs. Not an easy decision to be sure...
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 08:43 AM   #648
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
We are in tier 2 pricing half way through every month in the winter with 4 baseboard heaters (3 in wall heaters one traditional baseboard) and our radiant heating

In hindsight I 100% would have ripped out our relatively new gas furnace and figured out a dual zone system or even just forced my tenant to live within the temps we do lol. Electric heat is a HUGE portion of our cost of living, even if gas was to shoot up I think it would be cheaper
Old 07-01-2022, 12:29 AM   #649
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

meanwhile in Shanghai, I'm outside riding my bike with my kid in 37 degree weather... I can't wait to get back to Van's 25 degree summers....

But being used to the 35+ heat for so long, 25 inside feels normal for me. It's really the humidity that kills
Old 07-03-2022, 06:53 PM   #650
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
early july and it's 11C raining all day..

at least i didnt buy that bbq or hammock
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: