REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-10-2022, 12:45 AM   #526
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
biked around midday for errand, looked at next hour forecast to decide if go with goretex or nah...said clear as day

in the 2 hour timeframe it was sun, rain, hail then complete sun again where the road dried up in 15min

i feel like we get rainy stretches in may but never this on and off as we inch towards may long weekend?
Advertisement
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 12:21 PM   #527
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,104 Times in 974 Posts
Walmart-RCA 12,000 BTU AC unit $389.98

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/rca-120.../6000205043889

RCA 14,000 BTU AC unit $448

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/rca-140.../6000205043891
tegra7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2022, 05:56 AM   #528
RS controls my life!

are we expecting a hot summer still? LOL
Old 05-13-2022, 06:27 AM   #529
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
That’s the thing. We are in a climate of extremes. Gonna be fucked if it happens for a myriad of reasons, and it probably will.
The melt is going to be like something we haven’t seen in decades. It’s probably the biggest snowpack since 99 and that was like double-triple the average back then.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 08:22 AM   #530
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
That’s the thing. We are in a climate of extremes. Gonna be fucked if it happens for a myriad of reasons, and it probably will.
The melt is going to be like something we haven’t seen in decades. It’s probably the biggest snowpack since 99 and that was like double-triple the average back then.
So epic flood #2?
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 08:23 AM   #531
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,340 Times in 5,649 Posts
Always somthing duck. Not enough snow pack, tripping about water levels etc.

Too much rain and snow, now run off and no help for fires..wonderful
Old 05-13-2022, 08:51 AM   #532

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
So epic flood #2?
I’m not smart enough to know for sure, but there’s no doubt it’s possible. Yeah he longer it stays cold, the better chance there will be a drastic temperature change and extended timeline of hot weather. We won’t just stay cold all summer. If the snowmelt is a quick process, it will definitely overflow rivers and streams. If that gets paired with warmer weather and rain, it will be an absolute clusterfuck. This is the essence of climate change. More severe weather events more often. Gradual warmup is a must to mitigate the risk, and we have zero control of that. If you are near fresh water, read that home insurance policy again.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-16-2022, 06:27 AM   #533
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
you can see it in whistler....still a ton of snow up (and still snowing) top but bare mid way up the hill. saw bears walking on one of the lower runs while taking the gondola up blackcomb two weekends ago.
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2022, 07:05 AM   #534

That’s actually good to hear lower elevations at least have lost a ton of snow already as they will have the most drastic temp change. Or maybe it’s going to be 14 and raining all summer at this rate.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-16-2022, 08:27 AM   #535
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
The last few years of worsening and more obvious effects of climate change has really altered one of my views towards areas that are prone to climate change devastation. IMO, instead of building -- and more importantly, rebuilding -- homes and communities that are known to be prone to the damaging effects of climate change, I think people and governments really need to look at the issue with a hard dose of reality and accept the concept of climate change refugees, right here at home in Canada / in BC.

I look at Lytton, and see how they are planning to get the town rebuild. They are known to be an extremely hot spot for years in the running. Recently, Princeton was saying that they are concerned about getting flooded by the snow melt again. I know people feel an attachment to their homes, but climate devastation at this level is not something we can fight against and come out winning. Wouldn't it be better to pick and choose your fights?

Quote:
I’m not smart enough to know for sure, but there’s no doubt it’s possible. Yeah he longer it stays cold, the better chance there will be a drastic temperature change and extended timeline of hot weather. We won’t just stay cold all summer. If the snowmelt is a quick process, it will definitely overflow rivers and streams. If that gets paired with warmer weather and rain, it will be an absolute clusterfuck. This is the essence of climate change. More severe weather events more often. Gradual warmup is a must to mitigate the risk, and we have zero control of that. If you are near fresh water, read that home insurance policy again.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2022, 08:40 AM   #536
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Holy fukn downpour yesterday evening.
nismodrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 11:15 AM   #537

yup and wednesday is another day of heavy rain

brutal
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 11:47 AM   #538

Thanked 4,575 Times in 1,719 Posts
Worst April and May weather in a long time, hoping this isn't indicative of the upcoming summer.

Thank god we're fucking off to La Paz on Wednesday.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 12:08 PM   #539

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
The last few years of worsening and more obvious effects of climate change has really altered one of my views towards areas that are prone to climate change devastation. IMO, instead of building -- and more importantly, rebuilding -- homes and communities that are known to be prone to the damaging effects of climate change, I think people and governments really need to look at the issue with a hard dose of reality and accept the concept of climate change refugees, right here at home in Canada / in BC.

I look at Lytton, and see how they are planning to get the town rebuild. They are known to be an extremely hot spot for years in the running. Recently, Princeton was saying that they are concerned about getting flooded by the snow melt again. I know people feel an attachment to their homes, but climate devastation at this level is not something we can fight against and come out winning. Wouldn't it be better to pick and choose your fights?
Lol the govt. props up communities of thousands of people that only have access by air. There’s no chance they are going to move communities of non-indigenous people at that expense. They’d rather let them burn and have people fight endlessly with insurance companies
Old 05-16-2022, 05:10 PM   #540

Thanked 4,803 Times in 1,765 Posts
I'm actually not minding this cold weather, need to burn off what's left in my oil tank now that my Greener Homes Grant Application has been approved, I'm getting a heat pump installed in another month or so.

I probably won't need my portable AC unit anymore either, or maybe I'll hook it up in my Garage somehow.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 09:43 PM   #541
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Lol the govt. props up communities of thousands of people that only have access by air. There’s no chance they are going to move communities of non-indigenous people at that expense. They’d rather let them burn and have people fight endlessly with insurance companies
I wouldn't look at it that way. Take Lytton, for example. If I were Hulk Horgan (or maybe even Turdeau), I'd look at the one-time cost of relocating / buying out every single resident in the village versus the rebuilding + recurring cost of rescuing them when climate disaster hits the fan over the next X-number of years. Even if the World were successful in meeting the 1.5°C target from the Paris Agreement -- and that's a BIG IF -- we know climate diasters are still going to get worse before it stablizes or gets better. So that pretty much means the people of Lytton are going to need rescuing and rebuilding at least a few times.

When basic infrastructure is destroyed to the level that we've seen (at Lytton), I would be very surprised if the one-time relocation cost isn't cheaper than the recurring rebuilding cost.

Turning to Princeton, News 1130 is saying that 2022 is the 6th (consecutive) year where the Princeton community got hit by one thing or another -- mostly wildfires and flooding. At what point do you want to say "enough is enough"?

Building back better is one thing. Tossing $$$ down a recurring and bottomless pit is quite another when you know shxt is just going to hit the fan again and again.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2022, 10:14 PM   #542
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,924 Times in 3,877 Posts
For one city, sure. But how many others will end up needing the same treatment? Are they buying out all of Richmond if the sea level predictions are correct? And where are you relocating them to?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 11:21 PM   #543
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Lytton population: 249
Richmond population: 216,288

Great comparison.
Old 05-17-2022, 06:02 AM   #544

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I wouldn't look at it that way. Take Lytton, for example. If I were Hulk Horgan (or maybe even Turdeau), I'd look at the one-time cost of relocating / buying out every single resident in the village versus the rebuilding + recurring cost of rescuing them when climate disaster hits the fan over the next X-number of years. Even if the World were successful in meeting the 1.5°C target from the Paris Agreement -- and that's a BIG IF -- we know climate diasters are still going to get worse before it stablizes or gets better. So that pretty much means the people of Lytton are going to need rescuing and rebuilding at least a few times.

When basic infrastructure is destroyed to the level that we've seen (at Lytton), I would be very surprised if the one-time relocation cost isn't cheaper than the recurring rebuilding cost.

Turning to Princeton, News 1130 is saying that 2022 is the 6th (consecutive) year where the Princeton community got hit by one thing or another -- mostly wildfires and flooding. At what point do you want to say "enough is enough"?

Building back better is one thing. Tossing $$$ down a recurring and bottomless pit is quite another when you know shxt is just going to hit the fan again and again.
oh i agree, at this point 100% its cheaper to move everyone from Lytton

but this is our land! we did some irrelevant shit here 400 years ago!! so you MUST rebuild our homes in this fucking gulch that is basically under the lense of a magnifying glass with 48 degree temps! lol

your average, rational, person should want to move out of that hell hole.. but it would be a PR nightmare to even suggest it
Old 05-17-2022, 06:22 AM   #545
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,438 Times in 5,110 Posts
USA and the State itself and everyone’s pocketbook through premiums rebuilds half the fuckin coast of Florida and Louisiana every year…

At least you could understand why someone would want to be by the water in Florida though, unlike….. Lytton….
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2022, 08:52 AM   #546
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,924 Times in 3,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Lytton population: 249
Richmond population: 216,288

Great comparison.
Well where do you draw the line? Because you will have to set it somewhere or idiots will be whining and suing the gov't for ages because Lytton was bought out and they weren't. You cannot just do it once and then leave it open to interpretation. There's a bunch of projection maps like this out out there.

If they're even vaguely accurate, a lot of land is going to be a lot less habitable than Lytton is.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-17-2022, 09:12 AM   #547
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,698 Times in 3,128 Posts
^ hey those endowed rich assholes with 20-30million dollar homes are still okay!!!

even global warming is biased
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2022, 10:22 AM   #548
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post

If they're even vaguely accurate, a lot of land is going to be a lot less habitable than Lytton is.
That’s a 66 metre rise, or 6,600cm

From 1901 to 2018, global seal levels have risen 24cm.

As measured between 2006-2015 the average global increase is 3.6mm a year.

Predicted in North America the average coastal increase will be 3.9m by 2150. Far short of the 66m projected on that map.

Not saying you’re wrong, it’s an interesting topic of debate. But by that math it would be another 2,200 years before we reach that map. I highly doubt our society will last anywhere that long haha. poisoning of the planet will kill us long before

Old 05-17-2022, 10:24 AM   #549
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Nice! Looks like I'll have waterfront property on Coquitlam Island. I can take a boat to visit the wife by Cemetery Bay. Always buy property up high............ works for me. Also, shit runs downhill. Better to be on top half than at the bottom.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2022, 10:25 AM   #550
in the butt

Thanked 3,220 Times in 1,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
but this is our land! we did some irrelevant shit here 400 years ago!!
Tell that to a native and see how he responds

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote