REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-28-2021, 08:53 AM   #101
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,395 Times in 5,090 Posts
I saw someone on Facebook yesterday saying ICBC “legally scammed” them taking back their rental car 3 days after settling with them for their car that was totalled in an accident. They say that’s not enough time for them to get another car!

People have lost all sense of what the word scam even means lol
Advertisement
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 08:58 AM   #102
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,402 Times in 858 Posts
Drove out to Hope and back on Saturday - 4.5 hours with no AC. Even with the windows down it felt like a hair dryer blowing at us.

Hard to fathom it'll be even hotter this week. Stay cool all, especially those with furry friends, little ones, or grandparents.
Old 06-28-2021, 09:30 AM   #103
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
Some businesses are closing for the day. Went to Shoppers Drug Mart to pick up my Flex Delivery and noticed White Spot will be closed today due to the heat wave.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:56 AM   #104
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
we're moving to a new shop and we bought a new AC for our little office last september, but since we havent moved yet we had it in our storage. since then we decided to go with a heat pump so we have no more use for it. none of my friends needed it so i put it on craigslist and within 5 minutes i had 7 messages and several phone calls. i paid $211 for it and asked for $200 firm. i hate it when ppl gouge so i'm not doin it either.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2021, 10:10 AM   #105
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,395 Times in 5,090 Posts
^ Hope they don't turn around and use it to gouge someone though! That's the part would really piss me off haha
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2021, 10:20 AM   #106
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
Hear me out...

The forecast is for 43C inland which his 110F. A rare steak is 120-130F so find yourself a nice asphalt shingle or slab of road and go "sous vide' a steak. You can probably get to medium rare after 90 mins.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-28-2021, 10:30 AM   #107
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

For the past ~ decade or so, we thought our furnace was 2-wire control. We knew it had been replaced with a modern unit before we moved in, but the “Fan” switch on the thermostat never worked. NBD. Never really thought much.
Just being so hot these couple days, i thought i would run down and flip on the manual fan switch (like an old school furnace). Welp, it’s a modern one right? So all electronic controls, and turned out it was 3-wire control. Thank goodness for google and model numbers, i found the wiring diagrams for both the furnace and t-stat. Red 24VAC, White HEAT, and Green FAN. After some voltage testing and continuity tests, i found out the “FAN” relay inside the t-stat had been blown this whole time. I heard it click all these years lol. Bypassed the t-stat and jumped red to green. Although not A/C, at least we have some airflow through the house now
Old 06-28-2021, 11:11 AM   #108
My homepage has been set to RS

I couldn't sleep last night. Our condo was suffocating - it felt like I couldn't breath. Ended up passing out on the couch at 4:00am once our place finally cooled down a bit. Then I woke up at 6:00am with light shining through the curtains - dreading tonight.

We have been in our place for 4 summers and never had the need for AC, even when it was hot (or what we previously perceived as hot), it was OK. Going to pick up an AC unit this fall/winter for next year. At least we have a couple of fans to move the hot air around
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 11:19 AM   #109
in the butt

Thanked 3,216 Times in 1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
. Kept seeing people comment "scammer" for those selling at higher than msrp. It's like fuck, how are they scamming anyone..
I love me a classic CL angry person post

"CAR FLIPPER STAY CLEAR, SCAM, CURBER"

welcome to business 101, you might be surprized the groceries you buy, along with literally everything else, are curbed by companies

Every day is a hustle

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 11:53 AM   #110
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

i've been hiding in my site trailer for most of the day and just turned AC for the first time this year.....i just walked out side and it 100% legit felt like when i was in Egypt 2 summers ago. after this many days of being hot the air has dried out enough

it's fuckin HOT

app is telling me it's 40C
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2021, 12:12 PM   #111
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
i've been hiding in my site trailer for most of the day and just turned AC for the first time this year.....i just walked out side and it 100% legit felt like when i was in Egypt 2 summers ago. after this many days of being hot the air has dried out enough

it's fuckin HOT

app is telling me it's 40C
I enjoy stepping out every once in a while, it makes me feel like im on a vacation in LA.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2021, 12:59 PM   #112
MG1

I came home this morning from my usual galavanting and parked the car under the tent I had set up this last week. It is set up next to the backyard garden. As I look over, I see my prized pom pom dahlias wilting in this ungodly heat. I immediately went to water them. Poor babies.............. I remembered to bleed the initial stream of water from hell and started gently moistening the dirt around the plants. As I sprinkled the leaves, they immediately started to jump back to life. Amazing, it was. Anyway, I then continued to water the rest of the garden, being careful not to water the leaves of the roses (worst thing to do with roses). My youngest son comes looking for me and says, WTF, Dad? You're not wearing your hat. I look at the time, and I've been out there for 45 minutes without a hat! My daughter texted me, "I don't want to lose the only parent I have left." That hit home hard. I immediately went inside and said to myself plants can be replaced, repaired, replanted, etc. Humans, not so much. I've now locked my self in the bedroom where the AC is blasting. I'm bourd out of my gored, so posting shit on RS is about all I can do. No Blue Jays today and not interested in watching scHabs hockey. No more Matlock reruns anymore.

This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2021, 01:15 PM   #113
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
my pineapple trees are loving this weather

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2021, 01:48 PM   #114

Thanked 6,689 Times in 1,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
I came home this morning from my usual galavanting....
Thanked for use of the word galivanting - such an excellent word.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2021, 02:10 PM   #115
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
I came home this morning from my usual galavanting and parked the car under the tent I had set up this last week. It is set up next to the backyard garden. As I look over, I see my prized pom pom dahlias wilting in this ungodly heat. I immediately went to water them. Poor babies.............. I remembered to bleed the initial stream of water from hell and started gently moistening the dirt around the plants. As I sprinkled the leaves, they immediately started to jump back to life. Amazing, it was. Anyway, I then continued to water the rest of the garden, being careful not to water the leaves of the roses (worst thing to do with roses). My youngest son comes looking for me and says, WTF, Dad? You're not wearing your hat. I look at the time, and I've been out there for 45 minutes without a hat! My daughter texted me, "I don't want to lose the only parent I have left." That hit home hard. I immediately went inside and said to myself plants can be replaced, repaired, replanted, etc. Humans, not so much. I've now locked my self in the bedroom where the AC is blasting. I'm bourd out of my gored, so posting shit on RS is about all I can do. No Blue Jays today and not interested in watching scHabs hockey. No more Matlock reruns anymore.
Take care! I can’t believe I encountered a dahlia grower on revscene of all places. What varieties do you grow?

It’s around the time they start to bloom so it’s painful to watch the dahlia buds droop in the sun like that. I have most of mine in pots so I’ve moved the struggling ones to the shade. I’ve been going outside every 1-2 hours to water my hydrangeas that are looking equally as sad. I keep reassuring myself that they will put out new growth after the heat wave! 😄
kula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 02:10 PM   #116
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
Thanked for use of the word galivanting - such an excellent word.
what's even weirder is the spelling of the word. I use the not-so-often used spelling of the word, gallivanting.

Old 06-28-2021, 02:31 PM   #117

Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,518 Posts
My office is inside our warehouse. Its suffocating hot in here even with the ceiling fans going and both bay doors on both ends of the warehouse open. We're doing interviews tomorrow for a job openining. It's so hot that I called each candidate and asked them if it was okay if we moved the interview location to our air conditioned Vancouver showroom. It's really for me LOL.
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2021, 02:35 PM   #118
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kula View Post
Take care! I can’t believe I encountered a dahlia grower on revscene of all places. What varieties do you grow?

It’s around the time they start to bloom so it’s painful to watch the dahlia buds droop in the sun like that. I have most of mine in pots so I’ve moved the struggling ones to the shade. I’ve been going outside every 1-2 hours to water my hydrangeas that are looking equally as sad. I keep reassuring myself that they will put out new growth after the heat wave! ��
I purchased a bag of red dahlias years ago from Costco. Not sure what variety, but it is as hardy as any plant can be. Over the years, it kept growing bigger and bigger. I don't look after them at all. Five years now, I think. It got so big that I dug the tubers up and gave more than half away to my Italian neighbours. I thought for sure they wouldn't grow back, but there they are. As bushy as ever. They're almost like weeds, the way they grow. The pom pom dahlias I purchased this year for the first time, is from a place out in Mission. Ferncliffe Gardens, I believe. Five out of five of them have sprouted (can I use that term for tubers?). The three I bought from Gardenworks are the ones that are wilting in this heat. Only two of them have come out of the ground. They are beside the original bushes, so not sure why they aren't doing well. I may have forgotten to put bonemeal into the dirt when planting. My gladiolus are looking great. I tell ya, nothing like sea soil. SO, I really don't know much about dahlias, except aphids are gross. I used to use pesticides (Safers Endall), but started just spraying them off with a powerful shot of water. Like when that planet was destroyed in Star Wars, I heard/felt a thousand screams as they all died in an instant. Aphids' heads are stuck on the plant and the water just decapitates them, as the bodies aren't sticking to the plant. My neighbour just wipes them off the plant stalks with his fingers. Yuck, not me. I don't want to go anywhere near those ugly things. From far away, they look like a coat of tar. Up close, there are thousands of them. Ants actually farm aphids, so get rid of them and the aphid problem isn't as big a deal.

As for Hydrangea's, I have no luck with the one I have. It looks like Charlie Brown's christmas tree. Sea soil might not be for them. I will have to transplant it into a pot. Roses don't like sea soil, either. According to Brad at Select Roses. Now roses, I have lots of. Everything from Florabunda and climbers to the most amazing hybrid teas. I have this rose called dark knight. It starts out black and turns into a deep deep purple. I have a pure white variety called, Pope John Paul, that's stunning next to a velvety crimson red rose variety I have no tag for. Anyway, an orange coloured rose just started to bloom. So many varieties of roses. So beautiful.

Anyway............... I talk too much.

Old 06-28-2021, 03:12 PM   #119
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,038 Times in 2,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabs View Post
I enjoy stepping out every once in a while, it makes me feel like im on a vacation in LA.
Took the garbage down to the curb this morning and I had a Mexico flashback.

Quote:
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 03:33 PM   #120
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
My suv's ac can't cope with the weather, wtf, even my dinky car rentals in other countries have performed better
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 03:45 PM   #121
MG1

Time for a recharge........... night and day difference.

This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2021, 03:49 PM   #122
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,038 Times in 2,075 Posts
Here’s a groupon for an AC recharge: https://www.groupon.com/deals/mighty...e-south-surrey

Quote:
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2021, 03:51 PM   #123
MG1

He lives in CELICAland......... really, really far from Surrey.

This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2021, 03:53 PM   #124
Need to Seek Professional Help

If you guys don't have an air purifier now might be the time to do it. If it's going to be a long, hot, dry summer then we might be in for a crazy forest fire season...
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2021, 06:23 PM   #125
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
If you guys don't have an air purifier now might be the time to do it. If it's going to be a long, hot, dry summer then we might be in for a crazy forest fire season...
Have two unopened ones from the last time we had that scare. Actually, down to one, as I gave one to my daughter when she moved out. I even have extra HEPA filters for them. I also have a Dyson Hot and Cool purifier in the master bedroom. It is very nice. Well worth the money. My second one is a Sharp purifier. It hasn't been used for a few years. I have new filter for it, but need the activated charcoal thing, which costs more than the new purifiers I got from Costco. The sharp has this Ion Plasma Cluster do-hickey on it that's very cool (I actually don't know what it does). Anyway, thanks for the heads up. Air quality isn't good as it is. Wild fires from as far away as California gonna make it worse.

This post thanked by: